BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/12/2018 6:02:39 PM EDT
Hey everyone, im building my first AR15. very minimal amount of knowledge, so please bare with me. Anyways, Id like to build a really baddass gun on a budget, so Im wanting to go cheap (low price) on some parts, so i can go BIG on other parts. Anyways, do yall think this is a good lower to start with. https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar-15-lower-safe-fire-1728.html

Whats a good LPK, should i buy the trigger seperate? What should my next step be?

Also, I'd like some FDE somewhere in there, will FDE parts fit with black?

Thanks All
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 6:29:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hey everyone, im building my first AR15. very minimal amount of knowledge, so please bare with me. Anyways, Id like to build a really baddass gun on a budget, so Im wanting to go cheap (low price) on some parts, so i can go BIG on other parts. Anyways, do yall think this is a good lower to start with. https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar-15-lower-safe-fire-1728.html

Whats a good LPK, should i buy the trigger seperate? What should my next step be?

Thanks All
View Quote
That lower is fine. Anderson makes fine affordable LPKs. Upgrade the trigger later, nothing wrong with the mil-spec for now. You can get the cheap magpul fde furniture too. No matter what you do, if the bug bites you will upgrade it all anyway. Have fun with the build. I have Noveske and Spikes AR's but just built a light pistol for like $400 and love it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 6:35:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I've built a few with very cheap LPKs and "milspec" triggers.  All were disappointing at first, but all also cleaned up with a few hundred rounds.

No reason you have to buy a trigger seperate, unless you want to.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 6:51:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the reply people.
Any ideas for a LPK minus a grip? Id like to get a grip seperate. I saw an anderson LPK that says minus grip and fire control group? Im putting items in my cart as we speak. Im only going to buy some of the less expensive items today. If yall could help me along the way, it would be amazing.
So i figure I should go big on just the barrel, optics, and BCG?
And go less expensive, but mil-spec on the Lower Receiver, Upper Receiver, Lower Parts Kit, Buffer Tube Assembly, and Upper Parts Kit?

Thanks again
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 6:51:46 PM EDT
[#4]
What’s your budget for the lower, upper, everything?
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 6:57:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Not including optics, id like to stay anywhere between $500-$1000. Is this a good budget? Thats why im trying to find good, cheap parts like the lower, so i can get a nice barrel and what not.

Here is a LPK without a grip. https://www.wingtactical.com/firearm-parts/ar-15/lower-receiver-parts/ar-15-lower-receiver-parts-kit/strike-industries-ar-15-lower-parts-kit-no-grip/
Is that good or should i get one cheaper?
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 7:03:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks All
View Quote
Go ahead and build an entire AR out of nothing but PSA parts. The only thing I would spend the extra money on a beginner budget build would be a Cold Hammer Forged (CHF) barrel instead of PSA's lower tier barrels. They do make CHF barrels but their options are very limited.

You'll learn a lot building the entire rifle, and you won't be too upset if you lose or damage any part. You can get from them:

stripped lower LINK
stripped upper LINK (out of stock sadly)
full lower parts kit with stock and trigger LINK
upper build kit link
bolt carrier group LINK
charging handle LINK

Hopefully that covers everything except a barrel, gas block, gas tube, muzzle device, handguard, sights, magazines, and ammo.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 7:07:42 PM EDT
[#7]
so should i just get a PSA LPK, then buy a grip seperate, and stock seperate. Becuase I would would like an fde grip and stock. Can you also maybe suggest a link to an LPK without grip or stock?

also to save on shipping, can i ship this all as 1 order to my FFL,or do FFLs only except lowers?
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 7:19:12 PM EDT
[#8]
For $1000 you can build a VERY nice AR.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 7:24:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Just installed a cmmg parts kits minus fcg, trigger guard and grip. I have only built 3 lowers but will say I will be using their LPKs from now on.

I would buy a full parts kit unless you want single stage trigger or enhanced fcg. It will cost more piece mealing a mil spec fcg just because of the 5 dollar grip.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 7:25:58 PM EDT
[#10]
PSA has lpk kit with fde stock and grip in stock.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 7:34:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 7:42:58 PM EDT
[#12]
"It will cost more piece mealing a mil spec fcg just because of the 5 dollar grip." what do you mean, sorry im a noob. Also the psa kit probably doesnt have as good of a grip and stock as im thinking about getting.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 7:47:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is this your first AR-15?  If so, my advice to first time owners is to just buy a used AR Carbine at a good price.  Get an A3 (flattop) upper and any barrel you like and can find.
View Quote
I fall into this line of thinking as well, or at least buy an assembled upper and lower from PSA for $500'ish and shoot the snot out of it.  When you're ready to build a rifle, don't skimp on the barrel and bcg.  I built a lightweight rifle using DD LW barrel, DD BCG, DD MFR 12.0 handguard, Aero upper and lower, CMMG LPK, and MFT stock for less than $800.  The barrel and BCG were lightly used from the EE (under 500 rounds), everything else was new.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 8:04:14 PM EDT
[#14]
If it's just the grip the buy a complete LPK and then whatever grip you want.  I've been very fond of the low end Magpul lately.

LPKs without the trigger and hammer are out there, but you don't save much.

I don't know, off the top of my head, of a good LPK for you with no grip.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 8:16:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
"It will cost more piece mealing a mil spec fcg just because of the 5 dollar grip." what do you mean, sorry im a noob. Also the psa kit probably doesnt have as good of a grip and stock as im thinking about getting.
View Quote
The PSA kit I was refering to has magpul furniture. palmettostatearmory.com/str-lower-build-kit-fde.html

What furniture are you wanting?

What I meant about a complete lpk vs a sans fcg lpk. Is the milspec grip are like 5 bucks. A mil spec fcg are around 30 bucks. A complete kit is around 50- 60 bucks plus all the shipping by piecing together a standard kit.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 9:06:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 9:13:25 PM EDT
[#18]
xring and Quarterbore, I have played around with a few ARs and have pretty well made up my mind about building one. But i understand your point of view, and maybe you are right. Only time will tell.

KeenEye, Hey, i didnt see that one! Does that look like a good deal? Why do people like mag-pul so much? It does look nice. Can i find a hand rail that matches that fde?

Guys, thanks alot for the replys. Im learning alot!!!
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 9:20:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Man, what a dilema.
Is there any difference between this:
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar-15-complete-lower-magpul-moe-ept-edition-flat-dark-earth-no-magazine-8857.html?utm_source=pepperjam&utm_campaign=affiliate&source=pepperjam&publisherId=43737&clickId=2376230253
and these two items:
https://palmettostatearmory.com/str-lower-build-kit-fde.html

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar-15-lower-safe-fire-1728.html

Do they have all the same stuff? I feel like its cheeting if i buy the complete lower. But the ultimate goal is to buy good qulity at good prices. Any opinions.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 9:26:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 9:41:31 PM EDT
[#21]
The complete lower you linked has the entry level Magpul stock (MOE), which is to me is nicer than the no name entry level stocks in their $99 kits.  It also has a 7075 buffer tube, which is assumed to be stronger and preferred over the 6061.  The lower build kit you linked has the STR stock, which is more expensive.  It's individual preference as to whether you would like the STR over the MOE (I do).  They don't give any other specs on the STR LBK, so I would assume a 6061 tube.

If you're content with assembling, they also have this LBK: MAGPUL MOE EPT LOWER BUILD KIT - FDE.  I would be inclined to purchase the lower at a LGS.  By the time you pay the transfer fee the PSA will cost more than an Anderson, at least in my area.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 10:02:32 PM EDT
[#22]
I think im going with these just because the STR stock and I like the color, also I get to build it. Will these two items fit together nicely?

Also, can i find a rail with that same exact fde color? Ive noticed alot of the fde have difernt shades of tan.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 10:41:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I think im going with these just because the STR stock and I like the color, also I get to build it. Will these two items fit together nicely?

Also, can i find a rail with that same exact fde color? Ive noticed alot of the fde have difernt shades of tan.
View Quote
Those parts will fit just fine, the ept trigger is nicer but it’s your call. Midwest industries and geissele makes tan rails however they may not be a spot on match. Personally, I like the geissele ddc but it’s a crap shoot on what shade you’ll get on the tan spectrum. Midwest will be more consistent and are on sale via their website.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 10:53:27 PM EDT
[#24]
ya im still not fully decided, but im at least narrowed down to those 3 items. So moving on from them, whats next?

Oh and thank you
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 11:07:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
ya im still not fully decided, but im at least narrowed down to those 3 items. So moving on from them, whats next?

Oh and thank you
View Quote
Upper receiver group, bcg, charging handle and an optic. You going to build that too?
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 11:16:02 PM EDT
[#26]
You can buy this PSA Upper and replace the handguard with Magpul if you want a guaranteed color match.  You will need tools that you likely don't have to assemble uppers.  If there is a complete upper that you like, it's pretty hard to build one cheaper than you buy it already assembled.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 11:31:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Well, im really looking at a free floating rail, and someone told me too splurge on the barrel and bcg. So idk, am i getting out of my $1000 price range? This price is not including the optics.
So far Im setting at $210 with the complete lower.
BTW thanks xring and Schroderson
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 11:48:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Maybe I should buy a complete upper. I dont really want to spend money on specialty tools. Ive got plenty of wrenches and punches and such tho. Are the complete uppers of good quality. Good barrel, good bcg and such. Im feeling pretty noobish right about now.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 11:53:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Well, im really looking at a free floating rail, and someone told me too splurge on the barrel and bcg. So idk, am i getting out of my $1000 price range? This price is not including the optics.
View Quote
Welcome brother. I’d snag a bravo blem stripped upper, toolcraft bcg, ballistic advantage barrel, then whatever rail strikes your fancy. Should be able to swing that for 500 bucks or so. Check the site sponsors in the industry section for deals as well as the equipment exchange.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 12:21:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
I am a big fan of Ballistic advantage barrels. Own several, price is fair and they all are capable of shooting better than me. For BCGs i use almost exclusively Toolcraft. Can be had for $70ish and you wont find better at twice the price. Look at ALG rails. Rock solid, affordable and a sister (wife) company of Geiselle.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 12:27:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Maybe I should buy a complete upper. I dont really want to spend money on specialty tools. Ive got plenty of wrenches and punches and such tho. Are the complete uppers of good quality. Good barrel, good bcg and such. Im feeling pretty noobish right about now.
View Quote
Nothing wrong with a complete upper, my first “build” was a PSA chf middy. Not many tools involved building. Punches, a vise, a vice block for receivers, torque wrench with most  handguards, some, like ALG don’t need it
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 12:34:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Splurge on bbl, trigger, glass.  I've seen pictures of broken bolts - they're basically a wear item - I've never seen a pic of a broken bolt carrier outside of a kaboom.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 8:24:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Welcome brother. I'd snag a bravo blem stripped upper, toolcraft bcg, ballistic advantage barrel, then whatever rail strikes your fancy. Should be able to swing that for 500 bucks or so. Check the site sponsors in the industry section for deals as well as the equipment exchange.
View Quote
Concur with all of this.  Would keep you well below a grand for a very nice rifle.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 8:30:02 AM EDT
[#34]
You could buy this nice slightly used upper from the EE, add a TC BCG, and attach to the PSA lower.  That would leave money for a trigger upgrade and optics.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 9:46:05 AM EDT
[#35]
thanks guys, lot to mow over for the next hour. Ill be back.

Im havin a crisis, not sure if i want fde now, because itll be hard to find a grip and stock that matches the rail. Oh well, ill fgure it out. That EE looks like a good deal.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 10:02:15 AM EDT
[#36]
I noticed that aero precision is now selling complete lowers with Magpul furniture via their website, something else to evaluate. Their uppers are made with ballistic advantage barrels too.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 11:04:11 AM EDT
[#37]
ya i might check out there uppers.

Im about to pull the trigger on a lower, but ive got a question. I was going to go with this:

but found these instead (better grip, more subtle FDE, or od green):
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-moe-plus-lpk-fde.html

https://palmettostatearmory.com/magpul-str-carbine-stock-mil-spec-mag470.html

my question is, what other parts do i need for these two items to be a complete lower like the first link. As of now these two items are $20 cheaper than the first link. But then I will have to buy a buffer tube. What other parts do i need beside a buffer tube?

Will this kit work, its the only one i could find.
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/buffer-tube-parts/buffer-tubes/ar-15-m16-mil-spec-buffer-tube-assembly-prod56055.aspx

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 11:35:50 AM EDT
[#38]
The Brownells kit along with the palmetto kit will have everything you’ll need to assemble the lower.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 11:38:34 AM EDT
[#39]
The first palmetto kit you linked is complete, all you’d need aside is a stripped lower.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 11:56:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Right im just not crazy about the color on that first link (the really light colored fde) , also ive got a better grip (moe +) with the other two links, which is he main reason. So you think that brownels buffer tube kits that i posted will be good and work with the middle two links i posted to make a complete lower. Sorry for this confusing reply.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 12:05:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Kl i just ordered the brownel and PSA kits!!! Thanks allot brother
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 1:00:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Kl i just ordered the brownel and PSA kits!!! Thanks allot brother
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 2:42:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Ok, so now what im looking at getting:

Toolcraft BCG - https://www.armorally.com/shop/toolcraft_5-56_nato_black_nitride_bolt_carrier_group/

Ballistic Advantage barrel-not sure about what barrel, will need some help

ALG rail-i guess im waitng on the barrel before i pick the rail.

Anderson Upper reciever-http://www.primaryarms.com/anderson-manufacturing-ar-15-stripped-upper-receiver-ar15-a3-upfor-um

How does this list look, also any advice on the barrel would be appreciated.

and once again, thanks everyone
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 3:25:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Bravo upper

BA barrel

Would recommend the bravo instead of Anderson and there’s a nice barrel that won’t break the bank. ALG may still have some blem rails on special via their website. The BA government barrel is a bit more affordable but does not include a gas block, you’ll need a gas tube regardless of which one you choose.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 3:57:37 PM EDT
[#45]
that barrel is out of stock unfortunatly, but i am looking for a 16in.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 4:01:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
that barrel is out of stock unfortunatly, but i am looking for a 16in.
View Quote
Plenty of other vendors out there that sell BA gear, I believe arm or ally does too. Many of site sponsors have them but I hold the Hanson line in high regard.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 4:03:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Carbine length

I favor mid length gas systems but this is a helluva price
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 4:35:50 PM EDT
[#48]
In your opinion is that a good barrel. Im going cheep on other parts so i can splurge on the barrel if needed. but if i can get the same quality barrel for $100 as a 200-300, i would do that.

also, would like to shoot close or in to MOA if possible, not a big deal if not.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 4:43:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
In your opinion is that a good barrel. Im going cheep on other parts so i can splurge on the barrel if needed. but if i can get the same quality barrel for $100 as a 200-300, i would do that.

also, would like to shoot close or in to MOA if possible, not a big deal if not.
View Quote
Yes sir, BA barrels are rock solid. They carry an moa guarantee which is covered on their website.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 4:54:46 PM EDT
[#50]
theres is an option to get "pinned on", with 3 different "pinned on" options, should i do that? also, i like longer rails 10in-12in, (looking at specific alg rails) can i use those with a carbine? Will i still need a gas tube and block? i dont like the fsb sites. Is a carbine still a good gas length?

20 questions I know, just gets a little more confsuing around the barrel.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top