Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2022 2:09:14 AM EDT
Anybody tried these out that Rob Ski is pimping?

I picked up 5, they seem like good quality. One of them would not lock in and I had to file the rear lug a bit to get it to clear the paddle.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 5:33:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Guessing Ur Talking About These: Bulgarian AK47 30rd Steel Magazines!

From the Ad: Beautifully made, Bulgarian AK47 type magazines. This is new production, those aren’t surplus mags!

Newly Made Mags for the Commercial Market. I Have a Few I Got from Other Vendors. Some Say They Aren't as Thick as Surplus Mags and Usually Have a Plastic Follower & Base Retainer Plate.

To Me It's a Useable AK Mag.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 2:03:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By huntsman45:
Guessing Ur Talking About These: Bulgarian AK47 30rd Steel Magazines!

From the Ad: Beautifully made, Bulgarian AK47 type magazines. This is new production, those aren’t surplus mags!

Newly Made Mags for the Commercial Market. I Have a Few I Got from Other Vendors. Some Say They Aren't as Thick as Surplus Mags and Usually Have a Plastic Follower & Base Retainer Plate.

To Me It's a Useable AK Mag.
View Quote

Yes! Sorry for the lack of a link. I don't think these have any plastic I'll have to look.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 2:02:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Those are probably going to have the plastic pieces mentioned above. That said they're great mags but you probably could have saved a few bucks getting them from a different vendor.

There's also a version that has a 2 piece rear lug which I wouldn't want. Some of the really crappy Korean mags had the same design.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 3:40:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Shiff:
Those are probably going to have the plastic pieces mentioned above. That said they're great mags but you probably could have saved a few bucks getting them from a different vendor.

There's also a version that has a 2 piece rear lug which I wouldn't want. Some of the really crappy Korean mags had the same design.
View Quote

Mine didn't have plastic baseplate, I'll have to check followers but they're loaded currently. I saw they were cheaper at Atlantic I think after I bought them but honestly I'm happy to support AKOU.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 1:30:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By AS556:

Mine didn't have plastic baseplate, I'll have to check followers but they're loaded currently. I saw they were cheaper at Atlantic I think after I bought them but honestly I'm happy to support AKOU.
View Quote

Not the baseplate but the retainer for the baseplate. The little nub hanging out the bottom.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 2:33:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Not the baseplate but the retainer for the baseplate. The little nub hanging out the bottom.
View Quote

Oh, gotcha. I will check and report back.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 6:07:56 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

Follower also is plastic. They seem pretty nice but have not tried mine out at the range yet.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 8:24:20 PM EDT
[#8]
These are the Bulgarian commercial steel magazines that have been discussed many times here and have proven to be great quality, near-replicas of the classic COMBLOC design. I believe at some point years ago, the word was that these were being built by a commercial company using original military tooling.

They have been available from GunMagWarehouse for years, on sale right now for $13.99 (they’re almost always on sale at GMW):

Bulgarian AK-47 7.62x39mm 30-Round Steel Magazine

I’d like to support AKOU, but that’s a considerable price difference when ordering multiple magazines.

I haven’t seen anyone actually measure to confirm the often-repeated statement that they are made of thinner steel than surplus military mags. In two previous threads, another user and I found that the stripped mag bodies weighed the same as sample surplus mags:

A comparison between current production bulgarian magazines and Combloc

Mags?

The total weight of the commercial mag is slightly less than a surplus mag because of the plastic follower and locking plate. I don’t have any issue with them having plastic followers. Bulgarian Circle 10s, the gold standard of polymer AK mags, also use plastic followers, as do GI AR mags, of course. The plastic locking plate in the bottom of the mag could be a minor weak point, but I think only in that it might get damaged while assembling or disassembling the magazine (like if you accidentally sheared off the locking nub somehow). During regular use, there’s not really any force on the locking plate that I could see damaging it.

I think these are a great, affordable option now that cheap surplus mags seem to have dried up.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top