BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2020 6:12:27 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 6:48:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you noticed the plethora of Thompson drums from WW II?
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:11:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Between the price of Suomi M-31 drums having gone up and Glock 9mm drum mags being fairly reasonably priced, a Suomi drum magwell AR lower no longer makes economic sense, if it even did ten years ago.

MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.

ETA: From what I've read, the Dakota Indians have an old saying: When you discover you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:11:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I can fap to those aesthetics

Sometimes it's not about how much it costs if it's awesome.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 10:49:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 1:47:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 1:45:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Imagine one of these with a binary trigger!
View Quote

Better yet, imagine it with the RLL that can be seen sitting with it in the picture. Last I heard 5 or so years ago the rights to the design were still up for sale. I may need to try to make one out of a cheapo Anderson upper and lower and an RDB bolt and barrel.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 6:58:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Better yet, imagine it with the RLL that can be seen sitting with it in the picture. Last I heard 5 or so years ago the rights to the design were still up for sale. I may need to try to make one out of a cheapo Anderson upper and lower and an RDB bolt and barrel.
View Quote
The old article in Small Arms Review discussed how you cannot obliterate the serial number on the lower which is typically located on the magwell.  I think the article mentioned that http://www.floridaammotraders.com/ had worked with Olympic Arms to make them lowers where the serial number was put on the back half of the lower away from the magwell.

Better yet, if you have an MGI lower, just get a spare standard AR magwell and mod that.  The MGI lowers already have the serial number placed on the rear of the lower away from the magwell.

Or do an 80% lower build which would be cheaper.  That also gives you a chance to get the Suomi mag well fitting just right before machining out the rear part of the lower.

I had considered these but now I have the belt fed FM9 if I really want to dump a lot of 9mm.  Sure, I'd like a delayed system but I find the FM9 to be smoother than a standard blowback.  I think it is because of all the extra energy to strip the rounds on the forward stroke and then to pull the belt on the rearward stroke softens up the impulse.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 9:56:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The old article in Small Arms Review discussed how you cannot obliterate the serial number on the lower which is typically located on the magwell.  I think the article mentioned that http://www.floridaammotraders.com/ had worked with Olympic Arms to make them lowers where the serial number was put on the back half of the lower away from the magwell.

Better yet, if you have an MGI lower, just get a spare standard AR magwell and mod that.  The MGI lowers already have the serial number placed on the rear of the lower away from the magwell.

Or do an 80% lower build which would be cheaper.  That also gives you a chance to get the Suomi mag well fitting just right before machining out the rear part of the lower.

I had considered these but now I have the belt fed FM9 if I really want to dump a lot of 9mm.  Sure, I'd like a delayed system but I find the FM9 to be smoother than a standard blowback.  I think it is because of all the extra energy to strip the rounds on the forward stroke and then to pull the belt on the rearward stroke softens up the impulse.
View Quote

That's a really great point regarding the serial number...I hadn't thought of that. I do have an MGI lower that I purchased years ago and have never used.

I'd like to get an FM9 too, but they seem to have been out of stock for years now. :(
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 11:47:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 4:07:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top