BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 12:28:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes, all over. Go to your LGS and you’ll see them....
View Quote
Cool. Which ones also smashed the m27 and M4A1 during SEP testing?
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 12:36:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link?
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 12:37:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Link?
View Quote
Submit your request through the proper channels and Picatinny will supply the data.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 12:45:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hodge rifles have been tested at Picatinny as part of the Army SEP program, and subjected to the same 24k M855A1 durability protocol as the M4A1 and M27. It crushed them both.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have a dog in this fight but I will say their specs are very "common". Help me understand the difference.

What testing or evidence do you have to support that claim? I have a Criterion barrel that I would be hard-pressed to believe this Hodge barrel is better than.
Hodge rifles have been tested at Picatinny as part of the Army SEP program, and subjected to the same 24k M855A1 durability protocol as the M4A1 and M27. It crushed them both.
Thanks. Reading more about them they sound a lot like SOLGW. By that I mean, they don't actually make anything, they partner with other companies to get the specs they want. I was surprised when I saw that Hodge used 9310 QPQ bolts. Toolcraft likely. FN made barrels. Looks like Jim is/was active on TOS. And he's is Texas. I like them already

Quoted:
Quoted:
Link?
Submit your request through the proper channels and Picatinny will supply the data.
@JohnDough added after your reply.
But for real though, link or picture of the data? I'll admit that it doesn't sound impressive that a CHF FN barrel (M249 spec likely like Noveske) beat out a standard made Colt M4 barrel. Not to mention the barrel profile was probably better on the Hodge than the dumb Govt profile, which will give a nod to Hodge.

Were the barrels used same length, profile, etc?
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 12:49:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks. Reading more about them they sound a lot like SOLGW. By that I mean, they don't actually make anything, they partner with other companies to get the specs they want. I was surprised when I saw that Hodge used 9310 QPQ bolts. Toolcraft likely. FN made barrels. Looks like Jim is/was active on TOS. And he's is Texas. I like them already
View Quote
The BCGs are not Toolcraft, but none have ever broken of which I am aware, including during the 24k round m855a1 testing.

Yes, Hodge leverages industry. It makes no sense not to. That way the best of their kind products can be incorporated into the same product. Also, by doing some of the consulting and licensing for companies like FN, development and testing costs are obviously diffused.

No link or internal memos coming from me. You'll just have to choose to believe GS5414 and myself, or not.

Ps. M27 barrels are kinda beefy...

The Hodge barrel is unique to Hodge. Noveske barrels by FN are not even made out of the same steel.

Hodge barrels used are the same as you can buy when they're in stock, as far as I know. There arent two versions of them (unless you count Daniel Defense barrels used on earlier Mod 1 guns)
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 1:14:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
That means nothing without the data. Smashed? I’m what way? Just the barrel? Did it look cooler? What was the criteria?
So again, another common AR.... built buy a guy who probably knows what he’s doing, but so do thousands others. Where is any innovation? Where is the proof of innovation (patents, metallurgy reports, etc.). It seems the product is backed by a slogan; a bad one at that, without any data to show that it’s better than the competition.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 1:18:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The BCGs are not Toolcraft, but none have ever broken of which I am aware, including during the 24k round m855a1 testing.

Yes, Hodge leverages industry. It makes no sense not to. That way the best of their kind products can be incorporated into the same product. Also, by doing some of the consulting and licensing for companies like FN, development and testing costs are obviously diffused.

No link or internal memos coming from me. You'll just have to choose to believe GS5414 and myself, or not.

Ps. M27 barrels are kinda beefy...

The Hodge barrel is unique to Hodge. Noveske barrels by FN are not even made out of the same steel.

Hodge barrels used are the same as you can buy when they're in stock, as far as I know. There arent two versions of them (unless you count Daniel Defense barrels used on earlier Mod 1 guns)
View Quote
Ok, thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 6:20:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That means nothing without the data. Smashed? I’m what way? Just the barrel? Did it look cooler? What was the criteria?
So again, another common AR.... built buy a guy who probably knows what he’s doing, but so do thousands others. Where is any innovation? Where is the proof of innovation (patents, metallurgy reports, etc.). It seems the product is backed by a slogan; a bad one at that, without any data to show that it’s better than the competition.
View Quote
You prove my earlier point so well. You're owed none of this. You don't have that data from any other manufacturer, yet you act like Hodge must provide it to you. No. You aren't entitled to IP from anyone.

This is what I meant earlier, to a T.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 6:46:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You prove my earlier point so well. You're owed none of this. You don't have that data from any other manufacturer, yet you act like Hodge must provide it to you. No. You aren't entitled to IP from anyone.

View Quote
Of course I’m not ‘owed’ any of it. And the data is there for other manufacturers.... look at the patents from KAC, LMT, LWRC.... innovation.... moving forward.... some places choose not to patent things because then the secret sauce is out there, and when the patent expires, anyone can copy. FN would already have their ‘secret sauce’ for the barrels.... so my point still stands. It’s a common AR... it just has parts hand selected for fit. Anyone else can do that.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 8:23:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Of course I’m not ‘owed’ any of it. And the data is there for other manufacturers.... look at the patents from KAC, LMT, LWRC.... innovation.... moving forward.... some places choose not to patent things because then the secret sauce is out there, and when the patent expires, anyone can copy. FN would already have their ‘secret sauce’ for the barrels.... so my point still stands. It’s a common AR... it just has parts hand selected for fit. Anyone else can do that.
View Quote
If you can get FN to formulate the steel and produce the barrels with your bore specs, as well as hold your suppliers to a thermal fit standard on uppers, yes, anyone can. Noone else does at this time.

-what are sr16 bolts made of? LMT bolts?
-who supplies KACs barrels for the sr16?
-what is the metallurgy report on the Noveske "m249" barrel?
-what testing did KAC do for the new MOD 2 gas system regarding kinematics?

None of this is public confirmation available. It is what it is.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 8:30:42 PM EDT
[#11]
So...KAC or Hodge?
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 8:53:30 PM EDT
[#12]
7/8 barrels that I’ve placed into BCM uppers required thermo fitting, so that would be a start.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 8:54:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So...KAC or Hodge?
View Quote
I prefer Hodge for the barrel, and the material of the upper and lower, but think KAC has a better BCG and more innovative gas system with the MOD 2 setup.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 8:55:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
7/8 barrels that I’ve placed into BCM uppers required thermo fitting, so that would be a start.
View Quote
BCM has indeed began as of a year or two trying to do this as well.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 8:58:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I prefer Hodge for the barrel, and the material of the upper and lower, but think KAC has a better BCG and more innovative gas system with the MOD 2 setup.
View Quote
For longevity or accuracy? Or both?
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 8:59:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

For longevity or accuracy? Or both?
View Quote
Longevity and porting. I believe they are probably similarly accurate.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 9:00:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks. Hoping to try one eventually!
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 9:08:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Thanks. Hoping to try one eventually!
View Quote
FWIW, all the KAC guys love 'em.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 9:18:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If you can get FN to formulate the steel and produce the barrels with your bore specs, as well as hold your suppliers to a thermal fit standard on uppers, yes, anyone can. Noone else does at this time.

-what are sr16 bolts made of? LMT bolts?
-who supplies KACs barrels for the sr16?
-what is the metallurgy report on the Noveske "m249" barrel?
-what testing did KAC do for the new MOD 2 gas system regarding kinematics?

None of this is public confirmation available. It is what it is.
View Quote
You can look up their patents for the products... KAC bolt, has system, lwrc barrel system, etc... all the info is out there. Not sure about KAC barrel, but if that’s all that hodge has, which is the claim of longevity, that’s nothing. I can build it, as well as tens of thousands of others, cheaper.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 9:41:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You can look up their patents for the products... KAC bolt, has system, lwrc barrel system, etc... all the info is out there. Not sure about KAC barrel, but if that’s all that hodge has, which is the claim of longevity, that’s nothing. I can build it, as well as tens of thousands of others, cheaper.
View Quote
Ive been dying to know, what alloy did KAC and LMT use for the bolts?
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 9:53:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I do believe that it’s been well beyond the past 1-2 years. This certainly isn’t something that Hodge came up with prior.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 10:59:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I do believe that it’s been well beyond the past 1-2 years. This certainly isn’t something that Hodge came up with prior.
View Quote
When did BCM start? I know Hodge was the first doing 0.074 ports on 14.5s, as a collab with DD, and then later Geissele and DD used the same port data on the ill fated URGs. I do know Hodge has been using those upper tolarances for at least half a decade. Not sure about BCM. But do know their press release on it was more recent.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 11:28:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
When did BCM start? I know Hodge was the first doing 0.074 ports on 14.5s, as a collab with DD, and then later Geissele and DD used the same port data on the ill fated URGs. I do know Hodge has been using those upper tolarances for at least half a decade. Not sure about BCM. But do know their press release on it was more recent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You’re jumping subjects.

BCM has been using tight fitting receiver extensions since at least 2013, and likely before then.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 3:13:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Waaaaaaa!!! Mommy, I want to be hand fed information instead of getting it myself. Is all Im hearing from these trolls.

I called the number on Hodge's website, and guess who answered the phone, the guy whose name is on the rifle and he gave me all info I needed.

Dont give these entitled millennials anything they don't deserve it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 5:45:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Waaaaaaa!!! Mommy, I want to be hand fed information instead of getting it myself. Is all Im hearing from these trolls.

I called the number on Hodge's website, and guess who answered the phone, the guy whose name is on the rifle and he gave me all info I needed.

Dont give these entitled millennials anything they don't deserve it.
View Quote
Matthew seemed to have a genuine interest,  and I'm happy to answer, but where there was just trolling, I dont mind responding for the sake of the silent lurkers who are curious.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 8:50:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Matthew seemed to have a genuine interest,  and I'm happy to answer, but where there was just trolling, I dont mind responding for the sake of the silent lurkers who are curious.
View Quote
It’s not a troll because it upset you.... I’m genuinely curious about what puts them in the price bracket they’re in... and so far, I haven’t found anything except claims of the best barrel which is subjective. From what I understand, it’s a guy that sources to industry for parts that be acquired cheaper. I think another poster said that he prices then parts from their site to build an upper vs a complete upper sans bolt/CH and it was 1k more for the complete. That appears to be a markup on labor.

ETA: I did the same thing and it was $700 more for the complete. So $700 assembly.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 10:30:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It’s not a troll because it upset you.... I’m genuinely curious about what puts them in the price bracket they’re in... and so far, I haven’t found anything except claims of the best barrel which is subjective. From what I understand, it’s a guy that sources to industry for parts that be acquired cheaper. I think another poster said that he prices then parts from their site to build an upper vs a complete upper sans bolt/CH and it was 1k more for the complete. That appears to be a markup on labor.

ETA: I did the same thing and it was $700 more for the complete. So $700 assembly.
View Quote
He contracts with industry to make parts to his spec. Forge the personal relationships and order in volume and THEN you can start considering how you'd build a cheaper but equal mousetrap. Are you going to call MEGA up (ZEV) and have them set aside machine time, etc. while you develop a rail for them to produce for you?

As to the barrel, it's not really subjective, you just don't have access to the test data, nor is it anyone's place to hand you what you cannot yourself reach for and grasp for yourself.

A great example was John Noveske's barrels back in the day. You would be the guy saying "I'll just buy a PacNor barrel and make it myself for less!" Well...go right ahead. It won't be a BAD gun for sure, but it also won't compete with the real deal if you pushed 'em both HARD. That may not matter to you though, but just because you don't plan t o drive 200mph doesn't mean the GT2 isn't "more car" than the 9114S.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 10:52:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

He contracts with industry to make parts to his spec. Forge the personal relationships and order in volume and THEN you can start considering how you'd build a cheaper but equal mousetrap. Are you going to call MEGA up (ZEV) and have them set aside machine time, etc. while you develop a rail for them to produce for you?

As to the barrel, it's not really subjective, you just don't have access to the test data, nor is it anyone's place to hand you what you cannot yourself reach for and grasp for yourself.

A great example was John Noveske's barrels back in the day. You would be the guy saying "I'll just buy a PacNor barrel and make it myself for less!" Well...go right ahead. It won't be a BAD gun for sure, but it also won't compete with the real deal if you pushed 'em both HARD. That may not matter to you though, but just because you don't plan t o drive 200mph doesn't mean the GT2 isn't "more car" than the 9114S.
View Quote
You’re still just beating around the bush... I don’t need to make industry partners to build a solid rifle because the parts are already available. And it is subjective because it’s the word ‘better’. What is ‘better’ to one may not be to another. Duty rifle vs precision rifle. I know it’s not a precision barrel.... so maybe it’s a better duty barrel. Outside of that, nothing. So, we have an insanely high markup on putting together an AR.... that’s all.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 10:57:10 AM EDT
[#29]
[b]Quoted:[/b

View Quote
I like the Hodge stuff, but it's still subjective.

As far as who thought of the things first, Mega was making thermal fit uppers for many years. And Hodges barrel profile is very oddly similar to BA's Hanson profile, which has been around forever.

Again, the Hodge stuff looks good, but doesn't look to be far and away better or even better at all than other companies out there.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 11:36:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I like the Hodge stuff, but it's still subjective.

As far as who thought of the things first, Mega was making thermal fit uppers for many years. And Hodges barrel profile is very oddly similar to BA's Hanson profile, which has been around forever.

Again, the Hodge stuff looks good, but doesn't look to be far and away better or even better at all than other companies out there.
View Quote
It depends on what you want it for. In its niche, nothing has been able to compete with it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 11:56:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It depends on what you want it for. In its niche, nothing has been able to compete with it.
View Quote
Laughable without any evidence. You won’t even discuss what you’re trying to say here. Compete how? Again, what does it do better? I like really nice stuff. If something would show me that it’s worth it’s entry, I’d get one. But as of now, nothing is. $700 for someone to assemble what are probably quality parts in an upper.... when you can do it yourself with the same parts. You’re paying an up charge for assembly. Can’t deny that....
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 7:53:20 PM EDT
[#32]
How can a company who is in no way even trying to sell to ARFCOM’ers be a gimmick?

They are interested in consulting, building some badass improved carbines for gov agencies, and when they have some over-run, they have a build party and offer the leftovers to the civilian market.

Jim Hodge will be just fine if you don’t buy his stuff
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 8:55:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
How can a company who is in no way even trying to sell to ARFCOM’ers be a gimmick?

They are interested in consulting, building some badass improved carbines for gov agencies, and when they have some over-run, they have a build party and offer the leftovers to the civilian market.

Jim Hodge will be just fine if you don’t buy his stuff
View Quote
Well he went to the civvy commercial market.... and has almost no govt contracts.... so he is trying to sell to us. And I’m not saying it’s a gimmick. I’m asking what’s so special? How does anything on one of the hodge guns make them perform better? Last longer? Shoot softer? More reliable? More accurate? I get that it’s an OCD build, but don’t see any performance value there. No is answering that question.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 10:18:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Well he went to the civvy commercial market.... and has almost no govt contracts.... so he is trying to sell to us. And I’m not saying it’s a gimmick. I’m asking what’s so special? How does anything on one of the hodge guns make them perform better? Last longer? Shoot softer? More reliable? More accurate? I get that it’s an OCD build, but don’t see any performance value there. No is answering that question.
View Quote
All those have been answered. You just want IP and you're not getting it so you're doubling down.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 10:34:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

All those have been answered. You just want IP and you're not getting it so you're doubling down.
View Quote
There you go again.... hiding. No, I don’t want IP and no, they haven’t. What do his improvements do (not asking for the IP) that make the rifle a better rifle? Give some examples. Shit or get off the pot man... if you can answer that, then please do. I legitimately want to know. I don’t think you can though.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 10:36:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
There you go again.... hiding. No, I don’t want IP and no, they haven’t. What do his improvements do (not asking for the IP) that make the rifle a better rifle? Give some examples. Shit or get off the pot man... if you can answer that, then please do. I legitimately want to know. I don’t think you can though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's almost like you refused to read it the first time multiple people, including one Carlos Hathcock awardee, explained this in detail to you as much as could be done without getting into IP.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 10:48:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It's almost like you refused to read it the first time multiple people, including one Carlos Hathcock awardee, explained this in detail to you as much as could be done without getting into IP.
View Quote
Anecdotal evidence. There’s plenty of that out there for peoples $500 PSA builds too....
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 11:12:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Anecdotal evidence. There’s plenty of that out there for peoples $500 PSA builds too....
View Quote
Well, if the SEP program overseen by the Army and Picatinny are "anecdotal evidence", then I think your questions are beyond my ability to address.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 11:42:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you think I’m going to try to convince you that the Hodge Mod 2 is the bees knees, you’re mistaken. I don’t even own one. I have handled and shot one though.

My take is it’s all built around handling the M855A1. We really haven’t seen the real long term characteristics and effects of the higher pressure M855A1 load. Hasn’t been in service long enough. His aluminum lithium receivers are lighter and stronger than typical 7075-T6. How much “better”? IDK.

Hodge has sourced just about every part to his specifications or standards. You can’t say that all the components are just off the shelf items. There are some improvements, even down to the hardguard. Just because FN makes the barrel, doesn’t mean it’s the same as PSA barrel. I can tell you other than my SR15 Mod 2, the Hodge was one of the softest shooting carbines I’ve ever shot. Fit and finish was superb.

But for the price, I’ll stick with KAC for now.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 12:10:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Well, if the SEP program overseen by the Army and Picatinny are "anecdotal evidence", then I think your questions are beyond my ability to address.
View Quote
So post the results. I’d like to see the criteria and the results.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 12:29:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

So post the results. I’d like to see the criteria and the results.
View Quote
Im sure you would.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 12:37:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Im sure you would.
View Quote
Exactly.... these results don’t quote portray what you’ve been saying, do they?
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 1:44:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Exactly.... these results don’t quote portray what you’ve been saying, do they?
View Quote
"Yes I shared the data on open forum with someone who had no access. Well yeah it was sensible. They were wheedling and cajoling! I had to leak it!"

Rofl.

You've missed the boat. Im happy with the data at my disposal, and my money goes to Hodge guns. I answered questions for those who were curious. It's not my job to convince you of anything, or to justify my own purchases.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 5:23:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

"Yes I shared the data on open forum with someone who had no access. Well yeah it was sensible. They were wheedling and cajoling! I had to leak it!"

Rofl.

You've missed the boat. Im happy with the data at my disposal, and my money goes to Hodge guns. I answered questions for those who were curious. It's not my job to convince you of anything, or to justify my own purchases.
View Quote
So the info for all the other small arms testing is out there, but just not for this one? Sounds more and more like snake oil. Someone is full of it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 6:27:49 AM EDT
[#45]
More boutique stuff just like Wilson...
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 8:21:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Lol, so basically, "the data is there, and it is awesome, but you'll have to take my word for it because the data is as secret sauce as the barrel"
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 8:27:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Lol, so basically, "the data is there, and it is awesome, but you'll have to take my word for it because the data is as secret sauce as the barrel"
View Quote
And this secret data resulted in.... no contracts. A purchase order by the Forest Service for 7k.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 9:28:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Rofl.

View Quote
I did warn you about getting trolled by crayon eaters with big mouths didn't I?

Are you starting to realize why this site is considered a joke by SMEs. The fact that even Jordan showed up to add input in this thread, who probably should be considered an AR engineering SME shows just how much good info there is in this thread yet the children still choose to put their fingers in their ears and yell "nah nah nah nah".
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 9:39:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I did warn you about getting trolled by crayon eaters with big mouths didn't I?

Are you starting to realize why this site is considered a joke by SMEs. The fact that even Jordan showed up to add input in this thread, who probably should be considered an AR engineering SME shows just how much good info there is in this thread yet the children still choose to put their fingers in their ears and yell "nah nah nah nah".
View Quote
How am I, or anyone else, supposed to know who Jordan is his/her credibility? The joke is the laughable amount of information about it and the pussyfooting abound the details. Its an expensive rifle that looks nice (subjective), put together well (objective), made with quality parts (objective) a performs the same as a quality $1200-$1500 factory gun from a reputable shop, and it's end users accept that they paid a premium for someone to assemble it. That's all good man. Good rifle, but could be done cheaper (objective) because his parts are cheaper than the whole.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 10:15:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Despite all the nay sayers, haters and appearance of secret sauce- I still want one!
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top