BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/1/2011 4:39:07 PM EDT
Some Pictures of 3 Para in Afghan

Soldiers from A Company, 2nd Battalion The Royal Gurkha Rifles, during operations in Helmand Province, Afghanistan, late August 2011

Link Posted: 9/1/2011 4:46:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Images of 1 RIFLES, B company operating in and around their Patrol Bases and Check Points in the NES South area of Helmand Province for the Duration of HERRICK 14.

Link Posted: 9/1/2011 4:48:01 PM EDT
[#2]

badass
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 4:51:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Hopefully they buy M4s soon to replace their POS bullpup.
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 4:58:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Good find....
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 5:01:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Everytime we worked with the Brits I got a chance to drool over the LMT. The bullpup rifles and some od the optics they are issued are complete shit, but damn that LMT is one sexy rifle
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 5:22:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks.  Have to find and post some of the other similar pics I found a while back.

Members of 5 Platoon, B Company, 1st Battalion The Rifles, with members of the Afghan Uniformed Police at newly-created Checkpoint Gulbarra in Nahr-e Saraj (South)

Link Posted: 9/1/2011 5:40:52 PM EDT
[#7]
A Royal Marine from 42 Commando (Cdo) is pictured in a poppy field as a Chinook helicopter takes off in the background.

This photo rocks

Link Posted: 9/4/2011 11:21:50 AM EDT
[#8]
"30 Commando follow in footsteps of WW2 heroes on frontline in Afghanistan.  30 Commando Royal Marines are embarked on their first operational tour since WW2.  30 Commando Support Squadron - the Brigade Reconnaissance Force for Herrick 14.  This photo was taken on May 15, 2011 using a Nikon D3S."

Notice L129a1s (MWSs) by the tan sopmod stocks.  I see at least two... second from right and 4th from left.  If you go to the source of this pic you can get a larger image for a closer look.  ETA: Link to larger photo.

Link Posted: 9/4/2011 11:44:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Those are great, Thanks for posting them.
Link Posted: 9/4/2011 4:46:16 PM EDT
[#10]
What optics are on top?
Link Posted: 9/4/2011 4:51:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What optics are on top?

look like trijicon ta648 with RMR on top
Link Posted: 9/4/2011 5:11:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Cool thread.  Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 9/4/2011 6:07:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I posted these a while back in the LMT 308 picture thread... here they are again.

British in Afganistan 2010/2011

A member of 2 Scots keeps a watchful eye out for Taliban activity as members of 9 Parachute Squadron 23 Engineer Regiment construct the next phase of Route Trident.

A soldier from 3 PARA talks to a young motorist in Naqilabad Kalay about career opportunities in the Afghan National Police

––––––-
Following posted around July 2010

Training

"A soldier from Somme Company looking through the sight of the brand new sharp shooter rifle, during a patrol."

Operation TOR SHEZADA meaning Black Prince, is being carried out by Combined Force Nad-e Ali (CF NDA) to clear any known insurgents from Sayedebad and involves UK troops and Afghan National Security Forces (ANSF).  Lieutenant Colonel (Lt Col) Frazer Lawrence OBE, Commanding Officer (CO) The 1st Battalion The Duke of Lancaster’s is commander of CF NDA and is leading the operation.

Jason Statham, Dolph Lundgren and Sylvester Stallone with soldiers from The Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment at Wellington Barracks in central London

––––––––––––––
Sep 2010 post

Earlier this summer Sean Power, a former Royal Marine with 40 Cdo, revisited Afghanistan as a photographer, spending time in Sangin with the Royal Marines and in Nahr-e Saraj with the Royal Gurkha Rifles. Below are a selection of his photos from his time with the Gurkhas.

A soldier with 1st Battalion Scots Battalion provides security during an Afghan police-led patrol in Lashkar Gah, Helmand province, Afghanistan, Sept. 17. Afghan police searched compounds for bomb-making factories a day prior to the national elections.

Link Posted: 9/4/2011 7:12:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/4/2011 7:20:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Great pics. Thanks for sharing.

The LMT MWS is definitely on my short list of rifles to get next. I have the LMT MRP and love it
Link Posted: 9/4/2011 9:12:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Cool, neat pics.
Link Posted: 9/4/2011 9:17:42 PM EDT
[#17]
It is on my must buy it list.
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 4:12:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Wow..great thread.  Should be a sticky so it doesnt get lost!
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 6:48:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Great work Jason.

Link Posted: 9/5/2011 7:48:39 AM EDT
[#20]
once again...you have out done yourself Jason. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 8:29:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Great Thread

Gotta love the shots with the Gurkhas
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 8:40:46 AM EDT
[#22]
great pic's
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 9:13:15 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

great pic's

Indeed.  I enjoyed looking at them.

Link Posted: 9/5/2011 10:22:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Glad you guys like them... took time to dig it all up.  Thought this would be a good place to compile it.

MWS at 1.43 and 2.31 into this video of British Royal Marines in Helmand.
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 10:34:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hopefully they buy M4s soon to replace their POS bullpup.

Trying them out anyway.

No MWS in photo with the dog

"Lance Cpl. Tom Welstand, a native of Berystedmunds, England, and a military working dog handler with 103 Military Dog Squadron, shares a moment with his search dog, Steegan, during Operation Zamrod Olai, June 25, in northern Nad'Ali District, Helmand province. Welstand and Steegan were operating in support of M Company, 42 Commando, who were sweeping the area to disrupt insurgent activity and movement. M Company expected the area to be heavily mined with improvised explosive devices, making Steegan a crucial part of the team."

"The 9th/12th Royal Lancers (Prince of Wales’s) are a formation reconnaissance regiment, currently attached to 7th Armoured Brigade, the famous Desert Rats.

We are the eyes and ears for the Brigade Commander of over 5000 soldiers, operating in advance of the front line to gather information and intelligence on the enemy and environment."

May 2011

"Soldiers from D Company The Highlanders, 4th Battalion the Royal Regiment of Scotland - a welcome water stop while on patrol from Yellow 14 - Herrick 14"

"Private Charlotte Cook, serving with the Theatre Military Working Dog Support Unit, and her five-year-old spaniel Molly, attached to A Company, 4 SCOTS, on patrol during the operation"

Link Posted: 9/5/2011 11:45:43 AM EDT
[#26]
What seems to be the problem with the Brit bullpups?  I've heard for years they were unreliable, but never exactly why...anyone?
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 11:53:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Not sure but they look pretty well equipped in general.  Have seen a number of examples of their helmets and body armor stopping rounds.

They even have Wild West Beef Jerky
"2nd Battalion The Parachute Regiment, with the new 12-hour ration packs"
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 1:54:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Pmags abound. The bird dog as a MWD is cool.
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 1:59:04 PM EDT
[#29]
This one was originally posted in Nov 2010 on militaryphotos.net so probably among the earliest images of the MWS in its, then, new role.

A Ranger from the 1st Royal Irish Regiment keeps watch on patrol whilst passing by a local shop.

The below, and a few among the pictures earlier in this thread, are from Sept 2010.

"A soldier with 1st Battalion Scots Guard and an Afghan policeman patrol on the outskirts of Lashkar Gah, Helmand province, Afghanistan, Sept. 17. Afghan police searched compounds for bomb-making factories a day prior to the national elections."
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 3:54:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Irish Guard in Afghanistan uses MWS to put two into a downed fighter with an PK machine gun to make sure.

Link

Two more solders equipped with L129a1s at 2:16 and 2:58
Link Posted: 9/7/2011 7:12:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Link to July 2010 Combat Arms article most have seen.  Hosted from LMT site:

Link

Link to "Taking Back The Infantry Half-km: Britian's L129A1" story from June 2010:

Link
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 11:31:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Posted a week ago.

"Nar-e Saraj with 42 Commando, Kilo Company, Herrick 14

42 Commando Royal Marines, Kilo Company are based in Patrol Base 5 and surrounding smaller check points in NES-S for Herrick 14 supporting 1 RIFLES for their 3 Commando Brigade led tour. The images taken show Kilo Company on the ground patrolling and living in their various locations for the tour."

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 11:41:37 AM EDT
[#33]
"Images of 1 RIFLES, B company operating in and around their Patrol Bases and Check Points in the NES South area of Helmand Province for the Duration of HERRICK 14."

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 9:11:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Apparently LMT are doing civilian spec rifles for the U.K market. I wanted something similar to the original AR-10, but whilst we did have some genuine Armalite, original wasn't an option. FWIW, having seen quite a few of these at the National Shooting Centre, they do look excellent quality.

Quoted:
Jason Statham, Dolph Lundgren and Sylvester Stallone with soldiers from The Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment at Wellington Barracks in central London
http://i36.tinypic.com/9bd7ae.jpg

I'm sure it wasn't you that labelled them, but I don't see PWRR. I see Royal Regiment of Fusiliers, Royal Signals, and Royal Artillery.

Quoted:
What seems to be the problem with the Brit bullpups?  I've heard for years they were unreliable, but never exactly why...anyone?

The A2 is reputedly a very good rifle. The A1 was not good at all, which is why they were sent to HK for a redesign. They are quite heavy and don't have the ergonomics of other bullpups, but they are one of the most reliable and accurate bullpup designs available.

There is a lot of misinformation about them online, and unfortunately getting A2 rifles of equivalent quality to the civilian market is very unlikely. I believe a company did produce a very small number of A2 spec rifles, alongside the tiny number of A1s that made it to the U.S.

Apparently they were tested against the AUG, M4, FAMAS and possibly some other designs after the A2 upgrade, coming out top in reliability. I can't remember the details of the testing, but they are out there.

Whilst I didn't use them as military, I was very impressed with them in comparison to the A1. I do know a fair few people that used them operationally in both current major conflicts, and they all rated them highly.    

Link Posted: 10/21/2011 6:44:45 PM EDT
[#35]
New Zealand adopts the MWS with 20" barrel, scope, and Dueck offset irons.

Link
Link Posted: 10/21/2011 6:48:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
New Zealand adopts the MWS with 20" barrel, scope, and Dueck offset irons.

Link

Dupe?
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/498863_LMT_308_MRP_picture_thread.html&page=28

I fail, this would have been the proper place to post it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2011 6:56:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Thanks for the find.  Set up same as the Combat Arms article with scope and Dueck offset irons.
Link Posted: 10/21/2011 8:14:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Damn this thread is so full of win...one of the coolest threads Ive seen.  Even though I'm just now commenting, Ive been following it for awhile.  Thanks Jason and keep up the great posts
Link Posted: 10/21/2011 8:25:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Pmags abound. The bird dog as a MWD is cool.

PMAGs in the big gun, EMAGs in the little. Someone in Boulder is rich because of it I'm sure.
Link Posted: 10/21/2011 8:36:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Anyone notice, the lowers are marked full auto. In the video around a 1:08min
I couldn't spot a sear pin hole tho.
I have seen one video on YouTube of Gene shooting an MWS full auto. (video added, but not embedded so as to not distract from thread)

Image taken from video at 1:07,
Link Posted: 10/21/2011 11:57:27 PM EDT
[#41]
it surprises me that they did not sprout off a pride issue with buying a yank stick.
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 12:08:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Jason Statham has his finger on the trigger and weapon on semi-

Looks like one movie star who could use a little more time at a shooting school.

Interesting to see the magpul mag in the MWS picture there. I would have figured they would get a better deal on KAC mags than the $100 civilian price and just run those.  Looks like the Brit's gear it light years ahead of just a few years ago.
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 12:11:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Damn that is a wicked picture, great job capturing it and posting it.

I can't stand the vfg widget thingy that they equip almost everyone Ive seen with, but then again I'm not a big fan of vfgs in general and especially on precision pieces.

In regards to F/A marked lowers...Ive heard a rumor that the SAS were spotted fielding a 13.5" F/A  L129A1, or the exact rifle config that Gene was testing in those badass youtube videos as you referred to above.  

Its certainly not hard to believe when you add together the fact that LMT has extensively tested a 13.5" barreled MWS in F/A with a suppressor, along with the fact that we(U.S. civi market) don't have the option at least yet to buy a 13.5" barrel, and Ive yet to see a pic or even hear about a non SAS soldier fielding a 13.5" L129A1.   Taking it even further, Ive yet to hear about or see a pic of a normal L129A1 w/ a suppressor in the field, and obviously not a 13.5" suppressed L129A1 in the field.

So when you add it all up, who the heck is LMT making a F/A suppressed 13.5" MWS/L129A1 for if not for the U.S. civilian market or the typical British soldiers that currently only use to my knowledge the 16" SST barreled L129A1????  I'm inclined to believe its in fact being made and fielded by SAS, but again have no solid source to back my assumption really.

A pal @ LMT says that its extremely hard to handle and control the 13.5" in F/A....Gene is pretty damn diesel, and it appears that its def. giving him a good workout.

Link Posted: 10/22/2011 1:10:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Damn that is a wicked picture, great job capturing it and posting it.

I can't stand the vfg widget thingy that they equip almost everyone Ive seen with, but then again I'm not a big fan of vfgs in general and especially on precision pieces.

In regards to F/A marked lowers...Ive heard a rumor that the SAS were spotted fielding a 13.5" F/A  L129A1, or the exact rifle config that Gene was testing in those badass youtube videos as you referred to above.  

Its certainly not hard to believe when you add together the fact that LMT has extensively tested a 13.5" barreled MWS in F/A with a suppressor, along with the fact that we(U.S. civi market) don't have the option at least yet to buy a 13.5" barrel, and Ive yet to see a pic or even hear about a non SAS soldier fielding a 13.5" L129A1.   Taking it even further, Ive yet to hear about or see a pic of a normal L129A1 w/ a suppressor in the field, and obviously not a 13.5" suppressed L129A1 in the field.

So when you add it all up, who the heck is LMT making a F/A suppressed 13.5" MWS/L129A1 for if not for the U.S. civilian market or the typical British soldiers that currently only use to my knowledge the 16" SST barreled L129A1????  I'm inclined to believe its in fact being made and fielded by SAS, but again have no solid source to back my assumption really.

A pal @ LMT says that its extremely hard to handle and control the 13.5" in F/A....Gene is pretty damn diesel, and it appears that its def. giving him a good workout.

Typically suppressed weapons run on full auto with low recoil and superior muzzle control.

In durability testing of our suppressors on 10.5" 5.56 MK18's I could take a 4x4 block of wood at 15yds and start nailing it on full auto and chase it out to 60+ yards with 3 30 round magazines on full auto.  The gun was like one of those BB machine guns at the fair - you just point the EO tech, squeeze the trigger and start laying lead.  At 100 yards, keeping rounds on an E-type silhouette would probably be doable.  

I bet the 13.5" LMT rifle is more controllable with the can on it.  And also bet experienced military users are spending most of the time on semi-auto anyway.
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 2:12:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Just cool.
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 4:05:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Who makes that folding VFG for New Zealand's MWS?

ETA - I think I found it - CAA FVG1

LOL, do a Google search and you'll see it's also available from Sears.com under Fitness & Sports.

Link Posted: 11/26/2011 6:10:17 PM EDT
[#47]
It looks to be a caa folding vfg. I could be wrong though.
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 6:32:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

They are extremely handy if you're going to be carrying the weapon at low ready for any length of time, or manuevering at close quarters.   I never use them for aimed fire, though some people use them as (poor) monopods.
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 1:12:11 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are extremely handy if you're going to be carrying the weapon at low ready for any length of time, or manuevering at close quarters.   I never use them for aimed fire, though some people use them as (poor) monopods.

I use a modified grip with VFGs.  I also prefer the stubby ones.  For the MWS, I have been using a Magpul AFG to keep my hand from contacting the area that clamps around the barrel extension. It doesn't go back as far as I'd like, not that I've ever shot it where it got super hot.   I'd like to try a quality folding version.

Link Posted: 11/27/2011 2:22:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Nice pics, thanks for sharing.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top