User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 44
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:36:01 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
too bad this has gone off topic in so many different directions, none of them good

+1
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:46:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Hey I kept on topic by posting pics of a MK18, as requested.

Not my fault I had to defend my only thick leather belt.  Yes, I will order a tacticool belt soon.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:07:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Not my fault I had to defend my only thick leather belt.  Yes, I will order a tacticool belt soon.

Come  on brother, you were asking for it!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:52:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Racer...........since you work with them...... why aren't there more Mk18's in service? Have they been replaced, or unseated by MP5's 7's or UMP's, or other sub-guns?

Or are they just not in hands of those who typically end up in public photos?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:10:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Racer...........since you work with them...... why aren't there more Mk18's in service? Have they been replaced, or unseated by MP5's 7's or UMP's, or other sub-guns?

Or are they just not in hands of those who typically end up in public photos?

There's a metric ton of MK18s in service, as it has replaced the MP5 except for where its called for as a mission specific item (MP5SD). AFAIK, there are no MP7s or UMPs in usage by the US military.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:25:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Come  on brother, you were asking for it!

Alright, I'll give you that.  But only because I've eaten in the Nick Rowe chow hall and you sig reminded me of that place.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:52:25 PM EDT
[#7]
here, here, here are some more pics of one straight from the NAB

http://www.lisascadron.com/sealtribute/MK18.jpg
http://www.lisascadron.com/sealtribute/MK182.jpg
http://www.lisascadron.com/sealtribute/MK183.jpg

The question:

It is my understanding that these have 10.3" barrels, KAC RIS handguards, LMT fixed rear sights on an M4A1 lower. Does anyone know if the receivers are marked or remarked as Mk18 Mod0?

now you have proof
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:11:01 PM EDT
[#8]
COLTXM177, Where can I go to find more Pic's of the MK18 like you posted here ?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:18:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Those are the only ones I have.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:27:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Here's closer look at a SEALs CQBR.

media.militaryphotos.net/photos/albums/devgru/41265604haq_20021027_00123.jpg

I've seen pics of him before with his fully painted rifle.  This must be a picture taken right after he received his Mk18 upper or he just hadn't made it to the local ACE yet!

Want2race-  you should be whipped with that belt for posting a picture of yourself in BDUs while wearing EVERY pair of socks you own on your junk!   You ought to feel proud.  You made me feel very gay when I looked at that picture.  I was like, "WTF is this for?  What am I missing here?  Why is he posting this?" and then it hit me "There's no good reason.  I've just been tricked into looking at this f*cker's package!"  I feel like I've been raped!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:00:17 AM EDT
[#11]
JosEphus:  That closeup is for all the 'belt haters' !

[snip]
A Rangers tears can cure cancer, too bad a Ranger never cries.
When the boogie man goes to sleep, he checks the closet for a Ranger.
A Ranger is not hung like a horse, a Horse is hung like a Ranger.
[snip]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:41:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
JosEphus:  That closeup is for all the 'belt haters' !

[snip]
A Rangers tears can cure cancer, too bad a Ranger never cries.
When the boogie man goes to sleep, he checks the closet for a Ranger.
A Ranger is not hung like a horse, a Horse is hung like a Ranger.
[snip]

IM inbound.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:38:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
here, here, here are some more pics of one straight from the NAB

www.lisascadron.com/sealtribute/MK18.jpg
www.lisascadron.com/sealtribute/MK182.jpg
www.lisascadron.com/sealtribute/MK183.jpg

The question:

It is my understanding that these have 10.3" barrels, KAC RIS handguards, LMT fixed rear sights on an M4A1 lower. Does anyone know if the receivers are marked or remarked as Mk18 Mod0?

now you have proof

Can you get some pics of the barrel markings???  Very interested.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:37:01 PM EDT
[#14]
tagged
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:54:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I am working on one.

I will soon have the free-float rail on.

Sadly, I realized my old 20 inch AUG is the same length and has 9 more inches of barrel.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:28:36 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I am working on one.

www.silencertests.com/albums/Steyr/IMG_0800.sized.jpg

I will soon have the free-float rail on.

Sadly, I realized my old 20 inch AUG is the same length and has 9 more inches of barrel.

?

The real one doesnt have a free float rail....
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:34:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Your Crane stock could go in to the first click and save three inches, while providing a proper cheek weld.  It is not an accident that I never bought an AUG.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:34:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Obligatory tag.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:36:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Does the real one have a non-free float KAC rail? If so, I can put that on instead. I have both kinds.

Notice how the M4-2000 flash hider fits fine. I was not sure it would.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:41:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Who gives a shit what the real one has?  RAS sucks ass.  The URX looks good, but DD and Larue have KAC beat.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:48:11 PM EDT
[#21]
I agree in the sense that if I did not have an old KAC rail sitting around I would not buy one just to keep it authentic.

But I have the old KAC rail on two rifles currently, so I can pull one off one of those. For example, I have a Colt 16 inch 'm4' upper that came with one. Since there is no such thing as a 16 inch M4, there is no sense in keeping that original. I can pull the rail from it and use it on the LMT 10.5.

Yes Daniel Defense and LaRue are both super nice.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:00:51 PM EDT
[#22]
I am not alone in wishing the military would drop the KAC.  But they do add that key authenticity.

I am still trying to find someone that makes an A4 upper with no forward assist, and I am not alone in thinking they are less than useful either.  In fact, one of my friends from ARFcom goes so far as to say that they do more harm than good.

By using a URX and FAless upper, you would save 3/4 of a pound.   That weight can go right back into a 12 inch barrel, and you will have a weapon that does everything an M4 does, only lighter, shorter and cleaner.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:12:48 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Does the real one have a non-free float KAC rail? If so, I can put that on instead. I have both kinds.

www.silencertests.com/albums/LMT/lmt.jpg

Bit OT, but....
I guess the AAC M4-2000 has zero overlapp (of the FH) when attached?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:30:01 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

www.silencertests.com/albums/LMT/lmt.jpg

NSW is issued the KAC RAS & RIS.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:12:31 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

By using a URX and FAless upper, you would save 3/4 of a pound.   That weight can go right back into a 12 inch barrel, and you will have a weapon that does everything an M4 does, only lighter, shorter and cleaner.

Why do you not like the forward assist? It is needed to quietly chamber a round. I am not sure I would want to give that up.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:39:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:14:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:18:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:23:35 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Who gives a shit what the real one has?  RAS sucks ass.  The URX looks good, but DD and Larue have KAC beat.

Because maybe he is like Ekie and likes to build replicas.  Nothing wrong with that.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:12:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:28:35 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Why do you not like the forward assist? It is needed to quietly chamber a round. I am not sure I would want to give that up.

I'd rather have a few serrations milled onto the bolt carrier like a Norwegian G3.

The FA is a little on the portly side, and I don't ever use it.  It is useless weight.  

I was once told by an instructor of mine to remove my right hand from the pistol grip and tap the FA during the loading sequence.  I did not adopt that procedure.

The FA is on the wrong side of the weapon.

Not one of my clearance drills uses the FA.

LeitnerWise and Grendel chambered uppers do not use the deflector either- you can see where I'm going with this.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:34:59 AM EDT
[#32]
The SCAR has a reciprocating charging handle so it can also serve a forward assist function.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:39:44 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
The SCAR has a reciprocating charging handle so it can also serve a forward assist function.

If I'm nopt mistaken that is one of the things they are talkiing about changing for the Gen 3.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:44:29 AM EDT
[#34]
I heard people ask them to change it. But I think one needs a way to close the bolt quietly.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:04:28 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
"Your Crane stock could go in to the first click and save three inches, while providing a proper cheek weld. It is not an accident that I never bought an AUG."

"I am not alone in wishing the military would drop the KAC. But they do add that key authenticity."

"I was once told by an instructor of mine to remove my right hand from the pistol grip and tap the FA during the loading sequence. I did not adopt that procedure.

Not one of my clearance drills uses the FA."

Jesus.  Could you be more fucking pompous and full of yourself?  
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:10:22 AM EDT
[#36]
I have the non-free float KAC rail on now. It was nice I did not have to remove the front sight.

So... just when I thought I was going for original authenticity, I decided I can't stand the LMT rear sight. I think it is butt ugly and I like the KAC 600 meter so much better. I also like the KAC 300 meter, but I am out of those.

Besides my LMT sight turned purple when I put it into my sovent tank! That is a bummer. Bad anodize job.

Also my original plan was to use an AIMPOINT but now I plan to use an Eotech 553 once I can get one.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:13:59 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Yes.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:31:39 AM EDT
[#38]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
"Your Crane stock could go in to the first click and save three inches, while providing a proper cheek weld. It is not an accident that I never bought an AUG."

"I am not alone in wishing the military would drop the KAC. But they do add that key authenticity."

"I was once told by an instructor of mine to remove my right hand from the pistol grip and tap the FA during the loading sequence. I did not adopt that procedure.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jesus. Could you be more fucking pompous and full of yourself?

That's OK, when you are an ARFCOM/keyboard commando and your name has "Combat" in it,  you can be as arrogant as you want to be.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:51:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Lee, if you want to know what the name means, spend the 24 dollars and search the archives. There are two threads about it.  The general consensus is that it should stand.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:34:38 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry Seth but that was pretty funny brother.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:51:58 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Anybody know of a soure for the 10.5" barrel?  Does anybody know what the markings are on them?  Should be C MP CB under the handguards like the 11.5" barrel.

pic11.picturetrail.com/VOL366/498052/7260295/120761760.jpg

I wonder why Colt M4 barrels either the M4 or the M4 SOCOM barrel, don't have the CB markings when they obviously have chromelined bores...

HUNTER.

The barrel markings on the M4 and the M4A1 are mandated by RIA.  Am sure Colt is free to mark thier MK18 barrels how ever they want.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:54:33 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I'm living proof that someone can be a arrogant asshole and still be right.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:08:41 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm living proof that someone can be a arrogant asshole and still be right.

...and knowing is half the battle.

Non freefloat KAC HGs, from my view.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:16:16 PM EDT
[#44]
IIRC there was a unit that attempted to purchase Larue handguards for their M4s, but were directed to the KAC RAS.  Military procurement systems are often out of date.  The RAS was cool when it was the main contender.  It has been replaced on the civilian side by better options.  This does not affect how well, or poorly it works.  It still does everything just like it used to.  

We have, however, reached a point in development where the Larue, URX and DD rails have eclipsed the non float units, and done it for the same or only slightly greater price.

So while a correct replica uses an RAS, the military should be looking very hard at adopting a new rail system.  It appears that the advent of the SCAR program may solve the problem, because the SCAR is a better rifle for the money (IMO), assuming there are no gremlins yet to be discovered.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:18:41 PM EDT
[#45]
The other reason to get rid of the FA is because it would lower the civilian price by approximately 14 dollars.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:13:11 PM EDT
[#46]
From the pics I see the RIS is used on the MK18.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:21:19 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

As I've stated before. The KAC RIS and RAS are in use with NSW.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:24:47 PM EDT
[#48]
How does a RIS differ from a RAS?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:25:54 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Right, LMT upper and RAS are suppose to be in use, but all the pictures show Colt uppers and RIS handguards.  They are apparently more photogenic.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:42:15 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Right, LMT and RAS are suppose to be in use, but all the pictures show Colt uppers and RIS handguards.  They are apparently more photogenic.

How many MK18's have you been around? A lot of the photos are from 01' to 02'. You've seen five photos and there are THOUSANDS of these issued.

If you still feel uncomfortable that "Colt" isn't the "sole provider" of the MK18 then do a search at www.tacticalforums.com . While your there search LMT and KAC RAS in the SEAL forum. You can also call LMT and talk to Gene and see what he has to say.

I get so tired of the armchair commando "Colt Geeks" around here. Go ahead and question me all you want..... but that still makes you a

Page / 44
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top