Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Tacked FIELD STRIPPING THE AR15 (Page 2 of 4)
Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 8:19:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Well that is just great... As a Noob to the world of the AR-15 I love this Thread. That was so informative better than the Manual that came with my rifle. I had to buy a book on my other rifle as there was to much info out there that I could not digest. This Thread is short and to the point and the Color Photo's are great.
Thanks again,
BJU
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 9:43:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Excellent guide and top notch pictures.  I needed a bit of a refresher and your visual guide did just that.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 9:55:24 AM EDT
[#3]
thank you for great pics
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 9:27:29 PM EDT
[#4]
As a new owner of an AR, I found this post and thread to be an excellent reference!  It's nice when someone actually knows what they're doing with a camera takes the pictures, and your pictures demonstrate that you have that ability.  While I found the link to the lube thread to be quite interesting and informative (both from a what-to-do and what-not-to-do perspective), the knowledge you demonstrate in your photographic series suggests that people (myself included) would value your opinion on the application of proper lubricant.

Nice job!
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 12:25:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Newbie here.  Thanks for taking the time to demonstrate this.
Link Posted: 4/11/2010 6:07:59 PM EDT
[#6]
At least one noob has read and apreciated it!!!  
Link Posted: 4/11/2010 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By tbougie1:
TACK THIS NOW...but will the Noobs read it......best I have seen in a long time

Yup great for newbies
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 1:46:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks, as always, for a well done class. Always appreciated by we mechanical morons.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 8:59:51 PM EDT
[#9]
From a new member and a new owner I appreciate this greatly. Thanks from a noob
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 10:21:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Great pictures!
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 4:47:51 PM EDT
[#11]
One possible addition in the disassembly area; removing the ejector and spring from the bolt.  
There is a $40 tool out there that makes quick and easy work of this, anybody shooting a lot might want one in their tool box.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 5:51:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By dickwat:
One possible addition in the disassembly area; removing the ejector and spring from the bolt.  
There is a $40 tool out there that makes quick and easy work of this, anybody shooting a lot might want one in their tool box.

Removing the ejector is not part of a field strip.
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 6:31:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By beavo451:
Originally Posted By dickwat:

Removing the ejector is not part of a field strip.

Removing the ejector might be a little more advanced for a newbie, but is still an important area of maintenance after a couple of thousand rounds to get out all of the minute brass flakes. In the military we did not have those nice little tools to hold the bolt to remove the ejector pin. In armorers course, we were taught to use a pair of needle-nose pliers (the kind that have a wire cutter). Lay the pliers flat on a table, opened just sligltly, and rest the lugs of the bolt in the cut-out area of the wire cutter (it stabilizes the bolt and positions the pin straight up and down). Use a pin punch and drive out the ejector roll pin. Leave the punch in place until you point the bolt in a safe direction (so as to not lauch the spring loaded ejector). Remove the punch when you have it pointed in a safe place. Clean out all of the crap from the hole, spring, and ejector. Installation is as simple as putting in the spring, position the ejector, aligning the ejector notch, and using the pin punch as a temporary retaining tool, (push the ejector into the hole, and hold in place with the punch). Align and push the roll pin into the bolt forcing out the pin punch from the other end. Once the pin is started enough to retain the ejector, place it on the pliers to finish installing the roll pin.  Apply 2 drops of Breakfree into the ejector spring hole. Sounds harder than it actually is.
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 12:34:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Great Job and thank you very much..............I watched a video that was so funny.

Two guys were blind folded and told to re-assemble a M-16 and a AK 47 and the

instructor who was timing the event went over to the AK guys table and took

parts off of it, as he saw the ak guy was going to win by 3 minutes or more.

I still love my S&W M+P15FT and like buying American Made and put

Americans to work!  Everything I have bought for my new rifle is

Made in the USA and Im damn proud of that !!!!!

Link Posted: 5/26/2010 4:17:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Great stuff, bookmarked!
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 10:20:19 PM EDT
[#16]
This is extremely well thought out and the macro pictures are the greatest , a pity that all service/repair type manuals are not as well done and as clearly laid out , I for one truly appreciate the dedication to job well done ,PLEASE bring forth more !!!  .......swiftnsilent      
Link Posted: 6/9/2010 7:00:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Thank you so much for taking the time to post the pics. I'm a AR noob(just bought my first one this morning) I will definately refer back to this thread to clean my carbine.
Link Posted: 6/9/2010 9:23:35 PM EDT
[#18]
I already know how to do this from being in the military, but WHAT A GREAT SET OF PICS! I can even see the dog hair on your BCG! LOL! You should be writing a manual with pics like that!
Link Posted: 6/10/2010 2:22:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Great post. Now how about a reassembly post with pics for us that are new to the AR15?
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 9:29:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
I'm a nuube too, and I''ve been around two,!!!! ARs in my 62 years. Compared to my pogo stick, and bolt guns this thing is somewhat black art. Threads like this give me the stones to rip it open and learn what makes it run on it's own. Thanks, Mike

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 9:46:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Great job, Kudos!
Link Posted: 7/28/2010 8:55:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Sir,

What you have created is nothing short of a work of art, this is by far the best explanation of probably the most common question that is asked 24/7/365, I dare say your post was as perfect as can possibly be achieved. This needs to be stickied immediately and for eternity, and maybe emailed as part of the welcome email for new members.

you sir have just finished the book of Genesis of the Bible of the holy rifle. Kudos
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 9:27:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CanuckLMT] [#23]
As a guy new to shooting and a new owner of a 2009 LMT MRP CQB 16, I'd like to extend my gratitude for your great work.  There's no way I could confidently do a field strip with the inadequate manual that came with my rifle, not knowing ARs.   Thank-you!

BTW, would it be at all possible to make the "Lube" thread and/or archived material available to n00bs please? ;)

Thanks again and regards
Link Posted: 11/2/2010 3:52:15 AM EDT
[#24]
So - This thread is YEARS old, and still active. I think that speaks to two items;
First, Yes, it is damned well done.
Second, Yes, the N00bs are USING it!
Attaboy, brother - how many 'dumb' questions have you headed off? How many 'flames' prevented?

Thanks!

T&T
Link Posted: 11/2/2010 1:47:47 PM EDT
[#25]
I want to "second" what others have said. This is, by far, the BEST and most clearly illustrated guide I've seen anywhere.

And I vote too for a similar series on lubing and cleaning, etc.

Signed,
An appreciate N00b
Link Posted: 11/2/2010 7:38:19 PM EDT
[#26]
But I got to know, what's with the pink sling?
Link Posted: 11/29/2010 10:57:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Great job! Thanks for taking the time. Thi is the kind of stuff that is a great resource for new guy"s like myself.
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 2:58:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Thank you to the OP.  Excellent guide.  I've printed the photos along with the sidebars and it'll be in my compiled reference guide for future use.
Link Posted: 12/19/2010 7:50:16 PM EDT
[#29]

this noob read it!!
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 12:07:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Post Christmas bump.

My friend got a new AR for Christmas and he wanted me to show him how to strip his AR down for cleaning.  I pointed him to this site and this page and he didn't need any more help from me.

Hope some newbs find this helpful.
Link Posted: 1/6/2011 7:56:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Simply awesome ! Thanks so much for making everything clear to this Noob ! Now I can tear into my rifle with no fear I'll screw something up ! Shoo
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 3:05:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Just recently got into AR 15s. Have put a zillion rounds down range with S&W revolvers and Sig pistols. Used a Remington 870 my share, but know/knew nothing about AR's. Have been reading all I can find about disassembly and maintanence, just want to say these pictures are great and very useful, Thank You!  Am getting to the stage when the weather breaks and I can get to the range and put the AR to good use, I will see what I have learned at the end of the day. Again, love the pictures, clear explanations, quite useful.
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 12:06:45 AM EDT
[#33]
This noob read it as well, and I have to say this is the best breakdown description I've found.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 9:16:17 PM EDT
[#34]
From a new AR owner (and new to the forum)  I just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to put this up.  The best quality pics I've seen yet. I feel I now have a reference for a field strip.  Yep....a little different form my AK's!
Link Posted: 3/31/2011 2:45:04 PM EDT
[#35]
This is one more noob who has read this.  Thanks very much.
Link Posted: 4/4/2011 6:46:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Very very helpful to this newbie.  The pics are not the usual black-on-black pics, either, but show lots of sharp detail. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/5/2011 2:51:55 PM EDT
[#37]

This noob just read it!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/13/2011 8:22:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Went to print this on a better printer and pics are now gone.  Photobucket says they "are doing a little work".  Whatever it is, it's been going on for a couple of days now.

al
Link Posted: 4/13/2011 8:30:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: beavo451] [#39]
Originally Posted By Backroad:
Went to print this on a better printer and pics are now gone.  Photobucket says they "are doing a little work".  Whatever it is, it's been going on for a couple of days now.

al

Thanks for letting me know. Phtobucket tells me this:

Sorry for the inconvenience. We're in the middle of resolving an issue that affects a small percentage of our users. Rest assured your photos are safe, and we're working hard to get it fixed ASAP.

The estimated time to get this completed is approximately the end of today (04/12/11), 11 pm EDT. We apologize sincerely for the error, and we understand the problems this creates.

If it's not fixed soon, I'll find alternative hosting.
Link Posted: 4/13/2011 7:01:40 PM EDT
[#40]
i knew i was smart for copying those pics and saving them to my computer
Link Posted: 4/13/2011 7:29:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Okay different host for the pictures.
Link Posted: 4/21/2011 7:12:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Hey, thanks for the detailed pics from one more AR newbie!  I appreciate AR15.com for leaving these older post up so us new guys can get up to speed.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:03:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Perfect,so easy a caveman can do it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 10:38:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Thank you for helping me take apart my new M&P 15. Sure helped to build the confidence I needed to clean and lube before I try it out. This noob is appreciative of your easy to understand post.
Link Posted: 5/16/2011 10:08:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks a lot that was one of the best tutorial's I've seen,
I really
Appreciate It,
Those were some great photos also

Member NRA and the TSRA
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 8:29:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Great post thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 9:56:30 PM EDT
[#47]
do you need to oil the bolt before you but it in the bolt carrior?
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 9:25:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 3:45:38 PM EDT
[#49]

the pics are awesomes very helpful. how about cleaning and maintenance of a psiton AR15?
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 6:44:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By mu9en:

this noob read it!!

This noob too! Extremely helpful, Thanks so much.
Page / 4
Tacked FIELD STRIPPING THE AR15 (Page 2 of 4)
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top