Link Posted: 3/7/2019 8:28:38 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 3/7/2019 8:34:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 8:35:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 9:17:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Those look WAY better than I was expecting.  Congrats Brownells.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 11:48:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep and a updated pistol grip would be great..
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 12:15:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Has  anyone tried tinting that brown stock darker with ritz or used motor oil.  Stock color needs a little dark character!!
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 11:46:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Dark brown leather dye may be another alternative for darkening the stock. I don't know what is in the stuff, but it will discolor darned near anything it touches.
Tom
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 12:40:26 AM EDT
[#8]
The new Brownells waffle magazine makes the BRN-10 look so much better!
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 11:36:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The new Brownells waffle magazine makes the BRN-10 look so much better!
View Quote
Indeed! Now we need the more correct pistol grip.

The new waffle mag might not be quite the right color. It has been awhile since I've seen a real AR10 mag but I recall they are a shiny black finish. But that's okay. The waffle pattern is what does it and someone could always Cerakote a mag gloss black if so desired.

I put 20 rounds through the waffle this morning. No issues whatsoever.

Link Posted: 3/10/2019 2:50:43 AM EDT
[#10]
The original magazines came in different finishes depending on the production date. The Portuguese had gloss black magazines while the earlier guns had a grey, less shiny finish. So the color is actually correct for this AR10 model
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 9:36:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The original magazines came in different finishes depending on the production date. The Portuguese had gloss black magazines while the earlier guns had a grey, less shiny finish. So the color is actually correct for this AR10 model
View Quote
??
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 11:14:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Original Armalite Waffle magazines with Original finish, showing variations in finish AND color:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 11:30:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Original Armalite Waffle magazines with Original finish, showing variations in finish AND color:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/432342/IMG_4958_JPG-872366.JPG
View Quote
??
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 12:02:09 PM EDT
[#14]
What did your target look like?

How was POI vs POA?
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 12:07:18 PM EDT
[#15]
On a related topic; has anyone thought about making a shroud with a bayonet lug? I'd think it would be pretty straightforward.

Link Posted: 3/10/2019 2:19:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
On a related topic; has anyone thought about making a shroud with a bayonet lug? I'd think it would be pretty straightforward.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/18199/PSX_20190310_090406-872419.jpg
View Quote
I just sent one off to a machinist friend today.  One of his customers asked for one to be made and will use my original as a pattern.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 2:21:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I just sent one off to a machinist friend today.  One of his customers asked for one to be made and will use my original as a pattern.
View Quote
Please update (with photos) if possible.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 9:25:18 PM EDT
[#18]
What an awesome way to use my tax return!!!!

I just received mine the other day and took it out for a spin this afternoon...I had stuck cases for the first three... pulled the rims off...After 20 rounds, the spent cases were ejecting nicely...I had boxes of Austrian Hirtenburger, Portuguese FM, South African, and Malaysian surplus ammo. accuracy was as expected at 200 yds. 2-3moa. One concern I have was that with the Malaysian surplus, I was getting light primer strikes. I have an Alex Pro Fab AR 308 and it fires it just fine...The question I have is are the firing pins from DPMS type rifles compatible with the BRN 10?  The reason I ask is that when I put the firing pins side by side, they are the same length but the front end where the firing pin steps down to the portion that goes through the bolt face is longer on the pin for the APF rifle.  Could it be possible to install a firing pin like the one in the APF rifle into the BRN-10 without the chance of a slam fire when the bolt goes into battery? The BRN 10 internals are compatible with DPMS type rifles, correct? Oh, I did swap out the trigger for an ALG Defense Combat Trigger ACT... This trigger breaks at 5lbs where the stock one broke at 6lbs....I didn't think that would be the cause of the light strikes.... My APF rifle the shoots Malaysian with no problem has a Geissele SSA-E two stage trigger.....

Link Posted: 3/22/2019 4:16:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Curious to know about the firing pin as well. I've stock piled a lot of Malaysian.

How are the current out going ar10s? I remember reading about a sights issue. Any update on the original pistol grip or if they'll do anything portuguese related? Like handguards, muzzle device, or telescoping charging handle?
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 7:53:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 9:36:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
I want one of those lol
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 9:43:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
They are a DPMS pattern on the inside.

That being said, if you are not comfortable with trying a different firing pin maybe you should contact Brownells for a warranty solution.

I have only shot Port surplus in mine so far. No issues.
View Quote
I did pull the firing pins out of both of them this morning. The one on the APF rifle is .010" longer than the BRN 10 one. My mistake; I should have measured them yesterday before I made the entry in this thread. I was loading the magazine 5 rounds at a time and 3 out of 5 were light strikes. I have some photos I'll upload....I did send an email to Brownells for some input...
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 9:52:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I did pull the firing pins out of both of them this morning. The one on the APF rifle is .010" longer than the BRN 10 one. My mistake; I should have measured them yesterday before I made the entry in this thread. I was loading the magazine 5 rounds at a time and 3 out of 5 were light strikes. I have some photos I'll upload....I did send an email to Brownells for some input...
View Quote
" />

" />

" />
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 12:15:57 PM EDT
[#24]
I've shot 700 rounds of nothing but malaysian surplus and have had no light primer strikes, maybe you should put the original trigger back in and try before you worry about firing pins
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 12:42:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 1:19:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Did you measure from the front of the stopping shoulder to the tip? Because that is the operative dimension.

Also, maybe give the inside of the bolt head a really good scrub as there could be grease/crud impeding full protrusion.
View Quote
I'll do that tonight.. Thanks
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 1:24:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I've shot 700 rounds of nothing but malaysian surplus and have had no light primer strikes, maybe you should put the original trigger back in and try before you worry about firing pins
View Quote
I've thought of that too. I just thought since the ALG trigger is by no means a match trigger, the spring wouldn't be too light. I'm going to change that also to compare this weekend....
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 7:26:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Does anyone know if the BRN-10’s are going to start shipping with hand guards that have heat shields on them like the ones on the PROTO rifle? They look like the same handguard on the BRN-10 and the PROTO.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 9:48:09 PM EDT
[#29]
here is the one I made...Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 10:41:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Are the front sight posts still super short?
I've seen the Gen2 picture but that is still very short.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 12:10:51 AM EDT
[#31]
That looks pretty nice! Would you happen to be making any more?  And it was the Sudanese that used the barrel shroud right?  Was the flash hider integrated into the shroud as well?

EDIT: A quick google image search tells me no.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 12:54:50 PM EDT
[#32]
The Guatemalan AR10s had the vented shroud and FH.  Sudanese were the same but with no vent holes.  The FH screws on and the shroud is pinned on.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 7:25:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Can you post a photo of the entire rifle with the bayonet affixed?
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 6:06:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
I swapped the triggers back to the original and didn't have one failure to fire.... Actually the trigger got better the more I shot it...
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 9:06:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 2:04:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Why not use the same Space Age philosophy ArmaLite had back then and make the but stock/handguard/pistol grip from carbon fiber,in a multitude of colours?
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 9:21:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Wanting to paint my furniture with the kona brown, and trying to disassemble my black A1 stock. Knocked out roll pill holding in sling swivel, and the top of the butt plate where the receiver extension screw holds it down can be somewhat pried away from the stock, but at the bottom end, it seems more rigid, but there obviously isn't a screw there like on an A2 butt plate.  What's holding it together inside, and do I just need to pull/pry harder, or is there a catch I need to disengage?  Thought better to ask before forcing it and potentially breaking any retaining clasp.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 9:25:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Wanting to paint my furniture with the kona brown, and trying to disassemble my black A1 stock. Knocked out roll pill holding in sling swivel, and the top of the butt plate where the receiver extension screw holds it down can be somewhat pried away from the stock, but at the bottom end, it seems more rigid, but there obviously isn't a screw there like on an A2 butt plate.  What's holding it together inside, and do I just need to pull/pry harder, or is there a catch I need to disengage?  Thought better to ask before forcing it and potentially breaking any retaining clasp.  Thanks!
View Quote
I just painted mine in kona brown.  I didn't disassemble the buttstock, just carefully put blue painters tape around the but pad and sling swivel and a paper towel in the extension tube hole.  Still drying, but I plan on putting pictures up soon.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 9:39:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
The buttplate has a sort of hook at the bottom that holds it onto the stock. Just slide the buttpllate upwards relative to the stock, and it should release.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 7:55:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The buttplate has a sort of hook at the bottom that holds it onto the stock. Just slide the buttpllate upwards relative to the stock, and it should release.
View Quote

Perfect! Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 7:16:48 PM EDT
[#41]

If you're looking to darken your retro furniture, my suggestion is brown RIT dye. Worked for me and my ArmaLite AR10B.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 8:18:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 5:31:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

How did you apply the dye?
View Quote
Boil water in a pot. Once boiling, add dye, stir, then submerge stripped parts. Check them often to color match. Rinse with water in the sink.
For larger parts like the handguards, you might need to get creative and use the sink in order to get them completely submerged. Boil a lot of water, and while boiling, warm the sink up so that it won't instantly sap great from the boiled water. Pour boiling water in, add dye, add parts.
RIT dark brown is the one that you want. $2-4 locally at basically any store.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 12:55:27 AM EDT
[#44]
What would the correct sight in/zero procedure for these rifles?
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 8:30:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 5:06:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Put the dial at 8/3 and use an allen wrench to loosen the set screw from the rear for windage.

You will probably only have 1-2 clicks to go lower on the elevation.

If you want to mess with the way the dial is set up it adjusts the same as an M16A2, with a set screw through the top hole in front of the aperture.
View Quote
Mine can go 9 clicks down from the 8/3 setting.

At what distance should I zero the rifle at with the 8/3 setting, anything closer than 300(25? or 30?).

Are the numbers in yards or meters?

Is it possible to implement a RIBZ for this sight like the we can do for the A2?
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 11:03:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Yep and a updated pistol grip would be great..
View Quote
It's taking A While.  And if I may be honest, the placeholder image in the catalog doesn't look good/right to my eyes.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 11:34:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 12:56:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

It's taking A While.  And if I may be honest, the placeholder image in the catalog doesn't look good/right to my eyes.
View Quote
They just put up a video showing the new grip. I'd bet them having the change the top width is why the grip looks lightly off.
Grip part starts at min 5:30, not sure why its not letting me embed with a starting point.

New Products: Swarovski dS Scope, HK VP9 Long Slide & Brownells BRN-10 Grip
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 2:11:21 PM EDT
[#50]
I think the grip looks g2g, would love to see what it looks like on the rifle.
Page / 18
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top