User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 7
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 8:19:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I thought the SR25 is able to accept original waffle mags.
View Quote
Not according to internet searches
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 8:44:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Not according to internet searches
View Quote
Well, maybe you should defer to those who physically have the stuff...
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 8:47:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's what my search yielded.  I'm honestly a little confused but I was under the presumption that the SR-25 is pretty much the industry standard mag and that it was able to accept original Armalite mags.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 9:20:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I don’t know much about them, but I bought a few a couple years back...

Link Posted: 1/30/2018 9:49:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Not really - they will not fit any modern AR10's, including Brownell's, which uses SR25 magazines
View Quote
Not correct AR10A will accept the box mag, the Bs have the M14 adaptation. The early SR25s were originally delivered with NOS AR10 waffles which had their floor plates replaced with a blank one of a slightly different color. Any DPMS pattern 308 AR should accept waffles. If you press the bump flat on the modern DSPMS pattern mags they will work in original AR10s. I have used them both ways.

ETA - the slot must also be modified on the DPMS mag to work in an original AR10

PS
The AR10 you have been calling a Portuguese is actually a Sudanese. Its easy to tell the difference without looking at the physical charging handle, the slot and c-handle are wider for the Port seen in the casting as a shoulder under the sight base where the Sudans are the same width. If you look back at the faux carbine upper you will see the shoulder under the sight

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 9:53:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Neat.   Never buy one but neat
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 9:57:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I would love to find an old ARMALITE waffle mag for my new ARMALITE DEF-10

Link Posted: 1/31/2018 8:36:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Think I have to have one---neat! Kudos to Brownells.

Because I know I'll be changing things, it would sure be sharp to buy & assemble the parts individually.

I wonder if the heat shields on the AR15 handguards will clear the larger barrel.

Also sure like to see the lower's markings/roll marks.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 9:25:05 PM EDT
[#11]
My buddy just dropped on a BRN-10B.

Did we get a timeframe for these things yet?
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 9:47:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Dutch AR-10s are what the Germans ALMOST adopted instead of the G3. But only didn't because the Dutch didn't have enough industrial capacity to complete the orders the West Germans needed for fighting the Communist horde.

As I understand it, they were probably the best AR-10s ever made. So a Dutch AR-10 clone sounds amazing.
View Quote
The FAL (G-1) beat out the G-3. IIRC, FN's refusal to grant a licence to HK to fully produce the rifles was what lead to adoptotion of the G-3, although I believe that the BGS continued to use the FAL in some numbers into the 1980s.

Also, I've noticed that some of the trials pictures seem to show AR-10s with the Armalite-style upper.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 12:12:07 AM EDT
[#13]
I just want a set of perforated hand guards , I don’t care if they are 2 piece like the originals or made from a round tube. I’m sure they wouldn’t be to hard to make. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 12:54:29 AM EDT
[#14]
I was watching Chris Bartocci's live stream Q&A last night, and he seemed to be quite confident another front sight base is in work for the Brownells AR-10.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 2:35:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The FAL (G-1) beat out the G-3. IIRC, FN's refusal to grant a licence to HK to fully produce the rifles was what lead to adoption of the G-3, although I believe that the BGS continued to use the FAL in some numbers into the 1980s.
View Quote
That's the story I heard. The Belgians were still "upset" about WWII. They were happy to sell the new Federal Republic of Germany as many rifles as they wanted, but would not grant licensing rights.

I'm unfamiliar with their AR-10 trials, but that's certainly interesting.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 5:21:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That's the story I heard. The Belgians were still "upset" about WWII. They were happy to sell the new Federal Republic of Germany as many rifles as they wanted, but would not grant licensing rights.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The FAL (G-1) beat out the G-3. IIRC, FN's refusal to grant a licence to HK to fully produce the rifles was what lead to adoption of the G-3, although I believe that the BGS continued to use the FAL in some numbers into the 1980s.

They tested four rifles which they designated G-1, G-2, G-3, and G-4.

The G-1 was the FAL with a particular configuration specified by Germany (bipod-capable, metal handguards, lower sights, QD muzzle devices, etc.).

The G-2 was a SIG 510, but I forget if it was the 510-4 or if it had the 510-1 configuration with the only difference being the cartridge (7.62X51 rather than 7.5X55).

The G-3 as used in the trials seems to have had a mix of features unique to the CETME Models B and C and the production G-3 based on a picture I saw, and was made by HK.

The G-4 was the AR-10.  Supposedly they also got a few of the 7.62X39 variants of the AR-10 at some point.

From what I recall, the G-1 won, with the G-3 coming in second.

From another thread with pictures, one of the ARs shot looks like a Hollywood Armalite AR-10 based on the upper.  That thread also had a pic of a privately owned trials rifle.

Link Posted: 2/1/2018 7:41:36 AM EDT
[#17]
I am not up on the AR10s, but I have seen some with some early kit guns wood stocks - I think these were replacement wood from a place in Canada where they used to sell kits I think the name was Wilkes?  Although not original, I sort of like the look of real wood on the kits guns I've seen with that.

Anyone know if wood was ever used officially or was it an aftermarket thing for replacing beat up stocks?
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 7:54:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I am not up on the AR10s, but I have seen some with some early kit guns wood stocks - I think these were replacement wood from a place in Canada where they used to sell kits I think the name was Wilkes?  Although not original, I sort of like the look of real wood on the kits guns I've seen with that.

Anyone know if wood was ever used officially or was it an aftermarket thing for replacing beat up stocks?
View Quote
Wood was not used in factory production AR10 stocks.  A just a handful of prototypes had wood buttstocks.  A few dozen Transitional AR10s had wood hand guards.

The nice wood stocks you see (page 299 Putnams book,"jungle furniture") were made in Canada by Peter Wilke in order to be able to sell complete kits.
The beaten up wooden stocks you see were likely made while the Porto AR10 was in Africa.  The two stocks have a different profile with the African stock being heavier.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 12:23:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Does anyone here have an extra original Dutch  pistol grip? Will an original grip fit a modern lower ? There is a 3D scanning place about an hour from my house and would love to get one of these grips scanned, if need be I can get a scan done and modify the dimensions to fit a modern lower that way these can be printed by anyone , anytime once the digital file out there . If anyone has a grip I can borrow or purchase let me know .
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 1:08:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Does anyone here have an extra original Dutch  pistol grip? Will an original grip fit a modern lower ? There is a 3D scanning place about an hour from my house and would love to get one of these grips scanned, if need be I can get a scan done and modify the dimensions to fit a modern lower that way these can be printed by anyone , anytime once the digital file out there . If anyone has a grip I can borrow or purchase let me know .
View Quote
I am sending an original Dutch grip to Brownells.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 5:44:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I am sending an original Dutch grip to Brownells.
View Quote
I hope Brownell's takes good care of all of your items.  I once let a company borrow some irreplacable items, and they came back with "ORIGINAL" in red paint stenciled onto them. The paint could not be removed without permanently defacing the items
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 6:23:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 7:18:54 PM EDT
[#23]
The barrel profile on the A!!!
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 7:43:15 PM EDT
[#24]
I am warming up to one these. Really well done. I really have to salute Brownells for bringing this to market.
The only improvements I would like to see something closer to original front sight and the shade of brown paint.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 7:54:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I am warming up to one these. Really well done. I really have to salute Brownells for bringing this to market.
The only improvements I would like to see something closer to original front sight and the shade of brown paint.
View Quote
I can fix the brown myself though... the fsb not so much
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 9:44:12 AM EDT
[#26]
I want the B's barrel profile with the A's furniture!  Does anyone know who makes the BCG / does the chrome plating coating for these AR10 rifles?
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 10:34:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I want the B's barrel profile with the A's furniture!  ....?
View Quote
me too

I want the skinny barrel and would probably paint the furniture darker anyway

Link Posted: 2/2/2018 10:34:46 AM EDT
[#28]
@brownells

Are uppers/ receiver sets going to be offered ?
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 11:38:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 11:49:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yes, just like the AR-15 line, the receiver set (upper w/ rear sight, charging handle, and lower receiver with takedown pins, mag release, bolt catch & selector), barrels, BCGs and muzzle devices will be offered.  The receivers will be purchased in a set, as they are not compatible with other platforms.
View Quote
Great to hear , I’d love to see how light I can get one of these , I think a 6 pound , carbine with iron sights would be the bees knees ,

I already plan on getting your lightweight model and having prototype FSB installed and the barrel forward of the FSB reprofiled to .600 like a FAL to reduce some more weight , also going to drop the flash hider as it looks heavy
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 12:19:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 12:49:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 1:15:12 PM EDT
[#33]
@Brownells

1. Any chance of getting the “B” model with “A” brown furniture directly from you guys?

2. Any chance you guys will be making a “correct” FSB?
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 1:46:34 PM EDT
[#34]
I reckon a carry handle AR10 sbr may be in the future for me.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 9:34:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It's going to be fun to watch all the one-off customs that come out of this rifle.

A Dissy BRN-10 would be sexy.
View Quote
Seeing as half of the thing is ar15 parts and the other works with dpms, seems like its the ultimate .308 lego.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 9:46:16 PM EDT
[#36]
To be clear, they used AR10 mags that were modified by having the mag catch open up a little.  I had an early Knight’s SR-25 that came with a waffle mag, and knew someone who worked there that got me a couple more of the modified mags.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 9:46:46 PM EDT
[#37]
I want to clone this first

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 10:39:44 PM EDT
[#38]
And once that's done, buy a rifle like that too!
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 11:26:11 PM EDT
[#39]
KLM polar bear gun
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 5:00:53 AM EDT
[#40]
If you guys get bored, here is a link to the Dutch Military museum. As expected, they have a large collection of AR-

https://www.nmm.nl/zoeken-in-de-collectie/?q=AR10&page=1

Some neat ones:

Link Posted: 2/3/2018 9:43:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
If you guys get bored, here is a link to the Dutch Military museum. As expected, they have a large collection of AR-

https://www.nmm.nl/zoeken-in-de-collectie/?q=AR10&page=1
View Quote
Cool site, thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 10:18:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Isn't that a photo of one of the Stewardess on some arctic airline that was modeling with the rifle noting they carry AR10 rifles for emergency polar bear encounters?

Now that is reassurance for your passengers!
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 10:23:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Its not factory, but I think I really like the wood look on these early AR10s.

Its likely because my first encounter with them was Wilke's kits from Canada that were outfitted with aftermarket wood.  At the time I just liked them and got fixated on wood furniture on these.

Would also take a good faux bakelite color too.

Link Posted: 2/3/2018 10:29:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Whatever this one is would be by preferred variant.

I'd go for a Brownell's "B" type barrel with the duckbill/prong FH and correct FSB and furniture as soon as it's available though.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 11:22:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Its likely because my first encounter with them was Wilke's kits from Canada that were outfitted with aftermarket wood.  At the time I just liked them and got fixated on wood furniture on these.
http://weaponsman.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/ar-10_porto_right_side1.jpg
View Quote
Back in the day I picked up a Hahn re-welded AR10 receiver.  The price was right and I just couldn't pass it up.

Later I traded some HK MP5 stuff for an AR10 parts kit. I was told that Peter Wilkie, from Canada, and Jack Martinez, from Bakersfield, were selling these kits back in the day. Over the years, others have told me that Peter Wilkie had these handguards and buttstocks made to mate with his kits because the original ones fell apart.  I then put together this AR10.   I would love to find the correct furniture for it.

Link Posted: 2/3/2018 11:42:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
@Brownells

Any chance you guys will be making a “correct” FSB?
View Quote
That would be HUGE/FANTASTIC if they were to do that.

Just think about it. Brownells hooking up with a manufacturer to cast those. Everything being set up, it might just be a couple more steps to make a cast FSB for their 601 and/or their retro barrels.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 12:08:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Brownells!  I love what you have done with your entire retro line.

Beyond the front base, the only major "issue" I have, personally, is the twist rate.  1/10 is fine for heavier bullets largely beyond 165 grain but I have found it VERY lacking for the ammo that most people will want to use in these rifles which is standard 147 to 155 grain ball of various types.

My 1/10 guns are great for everything over that....but pretty lousy for light bullets for the most part unless they are boat tailed and my rifle is in a good mood.

As a contrast, my roomie's Armalite DEF-10 runs a 1/11.25 twist ( as well as my 1/11 or 1/12 twist on my M1A ) and it handles everything up to and including 168 grain bullets with aplomb.  I would seriously consider turning out these rifles to run the ammo they were originally designed for in order that people can run regular ammo in them for a more enjoyable accuracy experience.

....and Dutch pattern pistol grips...that would rock!
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 12:19:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Brownells!  I love what you have done with your entire retro line.

Beyond the front base, the only major "issue" I have, personally, is the twist rate.  1/10 is fine for heavier bullets largely beyond 165 grain but I have found it VERY lacking for the ammo that most people will want to use in these rifles which is standard 147 to 155 grain ball of various types.

My 1/10 guns are great for everything over that....but pretty lousy for light bullets for the most part unless they are boat tailed and my rifle is in a good mood.

As a contrast, my roomie's Armalite DEF-10 runs a 1/11.25 twist ( as well as my 1/11 or 1/12 twist on my M1A ) and it handles everything up to and including 168 grain bullets with aplomb.  I would seriously consider turning out these rifles to run the ammo they were originally designed for in order that people can run regular ammo in them for a more enjoyable accuracy experience.

....and Dutch pattern pistol grips...that would rock!
View Quote
Is this true?  My M14s were all 1/12 twist and had good accuracy with the lighter and medium weight bullets.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 12:21:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

http://weaponsman.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/ar-10_porto_right_side1.jpg
View Quote
That wood looks really good, getting more and more excited about the possibilities with these. Staying tuned to see what handspun projects happen here.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 12:50:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:  To be clear, they used AR10 mags that were modified by having the mag catch open up a little.  I had an early Knight’s SR-25 that came with a waffle mag, and knew someone who worked there that got me a couple more of the modified mags.
View Quote
Thanks to all.  Updated the .308 AR magazine FAQ:  https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/669426_-308-AR-magazine-compatibility.html
Page / 7
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top