Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 8:00:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Big Hands, so Quads with Covers feel perfect.

Yes, they weigh more, but I don't have to have little bits & pieces to attach "stuff" to the rail(s).

For a "super lite" build, MLOK is less weight.   For a "Hard Use" gun, I can't fault good old Picatinny.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 9:28:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
All of my new rifles and builds for the last several years have been Mlok and I replaced a couple of my old pic rails with Mlok. I have no complaints with the rails I have as they are all high quality but the system itself is kind of a pain in the ass. I have often found myself longing for the simplicity, security and modularity of my old pic rails.

The recent stripped torx head on an Mlok screw was the last straw.

I’m probably not going to replace the ones I have but the new rails/uppers I buy will be good old fashioned uncool picatinny.
View Quote

All my rifles are running quad rails. It takes longer to heat the rail up and the rail cools off quicker. Plus as you said, the options for picatinny mounted objects is unlimited. Not to mention anything you mount to it will always hold zero. It's also stronger than M-Lok rails.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 2:58:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Has anyone used the Spikes CRR rails?  I used their bar rail way back in the day and it was great but heavy. They claim 6oz with barrel nut for the CRR quad rail for a 7”. I kinda want to get one if that’s true and they are decent.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 10:25:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I prefer 1913 Pic.  I’ve owned all sorts 1913, Keymod, HKey (or whatever HK jacked from BCM), MLOK, LM8, LWRC’s proprietary system, Colt’s early 901 proprietary system, etc.

For mounting stuff, 1913 all day.

For durability, 1913.

For aesthetics, 1913.

For heat dissipation, 1913.

For variety of direct attachment accessories, 1913.

For weight, MLOK.

5 to 1 vote goes to 1913 Pic.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 10:39:43 PM EDT
[#5]
MLOK is very typical of MagPul.  They do a great job of selling us stuff we really don’t need that actually isn’t any better than what we have.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 12:06:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I’ve tried to love mlok and while it certainly has its benefits I’ve gotten rid of all of it and have quad rails on everything again for the last few years. I did like the slim profile but prefer how I grip a quad rail and how easy accessories are to add and remove. I also like how they heat cycle and how they generally feel tougher.

On my 14.5 I’ve got a 13.2 larue quad with a noveske Afghan barrel. Pretty heavy combo for my all-round woods bumming, varmint hunting, steel shooting, tactical plinker shtf rifle…but it’s steady off hand, balances really well and suits me to a T.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 2:33:56 PM EDT
[#7]
MLOK handguards are also just plain cheaper for manufacturers to make, so there’s an economic reason for their existence as well.

I have a mix of MLOK and 1913 handguards, speaking for myself.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 3:01:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Never left, except for a couple M-Lok project guns. Most of my stuff has 1913 rails.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:14:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Just bought the DD M4A1 upper. Already had the MK18. I have other rails but prefer the picatinny. RIS II picatinny quad rail, Daniel Defense Rail -Panels made from Santoprene, heat resistant to 300° F protects the women's hands.

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:37:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quad me!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 12:45:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Slim, light quads like the DD, BCM, Centurion are where it's at
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 12:52:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quad master race here! With that said, I have Mlok as well. Key mod will never be considered on any weapon I own. NEVER!
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 12:53:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 4:42:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yup

Link Posted: 6/6/2022 9:11:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've lived on both sides of the fence and have come to the same realization.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 8:23:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 12:54:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Idem, I asked myself the same question.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 3:07:42 PM EDT
[#18]
I recently setup my first m-lok rail (URX4) and it wasn't horrible, but I could see why some would stick to 1913.

I was going to run a RISII for my personal build, but was surprised to see URX 3.1's in-stock a couple moths ago, so I went that route.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 12:04:52 PM EDT
[#19]
'Cheese grater' for life!

First, an ARMS S.I.R., then Troy/Samson rails, now DDM4.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 7:30:27 PM EDT
[#20]
The original Daniel Defense M4 rail is still my favorite.
Here is the 13.5 version with a Douglas 18" SPR barrel.

Link Posted: 6/10/2022 7:35:21 AM EDT
[#21]
I had an original Daniel Defense 12” rail like that that was brown anodized.

Stupid stupid me traded away on something long forgotten.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 9:08:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Here is the 12" with a CLE Krieger light weight profile with OPS 12th cut.

STILL, my favorite AR, and as accurate as my 18" CLE Krieger with less (ZERO?) POI shift when mounting the 12th.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:21:22 PM EDT
[#23]
I already have started to.

Took an upper down to ADCO a week or two ago and saw a nice Troy drop in quad rail….spent more then I wanted to that day but I love that rail. I need a few more now to ditch that plastic magpul stuff.

We still have quads on our rifles at work and I love that
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 11:42:55 PM EDT
[#24]
I like HG’s with pic rails at just the distal end
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 2:13:22 AM EDT
[#25]
I love quad rails, my favorite being the Daniel Defense RIS II.  I’m starting to come around and have some MLOK rails as well, all Geissele.  My favorite MLOK rail is the Geissele MK8 which has the same profile and feel as a quad rail.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 5:28:55 PM EDT
[#26]
I think eventually someone will build a wedge interface that uses all QD pinch mounts. I love the light weight and ergonomics of MLOK, but it’s kind of hokey as a mounting system.

I envision something like this with my awesome rendering. The mount would cam into place, then once fully rotated, the swibg arms push out under spring pressure and hold it stable. To remove, simply pinch the levers together and rotate it. The levers could be on top (facing out from the rail) or on the sides. Cost wouldn’t be that much since there are $20 knives that use similar spring loading buttons.

One could also use screws for cost saving and rigidity.

Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:47:13 PM EDT
[#27]
The only thing better than a quad pic rail, is a monolithic upper quad pic rail.  LMT MRP or Colt 694x.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 1:53:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The best of both worlds would be full picatinny at 12 o'clock and picatinny for the front 3-4" at 3, 6 and 9 o'clock where you actually mount stuff and Mlok for slim diameter and comfort everywhere else.

you just described the PWS piclok rail
https://www.primaryweapons.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/m/k/mk116_mod2-m_upper_45.jpg

Or an ancient YHM "Customizable"

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 7:23:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The only thing better than a quad pic rail, is a monolithic upper quad pic rail.  LMT MRP or Colt 694x.
View Quote

No argument from me.

Link Posted: 7/24/2022 11:43:23 PM EDT
[#30]
To me,  URX 3’s and 3.1’s are the sweet spot between a full quad and the clamp on mlok tubes.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 12:08:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
MLOK is very typical of MagPul.  They do a great job of selling us stuff we really don’t need that actually isn’t any better than what we have.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/25/2022 12:47:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quad rail + KAC covers is where its at
View Quote
if you can palm a beach ball maybe.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 8:30:21 PM EDT
[#33]
My HD rifle that has a few things on it has a quad rail for maximum flexibility. Range rifles that just get sights and optics and get held and shot for long periods have Mlok and rail covers. A couple have bits of picatinny where they’re needed for something like a sling mount or a bipod that gets moved over from a quad rail rifle. Very irritating to find the perfect spot for something and realize you have to deal with a screw contacting the gas block or a barrel contour.

And shorter rails work better for me as quad rails. The less real estate you have the more placement flexibility you need.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 8:42:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Parallax Tactical, Free Float Super Slim Rail (FFSSR)

Been running this for years, really like them.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 2:23:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quad rail + KAC covers is where its at

Covers are for people with soft hands
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 11:43:02 PM EDT
[#36]
The DDM4 rail is pure sex
1.91 wide feels great. I want a 9 inch with 10.3 Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 4:59:56 PM EDT
[#37]
RIS II feels just right to me.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:14:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Larue makes a really good one that a lot of people look over because they are a old school company. 10/10 would recommend it though
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:20:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Larue makes a really good one that a lot of people look over because they are a old school company. 10/10 would recommend it though
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 11:24:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have 2 of them. a 10" and a 13.2
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 11:59:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That's definitely an improvement over the standard method.
View Quote

Except for the “don’t use it with a bipod, it tends to fall off” warning.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 12:01:10 AM EDT
[#42]
I have Quad, M Lok, and KeyMod. You can’t really argue that the Quad system isn’t a proven system! But it’s big and heavy! I think the KeyMod system is superior to the M Lok and the only reason M Lok is more prevalent is because it’s cheaper/quicker to machine and produce! The problem most people have with the torx and Allan head fasteners is they use cheap subpar tools! If you use a quality tool then you won’t strip heads on these fasteners! Purchase you a set of Wera brand torx and Allen keys and you won’t have an issue with stripping out heads on your fasteners! Believe me I’ve seen this a thousand times working in a food production facility doing maintenance!
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 12:40:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I’ve thought about it too.

Then I hold a quad rail.

And love Mlok all over again.
View Quote

This.  The weight, discomfort...just not worth it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 7:17:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Great rail however LaRue Tactical as a company has been sucking hard. No way it takes a year+ to make a rail
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 7:30:33 PM EDT
[#45]
I never heard of anyone cutting them self on rail "cheese grater". The thing with key mod and mlok that pisses me off is the the gas block is allways in the exact spot where I want to mount something on the bottom, rail or bipod or adapter.  
The only bad thing I can say about rails is they suck cleaning rattle can off compared to mlok.

I believe what helped mlok and slim rails take off was all the old cheap gigantic diameter rails that used a jam nut like dpms or yhm.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 10:04:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Nothing wrong with quads. I prefer them myself.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top