Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 9
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 12:24:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hokie,
Yes, I suspect the circle will do a great job of centering the target for the eye, and will be screaming fast on <10 ys targets where the circle is under 10" on the target, so I'm definately not suggesting removing it. It's the intermediate ranges that concern me (especially if a no-shoot is inches away), and those intermediate ranges (15yd - 200yd) are where I would be doing a majority of the shooting...
I'm not suggesting they change the existing reticle... Too many people would want the precision currently offered or will be dialing in, but I think a 1/2-2/3 mil dot would REALLY open the 3-gun and other "practical" market for SWFA. IMO, it would be a simple change that could add to their existing line-up. [Do it to 6x and try to keep up w/ demand!] :)

-rvb

Trying to combine everything into the perfect 1-4 optic has been a wild goose chase for a long long time.  Everyone wants an affordable FFP 1-6X daylight illuminated precision optic for 0-600 yards with BDC, endless battery life, self adjusting turrets calibrated to the reticle, and an audible sexy female voice with a slight spanish accent to submissively say your name before indicating the target's range....accurate to the 1/100th inch.

But...that said, I totally agree with you, lol....

Hokie, after a year or whatever of reading your reviews, and completely changing my thoughts on reticle choices for this type of scope, I ordered one this morning.  I appreciate all the work you did in your comparisons.    I'd better like it
Link Posted: 10/7/2011 7:36:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Trying to combine everything into the perfect 1-4 optic has been a wild goose chase for a long long time.  

yup, and I just think with this one little nit ... a centered ~2moa dot, they'd have cought that goose...

-rvb
Link Posted: 10/7/2011 7:57:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd like to see the scope evolve as well.  It's on the right path, hopefully SWFA delivers!
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 8:18:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'd like to see the scope evolve as well.  It's on the right path, hopefully SWFA delivers!

Got my scope.   I'm very impressed with it so far.   It's everything you said it was.   I'm particularly impressed with the clarity of the glass in comparison to my Zeiss optics.   Its shitty weather here today or I'd be out shooting it.  Tomorrow!
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 8:56:05 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
SS HD 1X illuminated
<a href="http://img713.imageshack.us/i/sshd1xilluminated.jpg/" target="_blank">http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/7228/sshd1xilluminated.jpg</a>

Frankly, these photos, and a couple similar to them out on the web, are causing my hesitation in this scope. what is the point of aim?
People are reporting that the crosshairs are visible at 1x, but these photos sure don't show that. Now is it a product of the photography and the exposure? Is it a product of the reticle against a busy background in bright/reflective, low-contrast lighting conditions? The crosshair seems obvious in photos when held against a clear sky or snow, but not here.
If the 1st picture was a match environment where I had multiple targets inside the fenceline and a couple out past it at 50-150 yds, it appears you'd be screwed unless you added magnification. The purpose of 1x is defeated if it forces me into shooting 2x+ to have an aiming point, and unless I'm going past 200 I shouldn't have a need to change magnification on the fly. Just my 2c.

-rvb
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 9:58:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Photos never do the real thing justice.  That said, we vetted this issue a few pages back (somewhere.) It's definitely evident that regardless of exactly how effective the crosshairs may or may not be to the shooter, it won't take the place of a comparable optic that deliver a daylight lit aiming point. Pros and cons to everything. Needs, venues, etc.  There are times where the crosshairs are far preferred.  

The SS is, after much trial and error, and in my own opinion, an incredible general purpose low power variable.  The glass alone is impressive as is the reticle / turret combo.  As much as I'd like to say the reticle needs improvement - it really doesn't, depending on what you intend to use it for.

I'd like to see the donut reduced in size myself, either to the outer most edges of crosshairs, or to the 10 mil mark.  All said and done, for what I use this scope for - I like the large donut for circling targets inside of 25 yards.  Outside of that, I like the crosshairs.  If I were competing in anything that timed my alignment soley inside of 100 yards, I'd probably want a differrent optic for the reasons you mentioned.  There is a range between 15/25 yards and 75/100 yards where an aiming point certainly wouldn't hurt.  But....the Accupoint doesn't have manual illumination or a reticle that's efficient past point blank ranges, the S&B costs a LOT more and is battery dependent to be of real use, etc...it goes on.  

If you have certain requirements - they may or may not be found behind the ocular of a SS.  You bring up a great observation though, and it's one that everyone should be made aware of.  It'd be nice to see the SS' donut evolve a little.  The T reticle is also a nice option.

I've been curious to check out the Leupold VXR and the new Meopta too....hard to keep up with the new stuff!

Link Posted: 10/10/2011 1:57:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Hi Hokie,
I looked back through, and I didn't see exactly what I was talking about discussed. And maybe that's my fault for not being clear. Again, I'm not advocating a "red dot" reticle (which I did see discussed, ie something super bright they cannot do). My concern is that in the conditions in those pictures I won't be able to see ANYTHING. I don't see any crosshairs in those pictures, and I purposely picked one w/ and one w/o illumination. I'm hoping those who took the pictures might chime in as to whether it's a photographic overexposure or a real drawback w/ the scope.

As for the dot, again I'm not asking for a big change. Just a ~2moa dot centered on the crosshair using the exact same etching and illumination as the existing reticle. Something that would allow me to not have to look FOR the reticle. This would allow me to put the dot on target anywhere from 50-250 and know the round will hit inside that dot, w/ some hold-over for <50. Then I'd have the option to zoom in and use the mil crosshair for longer and/or tighter shots as necessary (and if I don't dial rather use the mils as a drop reticle, the dot wouldn't be in the way). Looking for a sight picture is a time killer.

IMO, the TR-24, which in my great debate is holding a slight lead, is certainly more than a point blank scope. The drawback is past ~350 it would require dialing. Again, zero to 200, know the holds (eg tip at the top of a 12" plate at 300), and rock and roll. XTR is -almost- there except it uses the graduated yardarge drop instead of mils or moa, and it's designed around a 100yd zero. I'd much rather zero to 200....

It's such a tough decision because they all are great, but come up a hair short somewhere (in what *I* want, anyway). I've figured what I really want is a 1-4x TA-11 w/ the horseshoe reticle. :) I like the S&B and especially the Z6i, but my bank account doesn't.....

-rvb
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 2:37:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I agree on most accounts. The photos don't really do the reticle justice, which likely accounts for some of the ambiguity you're citing. Good points though. On the TR24, I guess some don't mind the triangle past a couple hundred yards, but it drives me nuts.
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 2:55:43 PM EDT
[#9]

FYI, I had a TR24 and used it at 3gun (ranges from point-blank to 480y), carbine matches (<35y), and lowlight carbine matches (<35y) for a short time.  I gladly run the SS at those same matches now instead of the TR24 which got sold.  The crosshairs are definitely visible, as those pictures don't do the reticule justice at all.

The TR24 triangle is nice to pick up quickly, but past 300y I wasn't comfortable with it enough.  A friend of mine still runs one and has to dial for the longer-range stages, where I much prefer to hold-off.
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 10:07:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
FYI, I had a TR24 and used it at 3gun (ranges from point-blank to 480y), carbine matches (<35y), and lowlight carbine matches (<35y) for a short time.  I gladly run the SS at those same matches now instead of the TR24 which got sold.  The crosshairs are definitely visible, as those pictures don't do the reticule justice at all.

The TR24 triangle is nice to pick up quickly, but past 300y I wasn't comfortable with it enough.  A friend of mine still runs one and has to dial for the longer-range stages, where I much prefer to hold-off.

Did you go with the donut or T reticle?
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 5:35:21 AM EDT
[#11]
buckjay, I went with donut on my first one.  Then got a second SS for my other rifle and tried the T-reticule (the SWFA package deal).  Ended up trading it in order to get the donut for the second scope also.

If I was mainly hunting or shooting longer-range stuff, I think the T-reticule would be a good choice.  For my uses, I like the donut better.
Link Posted: 10/12/2011 12:50:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Thanks for the information. I suspected the images were a photographic over exposure. The only scope I am considering that I have actually had a change to look through is the burris xtr. selection in shops in my neck of the woods is very scarce at shops to be able to put an eye on them. So long as those photos are not representative of what you see, I could still well consider this scope w/o a center dot.... but a center dot might get me to whip out the CC (ya hear, swfa!) ;) :D

I don't like the idea of dialing on the clock, either. only thing I want to manipulate on the gun is the trigger....

-rvb
Link Posted: 10/12/2011 5:04:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I went with the donut and love it.   I took it out both Sunday and Monday.  Sunday I got it dialed in, and Monday I shot it all the way out to 1000yrds on gongs.    I had a 15mph crosswind that made it fun, and I got some great practice with the mil-dot.    My hand loads were dead on at 50 and 2" high at 100.   I needed 10mil for the 1k, about 2mil for 500.   I was hitting consistently at 500 and 600 even with the wind, from the prone position.   Not so much at 1000 with 55gr fmjs.

I love this scope the donut at 1x is perfect for up close.    Flip it to 4x and I'm good for anything the 5.56 is capable for.
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 9:01:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Well, I pulled the trigger on Kit 3.  Way to good a deal to pass up on.  I had been looking at the Viper pst but from the sounds of it this optic has more of what Im looking for.  Thanks to Hokie for the review, as it helped me decide and sent me in the right direction.
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 9:50:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Well I got it in the mail yesterday.  One question for you guys with more experience as this is my first optic.  Once I get this thing mounted level and sighted in how would I return the turrets to zero (assuming I had to make a few adjustments on them to get it zeroed)?  Is there a way to do this?  I see that the turrets can be loosened with an allen wrench, will this allow me to move the turret to reflect zero without screwing up the adjustments I just made to make the optic POI=POA?

Thanks for the help
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 10:03:23 AM EDT
[#16]
I have the capped version and while I could certainly ascertain the answer here I'll let others chime in and give you a hands on explanation.

Meanwhile, here's a pic of my AR10 w/ the SS 1-4 HD:

Link Posted: 11/4/2011 11:02:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Well I got it in the mail yesterday.  One question for you guys with more experience as this is my first optic.  Once I get this thing mounted level and sighted in how would I return the turrets to zero (assuming I had to make a few adjustments on them to get it zeroed)?  Is there a way to do this?  I see that the turrets can be loosened with an allen wrench, will this allow me to move the turret to reflect zero without screwing up the adjustments I just made to make the optic POI=POA?

Thanks for the help

Yes, that's the way I understand it.  You could call or e-mail SWFA for a definitive answer.  With the capped version, zero scope/rifle, remove cap, pull up on turret, rotate turret to zero.  Push down on turret, replace cap.

So far, battery life has been my only concern.  Either the batteries that came with the scope were weak, or there is a constant drain on them.  I don't know which it is yet.
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 4:20:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the help

Yes, that's the way I understand it.  You could call or e-mail SWFA for a definitive answer.  With the capped version, zero scope/rifle, remove cap, pull up on turret, rotate turret to zero.  Push down on turret, replace cap.

So far, battery life has been my only concern.  Either the batteries that came with the scope were weak, or there is a constant drain on them.  I don't know which it is yet.

If anyone else can second that advice so I dont have to call SWFA that would be great.

Heres the rifle.

Link Posted: 11/4/2011 5:23:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, you can unscrew the turrets (just don't loose the tiny rubber grommet), and re-align them to read zero.  Its pretty easy, just get the correct size of allen wrench, and don't overdo it when you tighten them down.
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 7:06:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Hokie,

Have you compared this scope to the Leupold VX-R Patrol 1.25-4? If so, how did it stack up?

Thanks,
Accountant
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 1:08:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have the capped version and while I could certainly ascertain the answer here I'll let others chime in and give you a hands on explanation.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v734/Hokie1850/2011-11-03_19-36-52_570.jpg

Nice rifle. How is the balance of the rifle with the scope? Does the scope makes the rifle heavy? Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 5:27:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Hokie, you bastage!!!  I just got off the line with Skylar @ SWFA.
That makes two (2) SWFA SS 1-4s.  

I got the last KIT3 scope package and there are only four (4) KIT4s left.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2520975

Technically, this is a PSA!!!

{Thanks, Hokie.  You are an asset where ever you go.}
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 6:20:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v734/Hokie1850/2011-11-03_19-36-52_570.jpg

Nice rifle. How is the balance of the rifle with the scope? Does the scope makes the rifle heavy? Thanks.

Thanks, it's a perfect balance actually.  The AR10 is a "heavy" gun as it is.  By "heavy" I mean when loaded it weighs a pound or so more than the AR15. Not a big deal, really.  That said, a compact 16" 308 is a real nice platform under the SS. The way my SS sits over the AR10 puts the center of gravity right where it needs to be.  It's a pleasure to carry.  To that end I took the gun hunting the other day, and found the scope's clarity exceptional during the twilight hours of Maine's wooded venues.  These moments are when you really start appreciating the subtle differences in glass quality.  Actually spent a lot of time with the scope dialed up to 2X.  Gives a better FOV when sitting or scanning.  Of course, even a great scope doesn't excuse "this" shooter from missing an opportunity to drop a doe! I took this pic after I jumped her... Circled her real quick with the SS donut - crosshairs were "automatically" online to the point where I just had to pull the trigger.  I just hestitated at the last second and she bounded away.  Wasn't too keen on risking a shot to the back of her head!  Next time!

Link Posted: 11/10/2011 6:21:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Hokie, you bastage!!!  I just got off the line with Skylar @ SWFA.
That makes two (2) SWFA SS 1-4s.  

I got the last KIT3 scope package and there are only four (4) KIT4s left.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2520975

Technically, this is a PSA!!!

{Thanks, Hokie.  You are an asset where ever you go.}

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 10:04:16 PM EDT
[#25]
How does this compare with the Meopta ZD? CQB to 200 yards.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 3:44:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Oh boy...

Okay, for CQB ranges, the Meopta presents a simple, bright reticle that is daylight visible, and optimized for quick, direct shots.  Put the reticle over the target and pull the trigger.  The reticle is bright enough to pull the eye directly to it even in the brightest sun.

Looking for more precision, say at greater distances, then the SS comes into its own.  You have the mil-dot marks for holdover and for wind ot movement leads.  The Meopta requires you to guestimate the holdover, while the SS gives it to you directly.  Clear advantage.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 4:33:03 AM EDT
[#27]
I'd agree wholeheartedly with mousegunner on this.  It's been touched on a few times in this thread.  If a 1) <200 yard venue is all you're after and 2) you're okay with the limitations of a battery dependent reticle (comparatively) then there are other optics you should consider.  I wouldn't let the SS jump for your final 3 optic choices into your final 2.  The SS is certainly, IMHO, a true general purpose optic.  That said I also think it outperforms a lot of low power variables that cater to either side of the 1X and 4X.  

I've since pulled my SS off the AR10 and put back on the AR15, lol....just something about an accurized 16" AR15.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 2:42:31 PM EDT
[#28]
For the circle reticle on 1x would the circle appear the size of an Eotech reticle?
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 4:21:21 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh boy...

Okay, for CQB ranges, the Meopta presents a simple, bright reticle that is daylight visible, and optimized for quick, direct shots. Put the reticle over the target and pull the trigger. The reticle is bright enough to pull the eye directly to it even in the brightest sun.

Looking for more precision, say at greater distances, then the SS comes into its own. You have the mil-dot marks for holdover and for wind ot movement leads. The Meopta requires you to guestimate the holdover, while the SS gives it to you directly. Clear advantage.

Not correct. The new Meopta 1x4 ZD model has a BDC for 5.56. See CS Tactical's review here: http://www.cstactical.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=329:meopta-zd-1-4x22mm-scope-review&Itemid=447&tmpl=component&print=1

Coupled with true daylight visible illumination and a true CQB (dot) reticle (the reticle is still visible if the battery dies), the Meopta is superior (as well as more rugged) for CQB to medium range applications.

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:22:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Damn it, I can not decide which one to go with.
The Meopta ZD, or the SWFA 1-4.
I googled the hell out of both and I keep flip flopping back and forth.
This is going to be used for a duty/SWAT rifle.  I work nights and a majority of the warrants that we serve are in no light or low light.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:30:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
For the circle reticle on 1x would the circle appear the size of an Eotech reticle?

The EoTech is 65 MOA at 1x, the SS is approximately 100 MOA.  For room distances, the SS and ghosted crosshairs are incredible.  That said, comparatively I think a daylight visible dot would be the solid choice between 25-100+/- yards.  Past that, we could all go back and forth for hours.  Either one with work for you, but a non-specific 0.1 mil/mil reticle/tuuret combo is slick. Sounds like you won't need that though.  

Couldn't compare the glass quality, but I'm sure others could.

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:39:06 PM EDT
[#32]
How does the inside cross look on 1x in no/ low light cab distances?
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:48:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Sexy, very EoTech-ish. Just remember a 1-4 is truly general purpose. A good RDS and detachable magnifier may be a great option too.  Especially with the lion's share of your job serving warrants.  You're not playing 3-Gun, defending your property line, or going on long hikes for days at a time.  Stay safe out there.

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 7:08:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks for the replies,  I guess I'm going to have to flip a coin.

It would be nice if someone with some time on the Meopta ZD and the SWFA could chime in.
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 4:42:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
This is going to be used for a duty/SWAT rifle.  I work nights and a majority of the warrants that we serve are in no light or low light.

I own the SWFA 1-4 and an Aimpoint T-1. For what your going to be using the optic for, I recommend the T-1. The SWFA would work no doubt, but I think a RDS is the better option.
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 11:53:40 AM EDT
[#36]
I've got 2 rifles with the Aimpoint M4s, and 3 rifles with the TR24 triangle.  I prefer the 1-4 type of optic.  I really like the TR24 and for what I use it for cqb to 100 yards it is a very good choice.

I'm just looking for a new 1-4 and in my budget its between the Meopta ZD and the SWFA 1-4 circle.

Just cant decide which one.
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 10:11:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Slow day, I was able to read all 16 pages. Good review (especially for a Mainah) and good follow-up discussion. In an unprecedented display of good judgement, our PD is going to allow the use of personally owned ar style rifles for patrol use. One of the sight options is a low power illuminated variable scope. Our dept owned patrol rifles have Eotechs, but I like the option of some magnification. It looks as if this scope is a good all purpose choice, that still falls within my price range. I haven't totally committed, but reviews like this certainly make educated decisions easier.
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 12:07:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks for the feedback

As I'm sure you'll derive if you haven't already, there is a great list of optics out there which will ebb and flow in popularity. Staying objective and picking one based on your needs and wants will narrow that list considerably. Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 12:45:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Slow day, I was able to read all 16 pages. Good review (especially for a Mainah) and good follow-up discussion. In an unprecedented display of good judgement, our PD is going to allow the use of personally owned ar style rifles for patrol use. One of the sight options is a low power illuminated variable scope. Our dept owned patrol rifles have Eotechs, but I like the option of some magnification. It looks as if this scope is a good all purpose choice, that still falls within my price range. I haven't totally committed, but reviews like this certainly make educated decisions easier.

If the optic was something I may be betting my life on I think I would more likely go with an ACOG or Aimpoint with magnifier for the added durability and battery life (battery life does not apply to the ACOG obviously).  On a hunting/competition/range gun I think the Super Sniper sounds like a very nice scope with a lot of well thought out features.

Thanks for the review and follow up Hokie, very well done!
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 1:12:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Aimpoint with magnifier for the added durability and battery life

That is one of the other options I am considering. I have always shot well with iron sights too, so battery failure would not be a total deal killer for me. Ultimately the rifle goes with me into retirement in NM. There the SS would make more sense. I can't really justify the $ for both, (although it looks like well maintained Aimpoints sell pretty quick around here...)
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 11:56:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By cop1211:

If I were you, I think I'd be fine with 'just' an AIMPOINT.  Why?  Well,  because you do most of your work in "no light or low light."  THIS is the major reason I would want a very bright and easy to pick up dot/reticle, which I think that either the AP or EOTECH will excel at.  I do think that the SWFA SS 1-4 is a good optic, especially for being able to dial it in at distance, which will mate very well with a 'precision rig.'  You, on the other hand my friend, are engaged in  direct action type stuff in which speed is of the essence and where distant shots are going to be rare.  I say go AP, because an RDS appears to be what you need.  As Pat Rogers says, "The mission drives the gear."  Makes sense, no?

ETA:
 Also want to point out that if you MUST have a 1-4 optic that the Meopta IS brighter than the SWFA SS scope.  Once again, I think that in your application, where distant shots will not be the norm, that an RDS will be the best choice for you.  MOLON had a thread that showed that one could deliver pretty precise fire with an AP at 100 yds with no sweat.  I'm personally contemplating buying an SWFA SS scope for my 'precision' build which sports a 16" nitrided Rock Creek barrel with 5R rifling, mid gas system and a modified WYLDE chamber to ensure reliable functioning with 5.56mm rounds all day long.  My GP/LW set-up will wear an AIMPOINT PRO.  

Link Posted: 12/13/2011 11:58:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh boy...

Okay, for CQB ranges, the Meopta presents a simple, bright reticle that is daylight visible, and optimized for quick, direct shots. Put the reticle over the target and pull the trigger. The reticle is bright enough to pull the eye directly to it even in the brightest sun.

Looking for more precision, say at greater distances, then the SS comes into its own. You have the mil-dot marks for holdover and for wind ot movement leads. The Meopta requires you to guestimate the holdover, while the SS gives it to you directly. Clear advantage.

Not correct. The new Meopta 1x4 ZD model has a BDC for 5.56. See CS Tactical's review here: http://www.cstactical.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=329:meopta-zd-1-4x22mm-scope-review&Itemid=447&tmpl=component&print=1

Coupled with true daylight visible illumination and a true CQB (dot) reticle (the reticle is still visible if the battery dies), the Meopta is superior (as well as more rugged) for CQB to medium range applications.

Wow, that is very nice, but the BDC is calibrated for what load?  This is where I believe the SWFA SS reticle design is better because you can set up your DOPE for any round you wish to use and are not married to one specific load, which is the case with BDC reticles.  If I am wrong, please correct me.  Once again, the Meopta's latest incarnation is pretty cool.  

Link Posted: 12/13/2011 1:10:27 PM EDT
[#43]
I'll piggyback that info request with what makes the Meopta more rugged than the SS?
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 6:39:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Well ,

I went with the Meopta ZD. Just received it, and looks like a winner.  To my eyes its Aimpoint bright in all light levels. I have 2 rifles with the Aimpoint M4s that definately fit the bill.  I've had several TR24's and I've found that the Aimpoint was only a fraction faster.

I 've used the 1-4 on duty/SWAT calls and have used the magnification. I actually prefer the 1-4 scopes. YMMV.

I was in the market for two 1-4 scopes. On the day the Meopta ZD was delivered ,a like new NF 1-4 FC2/Bobro popped up and I snatched that up.

I thought I was set and low and behold a like new Schmidt and Bender 1-4 fell into my lap  2 hours after the NF , and I couldnt pass it up!

I now have to decide if I want to sell the Meopta ZD or NF, or just let it morph into another $3,500 rifle
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 5:13:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Well ,

I went with the Meopta ZD. Just received it, and looks like a winner.  To my eyes its Aimpoint bright in all light levels. I have 2 rifles with the Aimpoint M4s that definately fit the bill.  I've had several TR24's and I've found that the Aimpoint was only a fraction faster.

I 've used the 1-4 on duty/SWAT calls and have used the magnification. I actually prefer the 1-4 scopes. YMMV.

I was in the market for two 1-4 scopes. On the day the Meopta ZD was delivered ,a like new NF 1-4 FC2/Bobro popped up and I snatched that up.

I thought I was set and low and behold a like new Schmidt and Bender 1-4 fell into my lap  2 hours after the NF , and I couldnt pass it up!

I now have to decide if I want to sell the Meopta ZD or NF, or just let it morph into another $3,500 rifle

FWIW, I find the availability for a daylight-visible dot mandatory for quick shooting at close ranges, so my NF 1-4 has dropped to the bottom of the queue when I need to set up a rifle.

Link Posted: 12/14/2011 6:21:38 AM EDT
[#46]
I think you made the right choice going with an illuminated dot.  And don't kid yourself - you know you'll go with another $3500 gun! lol...
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 2:38:23 PM EDT
[#47]
And so I hear the SS 1-6 just hit the scene!
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 9:50:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
And so I hear the SS 1-6 just hit the scene!

Go on...
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 5:23:16 AM EDT
[#49]
I went over to the tactical scope section of Optics Talk at SWFA, but nothing was said about when these will be available and what reticle designs will hit the market.  Also, I did not see anything on pricing.
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 6:37:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I went over to the tactical scope section of Optics Talk at SWFA, but nothing was said about when these will be available and what reticle designs will hit the market.  Also, I did not see anything on pricing.

they arent ready to release that data yet or it hasn't been finalized....we do know a 1-6 with HD glass is coming however....

if it is anything like the 1-4 its gonna be my new 6.8 scope

SWFA Optics Talk Forum "Shot Show 2012 New Products"

Page / 9
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top