Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/29/2007 5:30:22 AM EDT
i know there has been interest in this on and off again.  quite some time back i committed to having some of the stuff to build for those folks who didn't physically bring/have the goods.  i'm getting enough stuff here to do several of them.  although i'm the type of guy who'd rather build them, shoot them, and put them into the safe, i can hold out and allow these to remain parts for a while i guess.

i have a couple A2 uppers and A3 uppers that are stripped, along with many lowers.  some will need A2 stocks, some will be collapsible.  either way, there will be enough for everyone to take a peek.  honestly, assembling these things is pretty darned easy, but if you haven't done it before there is a natural human concern over the proper way to do it.  maybe this kind of activity can help.  i have my little shop up and running, so having a few vices around and the specialty tools is pretty much covered.

on another note.  i get asked ten times a week who makes the "best" AR trigger.  this question is not only relative, but subjective.  in the end, it depends on the rig and the intended use.  also, the plain and simple fact is, few people who chime in on a thread about the "best" trigger have used the many that are out there.  they can only speak to the one or two they've used.  thus, their opinion isn't very seasoned.  in order to learn more about them myself and know in my mind which is good for what and why, i decided to test all the big names.  JP (JP Rifles), Geiselle, Jard, Timney, RRA NM, CMC (chip mccormick), and a few others are rolling into the shop as we speak.  

i'd like to combine these two events.  AR building part of the time, trigger testing and use the other part.  folks could try them, provide feedback, and learn about the differences in each of the top brands.  i'd of course ask everyone to fill out a 60 second survey on the rank of the various triggers from best on down and why.  

i have agreements in place with the trigger folks that contributed.  i gave each company my word i'd run 2,000 rounds through each trigger at a minimum.  let me be clear - this ammo i refer to is reserved for MY testing.  so anybody who'd like to participate in shooting the various triggers will need to bring their own 223 ammo to run through.  i'm not too concerned about the ammo you bring, but i would ask that it is non-corrosive and quality stuff.  i try to avoid surplus, but if it is 100% stuff, then we'll be ok.  i don't want somebody pouring shit ammo down a $250 barrel.  

if you want to pull the trigger once or 500 times on each, i don't care.

ok, to sum it up:
- AR build party - date to be determined - after the holidays for sure
- top triggers available for use/testing
- bring your own ammo - no crappy stuff

what do you guys think?  is there any interest?  also, there is a gunshow at the 4H building/fairgrounds on January 25-27.  is there any interest in combining these things?  folks could come to the shop in the AM, build stuff, shoot stuff, then be able to head home, to the show, out for supper, etc.  just spit balling, nothing set in stone.  i figured those folks who bought stuff friday night at the show could build it saturday to build for themselves, or buy stuff saturday or sunday at the show based on what they used/learned.  or buy nothing of course...

feel free to post publicly on this.  if any of you guys have some suggestions or a better notion, chime in.

-ST13

EDITED for terrible grammatical errors...  

i love you microsoft word...  

ETA *********************

date selected.  saturday january 26th.  

ETA *********************

please hit the poll above so i have a head count.  don't worry about the percentages, i'm just using the number of hits to calc how many cd's i need to burn.  i'll provide a tutorial, some data, tool list, parts lists, etc. - just some stuff on a cd folks might have interest in...
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:41:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey i'd be up for it.

If we do it I will bring my camera gear along and get some group and or action shots
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 1:53:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Count me in.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 2:31:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Count me in for sure! I can't wait I would love to learn how to build a lower.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 3:06:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I will be in for this.  The date you have chosen is especially convenient.

As it turns out, I will be putting together an AR, using the superior lower I picked up last weekend.  I consider it a real treat to be able to try a variety of triggers prior to settling on what I want to finish with.

You can expect me there with ammo.  Thanks for the opportunity.

Edit:  I would also be all about an earlier than 10 start time, if convenient.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 3:36:13 PM EDT
[#5]
How much did you pick up your lower for at the show, was it stripped?
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 3:47:22 PM EDT
[#6]
It was stripped.  RW Snyder Guns and Gunsmithing had them for $90.

If you ever get a chance, Robert is a great guy to do business with.

www.rwsnydergunsmithing.com/Default.asp
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:54:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds good.  Don't know if I will be building anything or not, but would like to attend nonetheless and try out those triggers.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 7:05:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
It was stripped.  RW Snyder Guns and Gunsmithing had them for $90.

If you ever get a chance, Robert is a great guy to do business with.

www.rwsnydergunsmithing.com/Default.asp

+1

you will be hard pressed to find a better fellow.  if you can make it past his ear ring, he's a handsome man...

messing around a bit...  anyway, robert is a stand up guy.  he moves a fair amount of SA product.  give em' a shout.

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:23:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 5:25:17 PM EDT
[#10]
can you guys give me an idea of what you're wanting to do?  how many may want or need to build something that they are bringing?
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 6:39:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I have 5 uppers ready for January. I was hoping we could assemble lowers and you could show me how to put a rail on.  I am new to the scene.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 6:56:37 PM EDT
[#12]
so you need to build five lowers from stripped units and parts?  is that correct?
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 3:00:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't have the lowers yet or the LPKs yet, but I plan on having them prior to your party.  We don't have to build all 5.  We can do a couple just so I get a hang of it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 5:21:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I don't have the lowers yet or the LPKs yet, but I plan on having them prior to your party.  We don't have to build all 5.  We can do a couple just so I get a hang of it.

i'd like for you to bring them all.  if you elect to build a few, so be it.  but if you got the itch then the stuff will be there.  i've had a few people IM me that will were kind enough to offer to bring a full AR tool kit.  i have enough stuff to do most stuff, but i'm tickled that folks are bringing some stuff.  like i told a few guys, i've built a few ARs here and there, but there are folks coming that have built many, many, more.  i hope to learn some stuff and pick up some tricks as well.

this goes for everybody - bring your goods even if you're not sure if we can use it or you want to build it, etc.  if it stays in the trunk, so be it.  if you want to use it, then we'll be set.

Link Posted: 12/6/2007 6:34:31 PM EDT
[#15]
The wife is going to come along and give it a shot.

If you don't mind, you are going to have to teach her while I am off doing something else, like trying triggers.  I learned long ago that it is a bad idea for spouses to try to teach one another about the ins and outs of a hobby.

As you know, I got rid of the "schooner."
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 6:51:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i'd like for you to bring them all.  if you elect to build a few, so be it.  but if you got the itch then the stuff will be there.  i've had a few people IM me that will were kind enough to offer to bring a full AR tool kit.  i have enough stuff to do most stuff, but i'm tickled that folks are bringing some stuff.  like i told a few guys, i've built a few ARs here and there, but there are folks coming that have built many, many, more.  i hope to learn some stuff and pick up some tricks as well.

this goes for everybody - bring your goods even if you're not sure if we can use it or you want to build it, etc.  if it stays in the trunk, so be it.  if you want to use it, then we'll be set.

Sure I can bring them all, I  bought them all during the Thanksgiving sale offered by Armalite.  I was hoping to build them and sell all but one of them.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 11:34:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/7/2007 10:17:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Im In!  I don't need to build anything, but will bring the pistol in case anyone wants to try it out.  I may see if anyone can show me how to get a trigger guard off of my AR rifle in order to install my winter trigger guard.  (One pin only has a hole on one side to only drive it in & not out.)      
Link Posted: 12/7/2007 9:35:41 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Im In!  I don't need to build anything, but will bring the pistol in case anyone wants to try it out.  I may see if anyone can show me how to get a trigger guard off of my AR rifle in order to install my winter trigger guard.  (One pin only has a hole on one side to only drive it in & not out.)      

Thats an easy one.  The plunger side of the trigger guard goes where there is only one hole, the actual pin goes in where there is two holes....I made that same mistake on one of my first builds while I wasn't thinking clearly...too early in the morning to be building guns.

Where is this build party going to take place...I'm in Urbandale if its close enough I'd like to stop by.

Link Posted: 12/7/2007 9:43:56 PM EDT
[#20]
I should have an upper to assemble
Link Posted: 12/8/2007 5:13:46 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Where is this build party going to take place...I'm in Urbandale if its close enough I'd like to stop by.

i'm located between Marshalltown and Des Moines - not far from Baxter.  from Urbandale, we're talking about a 40 minute ride, maybe less...
Link Posted: 12/8/2007 6:49:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the heads up and invite, Septic! I'm going to put in for the day off (although I should be getting it off already but who knows what the hell will happen) and I'll be there. ...Hopefully with something to build ;).
Link Posted: 12/8/2007 7:00:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Glad to see you finally hopped on here.  Maybe this will facilitate you contracting Black Rifle Disease.
Link Posted: 12/8/2007 7:20:49 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Glad to see you finally hopped on here.  Maybe this will facilitate you contracting Black Rifle Disease.

+1  i'm quite certain you'll contract some sort of affliction.  BRD is relatively common around here...

welcome aboard.  i'll plan on seeing you on that saturday.  

this thing is gaining some momentum...  good deal.  it'll be nice to have all these triggers ready to go...  geiselle just sent me one of their units today and i just picked up both the JP units - component pieces and the drop-in modular unit.  the jard is installed.  got the timney on the way, three chip mccormick units, a RRA NM, and a few more on the way.  i'm working with accuracy speaks, jewell, and a few others are being tossed around.  the AA is in the works too.
Link Posted: 12/8/2007 8:37:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Well this is going to be awesome!

I'll bring all my camera gear and get some photos for us!
Link Posted: 12/9/2007 8:44:05 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Well this is going to be awesome!

I'll bring all my camera gear and get some photos for us!

i planned on having a digital camera handy, but if you've got equipment and the willingness to use it, by all means, bring it sir!

thank you!
Link Posted: 12/9/2007 8:14:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Got a drill press that would be availible? I got a front sight base that I need to drill, tap, and mount to my pistol barrel.
Link Posted: 12/10/2007 5:24:01 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Got a drill press that would be availible? I got a front sight base that I need to drill, tap, and mount to my pistol barrel.

nope.  sorry...
Link Posted: 12/16/2007 4:30:10 PM EDT
[#29]
so what exactly is this? Is it a bring your own and assemble or assemble something you have on hand? I would be very interested in attending a how to class.  Just got my first AR and am going nuts wanting to build one from scratch.  Where will this be held at?
Link Posted: 12/16/2007 5:09:53 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
so what exactly is this? Is it a bring your own and assemble or assemble something you have on hand? I would be very interested in attending a how to class.  Just got my first AR and am going nuts wanting to build one from scratch.  Where will this be held at?

teggy1,

it started out as an opportunity for those folks who'd like to see it done to look and learn...  i have some uppers and lowers i need to build.  i've opted to allow anyone who wants to bring their stuff an opportunity to build it onsight - all the tools will be there, so why not?

we have a couple of folks who've offered to come and bring some of their tooling who have many years of assembly and armorer certification.  

it sounds like there are going to be a few of each receiver around, so if you'd like to bring some or your own to build or you'd like to watch others, you're certainly welcome.

i live between marshalltown and des moines, not far from baxter.

Link Posted: 12/16/2007 5:27:26 PM EDT
[#31]
I just bought two stripped Superior Arms receivers from the show last weekend.  I will have at least one still stripped for the build party.
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 4:11:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Well septic, I just couldn't wait till the end of January :(.

I do need to do something about my handguards. I don't know if I should paint them or replace them with a quad rail but my rifle looks a bit goofy as it sits... The stock, grip, and mags are all dark earth but the forearm is black

One thing of note - the trigger is FUCKING TERRIBLE. I'm going to test it tomorrow on a trigger pull gauge but I'm thinking it's between 8 and 10lbs. And it's got a bit of creep. It breaks reasonably clean but damn it's heavy for a rifle trigger. I think it will be replaced in the near future. You sure weren't kidding when you said that was one of the first things you chucked into the trash.

Pics of my cobbled together rifle:

http://photos.sevarg.net/sam/albums/AR15/12_16_2007_082.sized.jpg

Amazing stock of goodness.
http://photos.sevarg.net/sam/albums/AR15/12_16_2007_083.sized.jpg

MIAD grip and p-mag
http://photos.sevarg.net/sam/albums/AR15/12_16_2007_085.sized.jpg

Troy Industries rear BUIS
http://photos.sevarg.net/sam/albums/AR15/12_16_2007_087.sized.jpg

Folded
http://photos.sevarg.net/sam/albums/AR15/12_16_2007_088.sized.jpg

My new G26 snuggling up to the new, freshly built AR
http://photos.sevarg.net/sam/albums/AR15/12_16_2007_089.sized.jpg

The happy family
http://photos.sevarg.net/sam/albums/AR15/12_16_2007_090.sized.jpg

...And holy shit this is a disease. I'm already planning another build. I think I'm going to pick up another lower at the next gunshow and build it at the party :D
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 4:37:48 PM EDT
[#33]
looks like a bargain...

i'd worry about the trigger first and the hand guards farther on down the road.  function over form...  

i'll plan on seeing you in january if not before.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 4:54:57 AM EDT
[#34]
I warned you about BRD.  Glad to see you got it...........    BTW there is no cure.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 1:54:53 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I warned you about BRD.  Glad to see you got it...........    BTW there is no cure.

You can alleviate the itch for about a day by purchasing a new one though.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 3:36:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Well I feel obligated to show off my new critter killer flavored in .204 that I threw together this weekend.  This mofo is accurate.  Those critters don't stand a chance.

Link Posted: 12/18/2007 3:50:16 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
 This mofo is accurate.  

how accurate?
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 4:38:50 PM EDT
[#38]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
 This mofo is accurate.  

how accurate?

Hopefully less than one minute of coyote If I remember correctly he was sitting around a third of an inch at 100yd but threw a flyer on the last shot.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 4:50:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Yes.  The flyer always gets me....  I would not be surprised if this thing is 1/4 MOA or better.  I did not have a proper rest, as I let a friend borrow it and have not got it back yet.  So technically I have no official group, but I got a glimpse of its potential.  I was shooting hornady 32gr vmax.  This as far as I know is the fastest shit out there for .204.  I will have a decent variety of pills showing up this week to play around with and see what it likes best.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 5:09:35 PM EDT
[#40]
when i ran my tests, the hornady 32 and 40 were both running about 200FPS LESS than advertised speed.  HSM, remington, and winchester all were very close.  rem 32's were the fastest, most accurate, and were the most consistent of all i tested.  honestly, they were by far the best stuff i ran.

FYI.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 6:28:30 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
when i ran my tests, the hornady 32 and 40 were both running about 200FPS LESS than advertised speed.  HSM, remington, and winchester all were very close.  rem 32's were the fastest, most accurate, and were the most consistent of all i tested.  honestly, they were by far the best stuff i ran.

FYI.

I have read the same thing while doing research in regards to hornady velocity.
I believe you on the remy.  I bought what cost less since I knew I would waste rounds sighting in.  Especially since I had no .20 caliber bore sighter available, and no proper rest.

Link Posted: 12/29/2007 8:55:38 PM EDT
[#42]
ok I have a WOA sprr coming next week along with a vltor low profile gas block. I'm going to have all of this installed next week.

Heres what I'm thinking. I'll grab a cheapy del-ton upper and then get a lower at the gun show on the 25th to assemble the next day for that upper
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 1:21:53 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I'll grab a cheapy del-ton upper and then get a lower at the gun show on the 25th to assemble the next day for that upper

sounds like a winner.
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 5:22:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Does anyone have a laser boresighter they would be willing to bring? i wont have my super sniper 16x42 untill feb (tax refund) but i'd like to get the irons set.
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 9:47:14 PM EDT
[#45]
This looks awesome, i got my first ar15 when i turned 14 with no idea what i was doing
put off getting a car and never looked back when i found this forum i went mad and all
i could think about was finishing my ar15. while being in school and having some pretty
bad jobs have slowed me down i almost have my build done. bushmaster lower/upper
off original AR got a PRS, white oak 18in spr barrel and many others. Me and BionicSniper
have been building are ar15's for about 2 years and all i need know is my Yhm lite full length
handguard AIM had me on back order for 4 months so i gave up on that.

Anyone want to sell me one for cheap?

If i have one by then i'll def be there me and BionicSniper got the tools and all i but all i need is a handguard.
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 8:07:41 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
...all i need know is my Yhm lite full length
handguard AIM had me on back order for 4 months so i gave up on that.

Anyone want to sell me one for cheap?

i have a Superior Arms ultralight rifle length quad rail, with the nut and jam spanner...  we really aren't supposed to discuss sales here, but you're certainly welcome to IM or email me.

Link Posted: 1/6/2008 8:14:36 PM EDT
[#47]
i was out in the shop today working on lowers and installing some triggers....  WOW!!!  some of these triggers are unreal!!!!!!!  i won't give it away, but some of these things really live up to their names, reputation, and the associated price tags.  and, as is typically the case, there are a couple that i'm very unimpressed with.  

a surprising thing has come to clarity...  when i sent letters out for correspondence with each fire control group maker, some were quick and eager to visit with me about this project.  others wouldn't give me the time of day.  those folks most willing and wanting to work with me, have proven to have made some of the best stuff i've looked at yet...  

maybe it isn't surprising after all...  could it be that customer service and quality still go hand in hand?  it certainly looks that way so far.  

Link Posted: 1/7/2008 3:02:36 PM EDT
[#48]
It is nice to see you are noticing a correlation between lower quality triggers and lower quality customer service.  It will be really cool if this is confirmed on the 26th by shooters who have no predispositions based on customer service.
Link Posted: 1/7/2008 3:12:00 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm planning to attend.  I've got a bare lower to build, we'll see if the parts get here in time to bring.  They should since I'm ordering this week from ArmaLite.

I'm most interested in seeing some upper assembly done as I have no experience with that and would like to learn to do my own.

I've built lowers before, and all of mine use RRA or ArmaLite match triggers.  I've never pulled a 'normal' AR trigger before.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2008 6:26:56 PM EDT
[#50]
i trust everyone is hitting the poll so i'll have a good idea of how many folks are attending.

i'm looking forward to it.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top