User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 2:12:20 PM EDT
[#1]
What a joke. That shop can eat shit.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 2:13:23 PM EDT
[#2]
find someone who is competent, discontinue any use of or communication with those guys.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 3:49:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
find someone who is competent, discontinue any use of or communication with those guys.
View Quote
My life's lessons lead me towards this advice as well.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 4:46:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Will welding straight to the barrel like that mess up the barrels heat treat? Also whst part of pa is this shop in i would like to avoid them.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 4:49:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 4:57:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not enough heat transferred.
View Quote
Thanks Tig good to know
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 4:59:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have not contacted them yet. Would only escalate it to blasting them if they would not take care of it after contact. What should I do in your guys opinion. This is ridiculous.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
did you tell them you were unhappy with the work? did they offer to refund your money? show them this thread and post the pics of barrels on their social media pages and tag them
I have not contacted them yet. Would only escalate it to blasting them if they would not take care of it after contact. What should I do in your guys opinion. This is ridiculous.
Do they have a facebook page? I would definitely post those pictures on it. I would NOT let them fix it but would post their info and those pictures everywhere! But I'm a dick like that.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 5:01:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Get your refund and call up adco, maybe they can salvage that train wreck.  I wouldnt even trust that shit to put cans on
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 5:06:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not enough heat transferred.
View Quote
At least their "welds" were too cold and not too hot
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 5:10:57 PM EDT
[#10]
times like this you find out how "reputable" a shop really is. Sounds like their fucking autistic
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 5:12:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 5:15:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 5:18:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh no......just no.

One word:

ADCO

Quality isnt cheap......because its quality
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 5:20:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I went to a local "reputable" dealer for a pin/weld on a X95. When I arrived, it was the guy's house, so apparently he works out of his garage. Red flag, but ok.

So I show him and explain I want it pinned/welded. He says sure no problem! Since it wasn't an AR that I could just pull the barrel off and replace with a cheap barrel if he screwed it up, I wanted to be sure he knew what he was doing. So I asked if he had done pin/weld jobs before and how it works.

He informed me that he will blind pin it with a roll pin so it can't come out, but there's no need to weld it.

I said, well, the ATF doesn't see it that way, they have specific approved methods, and pinning requires a weld. He was confused, like OP's gunsmith. "but it's permanently attached, which is what the ATF requires, so the weld doesn't matter, but if you really want me to, I can weld over the blind pin. I've never heard of having to weld over the pin."

I packed the gun back up and left. No way that was going to end well.

How can someone be a gunsmith for years and not know about pin/welding? No thanks.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 5:22:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ouch. Send them to me and I'll fix them for the cost of return shipping.
View Quote
Take this man up on his offer, OP.  They do phenomenal work.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 5:38:25 PM EDT
[#16]
FPNI
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 5:39:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

they probably thought you wouldn't know what a pin and weld is and thought they could get away with that bs

ask them for a refund and tell us what they say
View Quote
REFUND???

They’d be buying me two new barrels and comps.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 5:39:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If not at your expense, I would laugh.

They owe you 2 MDs, your $ back and at minimum some financial compensation. Reach out to JT at Retro Arms Works once ready to have them reworked. The man is God-like with guns.

That "service" really is total shit.
View Quote
It's ok. You can laugh lol. I'd consider myself a half decent "fabricator", largest job being converting a log shear from an excavator with 80 mm pins and 12" stick to one with 100 mm pins and a 16" stick. How any welder with any self respect would send that out is beyond me
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 5:40:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Very BIG of you!

Link Posted: 1/10/2020 5:40:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
That’s awesome. Good on you guys. OP you better take them up on the offer.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 5:45:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
That is really awesome of you guys. Made my week. Foolish of me to pass you guys up in the first place. I though to myself "how hard can it be" What way is best to get in contact with you?
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 5:47:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Looks to me like they owe you a muzzle device in addition to the refund of $ of the price of the service.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 5:48:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That is really awesome of you guys. Made my week. Foolish of me to pass you guys up in the first place. I though to myself "how hard can it be" What way is best to get in contact with you?
View Quote
From what I've seen, there's not a way to go wrong with using ADCO for these kinds of things (really anything to do with barrel issues).
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 5:51:05 PM EDT
[#24]
ADCO really does incredible work.

I just sent them a third upper to work on.

You know, I came across an old email from the original Bushmaster company in Maine. In it they recommended ADCO by name.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 5:51:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Looks to me like they owe you a muzzle device in addition to the refund of $ of the price of the service.
View Quote
You're right, but I'm not a perfectionist. At that point they'd owe me two barrels too for depositing that bird shit onto it. I messaged them requesting a refund and await a response.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 5:56:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I went to a local "reputable" dealer for a pin/weld on a X95. When I arrived, it was the guy's house, so apparently he works out of his garage. Red flag, but ok.

So I show him and explain I want it pinned/welded. He says sure no problem! Since it wasn't an AR that I could just pull the barrel off and replace with a cheap barrel if he screwed it up, I wanted to be sure he knew what he was doing. So I asked if he had done pin/weld jobs before and how it works.

He informed me that he will blind pin it with a roll pin so it can't come out, but there's no need to weld it.

I said, well, the ATF doesn't see it that way, they have specific approved methods, and pinning requires a weld. He was confused, like OP's gunsmith. "but it's permanently attached, which is what the ATF requires, so the weld doesn't matter, but if you really want me to, I can weld over the blind pin. I've never heard of having to weld over the pin."

I packed the gun back up and left. No way that was going to end well.

How can someone be a gunsmith for years and not know about pin/welding? No thanks.
View Quote
I wish these guys had displayed their ignorance like he did before ruining my shit
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 6:34:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 6:36:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 6:44:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 6:45:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Time to fucking burn them, dude.  I’d also send them a copy of the ATFs directives for legally pinning and welding a muzzle device.  What a bunch of fucking morons.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 6:45:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Since there being a bunch of asses tell use who did it
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 6:48:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Post the name of their shop and post these pics all over their social media pages WITH photos of text convo

Then be done with them

ADCO reached out to you
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 7:13:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Post the name of their shop and post these pics all over their social media pages WITH photos of text convo

Then be done with them

ADCO reached out to you
View Quote
I'm giving them another chance to make it right. They have read but not responded yet. Well not even right, but refund me. Apparently none of you know how to pin and weld a flash hider. Nice work tig, as it should look.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 7:29:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Thank you so much ?? I have it packed up ready to send out tomorrow.

Send them to
ADCO
6481 Monroe St.
Sylvania, OH

ATTN: Henry Bowman
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 7:46:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Out. Turned into a trash thread
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 8:00:52 PM EDT
[#36]
That's what I read on a few posts on here, but the links to the actual atf documents were dead
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 8:18:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
That's what I read on a few posts on here, but the links to the actual atf documents were dead
View Quote
Print them out before you go back to the shop for the refund.

If they balk about the refund - LET THEM KNOW you are reporting their asses to the ATF and then do so...
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 8:19:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 8:20:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
You guys never cease to amaze.

First class all the way!
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 8:29:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Tig, I saw that article. However that does not identify the exact procedure if you want to use the hack technique of directly welding the device to the barrel. I had read 4 short welds around the barrel or at least half the circumference, but cannot find where the atf says that.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 8:40:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 8:48:44 PM EDT
[#42]
No refunds for that crap?  I'd burn their reputation and get my refund in entertainment! Warn other people.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 8:51:13 PM EDT
[#43]
There was a letter released years ago that detailed what is acceptable. I can find copies of the text, but I haven't been able to find the actual letter. Wondering if the ruling/letter has been revoked or superseded

Update: Apparently i should refresh my page more as Tig beat me to it

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 8:55:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Thanks a lot guys. I don't engage much on the site besides the EE, but it's a great group of people on here. I appreciate all the advice and help, and reasurruance that this was a total hack job lol.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 8:58:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Out. Turned into a trash and bash thread.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 9:13:08 PM EDT
[#46]
It's not very nice.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 9:17:48 PM EDT
[#47]
I hate to kick a dead dog but damn that's horrific
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 9:40:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
One of the response letters I read said no tack welds need full penetrating welds.
Last sentence before the thank you part at the end of this letter. https://johnpierceesq.com/avoiding-aow-status-with-a-permanently-attached-muzzle-device-on-a-pistol-and-a-vertical-foregrip/

What is that they say about beauty?
View Quote
Thanks, exactly what they did to mine. Cold dirty ass tackwelds. I think theyll break if I sneeze at them.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 10:29:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Here’s the most recent one John Thomas did for me.

Link Posted: 1/10/2020 10:34:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Here’s the most recent one John Thomas did for me.

https://i.imgur.com/lTqEk3i.jpg
View Quote
Flawless
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top