Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 12:02:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Mock up....

Complete

Link Posted: 8/5/2012 1:10:19 PM EDT
[#2]
OK...But what does it look like on the inside.

Thru it
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 1:20:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like a green circle to me.
Link Posted: 8/22/2012 2:38:49 PM EDT
[#4]
They're back!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271040294188?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
I was bummed out that I missed out on this, and just left this thread open in firefox.

Just stumbled back onto it, so I did a quick Ebay search and there they are!

Hoping to put this on a Walther G22 using an ACOG mount.  I guess we'll see if that works out.

PS, he's got 46 left
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 9:38:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I see people selling these in the EE now, anyone have any leads on getting some of these off ebay again?  

I'd love to grab one to tinker with.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 10:31:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Tag-age for future reference.  Seems like a neat optic for the $
Link Posted: 2/27/2013 12:52:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Anyone know if these are these still available?
Link Posted: 3/1/2013 9:58:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Finally finished out my test pair, absoultely love these little guys....................................

Link Posted: 3/1/2013 7:00:42 PM EDT
[#9]

So how much money do you have invested in them? Looking for a cheap .22 rabbit optic
Link Posted: 3/1/2013 11:49:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 10:13:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Mmmmm, lets see............

$20 each delivered................................check
$15 cheapy clone mounts (both)...........check
$3  fiber optic tubes................................check
$1 candle to heat and melt tubes...........check
$2 superglue to fix light tubes.................check

each.........................................................$30.50

enjoyment and SHTF optic........................priceless
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 10:25:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

+2
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 5:51:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Very nice work.  I love the green. Please let us know how they do.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 8:35:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/5/2013 10:35:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Very nice work.  I love the green. Please let us know how they do.

I'm loving the green so much I'm probably going to remove the red and redo it green also. The trick with these is mount them as far back as you can, keeps the donut from being too large. It can also be a little sensitive about height and cheek weld. You really have to make sure what ever mount adaptor you choose will give you a proper cheek weld. These seem to be working very well.

Link Posted: 3/7/2013 1:55:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Cyclic, your build looks nice.  What and how did you attach the fiber optic rod to the front of the sight?  Also, what diameter rod did you use?  I have one of these sights laying around and I have some ideas on a build, but I'm not sure the best course of action to affix the rod to the optic.  Thanks a bunch.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 10:54:23 AM EDT
[#17]
I used four or five drops of superglue. But when I heated and bent the rod it actually holds on its own because of the shapes involved. It could be easily tweeked on and off before the superglue, but generally stayed in place on its own. A small relief is near the base of the optic where the fiber rod fits nicely. I used 1/8 rod for this final version. I started by purchasing about every rod size made in several colors to find the best size. I think sometime in the future I'll also try a blue rod if I can find one. Final thought is I believe the yellow/green rod will be the brightest.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 12:26:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the info, I'm going to try and buy some rod today.  Did you glue the rod directly to the aperture on the sight or just rely on the external glue spots on the body of the optic?
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 6:23:35 PM EDT
[#19]
are these back on sale? *hopeful puppy eyes*
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 9:47:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
are these back on sale? *hopeful puppy eyes*

Not on ebay.  I have found them listed on http://www.ds-solutions.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=22_29&products_id=75
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 10:42:03 PM EDT
[#21]
I glue it on both sides and at the front.

Here's where I get my fiber rods....................................

Plastruct

Enjoy
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 11:20:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Great.  Thanks Cyclic!
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 2:15:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Looks good Cyclic.  Have some of the blue fibre, its pretty dim compared to the green.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 8:31:59 PM EDT
[#24]
I figured it might be dimmer, but wanted to try it out any way. They also make a yellow thats VERY bright, I just can't see the yellow making a good reticle. I'll more than likely find my way back to the green, but I have to try it, just to see.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 10:45:41 PM EDT
[#25]
group buy? at least save on shipping, maybe get a price break?

ETA: Ok, I was initially kidding, but on a lark I sent an email to the guy in England who has them asking if he could give me a price break if I bought his last 5.  To my surprise he responded very quickly and said that not only would he be willing to work quantity discounts, he will be getting 20 more this week and upwards of 50 more are available.  I told him that I would check back.

What does the hive think?  As much as I'd love to get 2 for $40 like before that doesn't look likely.  Is there any enthusiasm for something like this?  And if so what would we be willing to pay?
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 11:39:38 PM EDT
[#26]
If the price is right, I may be in for a second.
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 10:57:27 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm interested. I'd be in for one, maybe two, at $30 each.
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 5:14:09 PM EDT
[#28]
I got my optic from another member here this past week. I am having trouble with finding a way to adhere the fibre optic rod to the spot under the front lense. I tried my grilfriends hot glue gun, but it would not stick. is there another substance other then hot glue that will get it to stick?
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 7:46:04 PM EDT
[#29]
I would grab a couple for a group buy - IM me with details if it gets off the ground.

Link Posted: 3/14/2013 8:09:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I would grab a couple for a group buy - IM me with details if it gets off the ground.

Same here.
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 8:09:21 PM EDT
[#31]
I could be down for one if they are about $30-$35 shipped.
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 8:14:11 PM EDT
[#32]
So, Basically, you have a home-made Armson OEG (Occluded-Eye Gunsite). Originally popular in the '70's, and still made today. Faster than the red-dot sights we have become accustomed to, but they have ONE and ONLY ONE weakness. When you hold the sight on-target for more than a couple seconds, the dot will start to drift a bit (eyes fighting for dominance). Not good for people who are trying to use the sight for slow aimed fire, but NOTHING beats the OEG for speed at close quarters. I have one on my FAL, and it lets me spank people with fancy-schmantzy red-dots on target accqusition times.

Note that OEG-type sights are user-specific, and point-of-aim/ point-of-impact can be dramatically off if the same sight/weapon combo is used by different shooters.

All-in-all, not a bad choice for CQB. Thanks for the heads-up on H3 vials... my Armson is going dark after 10 years of use.

EDIT: Oooops! didn't see that it was an optical sight you had. Ignore the whole OEG thing.
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 10:01:51 PM EDT
[#33]
In for one @30-35, IM if/when
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 10:32:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Ok, looks like there's enough interest to justify going forward.  Unless there's an objection I'll go forward with consulting the mods and getting quotes.  It's not going to be a "tomorrow" thing, though.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 5:07:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Update: looking like no joy on a group buy going this route.  2 reasons - site staff are not willing to approve an overseas vendor, and the discounts didn't seem like enough based on the feedback here.

I can certainly see Site Staff's position, and if we were to convince someone like Primary Arms to sponsor it we would be good.  But there's just too much risk otherwise.  

As for the price, if we got over 20 orders the price would have been about $40-45, domestic shipping extra.

As for the original vendor I contacted him and he said they were a one time deal - bough from a "garage sale."  Doesn't expect to see them again.

Sorry folks.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:25:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Oh well.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 10:44:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well damn.  That's pretty cool.

I cant believe I just now found this thread.....pure fucking win
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 3:04:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Here is my mock up of what I plan on doing.  I made it quick with some 5/16 abs plastic sheet I had laying around.  My final product is going to be machined out of aluminum and the same width as the optic.  The best part, in my opinion, is that there is no modifications to the optic itself.  The fiber optic is supported by the abs block and nothing is glued to the sight.  On a side note, the gentleman who owns DS Solutions (where I bought my sight) is one of the nicest and most helpful people to buy from so don't hesitate to order one. (I am always very apprehensive of ordering from someone out of the country)

Link Posted: 3/20/2013 3:18:08 PM EDT
[#39]
So it looks like there is no practical way to get one of these now, aside from the EE. Is that right?
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 3:20:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
So it looks like there is no practical way to get one of these now, aside from the EE. Is that right?

Not at all.  DS Militaria has a whole bunch of them - they just aren't going to be $40 for 2.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 4:01:19 PM EDT
[#41]
I clicked the link and didn't find them.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 4:12:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I clicked the link and didn't find them.

Looks like he ran out - he had 5 left last week.  But in my correspondence with him he said he was getting 20 more in, and could get up to 50.  Probably just need to wait a couple of days.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 4:15:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Cool. Thanks. About how much were they going for? I'd like to try one on my 3 gun rifle.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 4:34:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Cool. Thanks. About how much were they going for? I'd like to try one on my 3 gun rifle.

Unfortunately 30-something pounds, which translated to $52 before shipping.  Hence the interest in a group buy, where we could get shipping down as well as a discount.

On a side note I've posted on the Primary Arms Industry Forum asking if they might be interested in either sponsoring a group buy or even adding these to their line.  I'll be honest; I'm not too hopeful - these are pretty low margin items.  But it doesn't hurt to ask.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 7:32:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Okay, thanks. It was attractive at $20-$30. I'd rather have an Aimpoint micro clone at $50.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 12:08:01 AM EDT
[#46]
That's similar to how I was going to do mine, but I got in a hurry and did the wrap thing. Still might redo it this way, as it makes the rod much more robust.

Quoted:
Here is my mock up of what I plan on doing.  I made it quick with some 5/16 abs plastic sheet I had laying around.  My final product is going to be machined out of aluminum and the same width as the optic.  The best part, in my opinion, is that there is no modifications to the optic itself.  The fiber optic is supported by the abs block and nothing is glued to the sight.  On a side note, the gentleman who owns DS Solutions (where I bought my sight) is one of the nicest and most helpful people to buy from so don't hesitate to order one. (I am always very apprehensive of ordering from someone out of the country)

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww62/phousley/IMG_1468.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww62/phousley/IMG_1469.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww62/phousley/IMG_1470.jpg

Link Posted: 3/21/2013 2:16:56 AM EDT
[#47]
I think my final design is going to be angled down a few degrees toward the front because if I have my eye close to the sight I can see a bit of the fiber optic end.  It really depends on what rifle it is going to go on, if I have to have 6" or more eye relief the rod is not visible.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 11:08:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Looks good. It will be interesting to see if you get more light reflected to the fiber with an aluminum block.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 11:21:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Where do you find that ABS plastic material at? I've never heard of it before and I think your idea is brilliant.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 1:14:40 PM EDT
[#50]
MikeE I got it from a local vacuum forming shop, but I just found 5/16 abs sheet on ebay and it looks like you can pick some up for a pretty good price.
Page / 7
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top