Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/23/2017 6:45:23 PM EDT
Anyone else have this happen?
Looks like the self adjusting lug screws have sheared off. Not sure why, this mount has only been on a .223/5.56 and a .308. Sent them an email, but since it's the weekend probably won't hear back for a few days.
Anyone have any experience with Bobro customer service?
It' still holds zero, but everytime I take the mount off, the self adjusting lug just falls out.
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 8:19:27 PM EDT
[#1]
In before jaqufrost

I personally have never had this issue with mine on 5.56 only. .308 gas gun?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 8:37:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, it happened on my rifle and it happened on a friend's rifle.  Both .223 and both used in 3 gun competitions.  Their customer service is good, you send that mount back and they will send you a replacement.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 8:48:12 PM EDT
[#3]
never had an issue with a LaRue mount
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 9:11:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In before jaqufrost

View Quote
.308 bolt gun
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 10:01:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Surprised jaqufrost hasn't came in yet. I've never had this issue, or any issues with Bobros. Mine have always worked perfectly in every way. I've seen one or two describe what you're showing though so it's not unheard of it seems. It's been several years, but Bobro personally called and walked me through ordering the correct mount for my needs. Based on that, unless anything has changed in the interim, I'd assume you'd be taken care of in short order.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 10:15:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
In before jaqufrost

View Quote
I've been busy today

Mine broke on 5.56 rifles. Bobro did replace them in a timely manner. I just don't trust them anymore so I sold off both my brand new replacements.

They're the only big brand mount I don't use. I would have to see design changes before I would use them again.

Bobro will replace the hole mount. I don't think they even try repairing them if the screws shear, too much work.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 10:15:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

.308 bolt gun
View Quote
Interesting. .308 can have a pretty snappy recoil but still unacceptable for it to break. I was thinking with a gas gun in .308 the BCG slamming back home can be harsh.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 10:19:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've been busy today

Mine broke on 5.56 rifles. Bobro did replace them in a timely manner. I just don't trust them anymore so I sold off both my brand new replacements.

They're the only big brand mount I don't use. I would have to see design changes before I would use them again.

Bobro will replace the hole mount. I don't think they even try repairing them if the screws shear, too much work.
View Quote
Ok ok but you did show up

I don't see why they don't just mill it out of the same piece of alum. that the base is made of. Why does the index need to be removable?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 10:33:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I just swapped out three Bobros to GDI on all rifles. Much better IMO, plus for $40. I'll part aways with the Bobros, they didn't give me a problem but seems some can be problematic.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 10:34:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Ok ok but you did show up

I don't see why they don't just mill it out of the same piece of alum. that the base is made of. Why does the index need to be removable?
View Quote
Because it's made of spring steel so it can compress when placed on the rail and force the mount forward.

IMO they should redesign with a machined in lug and a second spring lug. It would cost a little extra but would drastically increase reliability.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 10:36:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I just swapped out three Bobros to GDI on all rifles. Much better IMO, plus for $40. I'll part aways with the Bobros, they didn't give me a problem but seems some can be problematic.
View Quote
The GDI Acog mounts are a steel right now. I've got several I bought because of how cheap they're available for. Maybe someday I'll have optics for all of them
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 10:38:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The GDI Acog mounts are a steel right now. I've got several I bought because of how cheap they're available for. Maybe someday I'll have optics for all of them
View Quote
I picked up one for $40, can't beat it!
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:26:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:32:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've seen them slip when tightened to the instructions 45 degree from closed. IME some of them need to be tighter. I would like to see both levers come with a lock and a slight bit more length. That would make it easier to remove them when set tighter.

On the other hand I've never had a Larue mount I couldn't tighten and make work.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:38:24 PM EDT
[#15]
So how many people have broken the optics in these QD mounts, is my question...

Nightforce, Badger, Geissele, SPUHR and KAC all make solutions that won't shit the bed...
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 6:54:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Great CS, not so great mount design.

Had issues with the lug shrinking which cause the mount to move rearward slightly (thousandths) when the rifle was charged then move forward after a few rounds were fired.

I swapped my ACOG Bobros to Geisseles and swapped my Aimpoint Bobros to ADM. The Geissele mount is awesome, 4 different lugs on the bottom and really nice lock up. A quarter turn past hand tight is about enough to keep it from walking backward when the rifle is charged, and the 65 in/lb I torqued each nut to makes it nearly part of the rifle.

ADM feels cruder but it much more solid in terms of lock up and it has a solid square lug on the bottom.

RTZ with the ADM mount is better than Bobro and definitely better LaRue in my experience.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:21:22 AM EDT
[#17]
I cannot speak to the engineering aspects of Bobro's mounts, but I can and WILL vouch for their CS. Good folks who are generally very responsive.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 12:10:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Anyone else have this happen?
Looks like the self adjusting lug screws have sheared off. Not sure why, this mount has only been on a .223/5.56 and a .308. Sent them an email, but since it's the weekend probably won't hear back for a few days.
Anyone have any experience with Bobro customer service?
It' still holds zero, but everytime I take the mount off, the self adjusting lug just falls out.
Thanks
http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m503/Jln370/Bobro%20Screws_zps4escdqfg.jpg
View Quote

literally just happened to mine last week.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 12:17:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Never was 100% happy with my QD mounts.

Bobro's never gave me any issues but after reading some of the issues I got noid and didn't want to take a chance anymore.

I don't really need a QD so I switched to all Geisseles and Nightforce

If I ever go back to QD I would wait to see if the Larue gets a makeover or Geissele comes out with one.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 2:00:31 PM EDT
[#20]
I never got far enough for my Bobro mount to fail.  It wouldn't even lock solidly on my upper.  I could move it back and forth with minimal effort.  I though it was maybe an out of spec upper but it did the same thing on three other uppers that I know are not out of spec.  Sent it back.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 2:09:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I never got far enough for my Bobro mount to fail.  It wouldn't even lock solidly on my upper.  I could move it back and forth with minimal effort.  I though it was maybe an out of spec upper but it did the same thing on three other uppers that I know are not out of spec.  Sent it back.  
View Quote
Sounds like an undersized spring recoil lug.  Anything under .210 and it's going to move on an in spec rail.  IMO they really need to measure .212 for a proper interference fit.  Then they have to stay that thick or the movement will start later.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 4:01:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Some on this site swear by them. Larue has been good to me
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 6:21:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Called Bobro today. They told me to just mail it in and they'll either repair or replace it.
Anyone wanna buy a Bobro 30mm Extended mount when I get it back? lol
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:20:23 PM EDT
[#24]
I am the other person that Unjust spoke about having a Bobro mount break. Bobro had good customer service, but I will not be buying anymore Bobro mounts. I just don't trust them anymore. There are better mounts out there, especially for the price.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:59:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Has anyone had an Aimpoint, Acog, or compact Acog mount break? Seems all I have heard break are the tube scope mounts.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 11:16:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Has anyone had an Aimpoint, Acog, or compact Acog mount break? Seems all I have heard break are the tube scope mounts.
View Quote
Those optics are lighter. Less stress.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 11:48:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Those optics are lighter. Less stress.
View Quote
That's what I'm thinking. My T-1 and TA33 have both taken some hard falls though and the index pin and screws are still GTG. Especially the T-1.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 1:53:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That's what I'm thinking. My T-1 and TA33 have both taken some hard falls though and the index pin and screws are still GTG. Especially the T-1.
View Quote
Falls are not the same, typically. Regardless, I prefer to mount my optics solidly vs. QD. Many less issues.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 1:24:48 PM EDT
[#29]
I've found Larue VFZ to actually be a very very good option for a precision mount.  Still repeatable, still QD if you have the wrench.

I love Geissele mounts as well, but I CANNOT stand that they manufactured a spine between the front and rear ring.

Big flat spots are a huge convenience when mounting an optic.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 2:10:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I've found Larue VFZ to actually be a very very good option for a precision mount.  Still repeatable, still QD if you have the wrench.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:54:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Called Bobro today. They told me to just mail it in and they'll either repair or replace it.
Anyone wanna buy a Bobro 30mm Extended mount when I get it back? lol
View Quote
Someone would definitely buy it in the EE
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:10:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The only GDI mounts I've seen go for $540. Are we talking the same mounts?
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:34:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The only GDI mounts I've seen go for $540. Are we talking the same mounts?
View Quote
Same company.  The Acog mounts got cleared out after the USMC cancelled their contract.  They come in the full NSN kit with a small bag. I think Tactical Assault Gear is the only place left with them at the cheap price.
https://www.tacticalassaultgearstore.com/gdi-r-com-e-model-combat-optic-mount.html
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I love Geissele mounts as well, but I CANNOT stand that they manufactured a spine between the front and rear ring.

View Quote
You should be leveling the cross-hairs, not the turret cluster. In a perfect world, your method works great, but every manufacturer out there has a greater tolerance for reticle/cluster cant than my plumb-leveled reticles do. That spine is a weight-saving way of creating very solid mounts.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 1:52:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You should be leveling the cross-hairs, not the turret cluster. In a perfect world, your method works great, but every manufacturer out there has a greater tolerance for reticle/cluster cant than my plumb-leveled reticles do. That spine is a weight-saving way of creating very solid mounts.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm aware.

If a manufacturer can't level the reticle relative to the erector, scope gets sent back.  

Great way to out the manufactures of shit, and ensure my optic is quality and will track properly.  And of course on occasion...test a company's CS. Every scope I mount gets verified with a plumb line.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 2:09:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I'm aware.

If a manufacturer can't level the reticle relative to the erector, scope gets sent back.  

Great way to out the manufactures of shit, and ensure my optic is quality and will track properly.  And of course on occasion...test a company's CS. Every scope I mount gets verified with a plumb line.
View Quote
Roger that, but I'd rather have a superior mount vs. mount it a different way. I've found the flat-edge method takes just as much, if not more time, anyway.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 8:10:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Bobro sent me a new mount. That was quick. I think it was a week to the day I sent it off. The screws holding on the self adjusting lug are an Allen key now, and the roll pin lug looks to be thicker and made of a different material. Also the rings are mounted to base with Allen screws rather that nuts and bolts.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 9:48:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Bobro is good people.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 8:53:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Does anyone know if the addition of the more-robust hardware is standard now on the single-lever mounts or is that a one-off solution to the OP's mount failure?

Bobro states on their site that their dual-lever mounts use larger fasteners than their standard lineup to handle heavier optics and harsher recoil forces. I was just wondering if the larger fasteners have migrated to the single-lever mounts, as well.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 9:13:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
The mount I had that wouldn't lock onto my rail was a Trijicon branded Bobro compact Acog mount.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top