Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/27/2021 5:04:26 PM EDT
I chose them over Aero which are on sale at Brownells for $85.99... The TM lowers are on sale for $59.00.

I feel like you seldom ever hear about Tactical Machining, but I have an impression that they're in between Aero and Anderson as far as quality? Maybe I'm off, but for the price I have my fingers crossed.

What are your experiences with them?
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:24:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an LR-308 lower from them that I got many years ago.  The only complaint is that the black anodizing seems soft and scratches very easily.  Other than that, no complaints.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 8:57:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have an LR-308 lower from them that I got many years ago.  The only complaint is that the black anodizing seems soft and scratches very easily.  Other than that, no complaints.
View Quote

Hmm, it doesn't state on their website whether their lowers are type 3 hard coat anodized or something lesser... I might have to send them an email about that.

This is all I could find in the description. > "The AR-15 Lower receiver is hard coat anodized black for a lasting and rich black finish."
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 1:46:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Just received an email from Tactical Machining saying that their lowers are indeed type 3 hard coat anodized... So that's a relief.

I'm surprised that not many have used these, but I guess Anderson really has a strangle hold on the stripped lower market.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 5:22:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I've not bought any of TM's stripped lowers (should have when they were $39 two years ago).  But, I did buy two 80% lowers about 4 years ago.  Their unfinished lowers had very favorable ratings then.  Mine were supposed to be blems, but they looked beautiful, and everything fit perfectly on the areas they had machined (no problems with parts, or alignment with an upper).  They machined fine as well.  I wouldn't expect you to have any problems.

I don't think TM has been selling finished lowers as long as Anderson.  They were mostly known for their unfinished receivers.  I would be interested if you get the older Cerro forging, or the newer one everyone is starting to use now.  I would still buy their 80% lowers if they hadn't switched to the newer forging (you can't make retro A1 lowers out of them).
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 5:48:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Just received an email from Tactical Machining saying that their lowers are indeed type 3 hard coat anodized... So that's a relief.

I'm surprised that not many have used these, but I guess Anderson really has a strangle hold on the stripped lower market.
View Quote

There is a crowd of makers in that $50 - $70 range; Anderson, Matrix, 17 Designs, Durkin, etc.  Now add Tactical Machining.  I had not heard of them until now.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 3:05:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't know about their stripped ar lowers because I don't have one. What I can tell you is about 6 or 7 years ago I purchased one of their stripped 10/22 receivers on a smoking sale. That receiver has been excellent and the finish is very nice. I've made 3 trips to Wyoming with that one. I'd like to purchase a couple more but they are always out of stock.

I've had guys who use them tell me their ar receivers are very good.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 11:32:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I chose them over Aero which are on sale at Brownells for $85.99... The TM lowers are on sale for $59.00.

I feel like you seldom ever hear about Tactical Machining, but I have an impression that they're in between Aero and Anderson as far as quality? Maybe I'm off, but for the price I have my fingers crossed.

View Quote

$69.95 every day @ Aim Surplus
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 11:50:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've not bought any of TM's stripped lowers (should have when they were $39 two years ago).  But, I did buy two 80% lowers about 4 years ago.  Their unfinished lowers had very favorable ratings then.  Mine were supposed to be blems, but they looked beautiful, and everything fit perfectly on the areas they had machined (no problems with parts, or alignment with an upper).  They machined fine as well.  I wouldn't expect you to have any problems.

I don't think TM has been selling finished lowers as long as Anderson.  They were mostly known for their unfinished receivers.  I would be interested if you get the older Cerro forging, or the newer one everyone is starting to use now.  I would still buy their 80% lowers if they hadn't switched to the newer forging (you can't make retro A1 lowers out of them).
View Quote

I'll report back here to let you know about the forge mark, maybe with some pictures after I pick them up. I have no idea if they've even shipped out to my dealer yet.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 11:58:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't know about their stripped ar lowers because I don't have one. What I can tell you is about 6 or 7 years ago I purchased one of their stripped 10/22 receivers on a smoking sale. That receiver has been excellent and the finish is very nice. I've made 3 trips to Wyoming with that one. I'd like to purchase a couple more but they are always out of stock.

I've had guys who use them tell me their ar receivers are very good.
View Quote

Good to hear! It seems like I've been checking Tactical Machining's site on and off for about 2 years and they're always out of stock until finally just last week. So I knew I had to jump on these even though I would have preferred the "5.56" marked lowers over the "multi cal" marked lowers.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 12:01:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, what the heck Brownells??? If I had know about Aim's deal I might have gone with Aero.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 12:14:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

There is a crowd of makers in that $50 - $70 range; Anderson, Matrix, 17 Designs, Durkin, etc.  Now add Tactical Machining.  I had not heard of them until now.
View Quote

I've known about Tactical Machining for quite a few years, but I've never really heard of Matrix, 17 Designs or Durkin.

I've always avoided Anderson for myself, but I haven't seen any real problems with them assembling them for others. Getting these Tactical Machining lowers is the first time I've stepped outside of my Colt and Aero Precision padded comfort zone.

Actually, I had a 2003 Bushmaster lower once that got sold off a long time ago... I kinda wish I still had it since it was from my first rifle.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 12:59:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, what the heck Brownells???
View Quote

Brownells is never the place I go for a good deal.  They are always over-priced, but sometimes they have stuff that can't be found anywhere else.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 3:10:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought a couple of lower from them 5 or 6 years ago. Fit and finish is great. Tried a couple of time to order some lower but they were never in stock.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 6:15:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Picked up my Tactical Machining lowers today...

Link Posted: 12/9/2021 6:19:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, that's a no from me...yikes.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 6:29:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Also, the holes for the trigger guard roll pins are drilled a bit high on all three, I'm not sure how much of an issue that will be until I go to assemble these.

Definitely not up to Aero Precision quality from what I'm seeing so far... I'll probably try picking at that rock like substance a bit more to see if I can knock it out, but I might have to contact Tactical Machining about that one.

Other than that I can live with these lowers, but I'm not super thrilled with them... Hopefully I don't run into any issues during assembly.

Gen 2 PMAGS and OKAY Industries mags fit and drop free easily and all other holes in the lowers are free and clear of any debris.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 6:36:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the detailed pics.

Gives me a better perspective on inspecting lowers.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 8:10:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Alright! I got the hardened material out of the hole once I switched to my metal picks. The stuff was pretty caked in there and I think they tried clearing it out which might have lead to the dinged up finish around the hole.

Why they'd try to cover it up with a Sharpie and send it out the door in an unusable condition with a bunch a crap still left down in the hole I have no idea?

This is why I always make sure to check all the holes on any receiver as soon as I get a chance to look. I might hit it with some aluminum black before I assemble it, depends on my mood at the time.

What the holes look like in the other 2 for reference.

Link Posted: 12/9/2021 8:22:16 PM EDT
[#19]
My TM lower was great but I got it 10 years ago.
FWIW I got 2 LMT defender lowers and both had metal shavings clogging the front takedown pin spring hole.
I had to use 1/16" drill bit by hand to clean it out.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 10:03:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My TM lower was great but I got it 10 years ago.
FWIW I got 2 LMT defender lowers and both had metal shavings clogging the front takedown pin spring hole.
I had to use 1/16" drill bit by hand to clean it out.
View Quote

It's not super unusual. A couple of times with Aero lowers I've found a bunch of very tiny round magnetic balls in the hole for the front pivot pin detent spring.

And sometimes you hear of pistol grip screw threads that are too tight for the screw to thread in so the threads need to be chased with a tap.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 12:55:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 10:09:43 AM EDT
[#22]

Those are the late Cerro Forgings.  Not very fond of those.  Not fond of the serrations on the mag well front either.  Otherwise, they look pretty nice, and should build fine.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:37:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
And I love their magwell broach......one of the few companies that have an inline horizontal hydraulic broach....incredibly consistent.
View Quote

That's an area I can't complain about on these lowers, the magwells are perfect and they have a nice bevel to them.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:41:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Those are the late Cerro Forgings.  Not very fond of those.  Not fond of the serrations on the mag well front either.  Otherwise, they look pretty nice, and should build fine.
View Quote

I have my fingers crossed that hey do. I'll need to thread the hole for the pistol grip screw all the way through on the one lower, but other than that I don't expect to run into any issues.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 2:15:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

In the LAST panic..think back to obama......................TM was making lowers for 200 plus companies on variance.....they are an established company with exceptionally skilled people, a CMM department that makes me drool everytime I am there and an owner with pockets deep enough to survive when things go slow after a panic.....I have used TM lowers for years....never an issue and a lot of y'all have too and didn't know it...LOL
And I love their magwell broach......one of the few companies that have an inline horizontal hydraulic broach....incrediably consistent.
View Quote

I have been looking at their website for the last few years. It gives you the impression they are out of business.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 4:10:48 AM EDT
[#26]
I've bought TM 80% lowers and built 3 pistols before the CA laws went into effect regarding building AR pistols. I registered them as required. TM's quality was very good then.

Were the receivers blems you bought?
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 12:15:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Were the receivers blems you bought?
View Quote

Not to my knowledge, but they are marked down from $99 to $59 even still, which is what they charge for blem lowers which are listed as out of stock. I assumed that the $59 price on these was a before Christmas special or something, but maybe not? Here's the link to what I bought specifically. > Link.

By the way, I also noticed that there was some rough aluminum flashing inside the hole cutout for where the trigger goes through. So I test fit a trigger in all three of these lowers and it did cause binding trying to get the trigger in the proper position to get the trigger pin through. It worked in and the metal flashing didn't prevent trigger installation, but they definitely missed that area in the deburring prosses.

I should probably take a file to the area and clean up the flashing, kinda ridiculous that it's there in the first place though.

I'd consider them blems if I didn't know that they were sold as not blems. And of course the one with the plugged buffer retainer hole was worse than a blem because you couldn't even install the parts until the obstruction was removed.

I will say that the Anderson lowers I've had the chance to look over and assemble were better, which is very surprising to me.
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 6:06:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Also, the holes for the trigger guard roll pins are drilled a bit high on all three, I'm not sure how much of an issue that will be until I go to assemble these.
View Quote

I had that problem with a couple of their lowers.  

They told me "That's the way it's going to be.  They're all like that.  It's mostly an optical illusion.  If you send them back we don't have anything different to send you".

I used trigger guard plates that attached with little screws in lieu of roll pins to avoid stressing the holes.
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 6:17:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I have been looking at their website for the last few years. It gives you the impression they are out of business.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the LAST panic..think back to obama......................TM was making lowers for 200 plus companies on variance.....they are an established company with exceptionally skilled people, a CMM department that makes me drool everytime I am there and an owner with pockets deep enough to survive when things go slow after a panic.....I have used TM lowers for years....never an issue and a lot of y'all have too and didn't know it...LOL
And I love their magwell broach......one of the few companies that have an inline horizontal hydraulic broach....incrediably consistent.

They are under new management from what I've read on Reddit. The guy formerly in charge is now running Reardon Manufacturing.
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 6:24:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Many years ago I bought 10 "80%" unfinished lowers from them on the cheap.

Most were in "spec" and finished quite well on the mill.

I seen thier finished lowers and not impressed.

Good luck OP.
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 7:52:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

They told me "That's the way it's going to be.  They're all like that.  It's mostly an optical illusion.  If you send them back we don't have anything different to send you".

I used trigger guard plates that attached with little screws in lieu of roll pins to avoid stressing the holes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a few of those Dead On Arms trigger guards with all detents installed on other lowers that I might trade out to go on these wonky TM lowers. I haven't gotten around to assembling any of the three yet due to my work bench being out in the unheated garage with the frozen 7 degree temps. I have to do most of my AR projects in the Spring and Summer when I can barely find the time to do it.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top