Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/26/2005 4:13:01 PM EDT
okay i've been thinking about getting either an M4gery kit or an AK74 kit...the AK would be done a lot faster than the M4 and would be cheaper...if i were to get the AK, it'd delay my AR and make my Mega lower sit on my dresser for a while but i'd have a fully built AK74...i'll post links to exactly what im deciding between and start a poll...thanks for your input! also im thinking about an M1 Garand now...link below
AK74 linkie - AK74
M4 link - AR15
Garand link - Garand
AK47 link - AK47
Link Posted: 2/26/2005 4:23:29 PM EDT
[#1]
GET BOTH, NOW!!

Link Posted: 2/26/2005 4:48:53 PM EDT
[#2]
HA! i wish it were that simple...dont have the money for even 1 yet...
Link Posted: 2/26/2005 4:51:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Get the AR now.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2005 5:13:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Seriously though, you will end up with both eventually, so get which ever one is more likely to be scarce later on down the road.

Prolly, either way you'll be happy.
Link Posted: 2/26/2005 5:23:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Get the one with the chrome-lined barrel.
Link Posted: 2/26/2005 6:50:42 PM EDT
[#6]
AR
Link Posted: 2/27/2005 11:00:25 AM EDT
[#7]
alright you've convinced me...im gonna do the AR first...14.5" + 2" Phantom FH M4 from Model 1 Sales. only $485 away!
ETA: my next AR will definatly be 20"...most likely an SP1...
Link Posted: 2/27/2005 3:40:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I built an M1S CAR on a Stag lower a couple of weeks ago.  It went great.  Good luck and IMHO a good choice.

Jim
Link Posted: 2/27/2005 3:48:57 PM EDT
[#9]
NO! At least buy the AK kit now, you see these are imported and the suply is allready running out on most AK kits, so if you don't buy the kit now you may not be able to. Those AK kits are going UP in value, so worst case senario, you don't build it, you can sell your kit for who know how much more than you payed for it. The AK kit is an investment.
Link Posted: 2/27/2005 5:23:57 PM EDT
[#10]
hmm...good point...i dont know though...i'll decide when the time comes...im still leaning towards the M4...and also, if another *whipsers* AW ban comes around, AR kits might become harder and harder to find...of course the same goes for AK kits but still...
Link Posted: 2/27/2005 5:30:46 PM EDT
[#11]
OH god...model 1 sales.......the horror...go with the AK74 first and for the love of all that is decent pass on Model 1 and M&A and go with del-ton
Link Posted: 2/27/2005 5:36:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/27/2005 6:21:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
OH god...model 1 sales.......the horror...go with the AK74 first and for the love of all that is decent pass on Model 1 and M&A and go with del-ton

del-ton doesnt have the 14.5" + Phantom FH...unless by adding the Phantom makes it 14.5" + the 2 inch FH...
Link Posted: 2/27/2005 6:46:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

del-ton doesnt have the 14.5" + Phantom FH...unless by adding th Phantom makes it 14.5" + the 2 inch FH...

OH god...the horror..go with JT Distributing or Bushmaster
Link Posted: 2/27/2005 7:07:27 PM EDT
[#15]
The AR is the better weapon and you will like it more.
Link Posted: 2/27/2005 8:29:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
hmm...good point...i dont know though...i'll decide when the time comes...im still leaning towards the M4...and also, if another *whipsers* AW ban comes around, AR kits might become harder and harder to find...of course the same goes for AK kits but still...

AK kits are far more likely to get baned from import! Even for the last ten years of commy rule, we could always buy AR "pre-ban" kits. So my recomendation is stock up on receivers NOW, and that's an order recruit!
Personally, I am stockpileing 80% receivers and building as fast as I can.
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 2:41:43 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

del-ton doesnt have the 14.5" + Phantom FH...unless by adding th Phantom makes it 14.5" + the 2 inch FH...

JT doesnt have the 14.5" + Phantom either and Bushmaster is WAAAAY too expensive...it's either M1S or Del-Ton...and im leaning towards M1S...what's so wrong with them anyway?
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 3:23:17 AM EDT
[#18]
M4
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 6:19:57 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

JT doesnt have the 14.5" + Phantom either and Bushmaster is WAAAAY too expensive...it's either M1S or Del-Ton...and im leaning towards M1S...what's so wrong with them anyway?

Let me assure you that JTD does have what you are looking for.  Get a catalog from them it has four times more stuff than their website, anything you can dream up they can do.  I would give them a call and get a quote.

But you can go with Model 1, it's not my money being flushed down the toilet.

Link Posted: 2/28/2005 10:46:43 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let me assure you that JTD does have what you are looking for.  Get a catalog from them it has four times more stuff than their website, anything you can dream up they can do.  I would give them a call and get a quote.

But you can go with Model 1, it's not my money being flushed down the toilet.

ok then can you please explain to me exactly what it's called...? cause i dont see it...closest thing i see in the catalog (the PDF one on the site) is the 14.5" one but that's a SBR and i dont want to do that...i know i could get that and weld a Phantom FH on the sucker but the kit alone is $499 and the FH would be another $20-35 plus the welding...
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 11:00:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Ok ok, if you are going cheap and don't want to invest time and energy into research then by all means go with Model 1 or M&A
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 11:47:20 AM EDT
[#22]
well does JT have the 14.5" + welded 2" FH for AT MOST $495?
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 2:53:14 PM EDT
[#23]
M1's M4 kit as posted looks very nice for the price......

May i ask what's wrong with M1S or their products?
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 3:26:52 PM EDT
[#24]
no clue...some person said the bolts are bad...im still thinking about buying one from there though...
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 3:37:48 PM EDT
[#25]
bolts? who cares, its just a bolt..... if thats the problem, then we can always find new bolts..... wish i had a person who actually knows exactly why they are 'bad'
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 4:37:19 PM EDT
[#26]

Correct

They have in the last 6 months or so had a LARGE quantity of buyers leaving comments on bolts breaking - at the cam pin hole point on both sides - around 1500 rounds.

I know this because I have one that did it lol

I replaced it with a stripped RRA one which I heard about here - at the time selling for $25.00

Now they get $35.00 for them, but still a good deal on a great bolt - the difference in quality can be seen from the one from Model1sales.

Also they really didn't care it broke, they wanted it sent back with the kit - which isn't gonna happen - I saw other posts on how they claim they don't have certified mail that was delivered to them

Basically if you want a decent kit - go with J&T Dist - They are great to deal with, and they have great kits.

G'luck

- quote from ar101
im STILL thinking about getting an M1S kit though...
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 4:56:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Hm, if i get a M1S kit, be sure to get a RR bolt from the local RR dealer.... CHECK.

thanks for the heads up, i can sell an intact bolt. (won't sell it on here or EE, don't worry about it, i'll likely end up selling it to a local FFL)
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 8:38:32 PM EDT
[#28]
M1S=

bolts brake at about 1000-1500 rnds.

charging handle to short, breaks from carier key hitting it when it goes into battery.

chambers to tight (noone knows why), causes extraction broblems & stuck cases.

lower parts kit sucks, some detents don't even fit in mil-spec holes, plus they normaly forget something (they forgot my disconecter on my very first build, I didn't know better and tried to shoot it, it would fire full-auto for 2 or 3 shots then jam)

the carrier key is normaly loose (mine was on my first build)

and lets not forget thier trade mark, signature, canted front sight base. I've bought four barrels from them and two of them had HORRIBLY canted front sight bases. I have a CAR & 20"A2, when they were "post-ban" the 20"s sight was crooked, to the point where I couldn't use my "see-thru" scope mount B/C the rear sight was up against the side of the carry handle. After I made them into "no-bans" with model "1" barrels, my CAR is so crooked that the rear sight is knob is turned TIGHT, with the sight tight up against the right side of carry handle. It zeros, so I decided to keep it instead of fidle-fucking around with M1S. Someday when I have time I will fix it myself.

Right now I am building a couple ARs, I am going to pay a little extra and get the LPK and B/BC/CH from Bushmaster. It's only like $30 more.
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 8:40:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Build the AR in 7.62. Then you won't want and AK.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 2:39:17 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
M1S=

bolts brake at about 1000-1500 rnds.

charging handle to short, breaks from carier key hitting it when it goes into battery.

chambers to tight (noone knows why), causes extraction broblems & stuck cases.

lower parts kit sucks, some detents don't even fit in mil-spec holes, plus they normaly forget something (they forgot my disconecter on my very first build, I didn't know better and tried to shoot it, it would fire full-auto for 2 or 3 shots then jam)

the carrier key is normaly loose (mine was on my first build)

and lets not forget thier trade mark, signature, canted front sight base. I've bought four barrels from them and two of them had HORRIBLY canted front sight bases. I have a CAR & 20"A2, when they were "post-ban" the 20"s sight was crooked, to the point where I couldn't use my "see-thru" scope mount B/C the rear sight was up against the side of the carry handle. After I made them into "no-bans" with model "1" barrels, my CAR is so crooked that the rear sight is knob is turned TIGHT, with the sight tight up against the right side of carry handle. It zeros, so I decided to keep it instead of fidle-fucking around with M1S. Someday when I have time I will fix it myself.

Right now I am building a couple ARs, I am going to pay a little extra and get the LPK and B/BC/CH from Bushmaster. It's only like $30 more.

did this just happen on yours or has there been a lot of kits like this? if you could tell me where to get a 14.5" M4 with a welded 2" Phantom flashider for around the same price as M1S but better quality, i'll get that instead....
ETA: would getting an M1S kit with a chrome bolt carrier make it any better...?
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 5:25:08 PM EDT
[#31]
which one is better...J&T or Del-Ton? quality-wise...
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 5:28:03 PM EDT
[#32]
LMT has 14.5" and 16" uppers for $485... wonder what THOSE are like?
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 5:39:35 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

nevermind
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 5:46:14 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

nevermind

Oh, sorry.. i didnt mean to override your statement or steal the thread... I haven't tried J&T or Del-Ton.... I haven't bought any and no dealers around here carry them..

Sorry about that man, didnt mean to hijack!
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 10:58:24 AM EDT
[#35]
you werent hijacking...i asked what LMT's site was but then i found out what it stood for...(stupid me) and found the site ...it's between DelTon, J&T, and M1S now...im still not sure...which one of the three is better quality?
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 11:13:53 AM EDT
[#36]
I'd get a AR first, the hell with the Commie stuff!
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 11:37:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Get both, ASAP

Then replace all M1 internals with bushy or RRA
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 3:18:47 PM EDT
[#38]
personally, im working on a bushmaster m4a3.... I've seen them as cheap as $850...

trying to get rid of my 95% Colt Match Target HBAR so i can get a bushy... sad isnt it? lol.. 1/4 MOA, but I like the M4 look as opposed to the M16A2...

Also, i don't think LMT's come with B/BC/CH
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 2:38:31 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Get both, ASAP

Then replace all M1 internals with bushy or RRA

wish it were that simple
i've decided im gonna do the M4 first and get it from either J&T or Del-Ton....only two decisions left are del-ton or J&T and, if i get del-ton, black or green furnature?
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 11:46:09 AM EDT
[#40]
ok im REALLY thinking about getting an M1 Garand first...only $315...gonna edit the poll...
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 11:59:30 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
ok im REALLY thinking about getting an M1 Garand first...only $315...gonna edit the poll...

Where did you find a garand for $315?
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 12:30:47 PM EDT
[#42]
CMP...Greek issue rack grade Springfield. $295+20.95 shipping. read the requierments for buying before ordering...
Garand
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 4:34:37 PM EDT
[#43]
okay my PS2 is posted on the EE! take a look if you're interested! lot of games with it. and it's for a good cause! (a new gun!) DO IT FOR THE CHILDREN! (meaning me )
PS2
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 4:50:32 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
CMP...Greek issue rack grade Springfield. $295+20.95 shipping. read the requierments for buying before ordering...
Garand

CMP? Damn, im not a member of any club

Damn again, I don't have proof of any marksmanship. Maybe i should send them in a 600 meter target with a bunch of holes in the 10? Lol.
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 5:36:05 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Garand

Damn again, I don't have proof of any marksmanship. Maybe i should send them in a 600 meter target with a bunch of holes in the 10? Lol.

lol...that might work

i think i might have to go with the M1 Garand...they'll be around a lot less time than the AR or AK...plus it's an F'IN GARAND! lol
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 5:45:16 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Garand

lol...that might work

i think i might have to go with the M1 Garand...they'll be around a lot less time than the AR or AK...plus it's an F'IN GARAND! lol

I'm surprised soldiers liked the garand so well..... the nice PIIIIING!!!!!!!! after the last round let the enemy know you were out of ammo!
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 6:13:52 PM EDT
[#47]
SHUT UP AND LISTEN TO ME.

TOMORROW THEY WILL STILL BE MAKING M4S.

THEY DON'T MAKE GARANDS ANY MORE!

....ANY MORE!!!
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 6:34:04 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
SHUT UP AND LISTEN TO ME.

TOMORROW THEY WILL STILL BE MAKING M4S.

THEY DON'T MAKE GARANDS ANY MORE!

....ANY MORE!!!

i know...that's what i said...

P.S. BUY MY PS2! SAVE AN M1 GARAND TODAY!
PS2! BUY IT! SAVE A GARAND!
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 8:18:46 AM EDT
[#49]
I voted the AK74

But I am confounded by the pricing you estimate.

I am a firm believer that you get (quality-wise) what you pay for, and those investment amounts do not get you much in most cases

The AK might be the exception though. That version is a good one, and the investment about right

So..............go counter-culture and do the AK 74
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 8:33:36 AM EDT
[#50]
the Garand might be good or bad condition...it'll still be shootable, just have some dings in the wood or stuff like that. the AK would be in good condition...and the AR would be good condition and quality...BUT STILL! IT'S A WWII M1 GARAND!!
PS2! BUY IT! SAVE A GARAND!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top