Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 42
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 8:53:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HendersonDefense:
The 20" weapons get used daily but only about a fifth of the time as the shorter barreled units. I'll have to check the maintenance logs but I don't believe we've lost any bolts, carriers or any other major components in one of them.

ETA: the armorers have a yard stick glued to the table with measurements for each weapon system's minimum recoil spring length. They checked on a regular basis and swapped as needed.

As for the vintage rifles, the commercial Springfield Armory op rods have broke several times in the M14's, Garand op rods have worn out and cracked but they were all 40's vintage with who knows how many rounds through them. Lastly, the M2 carbines have lost several Op rods, bolts have cracked as well extractors breaking on a regular basis.

V/R
Ron
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Blain:
I have a question for you, Ron.  How is the barrel and parts wear on full size 20" ARs vs. the carbines?  Do the full size 20" ARs wear out bolts, extractors, buffer springs, barrels, etc at a slower rate than the carbine guns?  If so, how much of a wear difference is there between the two in your experience?  What brand of full size 20" ARs do you rent?

How often to you replace buffer springs on the carbines / full size 20" AR rifles?  Ever consider switching to the chrome silicon SPRINCO springs?

I saw in your AK thread some pics of Garands, etc in the repair bin.  How well do M1 Garands, M14s, and M1 carbines hold up?

Thanks!
The 20" weapons get used daily but only about a fifth of the time as the shorter barreled units. I'll have to check the maintenance logs but I don't believe we've lost any bolts, carriers or any other major components in one of them.

ETA: the armorers have a yard stick glued to the table with measurements for each weapon system's minimum recoil spring length. They checked on a regular basis and swapped as needed.

As for the vintage rifles, the commercial Springfield Armory op rods have broke several times in the M14's, Garand op rods have worn out and cracked but they were all 40's vintage with who knows how many rounds through them. Lastly, the M2 carbines have lost several Op rods, bolts have cracked as well extractors breaking on a regular basis.

V/R
Ron
Do you know if they were cut or uncut? During the war the point were the charging handle meets the OP rod was a straight 90° cut,  then production was changed to introduce a relief cut at that location. OP rods in the field were later modified. Some uncut rods are still out there. They are now collectable for use on period correct M1 builds. Just wondering if you knew. Appreciate the info you have provided.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 8:31:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Here are some of the bolts that we've gone through this year in addition to other parts. No weapon weapon system is immune to the hazards of being on our firing line. In this pile of bolts are M1928A1 Thompson bolts, M60 bolts, M134 minigun bolts, plenty of AR15 bolts, HK G36 bolts, HK MP5 bolts, AK bolts and even a Kriss Vector bolt. One thing that is pretty interesting is how the M249 gas tubes just slowly erode away.

V/R
Ron

http://i.imgur.com/0VmTUUe.jpg
View Quote
No Browing bolts? 1919A4 or 1917A1 30 cal bolts?
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 2:20:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Flysc] [#3]
We haven't lost any bolts in our 20" guns and that includes one that just went down for "keyholing". I believe I purchased the barrel from Del-Ton about five years ago and it more than served it's purpose.

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes

@Hendersondefense

Sounds good Ron!  What info did you find out?

Thanks!
We haven't lost any bolts in our 20" guns and that includes one that just went down for "keyholing". I believe I purchased the barrel from Del-Ton about five years ago and it more than served it's purpose.

V/R
Ron
I've been perusing this thread. The OP mentions a detail about a purchase on a single firearm from five years ago and I wonder how many hundreds of firearms his company handles/maintains.  Man, to have a memory like that. More jealous of that than his profitable business model.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 8:52:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Flysc:

I've been perusing this thread. The OP mentions a detail about a purchase on a single firearm from five years ago and I wonder how many hundreds of firearms his company handles/maintains.  Man, to have a memory like that. More jealous of that than his profitable business model.
View Quote
You and me both!

I suspect some of the things that happened earlier in the life of the business (perhaps when Ron was running more of the business without the help of the number of employees he now has) are easier to remember because they had more of a direct impact on him?  Regardless, his memory is amazing!
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 10:45:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By JamesP81:
Much earlier in this thread, @HendersonDefense stated that he had observed fewer failures out of the 20" ARs, though it was qualified by the caveat that they put fewer rounds through those guns.

If there is something to it, I'm wondering if it's due to the length of the gas system or the stock / recoil system.  In other words, would we expect a 20" AR with a carbine buffer and tube be as prone to failure as 16" carbines, or would they be more like the 20" rifles with fixed stocks?

Asking because I'm thinking that a Magpul Fixed Carbine stock (which still mounts on a carbine buffer) or a Magpul SL might be a damned good combination with a pencil profile 20" rifle barrel.
View Quote
With even round counts, barrel weight could play a huge part. Between heat cycles and the bolt slamming against the barrel extension causing the front of the receiver to be blown out, the weight of the heavier barrel could be putting up more resistance , absorbing more of the forward blow from the bolt carrier. Of course I have no idea but it seems logical to me.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 4:23:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for this great thread Ron, am looking forward to checking out your range.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 5:18:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Any CZ Bren S1s or S2s on the line?
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 8:06:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:
Will you be getting many of the new Brownell's HK 416 kits for the range?
View Quote
Pretty sure they have real 416s already.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 8:59:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Ron,

You mentioned in the Wolf A1 (T91) thread that you guys happened to put out two 12.5 uppers on the line for use.. how are they holding up? We're you able to get rails for them? I used the M-LOK ones from T91tactical.com and was pretty happy with them.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 5:36:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: andygold] [#10]
HendersonDefense...

I've read every post on this thread over the past week.  For me it's 33 pages long.

If I remember correctly you've used Slip2000, followed by Lucas Oil (due to less misting on customer's clothing).  Then I remember some mention of Mil Comm TW-25.

So, now a few years have passed and it's the end of 2018.  What is your current go-to lube for your AR/AK/SCAR/AUG 5.56mm rifles?

Was the lube you've chosen due to low cost and it worked OK for your particular business' needs, or longest lasting lubrication and worked better than OK but possibly cost more? I'm curious as to your chosen best lube that's cost effective.

Do you use a CLP product on these weapons systems, or separate cleaner and separate lube?

And, if money were not a factor and you had to pick a product that would lube, and protect (for most climates), for personal weapons use (not for your business' needs) would you have a preferred lube?

Everyone has their preferred lube and people argue over what's "BEST".   But practically no one can say with authoritative testing what's really "best".  Currently, I'm satisfied with 2 products...Frog Lube (except when it gets down to the minus °F), and Hornady One Shot for lubrication and corrosion protection on my CCW guns and long arms, but  if you have something you like better, I think others might like to hear about it so they could try it themselves.

Thank you HendersonDefense for putting out all the info you have over the years!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 7:38:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By andygold:
I've read every post on this thread over the past week.  For me it's 33 pages long.

If I remember correctly you've used Slip2000, followed by Lucas Oil (due to less misting on customer's clothing).  Then I remember some mention of Mil Comm TW-25.

So, now a few years have passed and it's the end of 2018.  What is your current go-to lube for your AR/AK/SCAR/AUG 5.56mm rifles?

Was the lube you've chosen due to low cost and it worked OK for your particular business' needs, or longest lasting lubrication and worked better than OK but possibly cost more? I'm curious as to your chosen best lube that's cost effective.

Do you use a CLP product on these weapons systems, or separate cleaner and separate lube?

And, if money were not a factor and you had to pick a product that would lube, and protect (for most climates), for personal weapons use (not for your business' needs) would you have a preferred lube?

Everyone has their preferred lube and people argue over what's "BEST".   But practically no one can say with authoritative testing what's really "best".  Currently, I'm satisfied with 2 products...Frog Lube (except when it gets down to the minus °F), and Hornady One Shot for lubrication and corrosion protection on my CCW guns and long arms, but  if you have something you like better, I think others might like to hear about it so they could try it themselves.

Thanks for putting out all the info you have over the years!!!!!
View Quote
Try the Froglube extreme, it's really good kit.  I use it, paste and the FL solvent. The extreme is pretty awesome.  I have no connection to the company I merely use some of their kit.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 8:04:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: everready73] [#12]
Originally Posted By REGULARGUY556:

Try the Froglube extreme, it's really good kit.  I use it, paste and the FL solvent. The extreme is pretty awesome.  I have no connection to the company I merely use some of their kit.
View Quote
Use the frog lube of you want your gun all gummed up. Lots of reports of issues with it
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 8:09:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By everready73:
Use the frog lube of you want your gun all gummed up. Lots of reports of issues with it
View All Quotes

No kidding. Hard to believe people still recommend that garbage.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 8:30:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By lew:
View All Quotes

This. I used the stuff on something and it sat for a couple months before I messed with it again. At room temp I could barely cycle the action.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 12:06:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: andygold] [#15]
Sorry Guys/Gals, didn't mean above to sidetrack the thread with multiple discussions about lubricants.  No disrespect intended, but I don't care what some of us like and don't like in regards to lubes.  If it works or doesn't work for you, great!  I was directing my question solely to HendersonDefense to see what they currently use for their business, and what they may be using for personally owned firearms.  Everyone here will argue what's best, with probably little to no testing to back their claims of "best".  It's like Ford vs. Chevy, or crunchy vs. smooth peanut butter, or the chicken vs. the egg :)  Everyone has a personal opinion, and that's fine, as it's your opinion.

I'm looking for HendersonDefense's answer.  Again, no disrespect to the general membership!!!
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:31:54 AM EDT
[#16]
To add to the many earlier comments: This is the most interesting and informative thread -ever.

Sorry if this question is already answered here somewhere, and I managed to miss it:

Is there any one model of hearing protection that your RO's consider the best for maximum sound protection?
Not necessarily the most comfortable, etc. -just the best hearing protection, when they need the very best.
Do most of them double up with foam plugs and muffs?

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 2:37:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

This. I used the stuff on something and it sat for a couple months before I messed with it again. At room temp I could barely cycle the action.
View Quote
Same for multiple guns.

Here is my two cents. The stuff is slicker than iced snot. If you use your guns at least weekly you should be fine. But let them sit for any amount of time and most likely it’ll be gummed up city, population: you.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:59:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Was the sr15/16 or lmt enhanced bolt covered yet?
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 12:51:40 PM EDT
[#19]
View All Quotes

In one of my winter DM Courses, a Noveske AR15 started malfunctioning left and right, wouldn't extract fully or go into battery.

I started troubleshooting it because I was genuinely interested in what was going on, as that is not Noveske's reputation.

As I cycled the action, it felt like someone had just left it out in a dust storm with the BCG locked open.  There was no dust in sight since the ground was covered in snow and ice, and we were on Day 1 on the flat ranges still (cement floors with overhead roofs).

Me: "I thought I told you guys to lube these things.  What's going on here?"

SCW: "I did man!  I lubed that thing down really well like you said before coming out."

Me:  "What lube did you use?"

SCW: "Froglube..."

It literally felt like a brand new AR15 with rough anodizing grinding against each other, with a healthy dose of fine sand coated all inside the action like a sugar cookie.

I think I had him clean it all out and lubed it up with some Slip2000, no more problems throughout the course.  Temps were below freezing, with sleet, snow, and wind.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 1:34:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Have you lost any lower receivers, or had any lower receiver wear?
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 9:48:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Just because this needs a bump...
My boss just surprised me with plans to make reservations for a group of us to visit BV for a session after our meetings in Vegas in March.
I am super jazzed!
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 10:20:48 PM EDT
[#22]
HD, thank you for this thread and the others like it.  Real world, high round count results are awesome!
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 12:41:36 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm wondering about the longevity of the Binary triggers? The Echo looks ready to break.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 1:32:08 AM EDT
[#24]

I don't believe that I posted that we've broken them at an alarming rate but I can provide another piece of the puzzle that I myself wasn't even aware of.

The purchasing and moving of ammunition is not on my radar. My wife and our operations managers handle all the logistics of getting ammo in and putting it down range. During SHOT Show, we had several ammo mfg's stop by like usual and negotiate our yearly purchases. During this time, there were also some high-ranking DoD officials having a meeting with other private industry execs and the LTC was commenting on how we run our operation. I told him that we are putting 250,000-350,000 rounds down range per month, depending on the season. After that conversation, my operations manager told me that he didn't want to interrupt or correct me during the conversation but that our numbers were in the 500,000-600,000 range monthly. I was honestly shocked at the number. He started laughing and said something along the lines of "yeah boss.. why do you think we are always stressing on keeping new parts in the bins and keeping the ammo coming". My armorers no longer come to me for about 90% of the parts as they have a weekly meeting my operations manager and they get all their parts ordered. I still spend 3-4 hours every single day of the week scouring the internet and websites looking for the other 10% of the parts that have be tracked down.

So, if we are losing bolts faster than normal it's because have double the amount of ammunition we are putting down range, which relates to how much more wear and tear is being place on the weapons. I haven't heard one of the armorers ever complain about the PSA bolts. On the other hand, I have heard them request that we don't purchase parts for various weapons from certain mfg's. Again, I don't know a single soul over at PSA and have never been offered a discount but will continue to use their products because they work.

V/R
Ron
View Quote
Maybe slightly off topic but with 500-600k rounds a month being fired on your indoor ranges, how do you deal with cleaning out all of the spent bullets from downrange? I would imagine thats literally tons of lead to have to haul off.  Do you sell it and the copper jackets for scrap?
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 10:58:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:

In one of my winter DM Courses, a Noveske AR15 started malfunctioning left and right, wouldn't extract fully or go into battery.

I started troubleshooting it because I was genuinely interested in what was going on, as that is not Noveske's reputation.

As I cycled the action, it felt like someone had just left it out in a dust storm with the BCG locked open.  There was no dust in sight since the ground was covered in snow and ice, and we were on Day 1 on the flat ranges still (cement floors with overhead roofs).

Me: "I thought I told you guys to lube these things.  What's going on here?"

SCW: "I did man!  I lubed that thing down really well like you said before coming out."

Me:  "What lube did you use?"

SCW: "Froglube..."

It literally felt like a brand new AR15 with rough anodizing grinding against each other, with a healthy dose of fine sand coated all inside the action like a sugar cookie.

I think I had him clean it all out and lubed it up with some Slip2000, no more problems throughout the course.  Temps were below freezing, with sleet, snow, and wind.
View Quote
Not to mud this thread with lubrication stuff but I love Froglube....it's a phenomenal exterior cleaner haha. In terms of it being used as an actual lubricant....yeah kiss a functioning AR goodbye. However spread a thin coat on every outside surface from muzzle to stock and wipe it down. Takes away all greases, dirt, grime, and leaves a finish comparable to when you bought the rifle.
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 12:35:42 AM EDT
[#26]
I'd love to hear about your experiences with binary triggers like fostech and Franklin armory.
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 12:37:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By cole4544:
I'd love to hear about your experiences with binary triggers like fostech and Franklin armory.
View Quote
I'd be surprised if they have any experience with them. Why get a binary trigger when you already have select-fires?
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 1:39:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cole4544] [#28]
Originally Posted By asorel:

I'd be surprised if they have any experience with them. Why get a binary trigger when you already have select-fires?
View Quote
I figured the same thing, but binary trigger systems are select fire trigger systems and they are different so why not. Some people like semi-auto, some like 3-round burst, some like full auto, some like binary... there are others like 4-round bursts as well.

Who knows, your probably right, that they dont use them. Be cooler if they did :).
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 3:55:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bluemax_1] [#29]
I figured the same thing, but binary trigger systems are select fire trigger systems and they are different so why not. Some people like semi-auto, some like 3-round burst, some like full auto, some like binary... there are others like 4-round bursts as well.

Who knows, your probably right, that they dont use them. Be cooler if they did :).
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By asorel:

You DO understand that 'Select Fire' means you can Select semi-automatic OR full auto, and that the user can fire a 3-round burst. 4-round burst, or empty the whole mag, simply by holding down the trigger longer, right?

The ONLY reason for binary triggers is to simulate full auto fire because full auto firearms are expensive and difficult to come by for regular folks. BFV HAS the real thing. Why would folks want to bother repeatedly pulling the trigger to simulate full auto, when they can just rent the full auto?
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 2:20:39 AM EDT
[#30]
A few thoughts.

First, thanks for making this thread; you're awesome.

Second, I'm so happy for you that your business is doing well. One of my favorite quotes (that I like to jam in people's face when the opportunity arises) is "you can't plan an economy." Your business is a perfect example. Notwithstanding the 2nd Amendment's role, just think about how freaking great it is that we live in a country that is (mostly) free enough that you don't need permission from some central planning agency to take this wacky idea and run with it. Sure, there's hoops you have to jump through. But I read not long ago about how the Tata company literally had to ask for permission to start every new venture they wished to open in India and their government said, "Nah, that'll never work" to all but one of 170+ business ventures (which they ultimately started darn near all of them outside of India, much to the detriment of the Indian people). The point is, you guys are the perfect embodiment of why this country of ours still kicks butt, in spite of many people's best efforts to screw it up. Good on you for living the dream. Sorry for channeling my inner Thomas Sowell.

Lastly, knowing what you know, if you had to buy a rifle that you'd bet your life on, what would you pick? Just curious.

Thanks again. I wish you continued success.
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 3:26:37 PM EDT
[#31]

You couldn't be any further from the truth with your opinion but I will enlighten you about what we do and how we do it.

First, every single day that I am there (and I work six days a week at least 10-12 hours a day) I hear "oh my God.. I had no clue that's what it's really like" or "how did those guys do it during (insert WWII, Korea, Vietnam, OIF, OEF)" and the "wow.. I never wanted to touch a gun in my life but that's the most fun I think I've ever had". The customers DO walk away with an appreciation that THEY have because 90% of our guests don't own a weapon, let alone have ever seen a real, functioning example in person. Their only knowledge of a gun is from a movie where some actor holds two Uzi's or AK's and sprays across the scene killing every bad guy in sight. My staff are allowed to talk ZERO politics with guests and it always puts a smile on my face when I hear "I am from NYC/San Francisco and we just don't like guns but wow... that was SO different than what I thought it was going to be like... can I buy something like this where I live".

Now, add to the fact that over 90% (actually higher but I don't have the time to do the math) of my staff are either prior service or still in the Guard/Reserves and the respect and appreciation factor just doubled with our guests. Every single one of my RSO's is prior service or Guard/Reserves (as well as all our drivers and my managers) and a majority of them are OIF/OEF combat vets. You can hear their appreciation when they start asking "so ALL of you were in the military.. my gosh, thank you so much for your service (and I would bet 99 out of 100 people have never uttered those words in their life).

As for the making money comment... I don't employ 58 people just to give me something to do, of course it's to make money just like any other business model. It's called capitalism and that's what we do. I don't judge people for their occupations because as long as it's legal and you feel comfortable with it, all the power to you.

I deal with GI's everyday that have heavy baggage they brought home with them from Iraq and Afghanistan. Nobody ever says the "PTSD" word because the minute you do, you're a "faggot" or "pussy". Meanwhile, as the employer I see it through their eyes and hear it in their words. I feel that I have a VERY generous policy towards PTO and if things are bugging you, take it. It also means that if you need to change from RSO to driver or driver to armorer, then so be it. It's put us in a bind more than once but since I claim we provide a "military experience", I as the employer, am also working in a "military experience". Everyday isn't sunshine and roses but I wouldn't trade a single one of my staff because they each bring their own "military experience" to work with them and that is what's made us so successful. I could go on and on about my staff because I know each of them by their name and they continue to raise the bar on what I think model employees should be. Quite a few of my guys are still in their twenties and medically retired from injuries they sustained while overseas. It lays heavy on my heart how these young men are so physically and emotionally damaged (IED's, blast injuries, falls, etc) but we adjust OUR schedule around them, not like most standard businesses.

Lastly, there are places like the ones you described here in Vegas. I know for a fact they are in it for the money and it's just an equation of how many customers can they get through the door and how fast can they get them through. They have the "gun girl" RSO's with hot pants, fishnet stockings and low-cut tops and that's 100% fine with me. They are providing a service to customers and they providing jobs. My problem is when they endanger employees and customers with shitty safety practices. We try to avoid hiring staff from other ranges because nobody wants retreads from places with bad practices but occasionally there are some gems among them. I know exactly how many ranges can give two shits about employees and lead hazards, throwing away filters contaminated with lead right into the garbage, writing employees up and firing them for having high lead levels (so OSHA doesn't find out how bad things are) or the TENS OF THOUSANDS of dollars we spend each month to ensure a safe environment for both my staff and guests. That may seem like a stretch to some of you but trust me, I would rather be spending that kind of money each month on something else but it what it is. It's the cost of doing business and keeping my staff safe.

As for the little girl in Arizona, the day that happened I had SO many of my RSO's come up to me and say, "damn Doc, you're right about those mini subguns". My staff had always asked for them (and the new RSO's as they came on board) but I always told them no little subguns unless we have a front strap for the wrist AND a suppressor. I must give credit to Tony D over at The Gun Store because he's the one that advised me specifically against the micro or mini Uzi's because of the rate of fire and transfer of weight with the heavy bolt causing the weapon to act like a teeter totter. I do have MAC's (.45, 9mm,.380) but again, they have huge and heavy Bower's suppressors to keep them down. Also, my staff has ALWAYS had the discretion to choose if a customer is suited for a particular weapon. If my RSO's don't feel comfortable with the customer and the weapons they chose, they are getting substituted with something can do and I usually refund the customer as well. It's worth the extra ammo so everybody is comfortable.

One last word about my staff. I hired a new driver two weeks ago. He initially turned in an application four weeks prior but let one of my managers know that he had used marijuana three weeks prior. My manager told him that we drug test and it wasn't a good idea to submit an application. He did come back in after waiting about three weeks and my manager spotted him submitting the application. He notified me and I told him lets review his application before just tossing it. Everything looked good; infantry E5 who was running and gunning and DD-214 matched up with application. I told my manager to go ahead and interview him on the spot. After all was said and done about his service, he called him out on smoking pot. He admitted that he's had issues adjusting since being home and he was hoping that it would help him relax but instead made him more depressed. He said he heard about a place where it' mostly GI's working together in a military-style environment and he was hoping he would fit in. I told my manager to hire him on the spot and start issuing him uniform, boots and get him out for a whiz quiz and background check ASAP. Two days later he walked up to me and asked if he could talk. I said of course as my staff know that I have an open-door policy for personal matters. He told me that he thinks this is the best thing that's ever happened. He said he's tried to get jobs at other places but when you go from 100 miles per hour to zero it hits you hard. When just a couple months ago when you were shooting people down range and you have your boys with you everyday life gets turned upside down when you can't talk about it with fellow employees who will think you're crazy and going to do something stupid. He looked at me with those same eyes I get from so many of the staff and said thank you for doing this. He said he needed to get back in uniform, he needed to talk to guys who are on his level and have been there, done that and can cope with words that come out of his mouth.

So, I am 100% at ease with myself, my business practices, my staff and the experiences that I feel our guests truly do appreciate here at Battlefield Vegas.

V/R
Ron
View Quote
This thread gets better and better.
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 9:33:19 PM EDT
[#32]
0riginally Posted By HendersonDefense:
View All Quotes
0riginally Posted By HendersonDefense:

You couldn't be any further from the truth with your opinion but I will enlighten you about what we do and how we do it.

First, every single day that I am there (and I work six days a week at least 10-12 hours a day) I hear "oh my God.. I had no clue that's what it's really like" or "how did those guys do it during (insert WWII, Korea, Vietnam, OIF, OEF)" and the "wow.. I never wanted to touch a gun in my life but that's the most fun I think I've ever had". The customers DO walk away with an appreciation that THEY have because 90% of our guests don't own a weapon, let alone have ever seen a real, functioning example in person. Their only knowledge of a gun is from a movie where some actor holds two Uzi's or AK's and sprays across the scene killing every bad guy in sight. My staff are allowed to talk ZERO politics with guests and it always puts a smile on my face when I hear "I am from NYC/San Francisco and we just don't like guns but wow... that was SO different than what I thought it was going to be like... can I buy something like this where I live".

Now, add to the fact that over 90% (actually higher but I don't have the time to do the math) of my staff are either prior service or still in the Guard/Reserves and the respect and appreciation factor just doubled with our guests. Every single one of my RSO's is prior service or Guard/Reserves (as well as all our drivers and my managers) and a majority of them are OIF/OEF combat vets. You can hear their appreciation when they start asking "so ALL of you were in the military.. my gosh, thank you so much for your service (and I would bet 99 out of 100 people have never uttered those words in their life).

As for the making money comment... I don't employ 58 people just to give me something to do, of course it's to make money just like any other business model. It's called capitalism and that's what we do. I don't judge people for their occupations because as long as it's legal and you feel comfortable with it, all the power to you.

I deal with GI's everyday that have heavy baggage they brought home with them from Iraq and Afghanistan. Nobody ever says the "PTSD" word because the minute you do, you're a "faggot" or "pussy". Meanwhile, as the employer I see it through their eyes and hear it in their words. I feel that I have a VERY generous policy towards PTO and if things are bugging you, take it. It also means that if you need to change from RSO to driver or driver to armorer, then so be it. It's put us in a bind more than once but since I claim we provide a "military experience", I as the employer, am also working in a "military experience". Everyday isn't sunshine and roses but I wouldn't trade a single one of my staff because they each bring their own "military experience" to work with them and that is what's made us so successful. I could go on and on about my staff because I know each of them by their name and they continue to raise the bar on what I think model employees should be. Quite a few of my guys are still in their twenties and medically retired from injuries they sustained while overseas. It lays heavy on my heart how these young men are so physically and emotionally damaged (IED's, blast injuries, falls, etc) but we adjust OUR schedule around them, not like most standard businesses.

Lastly, there are places like the ones you described here in Vegas. I know for a fact they are in it for the money and it's just an equation of how many customers can they get through the door and how fast can they get them through. They have the "gun girl" RSO's with hot pants, fishnet stockings and low-cut tops and that's 100% fine with me. They are providing a service to customers and they providing jobs. My problem is when they endanger employees and customers with shitty safety practices. We try to avoid hiring staff from other ranges because nobody wants retreads from places with bad practices but occasionally there are some gems among them. I know exactly how many ranges can give two shits about employees and lead hazards, throwing away filters contaminated with lead right into the garbage, writing employees up and firing them for having high lead levels (so OSHA doesn't find out how bad things are) or the TENS OF THOUSANDS of dollars we spend each month to ensure a safe environment for both my staff and guests. That may seem like a stretch to some of you but trust me, I would rather be spending that kind of money each month on something else but it what it is. It's the cost of doing business and keeping my staff safe.

As for the little girl in Arizona, the day that happened I had SO many of my RSO's come up to me and say, "damn Doc, you're right about those mini subguns". My staff had always asked for them (and the new RSO's as they came on board) but I always told them no little subguns unless we have a front strap for the wrist AND a suppressor. I must give credit to Tony D over at The Gun Store because he's the one that advised me specifically against the micro or mini Uzi's because of the rate of fire and transfer of weight with the heavy bolt causing the weapon to act like a teeter totter. I do have MAC's (.45, 9mm,.380) but again, they have huge and heavy Bower's suppressors to keep them down. Also, my staff has ALWAYS had the discretion to choose if a customer is suited for a particular weapon. If my RSO's don't feel comfortable with the customer and the weapons they chose, they are getting substituted with something can do and I usually refund the customer as well. It's worth the extra ammo so everybody is comfortable.

One last word about my staff. I hired a new driver two weeks ago. He initially turned in an application four weeks prior but let one of my managers know that he had used marijuana three weeks prior. My manager told him that we drug test and it wasn't a good idea to submit an application. He did come back in after waiting about three weeks and my manager spotted him submitting the application. He notified me and I told him lets review his application before just tossing it. Everything looked good; infantry E5 who was running and gunning and DD-214 matched up with application. I told my manager to go ahead and interview him on the spot. After all was said and done about his service, he called him out on smoking pot. He admitted that he's had issues adjusting since being home and he was hoping that it would help him relax but instead made him more depressed. He said he heard about a place where it' mostly GI's working together in a military-style environment and he was hoping he would fit in. I told my manager to hire him on the spot and start issuing him uniform, boots and get him out for a whiz quiz and background check ASAP. Two days later he walked up to me and asked if he could talk. I said of course as my staff know that I have an open-door policy for personal matters. He told me that he thinks this is the best thing that's ever happened. He said he's tried to get jobs at other places but when you go from 100 miles per hour to zero it hits you hard. When just a couple months ago when you were shooting people down range and you have your boys with you everyday life gets turned upside down when you can't talk about it with fellow employees who will think you're crazy and going to do something stupid. He looked at me with those same eyes I get from so many of the staff and said thank you for doing this. He said he needed to get back in uniform, he needed to talk to guys who are on his level and have been there, done that and can cope with words that come out of his mouth.

So, I am 100% at ease with myself, my business practices, my staff and the experiences that I feel our guests truly do appreciate here at Battlefield Vegas.

V/R
Ron
Ron,
You are awesome, thanks for all you do and taking care of these guys.

Free
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 10:44:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By MrEG:
View All Quotes

V/R
Ron
I had to go look up the post that Ron was responding to. I don't think I've seen a more Commie garbage post on here before. Lulz
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 11:01:12 PM EDT
[#34]

V/R
Ron
View Quote
Just awesome.  The 5 guys that I am taking with me to BV in March, including the owners of our company, have never fired anything but a .22 rifle.  I am just thrilled that they will get this experience.  My boss is still deciding just exactly what he wants to pick from your menu!
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 9:56:59 AM EDT
[#35]
View All Quotes

V/R
Ron
Respect a thousand fold!! God Bless you guys for supporting troopers and a business man that understands needs of veterans. Amazing disclosure!!
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 7:28:02 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote
Frog Lube actually works great as a rust preventative.  I use other lubes for the action because yes, it will gum the action of a gun up, but on the outer parts like the barrel, receiver, etc., a light coat does wonders to prevent rust.  There's this test: http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

And I can personally say I've had guns rust with other lubes on them, but with Frog Lube I've never had a blued gun develop rust after a few days of not cleaning it when I was out in the field and moisture got on it.  I prefer to hunt with stainless guns regardless, but Frog Lube is great at preventing rust.  But I would never actually put any of it in anywhere where there are moving parts.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 8:34:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Subiescott] [#37]
Originally Posted By Zeebz:

Frog Lube actually works great as a rust preventative.  I use other lubes for the action because yes, it will gum the action of a gun up, but on the outer parts like the barrel, receiver, etc., a light coat does wonders to prevent rust.  There's this test: http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

And I can personally say I've had guns rust with other lubes on them, but with Frog Lube I've never had a blued gun develop rust after a few days of not cleaning it when I was out in the field and moisture got on it.  I prefer to hunt with stainless guns regardless, but Frog Lube is great at preventing rust.  But I would never actually put any of it in anywhere where there are moving parts.
View Quote
That makes two of us friend. I always and only use it as an exterior cleaner. It cleans quite well and doesn't smear. I usually put on two nitrile gloves and lather a blob in my hands....then rub the gun down. Ohhhh yeahhhhh I said it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 11:21:16 AM EDT
[#38]
@HendersonDefense

Ron, I know in your first post you said that the Brownells USGI mags just outlasted all the other popular mags, just wondering if you could expand on this? How do the Lancers hold up compared to the PMAGs?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 8:51:17 PM EDT
[#39]
View All Quotes

V/R
Ron
I was looking forward to going to BFV at the end of April when I will be in Vegas.
But after reading that post I am really, looking forward to it, and doubling what I was going to budget.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 9:03:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Alaska511:
My boss just surprised me with plans to make reservations for a group of us to visit BV for a session after our meetings in Vegas in March.
I am super jazzed!
View Quote
I'm headed out there on 3/11. Plan on bringing my wife to BV since she's never shot full-auto.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 5:17:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Hydra-shokz:
I'm headed out there on 3/11. Plan on bringing my wife to BV since she's never shot full-auto.
View All Quotes
I am super jazzed!
We are booked for Thursday night!  Their HumVee is picking us up in from of the Hard Rock at 5:00

I fly out in a couple hours...
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 12:40:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Took their Humvee back to our hotel with a bunch of Aussie in town that couldn't wrap their heads around all the freedom they just experienced.

Dude driving the Humvee were pretty cool too, could have talked to him for hours.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 12:43:49 PM EDT
[#43]
We are booked for Thursday night!  Their HumVee is picking us up in from of the Hard Rock at 5:00

View All Quotes
I am super jazzed!

enjoy and have fun and don't forget the detailed report
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 1:33:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By walkinginadangerzone:
@HendersonDefense

Ron, I know in your first post you said that the Brownells USGI mags just outlasted all the other popular mags, just wondering if you could expand on this? How do the Lancers hold up compared to the PMAGs?

Thanks.
View Quote
They use the same old style stainless steel spring so they prob "last" cycles wise around the same.  The only differences between the two is the body.

The tan follower brownells USGI mags use a entirely different spring system that is much longer lasting cycles wise, that's why they last longer.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 6:23:12 PM EDT
[#45]
They use the same old style stainless steel spring so they prob "last" cycles wise around the same.  The only differences between the two is the body.

The tan follower brownells USGI mags use a entirely different spring system that is much longer lasting cycles wise, that's why they last longer.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By walkinginadangerzone:
@HendersonDefense

Thanks.

Aside from the ends of the tan follower spring being shorter/more centered on the follower, is there really a significant difference between those and other springs?

Any idea which spring/follower type Okay's E2 Surefeed magazines use?
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 1:39:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blain] [#46]
The spring is wider, front to back, than the skinny traditional USGI spring (longer coils).  I believe it also may be of a different construction (material, tempering, etc) than just the design itself being different.  The coloration is slightly different.

Link Posted: 3/7/2019 3:50:50 PM EDT
[#47]
The spring is wider, front to back, than the skinny traditional USGI spring (longer coils).  I believe it also may be of a different construction (material, tempering, etc) than just the design itself being different.  The coloration is slightly different.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1899/42954991600_973f63a0d6_b.jpg
View Quote
Good to know. Now I'm curious which springs are in Okay's Surefeed E2 magazines.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 6:32:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By bluemax_1:

Good to know. Now I'm curious which springs are in Okay's Surefeed E2 magazines.
View Quote
A design that is closer to the tan follower magazine spring.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 6:51:53 PM EDT
[#49]

A design that is closer to the tan follower magazine spring.
View Quote
Thanks for all the info.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 9:17:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By myhatinthering:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By myhatinthering:
I am super jazzed!

Pics will be taken.  Leaving in an hour!
Just lost 300 bucks so it is time to wipe off that shame with some M4 action.
Posting from the bar at Planet Hollywood.
Page / 42
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top