BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/20/2018 8:29:04 PM EDT
Getting more and more interested in building an AR in .357 rimless, but can't find a barrel seller-anyone know what companies are selling them?
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:51:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 4:37:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Where to?

Steve.......
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:11:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where to?

Steve.......
View Quote
I originally posted it in either build it yourself or variants(don't remember which).
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:48:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I have heard of 357 max, but as a rimmed revolver cartridge.  What what gun was the auto rim cartridge originally designed for?   And what magazines would you use?
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:18:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Starline sells a .223 "Basic" case which is a straight unnecked .223, about 1.8" long which can be used to form the 357 Max AR or 357 Max rimless.

I only know one guy that was selling barrels:

TheARGuy

As for magazines, I would start with the Magpul 300 blackout mags, if they are out yet:

Pmag 300
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:48:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have heard of 357 max, but as a rimmed revolver cartridge.  What what gun was the auto rim cartridge originally designed for?   And what magazines would you use?
View Quote
Rimless uses a .223/5.56 case, blown out to straight wall and cut to Magnum or Maximum length. 5.56 magazines, modification may or may not be needed depending on the individual gun.Getting to the point where I may have to get a .357 barrel blank and have it made into an AR barrel.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:51:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Starline sells a .223 "Basic" case which is a straight unnecked .223, about 1.8" long which can be used to form the 357 Max AR or 357 Max rimless.

I only know one guy that was selling barrels:

TheARGuy

As for magazines, I would start with the Magpul 300 blackout mags, if they are out yet:

Pmag 300
View Quote
Thanks! Wasn't worried about magazines, figured that would be the easy part was planning on Pmags or similar.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 1:31:14 AM EDT
[#8]
regular mags, basically a 35 cal AR that could use a wide array of 357 diameter handgun bullets, and w/o having the hassles of bottle neck cartridges.

You plan to make this like a sub/supersonic thing?  What is the niche exactly again??
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 9:00:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You plan to make this like a sub/supersonic thing?  What is the niche exactly again??
View Quote
Deer rifle in a straight-wall caliber state. I want something that not very many people are likely to have.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 2:20:10 PM EDT
[#10]
i see.

I suppose you intend to use a 16" barrel.  What bullet do you plan to use and at what expected muzzle velocity?
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 2:56:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I wish someone would make a 44 version in this concept. Maybe use 308 brass with the neck/shoulders cut off and make it a 445 SuperAutoMag. Daydreaming I'm sure.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 8:39:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I wish someone would make a 44 version in this concept. Maybe use 308 brass with the neck/shoulders cut off and make it a 445 SuperAutoMag. Daydreaming I'm sure.
View Quote
.45 Raptor is pretty close but requires moving up to an AR10 type action due to pressure levels. Cut .308/.30-06 to length and use .460S&W data.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 8:43:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
i see.

I suppose you intend to use a 16" barrel.  What bullet do you plan to use and at what expected muzzle velocity?
View Quote
That's to be decided. At this point I'm deciding if I want it badly enough to spend money on it-haven't gone any deeper into the project than looking for barrel availability after hearing it's being done.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 10:46:17 AM EDT
[#14]
@shack357

Development is coming along.

There was a reamer issue with a batch of barrels but that has been resolved.

I may get a barrel in the 357AR at some point. Doesn't do anything my cat won't do performance wise & I can run subs.

There's an open order for barrels right now if you want one. Closing it on Monday, so if you want one PM & I'll get you the contact info.

Oh & LOL, the guy making the barrels is in IA.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 8:08:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Guy in MN built a few of these he’s not an FFL so can’t sell anything

I tried to build one. Got reamer from mason .357 bbl from green mountain

Biggest problem I had couldn’t get it to feed would always hang up going into chamber. Eventually gave up

Here’s a link to my discussion with guy who invented it

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?343428-357-ar-any-ideas

Good luck I couldn’t get it working
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 10:20:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Biggest problem I had couldn’t get it to feed would always hang up going into chamber. Eventually gave up

View Quote
Friend of mine went that route-hasn't cut the chamber yet but if he gets one working it would definitely save money on barrel cost. We've got a Lee mold for .358 bullets(I say we because he bought a bunch of castiong equipment and I got several hundred pounds of lead, and we share) that's sharply pointed, add a gas check and the point might help feeding. It makes bullets that look like the "armor piercing" 9MM from Lethal Weapon 3. Have the same mold for .45 too.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 9:36:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Hmm... I've been doing as much reading into the 357 mag/max rimless. I've always wanted a 357 mag rifle, with the sole purpose of suppressing. Eventually I will get a lever gun to suppress, but a rimless mag/max fed from an AR would be pretty legit.

So, since the cartridge is a cut down and blown out 556/223 trimmed down to mag or max length, in theory a reloader with a basic press (like a Square Deal B) to reload this round? No special equipment required beyond a case trimmer?
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 10:12:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Hmm... I've been doing as much reading into the 357 mag/max rimless. I've always wanted a 357 mag rifle, with the sole purpose of suppressing. Eventually I will get a lever gun to suppress, but a rimless mag/max fed from an AR would be pretty legit.

So, since the cartridge is a cut down and blown out 556/223 trimmed down to mag or max length, in theory a reloader with a basic press (like a Square Deal B) to reload this round? No special equipment required beyond a case trimmer?
View Quote
Annealed brass, case trimmer, .357 dies, .223 shellholder.

ETA-forgot to mention the expander.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 9:38:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 10:46:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Looked at the thread Dan (Moleman)had on cast boolits....I'll give him a shout and if I can borrow the reamer I'll make a couple of barrels , I think I see something that could help with feeding, I'd be willing to do a run of barrels if enough interest arises.....
View Quote
Always looking for another source, it's an idea that won't go away.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 11:33:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Look @ the ejector, it sounds like it may be a tad high and catching on the rim.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 12:29:12 AM EDT
[#22]
A rimless .357 Maximum would get my interest. That would make a potent carbine or SBR package especially with all the bullet selection available.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 7:39:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 10:32:42 PM EDT
[#24]
deleted
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:53:41 AM EDT
[#25]
I'd contemplating building an upper, although it would seem you could gain some case capacity making as long as possible to fit the AR Magazine, besides unknown load data, why make it shorter? I'd love to see what kind of velocities I could get with a 180 TTSX Barnes Bullet.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 7:48:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Check out Mad Dog Weapons.

The 357 AR is not in their wildcat list but is discussed in their forum.

Lots of interest for southern Michigan AR hunters.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 2:48:46 PM EDT
[#27]
I want to say moleman made himself a custom set of web expanders basically a machined rod that goes into the reloading press that swages the web of the case out to make it a true straightwall case. if you just stuff a 38/357 bullet in cut off brass there is a reverse taper in the case. I'm not sure if fireforming would fully fix this.

ETA: found it

the first expander wouldn't be necessary on a 357 mag length case but the second I believe is/was
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 5:01:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Man a Lot of work for That Cal!!!

How bout .38 Super in a AR Pistol platform ????   Back in The Day IPSC hosers we’re making major PF 1500fps from a 5” 1911 from a 125gr bullet.   Ya near ragged edge SAAMI specs    Not sure bout OAL and magazines for AR.  Hey a mind is a terrible thing!

H
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 5:46:43 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a 357 magnum upper.  It’s fun, anything in particular you’d like to know?

It’s reliable, slow fire.   Uses DE magazines.  Standard lower, H buffer, standard spring.

I shoot with FMJ ammo.  I’d say 90%+ suppressed.

It’s an SBR.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 6:59:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have a 357 magnum upper.  It’s fun, anything in particular you’d like to know?

It’s reliable, slow fire.   Uses DE magazines.  Standard lower, H buffer, standard spring.

I shoot with FMJ ammo.  I’d say 90%+ suppressed.

It’s an SBR.
View Quote
similar..but not the same. This idea uses standard ar magazines and a 5.56 bolt. But performance would be very similar since load data is the same.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 7:09:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Starline has straightwall .223 cases.... so that would be a fair bit easier

https://www.starlinebrass.com/brass-cases/223-Basic/
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 7:52:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Starline has straightwall .223 cases.... so that would be a fair bit easier

https://www.starlinebrass.com/brass-cases/223-Basic/
View Quote
That's the plan. Save some work.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 8:01:21 PM EDT
[#33]
I need to get a barrel, then the rest will start to come together
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 8:36:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
similar..but not the same. This idea uses standard ar magazines and a 5.56 bolt. But performance would be very similar since load data is the same.
View Quote
I read the title as 357 maximum or 357 magnum.  Cheers.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 9:09:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I read the title as 357 maximum or 357 magnum.  Cheers.
View Quote
Not a problem, I like the idea of your setup too, and have toyed with the idea in the past(as well as .44 automag). Learned about the rimless version last year when IA legalized straight wall rifle calibers for deer hunting, and have wanted one since then. Won't have it built by this year's gun season though. Looks like the .45-70 gets to go out again.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 10:43:57 PM EDT
[#36]
What will this do that the .300 BO will not?  I take it this is a 357 magnum stuffed into a straight walled .223 case.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 10:51:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
What will this do that the .300 BO will not?  I take it this is a 357 magnum stuffed into a straight walled .223 case.
View Quote
Be legal for deer hunting in Iowa.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 10:14:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Its a 357 Maximum stuffed in a .223 Straight wall case, you can also go the route of .358 rifle bullets and still fit in AR mags
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:40:21 PM EDT
[#39]
It's happening. Just got the barrel ordered. More than I wanted to spend on a barrel, but with custom stuff you take what you can get sometimes.
Would like to build this one on a side charging upper but  not sure if that part is going to work out or not.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 12:25:02 PM EDT
[#40]
With my 450, the upper wasn't completely polished and the the forward assist was out of spec so it didn't work, really frustrating since the first round would often get hung up, its necessary in my opinion with the big bore cartridges. Where did you get your barrel, and what specs are on it. Interested in what you try out for loads and what you can get out of them....
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 12:35:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
With my 450, the upper wasn't completely polished and the the forward assist was out of spec so it didn't work, really frustrating since the first round would often get hung up, its necessary in my opinion with the big bore cartridges. Where did you get your barrel, and what specs are on it. Interested in what you try out for loads and what you can get out of them....
View Quote
Ordered the barrel from Mad Dog Weapon Systems. Details here. Now I'm looking for a good price on a side charging upper, just because. As for what loads and such, it's probably going to be a slow build but I'll get it done eventually.

ETA-tracking shows the barrel is out for delivery today, so he ships fast too.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:10:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Got it built. Now to decide on a scope and make ammo.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 3:08:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Congrats!

Where’d you source the wood components?

I’m still trying to talk myself into getting a barrel, but it just doesn’t do anything I can’t already do with my cat. Only with mine I can run sub 250grn loaded to 2.26” & I can run super 250grn RN’s.

I honestly feel if I’m going to invest in another 35cal AR15 it will be a Yeti, but that’s because there’s a soft spot in my heart because it was my concept & it kicks ass.

I’m really grooving on the old/new wood-grain & side charger! Kudos man, kudos indeed.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 7:51:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Congrats!

Where’d you source the wood components?

I’m still trying to talk myself into getting a barrel, but it just doesn’t do anything I can’t already do with my cat. Only with mine I can run sub 250grn loaded to 2.26” & I can run super 250grn RN’s.

I honestly feel if I’m going to invest in another 35cal AR15 it will be a Yeti, but that’s because there’s a soft spot in my heart because it was my concept & it kicks ass.

I’m really grooving on the old/new wood-grain & side charger! Kudos man, kudos indeed.
View Quote
Thanks. The wood is from Boyd's. Several colors available,as well as straight walnut instead of laminate.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 4:18:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 7:49:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
That's a great look you got there OP.
View Quote
Thanks. Now have a decision to make. Just got a Magnum Research .22 magnum in trade, has a Leupold Vari-X1 in the power range I wanted for this build(2-7). Thinking about putting that scope on this, and buying something else for the MR.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 11:16:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 1:50:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Ordered the barrel from Mad Dog Weapon Systems. Details here. Now I'm looking for a good price on a side charging upper, just because. As for what loads and such, it's probably going to be a slow build but I'll get it done eventually.

ETA-tracking shows the barrel is out for delivery today, so he ships fast too.
View Quote
Love that wood I think the laminate looks better on an AR than walnut would. Its kind of an AK look. Now we need them to make a Dragunov style AR stock out of wood.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 9:04:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Love that wood I think the laminate looks better on an AR than walnut would. Its kind of an AK look. Now we need them to make a Dragunov style AR stock out of wood.
View Quote
I like that idea...or maybe something similar to the thumbhole stock the little girl shoots on The Professional. Don't know why but I've always wanted that stock.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 8:21:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Man a Lot of work for That Cal!!!

How bout .38 Super in a AR Pistol platform ????   Back in The Day IPSC hosers we’re making major PF 1500fps from a 5” 1911 from a 125gr bullet.   Ya near ragged edge SAAMI specs    Not sure bout OAL and magazines for AR.  Hey a mind is a terrible thing!

H
View Quote
9x23mm Winchester would work better, as the .38 Super has a semi-rimmed case, and doesn't play well with double stack magazines.

There is a shortage of magazines that will work well with the 9x23 length cartridge.  The PPS 43 mag is one possibiliity, though.  It will hold 34 rounds of 9x23.  Seems like it would feed them well, and there have been magazine blocks available.

The PPS 43 magazine is a bit too long for the 9x23, however.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top