Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2019 11:26:17 AM EDT
Another which one question...

New Commercial Bulgarian for $11.95 (free shipping $75)

Used “Good to Very Good” East European for $14.95 (Plus shipping)

Or

Hungarian Surplus “Excellent Condition” for $24.99 plus shipping

Would like some more E German, but can’t find any...

Thanks,
D
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 8:57:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I would go with the new Bulgarian Steel mag's. Mine will not be in till Thursday yet the reviews are good. Plus the free shipping is a plus.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 10:19:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 7:54:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would go with the used mags as I know nothing about the newly made mags.

The Cold War Chicom mags are the best available IMHO.
View Quote
The new mags have a metal body and baseplate. But a polymer follower and spring baseplate. Mine arrived today. At the price point I couldn’t say no. Plus they are packed to store very well if that’s your thing. I will get to try one on Friday.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 12:18:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 12:57:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I ended up ordering the new Bulgarian ones.  For $11.99 I could not pass on it!  I should seem them in the next few days.

Thanks,
D
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 6:35:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I ended up ordering the new Bulgarian ones.  For $11.99 I could not pass on it!  I should seem them in the next few days.

Thanks,
D
View Quote
you did great. They are built just like the surplus bulgy mags except for poly spring floor plates and followers (no big deal, Circle 10 mags have polymer follower too and work great). They're the best deal in mags right now IMO
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 10:23:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 8:38:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I got to try one out today at the range. It worked flawlessly for the 100 rounds or so I fired. Even did a mag dump. Worked just as good as my surplus mags. I will be purchasing more. This is a damn good deal.

Bulgy on left next to a surplus

Finish remind me of the AIM Polish mags. It's a shiny black yet it looks good in this WASR

Link Posted: 8/16/2019 9:27:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Please let us know how they work for you.
View Quote
Will do,

D
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 11:52:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 8:52:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought 10 of the Bulgarian magazines and I am quite pleased with them. Had to clean the oll out so used an old T-shirt and used some mineral sprites to clean the oil off on the outside. Then I  lightly lubed the springs with CLP.
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 11:38:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, that’s a bummer - the Numrich price for those Bulgarian mags just went up to $17.75. Hopefully they’ll put them on sale again sometime in the future.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 9:00:49 AM EDT
[#13]
The new production Bulgarian Steel mags are good range mags. They are NOT as solid as steel milsurp mags and won't last as long. They have plastic followers and the steel is not as thick as traditional surplus. They're decent mags, but when you can find traditional com bloc surplus mags at close to the price, go surplus.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 9:54:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The new production Bulgarian Steel mags are good range mags. They are NOT as solid as steel milsurp mags and won't last as long. They have plastic followers and the steel is not as thick as traditional surplus. They're decent mags, but when you can find traditional com bloc surplus mags at close to the price, go surplus.
View Quote
Did you personally weigh them? I'm betting not. Because the people have weighed them have found that the weight difference to be miniscule.

Now if you personally want to rank them as range mags because of the plastic follower and floor plate guide that's on you. But the weight argument doesn't  hold water .
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 5:57:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Did you personally weigh them? I'm betting not. Because the people have weighed them have found that the weight difference to be miniscule.

Now if you personally want to rank them as range mags because of the plastic follower and floor plate guide that's on you. But the weight argument doesn't  hold water .
View Quote
Nah, they just don't feel as heavy as my other mags. I've had one break, so that's why I personally rate them range mags. Don't trust them for serious work.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 6:39:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Random surplus mag:

Attachment Attached File

Bulgarian commercial mag:

Attachment Attached File

If I can find a battery for my digital calipers, I’ll compare the thickness of the metal.
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 2:03:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Could the weight difference just be the polymer parts in the new mag? Since you got your scale out I'd be curious between the weight difference of just the bare magazine housings. Just for reference.
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 4:46:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Good idea! I removed the internals but put the baseplates back on since they appear to be identical. Got some interesting results. Here’s the surplus mag:

Attachment Attached File

Bulgarian commercial mag:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 7:30:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Oh boy @3ACR_Scout.

You started something.

You know what you have to do now.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 12:05:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 10:17:29 PM EDT
[#21]
@kujo

Pics of the broken mag?
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 5:35:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
@kujo

Pics of the broken mag?
View Quote
Nah, this was a few years ago and I didn't anticipate providing evidence. Follower got stuck, wacked the mag on a wood bench, follower broke.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 11:50:29 AM EDT
[#23]
What does the hive say about the Chinese flat backs?  I found some, but dang.....  they are $35 each plus shipping..  Is this the going rate for them??

Thanks,
D
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 10:55:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 2:45:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What does the hive say about the Chinese flat backs?  I found some, but dang.....  they are $35 each plus shipping..  Is this the going rate for them??

Thanks,
D
View Quote
Great mags. you can typically find them for around $20 on the second hand market.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 6:32:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for the info!

D
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 12:06:32 PM EDT
[#27]
I have 7 surplus mags arriving today. 2 Romanian, 2 East German, 1 Polish, and 2 from random countries.

I have already been to small arms review, guns guns and more guns, glock talk (the pictures do not come up), and a few other sites for information on identifying what country they are from. And AKfiles requires membership to view threads.

Where do you guys recommend looking for information on identifying country of origin?

I want to be able to identify the random country mags if they don't match any of the countries mentioned above.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 8:52:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have 7 surplus mags arriving today. 2 Romanian, 2 East German, 1 Polish, and 2 from random countries.

I have already been to small arms review, guns guns and more guns, glock talk (the pictures do not come up), and a few other sites for information on identifying what country they are from. And AKfiles requires membership to view threads.

Where do you guys recommend looking for information on identifying country of origin?

I want to be able to identify the random country mags if they don't match any of the countries mentioned above.
View Quote
http://www.sadefensejournal.com/wp/identifying-collecting-the-7-62x39-ak-47akm-magazine/
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 3:30:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Account suicide - Raptor22
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 1:16:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Account suicide - Raptor22
View Quote
What'd I miss?
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 2:52:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

What'd I miss?
View Quote
@Shiff
LINK
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 12:02:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top