Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/5/2013 10:14:01 AM EDT
Did anyone ever bring back that Suomi drum 9mm AR that used to be around?  I thoughht I had read that someone was supposed to bring it back.
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 11:37:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Mill it yourself.
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 12:24:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mill it yourself.
View Quote

Are there any plans available or even some idea of angles etc?  I would gladly give it a shot if that was available.
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 12:46:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd be interested too. Have a Suomi, like the gun & drums a lot, but lighter would be nice.
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 12:56:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I have been looking at the available pics of the Tommy15 and it doesnt look that hard but I am not brave enough to cut up one of my uppers without some reference.  What I cant see is the mods to the upper and the bolt.
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 4:59:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Florida Ammo Traders was the manufacturer of the "Tommy15". They are a board member, TOMMY15.

They stated they had sold the "rights" and "It will back shortly", that was in late 2007! Here is a reply from Vic (Tommy15) to a comment on the Tommy15:

I still say you're a dumb ass for selling it back to me! The new owner is thrilled with it!

Merry Christmas fool! Stop by for lunch Wed if you can. Serbu will probably go with us too.

As for you other guys, Mr. HKPDW is a friend. He is also the guy that was pictured on the website video dumping 72 rounds in about 4 seconds... the smile on his face at the end of the dump was priceless.

Ha!

Tommy15 $900
Loaded ammo drum $10
Dumping it all in 4 seconds: priceless!

Someone has bought the rights to build the Tommy15 from me. Oly did not make the gun, they simply made the lowers for us, custom marked. The drum adapter was manufactured by us. The new design will encorporate a one piece lower with steel inserts in the aluminum receiver where the drum rides.

Original config for these was with an adapter that allowed conversion between Colt and Oly pattern guns, but the production guns were set up as Oly only. The few we have remaining utilize the convertible adapter and use Suomi coffin and stick mags as well as the drums. Production models are set to use drums only but Merle in OR (known as TSMGDR) modifies them to use the sticks as well.

We sold about 100 units and you will see them here and there. We saw a few being used at the KCR subgun match... big advantage in SMG matches where they don't dictate a mag change.

I have TRIED to obtain one of the adapters to reverse engineer a print off it. Two different members have in the past promised to send me an adapter, but none have sent it. Doing a Patent search I can find no evidence that it was ever Patented.

I have also tried to convince a respected AR manufacturer to produce one.

I feel it would make the ultimate Slide Fire AR.

Link Posted: 11/5/2013 6:33:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I want to do one with this lower kit Here and use this magwell here

Weld them together and mod the upper.  Not as elegant as a forged aluminum one but it's possible.

Link Posted: 11/6/2013 5:18:50 AM EDT
[#7]
That's the ticket.  Red-Loctite 'em together first until you get the feed just right, then heat, separate, & weld.
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 5:50:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Florida Ammo Traders was the manufacturer of the "Tommy15". They are a board member, TOMMY15.

They stated they had sold the "rights" and "It will back shortly", that was in late 2007! Here is a reply from Vic (Tommy15) to a comment on the Tommy15:

I still say you're a dumb ass for selling it back to me! The new owner is thrilled with it!

Merry Christmas fool! Stop by for lunch Wed if you can. Serbu will probably go with us too.

As for you other guys, Mr. HKPDW is a friend. He is also the guy that was pictured on the website video dumping 72 rounds in about 4 seconds... the smile on his face at the end of the dump was priceless.

Ha!

Tommy15 $900
Loaded ammo drum $10
Dumping it all in 4 seconds: priceless!

Someone has bought the rights to build the Tommy15 from me. Oly did not make the gun, they simply made the lowers for us, custom marked. The drum adapter was manufactured by us. The new design will encorporate a one piece lower with steel inserts in the aluminum receiver where the drum rides.

Original config for these was with an adapter that allowed conversion between Colt and Oly pattern guns, but the production guns were set up as Oly only. The few we have remaining utilize the convertible adapter and use Suomi coffin and stick mags as well as the drums. Production models are set to use drums only but Merle in OR (known as TSMGDR) modifies them to use the sticks as well.

We sold about 100 units and you will see them here and there. We saw a few being used at the KCR subgun match... big advantage in SMG matches where they don't dictate a mag change.

I have TRIED to obtain one of the adapters to reverse engineer a print off it. Two different members have in the past promised to send me an adapter, but none have sent it. Doing a Patent search I can find no evidence that it was ever Patented.

I have also tried to convince a respected AR manufacturer to produce one.

I feel it would make the ultimate Slide Fire AR.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q125/PursuitSS/Postings%20photos/7cb8db04.jpg

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q125/PursuitSS/Postings%20photos/a1a8213b.jpg

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q125/PursuitSS/Postings%20photos/cb3ecc90.jpg

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q125/PursuitSS/Postings%20photos/ee0a8a1c4907e6c072019b33005745fc.jpg
View Quote

I would love to have one of those!!! That would turn a head or two.
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 1:00:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I want to do one with this lower kit Here and use this magwell here

Weld them together and mod the upper.  Not as elegant as a forged aluminum one but it's possible.

View Quote

Thanks for these.  Just ordered them.  Great way to mess around without cutting up anything important.
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 4:21:08 PM EDT
[#10]
One of the more important issues will be setting the correct angle of the feed lips (the angle the drum sits)
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 6:01:28 PM EDT
[#11]
My approach to use suomi drums is not as elegant. Just grind off the feed lips until the bullet passes thru freely and then weld a tower (piece of mag) on top and use one of the standard mag adapters which one depends on whether it is colt or sten mag. Suomi drums usually need a couple more turns wound on the drum spring to reliably feed an AR. Drawback is you have to either use dummy rounds at end to fill up tower or a make a "roller chain" follower that will go up the tower and feed all of the rounds. Tote a full drum of 147gr around and you will dream of a stick mag

Link Posted: 11/7/2013 4:37:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
One of the more important issues will be setting the correct angle of the feed lips (the angle the drum sits)
View Quote

THis is what I am trying to figure out.  I was looking at some Uzi mags last night and comparing them to the suomi drum with regards to the feed angle.  Then I need to figure out how high the drum needs to sit and exactly where.  Are there any decent inexpensive 9mm kits out there to play with?
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 4:23:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My approach to use suomi drums is not as elegant. Just grind off the feed lips until the bullet passes thru freely and then weld a tower (piece of mag) on top and use one of the standard mag adapters which one depends on whether it is colt or sten mag. Suomi drums usually need a couple more turns wound on the drum spring to reliably feed an AR. Drawback is you have to either use dummy rounds at end to fill up tower or a make a "roller chain" follower that will go up the tower and feed all of the rounds. Tote a full drum of 147gr around and you will dream of a stick mag

View Quote

Lots of luck!!!

Jon & Ken of C&S Metall-Werkes used to have tables across from ours at the Knob Creek shoot.

In discussing their drums with them, they told me even though the magazine ban was over, they would no longer offer their drums. They said that the amount of individual work involved was not worth the $495.00 they charged for each drum. It's far from as simple as welding a tower on a Suomi drum. First they had to convert the tower to a single feed position, among numerous other modifications.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 4:45:24 PM EDT
[#14]
That's correct you do have to narrow the tower to a single stack if you want it to feed smoothly and tighten up the spring. Also have to change the angle of the follower. Made my drums (not for sale) many years ago and they run fine. I always hope for "good luck" when starting another gun project
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 4:32:07 AM EDT
[#15]
When I worked at Serbu I would go to Florida Ammo Traders just to ogle that rifle. I always wanted to do one. I bought a Tommy15.com lower and built a 9mm AR but used Sten mags. Bought about 20 Sten mags at Knob Creek when they were $2 each. I have Suomi drums,  but never found the plans to mod the rifle.
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 8:58:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That's correct you do have to narrow the tower to a single stack if you want it to feed smoothly and tighten up the spring. Also have to change the angle of the follower. Made my drums (not for sale) many years ago and they run fine. I always hope for "good luck" when starting another gun project
View Quote

Yep, I rolled my own suomi drum with a sten mag feed tower, and did indeed have to make a filler for the mag body to provide a ramp up out of the drum and keep it single stacked to the feed lips.  I just stuck extra rounds in the drum, and was careful to rotate them to the top next time I loaded it, rather than use dummy rounds or make a chain follower of some sort.  

A drum of 158gr (72 that'll feed and 15 or so to push the rest out) is indeed a big heavy weight to drag around.
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 11:38:27 AM EDT
[#17]
IF

I could get my hands on one of the receiver adapters it would be REAL easy to make a usable print and indeed to mill out copies.

The way the Tommy15 adapter is made it is pretty obvious the correct angle to cut the receiver at.

NOW, where in the hell do I get my hands on a adapter?????
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 1:06:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Tag for interest
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top