BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 18
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 8:55:56 AM EDT
[#1]
My plan is to wait until the guys on this site say it is correct.
Please keep posting.
It appears that BROWNELLS saying is correct may or may not be correct.
I really do want 2+ of these.
Money has been set aside for them, but I don't like playing games.
I have a couple of friends waiting also.
Have a nice day!
RON
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 5:00:00 PM EDT
[#2]
What are you guys using for retro mags while waiting for the Brownell's mags to be released?

How do these work? Not waffled like the original Armalite but maybe they look different enough to look good with the BRN10?

http://www.dh-tactical.com/mag-65-Creedmoor.html
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 5:28:37 PM EDT
[#3]
They are probably using the 20 round mag that came with rifle...Bill
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 6:26:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They are probably using the 20 round mag that came with rifle...Bill
View Quote
Lol. Yes I suppose so.

So is there anything available now with a waffle type pattern that will work in these rifles?
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 6:50:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Lol. Yes I suppose so.

So is there anything available now with a waffle type pattern that will work in these rifles?
View Quote
With minor modification, the Original Armalite waffle mags work (and look) great in the BRN10 rifles.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 8:25:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
With minor modification, the Original Armalite waffle mags work (and look) great in the BRN10 rifles.
View Quote
I assume you mean to modify the rifle to fit the magazine?  After all, the waffles existing first>?!
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 8:31:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I assume you mean to modify the rifle to fit the magazine?  After all, the waffles existing first>?!
View Quote
It is not practical to modify the rifle, and the mags are very easy to modify (they would will still work fine in an original AR10 even after modification). There are probably 300-500 Original AR10 magazines on the market for every original AR10 out there, so I doubt it will affect the supply.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 8:57:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

...and the mags are very easy to modify...
View Quote
Got a pic?
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 9:17:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Got a pic?
View Quote
I posted a thread complete with photos if you search the archives
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 9:21:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It is not practical to modify the rifle, and the mags are very easy to modify (they would will still work fine in an original AR10 even after modification). There are probably 300-500 Original AR10 magazines on the market for every original AR10 out there, so I doubt it will affect the supply.
View Quote
Forgive my poor attempt at humor.  The mags were meant to be disposable.  Left to rot on the jungle floor.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 10:45:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Been looking to get one for awhile so I just took the plunge on a BRN-10A.

I've been watching them on sale for $1449 and today I noticed Brownells had a coupon for another 10% off so that took me down to $1314.91 delivered.Went though Ebates to buy it so that gave me another 2.5% off so I should end up with a cost of $1281 after the rebate.Couldn't pass it up for that price.We'll see how it works.I guess at the worst I'll send it back.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 11:15:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Are the new front sight posts really taped as shown in Mrgunsngear's new video released today? I have the first variety, and still need to fire it and see if it will zero properly.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 11:49:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Are the new front sight posts really taped as shown in Mrgunsngear's new video released today? I have the first variety, and still need to fire it and see if it will zero properly.
View Quote
??? tapered ???

Brownells Retro BRN-10A Armalite AR-10 7.62x51 Clone Rifle Review
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 12:42:30 AM EDT
[#14]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
??? tapered ???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCLDh5o_mRc
Yeah, see the vid around 3:50.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 2:12:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yeah, see the vid around 3:50.
View Quote
Go to the previous page and look at the updated, taller, front sight post.
The one in the video is the older generation, and it is super tiny.
The new one is still way short.

I've had both the A and B model, and they both have inherent sight issues which won't allow me to properly sight in the rifles.
B model was shooting 4" right at 100 with sights maxed, while the A was doing 10-12" high at 100 with rear sight bottomed out.

I've since returned both for a refund.
I will wait for them to come out with an even taller front sight post and corrects the inherent design flaw to the current rear sight.

I really want to love these BRN10 rifles, but at least for the 2 rifles I had, it is impossible to enjoy them.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 10:28:26 AM EDT
[#16]
I know Pmags will not work with the BRN-10 but what about Lancer mags?Has anybody tried them?
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 10:55:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I know Pmags will not work with the BRN-10 but what about Lancer mags?Has anybody tried them?
View Quote
Lancers are a NO GO.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 11:04:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Lancers are a NO GO.
View Quote

Thanks for the quick response.DPMS mags it is.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 11:47:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Thanks for the quick response.DPMS mags it is.
View Quote
Don't like the Brownell's aluminum?
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 12:09:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Don't like the Brownell's aluminum?
View Quote
I thought I read somewhere that they weren't reliable.If they are I would certainly buy them.Please enlighten me.Thanks
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 12:24:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Upon further review it looks like the Brownells made BRN-10/DPMS/SR-25  mags have been discontinued.

That leaves my options at steel ProMags,steel Mag-Tec or steel DPMS.
We all know ProMags overall reputation--.
I know nothing about Mag-Tec.
The description for the ProMag and Mag-Tec says they will work in DPMS/SR25 type rifles but doesn't mention the BRN-10.
The description for the BRN-10 only says PMAGS will not work and DPMS will work but mentions no other mags.
I'll shoot Brownells a message and see what they say.

Thanks for all the help.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 12:36:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Upon further review it looks like the Brownells made BRN-10/DPMS/SR-25  mags have been discontinued.
View Quote
I didn't know the Brownell's aluminum mags had been dropped. That's interesting.

I wonder about these especially since they have a somewhat waffled pattern:

https://www.brownells.com/magazines/rifle-magazines/magazines/ar-308-magazines-prod95440.aspx
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 12:39:13 PM EDT
[#23]
There is also the C-Products mags, MrGunsAndGear said they ran better for him than the Brownells mags.

Cheaper Than Dirt Link
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 12:41:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I didn't know the Brownell's aluminum mags had been dropped. That's interesting.

https://www.brownells.com/magazines/rifle-magazines/magazines/ar-308-magazines-prod95440.aspx
View Quote
Me either, I have one I haven't shot with yet, but it works fine hand cycling it. I have heard a few people say the mags are not reliable so maybe they are tweaking the manufacturing process and will re-launch them?
They could also be trying to push the soon to be released waffle mags.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 12:42:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 12:44:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

They could also be trying to push the soon to be released waffle mags.
View Quote
What's the status on these? They will hopefully launch at SHOT. Anyone know otherwise?

Other options include Larue and KAC if someone has deep pockets.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 9:15:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Last time I heard they were going to release around Shot Show—I had a pre-order open for them up until a day or two ago, but I cancelled because I realized I actually have enough original AR-10 magazines modified to work in my rifle.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 12:48:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That leaves my options at steel ProMags,steel Mag-Tec or steel DPMS.
We all know ProMags overall reputation--.
I know nothing about Mag-Tec.
The description for the ProMag and Mag-Tec says they will work in DPMS/SR25 type rifles but doesn't mention the BRN-10.
The description for the BRN-10 only says PMAGS will not work and DPMS will work but mentions no other mags.
I'll shoot Brownells a message and see what they say.

Thanks for all the help.
View Quote
Oddly, I have 3 ProMags for 2 different platforms, and they all run fine, even in firearms they were never intended for.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 1:27:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Any range reports from new purchases with the higher sights?  Can you zero at 100 yards?  I really want to get one once corrected. The build quality and feel of the one I returned was great.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 3:03:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Any range reports from new purchases with the higher sights?  Can you zero at 100 yards?  I really want to get one once corrected. The build quality and feel of the one I returned was great.
View Quote
When I took mine to the range, I started out using a 6'oclock hold the way I was taught. The rifle shot to point of aim (very low for a 6'oclock hold) so I adjusted accordingly. There was more than enough windage and elevation...Bill
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 7:06:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Picked up my 10A today from ffl. It was really lathered in grease, took a can of brake clean to get it all off. Lubed it up and ran it wet. I was using brownells mag and CPD mags. Had a few failure to feed with both mags at the

beginning but it settled down after about 40 rounds. I was shooting Malaysian surplus. Recoil is a little more than my FAL and M1A but the rifle is lighter than those two. I have a range on my property with 12 inch steel at 100

and 200 yards. The rifle came with the higher front sight and the peep was centered, without even sighting on paper and using a center hold no problem hitting all the steel. I'll fine tune it tomorrow but this rifle is right on.

The CPD mags which are stainless steel are a lot nicer than Brownells aluminum. I'm real pleased with the rifle, fit and finish is exellent
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 7:32:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Still available on Brownells.https://www.brownells.com/magazines/rifle-magazines/magazines/ar-308-20rd-magazine-308-winchester-prod71942.aspx
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 7:56:48 PM EDT
[#33]
They must have just come back in stock because last week they said discontinued.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 10:36:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Anyone shot a newer BRN-10 rifle yet?

Have he front sight issue(s) been corrected?
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 10:56:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

They must have just come back in stock because last week they said discontinued.
View Quote
These mags are showing out of stock and discontinued for me.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 3:09:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Any update on the pistol grip?
Anyone heard anything about Brownells selling the Brn10 safety separately?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 9:46:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

So it has officially been confirmed by Brownell's via the industry section:

We will be transitioning to solely selling the 308 Waffle Magazine. The current 20rd will be discontinued once existing inventory is exhausted.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 9:44:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Anyone shot a newer BRN-10 rifle yet?

Have he front sight issue(s) been corrected?
View Quote
Yes, I have one and like it. I haven’t shot it much, just enough to zero and that’s it, so I can’t really say anything about accuracy or reliablity, except that it is accurate enough to zero and reliable enough to go through one full mag of M80 ball.

I’m wondering if Brownells will have handguards with heat shields at some point. The BRN-10 that I have has no heat shields and while i haven’t shot it enough to say that it’ll need them, I just want them. I noticed that the Proto has brown handguards with heat shields.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 9:54:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

So it has officially been confirmed by Brownell's via the industry section:
View Quote
I have a waffle mag on backorder. Hopefully it’ll come in soon.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 10:00:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I have a waffle mag on backorder. Hopefully it’ll come in soon.
View Quote
Any word on the new pistol grip?
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 12:12:44 AM EDT
[#41]
I had one of these contraptions on order a year or so ago but cancelled it when there was confusion over what front sights Brownell’s was going to use and when. Then there was the well known issue with front sights being too short and misaligned, so I waited that out as well.  But eventually all that seemed to be straightened out, so I placed a 10B on order a bit less than a month ago.

And Brownells had it out the door to me within two days, pretty snappy service.

Looked pretty good upon arrival.  There were some punch marks around the front sight dowel pin so I’m guessing that had been changed out for the “newer” design, or maybe they’d employed a 5-year old to hammer in the pin.  A little cold blue quickly subdued those marks.  The butt stock sounded quite hollow when tapped.  I didn’t like the sound, so removed the butt plate and filled the cavity with spray foam insulation.  Sounded more better afterward.  And the trigger was absolutely wretched at 8.5 pounds.  I had a LaRue MBT trigger sitting unused in the drawer and swapped it out;  much more better than the original.

The stiff retraction of the bolt carrier group reported by others is certainly present in this rifle, but seems to be getting better over time.  Balance and handling are pretty dang good.

The weather finally co-operated for a range trip on Saturday.  Ran 20 rounds of my “light bullet” 308 loads thru the gun without any malfunctions.  This is a 125-grain Speer TNT hollow point flat base bullet over a moderate charge of IMR 4895 in a RP case with a Winchester LR primer to set it all in motion.  That load has worked quite well in every other 308/762 rifle I’ve ever had so that’s kinda my gold standard.  Empty cases were tossed about 5 feet out toward 2 o’clock, landing in a nice little pile and nice, consistently round 2” groups appeared on target at 100-yards.  This shooting prone un-supported and I forgot to bring my shooting glasses so my sight picture was not good.  In my alternative universe, we call that good enough.

With the rear sight all the way down, center of the groups was about 3” high at 100-yards which should put impacts pretty close to point of aim at 200-yards.  I suppose some folks would whine about not getting point of aim = point of impact at 100-yards but not me; that’s a nice practical zero in my opinion.  Windage was a bit different story.  You have to loosen the rear aperture and slide it over and it’s easy to slide too much.  I’d forgotten my calipers too, so there was some unnecessary back-n-forth getting centered up, but no problem with the windage adjustment range of the rear sight being too short either way.

So, I’d say Brownell's has their little issues corrected and it’s a keeper, with my only serious complaint the original trigger.  $1500 (+,-) and that’s the best Brownell’s can do?  Well, they aren’t the only ones shipping miserable triggers nowadays and at least it was easily corrected.

I expect after Brownell’s sends out the new pistol grips they've promised everybody, I’ll end up shipping the furniture to John Thomas for the “prototype” paint job he does so well.  On the other hand, Mike at NDS reports that Rustoleum Kona Brown looks pretty good, so may have to give that a shot first.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 1:38:20 AM EDT
[#42]
The genuine Dutch AR10s were not known for their smooth triggers so I guess Brownells got it right.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 5:11:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Got my buddy's BRN-10B out to the range today!

It's a lot harder on my shoulder than my FAL.

It's a little low and right at 21 yards, didn't try adjusting the sight.

Just blasting away we got most of it in the minute-of-bad-guy area.

Being more careful I got a "meh" group but it was centered.

I think the sights are WAY too low and that makes me feel scrunched on the stock to get a sight picture.

On the plus side, only the very first shot gave us any trouble and that was easily cleared with the charging handle.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 8:30:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Looks like the waffle mags are shipping! Got a notice for 5 today :D
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 8:59:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sweet! Post a pic when you get them.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 9:27:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep. Got my notice too.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 9:49:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Has anyone gotten nitice yet of the 25 round prototype mags shipping?
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 1:35:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Has anyone gotten nitice yet of the 25 round prototype mags shipping?
View Quote
Not yet. Did Brownells list a target date for release?
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 3:50:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 5:42:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
Have you received the mags yet? Tracking says my sample will be delivered tomorrow.
Page / 18
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top