BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 12:52:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Run a JP polished carbine spring, not an enhanced or extra power spring. Run a carbine buffer. Run a JP LMOS carrier. That should be about perfect. More rounds seal the gas system up with carbine, the port will erode bigger and the recoil spring will weaken with time and use, all allowing greater reliability. This is like a tuned gas block for the above combo of parts in several of my rifles. It will run ammo and cycle but NEVER lock the bolt back on the last round if you swap in a full mass carrier. It sometimes stumbes unsuppressed with a full mass carrier and H buffer when new with .223 pressure ammo only, then runs that ammo fine after a few hundred rounds but will never lock the bolt with a full mass carrier.

You should be rewarded with a very soft shooting rifle that also weighs less.

That won't solve your issue if it is something wrong with the barrel extension alignment, your bolt headspace or dimensions, or reciever extention.

Also I have seen the issues you had with gas block screws that were too loose and vibrating loose. Very common. And could exain why putting in a lighter buffer had the opposite reaction.
View Quote

It amazes me how much run-around people will preach instead of just fixing the damn barrel. Like telling someone to get a more cushioned and hydraulically-stabilized seat for their car instead of just getting their tires balanced.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 12:53:13 PM EDT
[#2]
system lag. doubled.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 1:21:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You mean a Bobro mount? They're absolutely excellent optic mounts. Surely you must be confused.
View Quote

Surely you must be the one who's confused then:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Bobro_Mount_Fail/18-712608/

Link Posted: 6/8/2022 1:24:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just got my 11.5 from midway, pin guaged the port at .061. Going to try and see how it groups with different ammo in few days.
View Quote
@XJ01-08

Let us know how it went, I just got my own G 11.5 too from Primary Arms but still waiting on parts before I can trust but verify myself.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 1:33:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
@XJ01-08

Let us know how it went, I just got my own G 11.5 too from Primary Arms but still waiting on parts before I can trust but verify myself.
View Quote

Well good news and bad news. It shoots nice groups for as rusty I am shooting rifles. Bad is that out of 2 different M855 brands, PMC 55gn, and Mk318 Mod 1, only the Mk318 cycled it without a suppressor. Cycled everything fine suppressed, not sure if it was misdrilled or what size the port is supposed to be, but since I planned on running it suppressed all the time any way I may keep it this way.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 1:49:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Well good news and bad news. It shoots nice groups for as rusty I am shooting rifles. Bad is that out of 2 different M855 brands, PMC 55gn, and Mk318 Mod 1, only the Mk318 cycled it without a suppressor. Cycled everything fine suppressed, not sure if it was misdrilled or what size the port is supposed to be, but since I planned on running it suppressed all the time any way I may keep it this way.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@XJ01-08

Was an adjustable gas block being used or no?

Seriously got a pit into my stomach just reading your report about the cycling
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 1:52:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
@XJ01-08

Some people pay extra for that. I would

But really..carbine buffer/spring and won't cycle? That's a bummer, man.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 1:56:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah initially thought it was the H3 buffer I used with my overgassed DD 10.3, so swapped to a carbine after a few rounds failed to cycle.

Quoted:

Using a Geissele gas block.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 2:10:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yeah initially thought it was the H3 buffer I used with my overgassed DD 10.3, so swapped to a carbine after a few rounds failed to cycle.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm going to measure my Colt FBI port hole and see what's going on.

I need something to run on cheap plinking that matches 55 gold dots in POA and POI and the actual gold dots themselves or this would all be for nothing.

The pit in my tummy just got bigger.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 2:19:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

That sucks.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 2:19:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I need something to run on cheap plinking that matches 55 gold dots in POA and POI and the actual gold dots themselves or this would all be for nothing.

View Quote

Waiting to hear back from Geissele on what the port size is supposed to be, if theyll actually say, or if the one I got is undersized.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 2:29:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Waiting to hear back from Geissele on what the port size is supposed to be, if theyll actually say, or if the one I got is undersized.
View Quote

Please let me know. I don't have any way to pin gauge so the best I can tell is by eyeballing for now

Link Posted: 6/8/2022 2:50:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Those non-cycling barrels are a feature. Like chalky anodizing. Right @molon?
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 3:29:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just got my 11.5 from midway, pin guaged the port at .061. Going to try and see how it groups with different ammo in few days.
View Quote

.068 for G 11.5

@GACS do we need to contact CS or what?
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 5:08:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you're referring to an 11.5" Colt, the Colt FBI HRT barrels that I've gauged had gas port diameters of 0.069".

Link Posted: 6/11/2022 5:13:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

LMT EBCGs are meant to deal with the greater gas found in LMT barrels (which have generous gas ports) to make a more reliable combined gas system operation in particularly a 14.5" carbine gas system rifle. They are not supposed to be "throw in every AR to make more better" BCGs. They are genuinely meant to be part of an LMT system like a military M4. They're an enhancement in a super specific application, but not necessarily so in deviations from that. If anything pairing them with an already undergassed rifle would exacerbate things. Most LMT rifles are designed for the normal mil-spec BCG, as the EBCG isn't necessary.
View Quote

I’ve not found LMTs to be overgassed. In particular the LMT M4 I bought circa 2005 had a .058” port.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 5:23:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If you're referring to an 11.5" Colt, the Colt FBI HRT barrels that I've gauged had gas port diameters of 0.069".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This 11.5 Geissele CHF gas port hole is much smaller.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 3:23:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I'd way rather have an undersized hole than a large one.  OK bad joke dispensed with.  But I'm only half kidding.  .068 sounds very reasonable to me.  There are other problems that could cause poor cycling.  Gas leaks around the gas tube.  Bad BCG, out of spec. with loose tolerances.  

In fact, that is the first thing I would check beside gas block alignment.  Test with different BCGs.   If you are not using a quality BCG, or you are using a used BCG.  That could cause it.  Check the gas rings of course.  Oh, and look for leakage from under the gas key.  

Also, try a Carbine weight buffer.

I don't know how experienced you are or how many spare rifles and parts you have, but swapping parts is the best way to trouble shoot, before getting radical.

You can always gouge it out with a tiny diamond Dremel bit.  But I doubt that is the problem and its the LAST thing I would ever do.  LOL  That's way I'd rather have a small port than a large one.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 3:27:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'd way rather have an undersized hole than a large one.  OK bad joke dispensed with.  But I'm only half kidding.  .068 sounds very reasonable to me.  There are other problems that could cause poor cycling.  Gas leaks around the gas tube.  Bad BCG, out of spec. with loose tolerances.  

In fact, that is the first thing I would check beside gas block alignment.  Test with different BCGs.   If you are not using a quality BCG, or you are using a used BCG.  That could cause it.  Check the gas rings of course.  Oh, and look for leakage from under the gas key.  

Also, try a Carbine weight buffer.

I don't know how experienced you are or how many spare rifles and parts you have, but swapping parts is the best way to trouble shoot, before getting radical.

You can always gouge it out with a tiny diamond Dremel bit.  But I doubt that is the problem and its the LAST thing I would ever do.  LOL  That's way I'd rather have a small port than a large one.
View Quote

Whom are you referring to? My barrel is unfired and was never mounted. I'm going to call G's CS on Monday to see what can be done.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 6:29:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I’ve not found LMTs to be overgassed. In particular the LMT M4 I bought circa 2005 had a .058” port.
View Quote

I remember those days. Their 10.5" barrels from that period also had a slightly heavier profile under the hand guards as well.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 4:40:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CS rep said it's supposed to be .068, I sent in a PDF proof of purchase and photos to the email I was directed to and got a response a few hours earlier that this will be looked at and handled.

Link Posted: 6/13/2022 4:42:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

CS rep said it's supposed to be .068, I sent in a PDF proof of purchase and photos to the email I was directed to and got a response a few hours earlier that this will be looked at and handled.

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/13/2022 4:47:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't that what Geissele has previously stated they're supposed to be?
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 4:54:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And what I received was a .061, same as the other person that I was quoting.

Was that for Geissele's mistake? Because that's the only answer that any sane person would accept considering the fact that they were both supposed to be .068.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 8:44:06 PM EDT
[#25]
It's a because Geissele seems to not know what spec the gas port is supposed to be. A 0.061" gets called fine and wrong, and a 0.068" gets called fine and also wrong.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 10:38:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It's a because Geissele seems to not know what spec the gas port is supposed to be. A 0.061" gets called fine and wrong, and a 0.068" gets called fine and also wrong.
View Quote

Yeah, kind of conflicting since he said on a previous page they’re supposed to be .062.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 11:00:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yeah, kind of conflicting since he said on a previous page they’re supposed to be .062.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you didn't know ArizonaRifleman was referring to the 11.5 gas port, we both ended up with 11.5 barrels with the wrong port size.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 11:07:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

If you didn't know ArizonaRifleman was referring to the 11.5 gas port, we both ended up with 11.5 barrels with the wrong port size.
View Quote

Ah gotcha. Was still thinking 16.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 11:11:16 PM EDT
[#29]
How in the world do barrel ports get made wrong and make it all the way out the door (seemingly) so often? I understand the frequency per manufacturer is probably relatively low, but it seems like a constant issue in the barrel business, including the most reputable ones.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 11:18:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
How in the world do barrel ports get made wrong and make it all the way out the door (seemingly) so often? I understand the frequency per manufacturer is probably relatively low, but it seems like a constant issue in the barrel business, including the most reputable ones.
View Quote

because we just came off the biggest AR parts boom in history and the biggest qualified labor shortage ever so the money grab was on to crank out more shit with less quality staff.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 8:45:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

>crank out more shit with less quality.
View Quote

More and more common these days.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:53:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

@gacs
@sagmill

Any clarification here?
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:17:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:23:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Our gas systems for our guns and uppers are optimized for our complete system using full power 5.56 ammo (M193, M855, etc).  It’s a proven system that runs reliably and is very soft shooting with minimal gas blow back.  Our stand alone barrels originally were made around our system and work very well as intended.  That said we understand there are a ton of different parts out there we can’t account for that will affect function with home builds, and respect that people want to use the most wide range of ammo options on top of that.  Our barrels for our guns and uppers are going to be gassed differently from our stand alone barrels moving forward. Our barrels sold separately will come with a port size that will be more generous to account for the wide variety of different parts in home builds that can need more gas to run everything reliably.  Our engineering team is putting together a new port size for these and we will share once they have it available to us.  If anyone currently has a stand-alone Geissele barrel and is having any gassing issues or concerns we will be happy to set them up with an RMA to send their barrel into us.  We will inspect it and open the port size up for them to the new spec if they want.  This service will be free of charge.

In the future we plan to also offer separate barrels with port sizes optimized for dedicated suppressor use and also as replacement barrels for Super Duty firearms and uppers.  Barrels are consumable and eventually some ultra-high volume shooters are going to need to purchase replacements and these barrels are ideal for that.  When we release them we’ll make sure it’s clearly listed so everyone knows exactly what they are looking at.
View Quote

I'm still waiting for a reply, last update for request (160411) was on the 13th.

I was going to wait until today or tomorrow to ask for a follow-up.

@GACS

Can we get a confirmation what the gas port size on an 11.5 should be at least for now?
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:31:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Can you post the gas port sizes on your website? We're getting second hand info on the sizes, but would rather have it come straight from the mfg.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:34:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:52:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Great, another good manufacturer appeasing tula using dirt shooters with blown out gas ports.

Just ran my G 11.5 SD in a week long carbine instructor course. Not one gun related failure, suppressed or unsupressed and that is without cleaning it all week. The gun is very smooth and accurate.

Had several issues with PMAGs that was originally blown off by Magpul CS. They are getting another call today.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:08:52 PM EDT
[#38]
I’m curious what the factory G upper gas system offers in term of gas flow that a correctly installed to spec gas block/tube doesn’t?  Is the G REBC more efficient with respect to gas?
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:20:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Smooth surfaces and coatings can increase carrier velocity.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:31:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:45:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Huh? Where did I state that I use Tula only?

I just wanted to know if I got a misdrilled gas port for my barrel or not, because I'd actually like to assemble it first and have it RUN right the first time instead of wasting my time, effort, and money plus a Surefire 3 prong needs to have rocksett applied which would have to be taken off and cleaned up and them the process redone....or I could ask if I was sent a barrel that had a mistake that could easily be fixed or just being told that it wasn't a mistake and to just send it, either way I'd be happy with the outcome.

Jesus there are some fans that are highly toxic.

Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:49:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Do you use Tula at all?

I had a case of it for years. I used it for function testing—if the bolt locks back on Tula the barrel is defective because the gas port is too big.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 2:05:03 PM EDT
[#43]
No, I do not.

This is besides the point really. A false assumption was made that had to be nipped in the bud was my point.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 2:18:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
No, I do not.

This is besides the point really. A false assumption was made that had to be nipped in the bud was my point.
View Quote

I wasn't specifically calling you out. Get over yourself.

People are bitching before they fire a single round through the barrel. If it runs on mil-spec ammo, then it is in spec. Good manufacturers have caved to the mouth breathers because they call and bitch that their gun won't run their weak cheap shit. They cave because this group of people hound them constantly by phone and start shit on line. It gets old. Noveske and KAC are two manufacturers that I can think of off the top of my head that opened their ports because of this.

I had an LMT 10.5 that would short stroke PMC without a can. Ran great suppressed or not with the ammo it was made for. Didn't bitch about it because I knew what it was designed for. It was also the last time I bought a case of cheap low powered crap.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 4:05:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:Had several issues with PMAGs that was originally blown off by Magpul CS. They are getting another call today.
View Quote

Do you mind sharing what happened, maybe in the magazine subforum?
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 6:46:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Our gas systems for our guns and uppers are optimized for our complete system using full power 5.56 ammo (M193, M855, etc).  It’s a proven system that runs reliably and is very soft shooting with minimal gas blow back.  Our stand alone barrels originally were made around our system and work very well as intended.  That said we understand there are a ton of different parts out there we can’t account for that will affect function with home builds, and respect that people want to use the most wide range of ammo options on top of that.  Our barrels for our guns and uppers are going to be gassed differently from our stand alone barrels moving forward. Our barrels sold separately will come with a port size that will be more generous to account for the wide variety of different parts in home builds that can need more gas to run everything reliably.  Our engineering team is putting together a new port size for these and we will share once they have it available to us.  If anyone currently has a stand-alone Geissele barrel and is having any gassing issues or concerns we will be happy to set them up with an RMA to send their barrel into us.  We will inspect it and open the port size up for them to the new spec if they want.  This service will be free of charge.

In the future we plan to also offer separate barrels with port sizes optimized for dedicated suppressor use and also as replacement barrels for Super Duty firearms and uppers.  Barrels are consumable and eventually some ultra-high volume shooters are going to need to purchase replacements and these barrels are ideal for that.  When we release them we’ll make sure it’s clearly listed so everyone knows exactly what they are looking at.
View Quote

Whole lotta words to not address multiple gas port sizes on barrels sold under one SKU, and still no mention of what the gas port size is supposed to be.

And more insinuating it's the fault of other part makers not making things to your standard.

If your standard is so far incorrect port sizes, bad chambers, and guns not even function checked before shipment then how can you honestly pretend to be above any of them in quality?
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 7:19:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

There will be barrels with the "optimum" gas ports available.

Then there will be "Wolf grade" barrels that will work with all the out of spec bcgs and stuff
View Quote

Will these 2 categories of barrels be plainly advertised as such?

Also, will the latter be labeled as "anything not ours is shit"?  

Link Posted: 6/16/2022 9:57:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Good god, what a fucking mess.  Just buy a G upper upper then if you want a G barrel cuz bills gas flow formula ain’t for non G parts…. The super G gas tube just full of extra flow for the serious only milgrade ammo shooters.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 10:47:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 11:30:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There will be barrels with the "optimum" gas ports available.

Then there will be "Wolf grade" barrels that will work with all the out of spec bcgs and stuff

Nah... they should be stamped "Poverty G"
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top