Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2023 12:10:36 AM EDT
I very recently arranged to buy a sweet 1965 ish SP1 square forge upper from a member here so I can rob it of its immaculate period correct MV 12 barrel for my very first retro build,
which is an early (1965) Colt XM16E1 reweld. (Thank you @aeyoung for the perfect upper, and to @gurn-blanston for talking me into following through with this build, and your
kindness in general)
Attachment Attached File

The "donor" receiver has had some custom modifications.

I imagine welding a carrying handle back onto it and making it look right might be difficult, although I do not doubt that there is someone who could do it, and I may very well ask
about it, BUT....

I also have this nutsy idea to have that block permanently welded and blended into the upper and turn it into a one of a kind retro "Colt Long Range Sniper" variant,
hence the question in the title. I am aware that there are fat barrels in 24" but in this case I have an already chopped down period correct FSB I could make use of, if such
a thing as a 24" pencil barrel exists. My sick mind is already whirring with thoughts of a mid 1960's US engraved fine crosshair Weaver K6-60B-1 in typical low Weaver rings, all
dressed up in Norrell's moly resin to tie it all together.  

If no one makes a 24" pencil maybe I can find someone to turn down a HB.... maybe, 1:9 twist?
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 12:53:04 AM EDT
[#1]
@backbencher
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 12:57:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I sent a 1:9" twist 27" blank, a White Oak bbl extension & a bolt to Paladin Machine in South Carolina a few years back.  I got back an honest to god 27" pencil bbl.  If you are running .223, I highly recommend rifle gas - do not do rifle +3".
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 1:32:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I sent a 1:9" twist 27" blank, a White Oak bbl extension & a bolt to Paladin Machine in South Carolina a few years back.  I got back an honest to god 27" pencil bbl.  If you are running .223, I highly recommend rifle gas - do not do rifle +3".
View Quote

24 is plenty, but I looked at some charts and with most ammo
velocity was still increasing past 26.  Overall the diff between
20 and 24 was roughly 100fps  across the board between 55 62
and 68 grainers. Edit to add: If i do this its not just for kicks,
it'd be nice if it turned out to be a tack driver!
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 5:12:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Never mind, I can’t read lol
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 9:06:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Paladin is your man as said before.  He did me a 28” .458 SOCOM with rifle gas that has never missed a beat.  Also, stick with rifle gas.  All this past crap with +1,2,3 gas systems is only going to cause you trouble down the road.  I turned my perfectly functioning 24” .260 with rifle gas into a nightmare that has taken over two years and several powders to get it functioning properly with +2” gas.  Never again will I go along with stupid fads when I felt in my gut it was BS, and it was.  It functions now but only with powders that do not give top velocity.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 9:10:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  I sent a 1:9" twist 27" blank, a White Oak bbl extension & a bolt to Paladin Machine in South Carolina a few years back.  I got back an honest to god 27" pencil bbl.  If you are running .223, I highly recommend rifle gas - do not do rifle +3".

I built it for my stepdaughter as a bayonet mount, not a target rifle.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 10:35:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

yourself.  I built it for my stepdaughter as a bayonet mount, not a target rifle.
View Quote

The was for me, not you!!
I absolutely appreciate your input, sir!

Also, I do not understand what "rifle gas" means, Ive carried several govt owned Colts over the past 35 years but am far from armorer level
knowledge.  My first "own" Colt was a 1975 SP1 I bought for $400 with some of the 12B enlistment bonus I got after graduation in 1986.
I went into basic with the thought that these rifles (worn out sloppy between upper and lower) would'nt shoot well.  Ended up being
so impressed I had to have one, then ended up feeling cheated because an SP1 isn't quite the same thing.

Edit:  I will look into what rifle gas means using search feature.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 10:57:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Paladin is your man as said before.  He did me a 28” .458 SOCOM with rifle gas that has never missed a beat.  Also, stick with rifle gas.  All this past crap with +1,2,3 gas systems is only going to cause you trouble down the road.  I turned my perfectly functioning 24” .260 with rifle gas into a nightmare that has taken over two years and several powders to get it functioning properly with +2” gas.  Never again will I go along with stupid fads when I felt in my gut it was BS, and it was.  It functions now but only with powders that do not give top velocity.
View Quote

Ok, so I looked around a little and this is what I *think* you all mean.... "rifle gas" being a standard rifle length 20" barrel with the FSB in the normal location?

That would definitely be my intent, as I intend it to be a one-off retro build, only I thought it would be fun to lengthen the barrell 4" forward of the FSB.
Turning it down would only be necessary because I will have that already chopped down FSB, plus the pencil profile out front will look more like 1965 for
a more retro look.  The goal would be to make it look like it was a factory experimental thing. I looked around for something similar and this was as close
as I could find.  I think on my build the scope will sit lower, which is nice, and there is *probably" still enough clearance for a period correct K6-60B1 Weaver.

Something like this, US engraved and Norelled to match. Crosshairs are super fine in those old things and they are pretty dependable.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 2:12:48 PM EDT
[#9]
What I mean is any barrel length you want, you mentioned 24”, but put the gas block/gas port in the RIFLE location.  I have a lot of 24” ARs with rifle length gas and all work perfectly, but the 24” LR .260 mentioned with rifle length plus two inches gas turned into a functioning headache .
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 3:03:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:  Ok, so I looked around a little and this is what I *think* you all mean.... "rifle gas" being a standard rifle length 20" barrel with the FSB in the normal location?

That would definitely be my intent, as I intend it to be a one-off retro build, only I thought it would be fun to lengthen the barrell 4" forward of the FSB.
Turning it down would only be necessary because I will have that already chopped down FSB, plus the pencil profile out front will look more like 1965 for
a more retro look.  The goal would be to make it look like it was a factory experimental thing. I looked around for something similar and this was as close
as I could find.  I think on my build the scope will sit lower, which is nice, and there is *probably" still enough clearance for a period correct K6-60B1 Weaver.

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/0051e38a-5255-484e-868c-72a9a1a477e4/d4hj3ht-1d0d77e8-464e-437d-913f-6e7bb8f6ded9.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzAwNTFlMzhhLTUyNTUtNDg0ZS04NjhjLTcyYTlhMWE0NzdlNFwvZDRoajNodC0xZDBkNzdlOC00NjRlLTQzN2QtOTEzZi02ZTdiYjhmNmRlZDkuanBnIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.CxQDEvdMx6Z1jkkQEOP4aTzW_-jB9sOZf4X5JhKABKQ

Something like this, US engraved and Norelled to match. Crosshairs are super fine in those old things and they are pretty dependable.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/mgm-content/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2014/05/15/3064521_01_weaver_k6_60_b1_rifle_scope_po_640.jpg
View Quote

Yep, gas tubes are available in:

Pistol
Carbine
Mid-Gas
Rifle
Rifle + 1"
Rifle + 2"
Rifle + 3"

You're going to get slightly more gas dwell time in a 24" bbl w/ standard rifle length gas than you would from a 20" bbl, but it's not going to matter much.  To get rifle + 3" gas to run, I had to pull all the weights out of the carbine buffer & use a lightweight steel carrier.

That will look pretty sweet, my apologies for my confusion.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 3:04:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What I mean is any barrel length you want, you mentioned 24”, but put the gas block/gas port in the RIFLE location.  I have a lot of 24” ARs with rifle length gas and all work perfectly, but the 24” LR .260 mentioned with rifle length plus two inches gas turned into a functioning headache .
View Quote

I thought I understood that correctly, thanks.  Yes, definitely in the rifle location as I want this cur pony to wear triangle hand guards.  I appreciate
everyone's input, too.  When a group can bounce ideas back and forth in the planning stage, revisions usually aren't necessary.

Im thinking I need a REALLY fat barrel under those handguards.....  I have seen or heard of (here I think) some kind of hidden free float system that
allows regular handguards. Maybe it can become a Cur Stallion? Lemons to lemonade.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 3:05:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yep, gas tubes are available in:

Pistol
Carbine
Mid-Gas
Rifle
Rifle + 1"
Rifle + 2"
Rifle + 3"

You're going to get slightly more gas dwell time in a 24" bbl w/ standard rifle length gas than you would from a 20" bbl, but it's not going to matter much.  To get rifle + 3" gas to run, I had to pull all the weights out of the carbine buffer & use a lightweight steel carrier.

That will look pretty sweet, my apologies for my confusion.
View Quote

Oh, ok, now that PERFECTLY clears it up for me.  I did not know that. Thank you!
(the +1 +2 +3 part)
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 3:37:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I thought I understood that correctly, thanks.  Yes, definitely in the rifle location as I want this cur pony to wear triangle hand guards.  I appreciate
everyone's input, too.  When a group can bounce ideas back and forth in the planning stage, revisions usually aren't necessary.

Im thinking I need a REALLY fat barrel under those handguards.....  I have seen or heard of (here I think) some kind of hidden free float system that
allows regular handguards. Maybe it can become a Cur Stallion? Lemons to lemonade.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  What I mean is any barrel length you want, you mentioned 24”, but put the gas block/gas port in the RIFLE location.  I have a lot of 24” ARs with rifle length gas and all work perfectly, but the 24” LR .260 mentioned with rifle length plus two inches gas turned into a functioning headache .

Oh, you're going heavy?  

White Oak should have the steel free float tube that takes standard handguards.  They also sell buttstock weights.

This:  https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/service-rifle-float-tube-assembly.html

Out of stock currently, you might have to hunt around a bit for one, not much used today.

A 27" pencil w/ no weights in the buffer and a lightweight carrier on a hollow thumbhole stock & polymer lower handles like a wand w/o the bayonet mounted.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 4:13:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
HBARs suck.

A1 handguards won't fit a DCM tube. Well, they can after removing the heat shields and some ribbing, but then they flex and the vent teeth scratch your fingers or get caught on whatever it's resting on.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 4:21:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Oh, you're going heavy?  

White Oak should have the steel free float tube that takes standard handguards.  They also sell buttstock weights.

This:  https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/service-rifle-float-tube-assembly.html

Out of stock currently, you might have to hunt around a bit for one, not much used today.

A 27" pencil w/ no weights in the buffer and a lightweight carrier on a hollow thumbhole stock & polymer lower handles like a wand w/o the bayonet mounted.
View Quote

Eh? I really don't know.... about heavy.... I just figd to hide the fat part under handguards.  Hey, like I said Im open, bouncing ideas and opinions back and forth
pretty much eliminates things going wrong.  Also just figd it wld (maybe) be like my ratworx 5.45x39 ar.  Looks like a carbine til you look under the handguards, and that
thing drives tacks.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 4:24:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
HBARs suck.

A1 handguards won't fit a DCM tube. Well, they can after removing the heat shields and some ribbing, but then they flex and the vent teeth scratch your fingers or get caught on whatever it's resting on.
View Quote

Noted... so you all are saying no fatty under the HG's.  Idk, maybe just let it hang out there, no free float.  Just hold it by the magwell then.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 4:35:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wouldnt I need a +4 to mount a bayonet anyway?  

Nah, this rifle is not built in the spirit of the bayonet, it will be built in the spirit of white feather. Yeah ok not a 300 mag, but "in the spirit".
This will be the 1965 version of the Noreen Bad News in 5.56
Fk it, there are no rules. I'll have braceman weld a bipod mount on the front of the magwell; problem solved.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 10:02:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
HBARs suck.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HBARs suck.

^all this!
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 10:10:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

^all this!
View Quote

What would you do?  As I have said, I want this Cur Stallion to be a build based on the individual dreams of the hive... but, its gotta be retro.  
Im not sure I need a free floater if I have a magwell supported bipod.... I mean I did manage expert in basic (1986)  with a worn out flopper
using that same basic technique (thanks Dad for the tip) but as I say... I want this Cur Stallion to be for FUN, for all of us.   Dont be afraid to
improve upon the ideas prsented thus far.  Cur Stallion needs you!
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 12:12:26 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm thinking Larue Stealth, Krieger #4 heavy sporter, or Criterion Core kinda profile. About 0.800" under the handguards. A 0.75" gas block and 0.675" to the muzzle would look a little beefier.
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 1:13:53 AM EDT
[#21]
How did we go from pencil to stealth? Nothing against stealths (I have one) but, don't encourage that shit. He was onto something in the beginning.
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 8:16:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm thinking Larue Stealth, Krieger #4 heavy sporter, or Criterion Core kinda profile. About 0.800" under the handguards. A 0.75" gas block and 0.675" to the muzzle would look a little beefier.
View Quote

Well that does get me to thinking about a barrel brand, but it has to get turned down out front so the original chopped front sight bracket has a use.  
Waste not want not want not and all that.
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 8:16:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Nah, this rifle is not built in the spirit of the bayonet, it will be built in the spirit of white feather. Yeah ok not a 300 mag, but "in the spirit".
Fk it, there are no rules. I'll have braceman weld a bipod mount on the front of the magwell; problem solved.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  A 27" pencil w/ no weights in the buffer and a lightweight carrier on a hollow thumbhole stock & polymer lower handles like a wand w/o the bayonet mounted.

Depends on your bayonet mount.  An 1866 Chasspot bayonet doesn't use an AR bayonet mount.

If there are no rules, flip it over, chop the pistol grip, run it like a BREN.
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 8:17:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
How did we go from pencil to stealth? Nothing against stealths (I have one) but, don't encourage that shit. He was onto something in the beginning.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/21/2023 10:38:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Depends on your bayonet mount.  An 1866 Chasspot bayonet doesn't use an AR bayonet mount.

View Quote

That thing would be as long as a garand!  Instead I'll get a colt buntline special and mount the chassepot on it, that way itll only be 4 feet long instead of 6...
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 11:58:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That thing would be as long as a garand!  Instead I'll get a colt buntline special and mount the chassepot on it, that way itll only be 4 feet long instead of 6...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was trying to build her a rifle as long as she is tall.
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 12:03:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

That'll be great for PT Rifle Drills
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 8:04:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/372020/IMG_2900_jpeg-2960027.JPG

The "donor" receiver has had some custom modifications.

I imagine welding a carrying handle back onto it and making it look right might be difficult, although I do not doubt that there is someone who could do it, and I may very well ask
about it, BUT....
View Quote

I’d leave it. Chopped carry handles are interesting product of their time and fairly uncommon.

I’d love to find one on the cheap someday and build it up.
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 9:23:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

I saw this just now and thought of you.  Old news, but new news to me.  I'd have shit pants for one of these as a kid.
I got turned loose on the farm with a single shot bolt action 22lr when I was 7, didnt get to take out the anschutz 141
clip fed one until I was 10. But this thing....
https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Would-you-buy-this-for-your-kid-The-WEE1-Tactical-JR-15-/118-782551/
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 9:26:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I’d leave it. Chopped carry handles are interesting product of their time and fairly uncommon.

I’d love to find one on the cheap someday and build it up.
View Quote

I wholeheartedly agree, and I get to feel good about not being the guy who chopped it.  Im as excited for this build as I am about the XM16E1, probably because
its just way different and there aren't really any rules aside from trying to create a nice shooter and keep it retro.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 6:11:45 PM EDT
[#31]
UPDATE: I have found the perfect barrel for the upcoming 601 super secret squirrel sniper.  Arrangements have been made for a custom one-off
by the braceman.  Y'all gonna shit pants.  Got yer shittin pants on?
creecher; out
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 12:35:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Its going toward a original looking 601 with a 24' bbl...Im so dang excited!
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 12:48:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Not exactly a pencil, but I believe this will work out!

I got so dang lucky, imho!  I found this Colt M16A1E1 upper with a 24" barrel, perfect BARREL for a 601 retro sniper, because other than the fact its A2 profile,
the FSB "looks" cast/ correct-ish, especially with the raised sight arrow; and the roll pinned plastic coated swivel just makes it all the sweeter.  I have no
clue what the barrel is, couldnt see any markings on it except the 5.56. Now I have to either build some A1 handguards onto a free float tube or have the
handguards fabbed from scratch out of aluminum, are the two ideas so far. I also briefly looked at the 10oz  phoenixweaponry FF tube, kinda cool because it
reminds me of the barrel shround on a M2 .50 BMG; but then again this is supposed to look retro, and nothing will look more retro than green fakelite HG's or a
home made aluminum one off triangular ff tube.  Any thoughts?

(Now I'll be starting an M16A1E1/C7 with the leftover recvr, this will make 4th project started from leftover parts, what a shtshow. )

Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:54:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 7:47:58 PM EDT
[#35]

Good luck finding any reference to the scope, LOL.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 10:12:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:  Not exactly a pencil, but I believe this will work out!

I got so dang lucky, imho!  I found this Colt M16A1E1 upper with a 24" barrel, perfect BARREL for a 601 retro sniper, because other than the fact its A2 profile,
the FSB "looks" cast/ correct-ish, especially with the raised sight arrow; and the roll pinned plastic coated swivel just makes it all the sweeter.  I have no
clue what the barrel is, couldnt see any markings on it except the 5.56. Now I have to either build some A1 handguards onto a free float tube or have the
handguards fabbed from scratch out of aluminum, are the two ideas so far. I also briefly looked at the 10oz  phoenixweaponry FF tube, kinda cool because it
reminds me of the barrel shround on a M2 .50 BMG; but then again this is supposed to look retro, and nothing will look more retro than green fakelite HG's or a
home made aluminum one off triangular ff tube.  Any thoughts?

(Now I'll be starting an M16A1E1/C7 with the leftover recvr, this will make 4th project started from leftover parts, what a shtshow. )

https://imgur.com/HZ1lmmS.jpg
https://imgur.com/ynU5hmA.jpg
https://imgur.com/od96pHA.jpg
https://dpbfm6h358sh7.cloudfront.net/images/15999406/1003358124.jpg
View Quote

Looks heavy but long.  You're considering using the holy free float tube instead of a heavy internal free float tube w/ A1 handguards?
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 2:17:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Looks heavy but long.  You're considering using the holy free float tube instead of a heavy internal free float tube w/ A1 handguards?
View Quote

Wellll..... yeah.  I spelled out my thoughts/ considerations if you read them.  Taking into account free float, yes it is needed.  How to do it though,
and still be "retro".   So I think, what would be retro? Maybe a handmade FF tube? Or, that Ma Deuce lookin thing? Or, the HG FF tube, idk.
I have time to think.  Like I said before, I want the damn thing to shoot, not just look cool.

Not too worried about weight.  But. I'd like the gun to look like I was the first MF to think of a FF tube way back in '65.
(couple yr b4 I was born heh heh) I think I could get some help w/that if I asked. What would you do? I envision a one-off solid aluminum FF tube
shaped like triagular HG's. Not that big of a deal to make one. I have several old car based police K9 kennels that are a proper thickness that would
make nice test-bed stuff. (I cld make a half dozen sets from one american aluminum kennel.)
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 1:06:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Wellll..... yeah.  I spelled out my thoughts/ considerations if you read them.  Taking into account free float, yes it is needed.  How to do it though,
and still be "retro".   So I think, what would be retro? Maybe a handmade FF tube? Or, that Ma Deuce lookin thing? Or, the HG FF tube, idk.
I have time to think.  Like I said before, I want the damn thing to shoot, not just look cool.

Not too worried about weight.  In fact, Ive given consideration to weighting the stock. But. I'd like the gun to look like I was the first MF to think
of a FF tube way back in '65. (couple yr b4 I was born heh heh) I think I could get some help w/that if I asked. What would you do? I envision a
one-off solid aluminum FF tube shaped like triagular HG's. Not that big of a deal to make one. I have several old car based police K9 kennels that
are a proper thickness that would make nice test-bed stuff. (I cld make a half dozen sets from one american aluminum kennel.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Looks heavy but long.  You're considering using the holy free float tube instead of a heavy internal free float tube w/ A1 handguards?

Not too worried about weight.  In fact, Ive given consideration to weighting the stock. But. I'd like the gun to look like I was the first MF to think
of a FF tube way back in '65. (couple yr b4 I was born heh heh) I think I could get some help w/that if I asked. What would you do? I envision a
one-off solid aluminum FF tube shaped like triagular HG's. Not that big of a deal to make one. I have several old car based police K9 kennels that
are a proper thickness that would make nice test-bed stuff. (I cld make a half dozen sets from one american aluminum kennel.)

Well, if you're welding aluminum, why not weld a proper holey aluminum free float tube that will mount standard A1 handguards?  Looks retro, is free float, doesn't add 3 lbs to the front of the rifle.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 4:34:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Well, if you're welding aluminum, why not weld a proper holey aluminum free float tube that will mount standard A1 handguards?  Looks retro, is free float, doesn't add 3 lbs to the front of the rifle.
View Quote

Good suggestion, I think I just figured out what to do.  I'll just build a one piece aluminum FF tube that looks like triangle handguards (holes and all) and epoxy it the correct green
for a 601.  I cant imagine it would be any heavier than a pair of clamshells on a FF adapter... heck thats what they should have done in the first place.  I just made a template, to
get the right shape, bending it will be another thing, and I imagine it will have to be shaped and welded at the top before the holes are milled out.  Bet if something like this was
mass produced it would sell like hotcakes.

If this happens it has to be you, @braceman, JT quit taking custom jobs.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 7:29:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Dunno, might get hot if you throw a lot of rounds through it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 8:12:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Dunno, might get hot if you throw a lot of rounds through it.
View Quote

I could wear gloves, at least it wouldnt melt and catch on fire. Decisions, decisions  
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 2:47:31 PM EDT
[#42]
New update: JT says he is no longer taking custom work; but also, amazingly; that he has never seen a Realist NATO scope. Hmmm.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 11:19:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Alright, alright; @backbencher, lets do a 608/ GAU-5/A stock. You'll get alot of the (-) weight back, although that barrel will
hang out there like john holmes' junk in a pecker factory.  Don't matter, shooter will be holdin it.  Dont ban me Im serious;
what about this bipod: evike dot com/products/41458/ Dont ban me, bro!
Willie Nelson - Whiskey River (Live From Austin City Limits, 1981)
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 11:46:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:  Alright, alright; @backbencher, lets do a 608/ GAU-5/A stock. You'll get alot of the (-) weight back, although that barrel will
hang out there like john holmes' junk in a pecker factory.  Don't matter, shooter will be holdin it.  Dont ban me Im serious;
what about this bipod: evike dot com/products/41458/ Dont ban me, bro!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPkEmBCZTlA
View Quote

https://evike.com/products/41458/

I think you can do better than an airsoft bipod.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 11:54:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

https://evike.com/products/41458/

I think you can do better than an airsoft bipod.
View Quote

Yeah probably but some of those look both light and substantial.  Just spitballing.  I spent some time giving it consideration,
probably will go with a USGI modified M14 bipod. (M2)  That would be period correct.  Weighs 14oz m/l. Anyway....
Not buying another thing for a minute! Bman is handling right up on my A1 and E1 lowers!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top