Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2011 5:58:13 AM EDT
I have read some conflicting information (and not much is really out there) about Efird's Rifle Range so I decided to take the trip and get the facts. If this is satisfactory could a MOD please post a link to this thread under the NC Ranges where Efird's is listed?
Link Posted: 4/15/2011 5:58:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Efird's Rifle Range
20766 Saint Martin Rd #C
Albemarle, NC 28001-7441

Day - (704) 982-3196
Night - (704) 982-7686
Cell - (704) 244-6538
Website - N/A
Email - N/A
Owner - Ed Efird
Hours - Monday through Saturday 8:30am-Dark Sunday 1:00PM-Dark

Membership Required - Yes (Members and Member Guests Only)
Membership Cost - $175.00 per year w/unlimited access and range facilities
Background Checks - quote: "Safe Honest People"
Housekeeping - Keep the range area clean - pick up your own brass - if you shoot it please clean it up
Bathrooms - One Unisex
Refreshments - No
Swap Meets - No
Competitions - NRA Sponsored Hunter Safety Shoot - .22 rimfire Children NC Hunter Shoot
Safety Regulations - No Alcohol, drugs, loaded firearms (outside of shooting lanes), NFA/Class3 with permits and by members only.
CCW - Anywhere on range property with a valid/current CCW permit.
Planned Upgrades - Increase Rifle Bay Length
Targets - You must supply your own targets, target stands, stapler or tape

Rifle Bay - Straight Line 100-110 yards w/cross lane up to 150 yards
           - 18 covered bays of Left and Right hand adjustable seat concrete benches
Pistol Bay - 25 yards max
             - No covered bays open field w/fenced backstop for targets
Shotgun Bay - 5 Concrete bads
                 - Onsite trap loader
                 - No covered bays open lanes
.22 rimfire Bay - 8 target for NRA Competition Only
                   - No  covered bays open lanes

Efird's is a 200 acre shooting facility established in 1975 which can accomodate Rifle, Pistol, and Shotgun enthousiests. When turning onto the gravel road from Saint Martin's memories of my Grandparents home were running through my mind. The rustic, antique, quiet feeling was very present as I pulled into the range. Visable signage was posted and as I stopped and got out Members Only signs were also present. No way of not missing them.

As I entered the Rifle Bay more I noticed the long line of benches and steel casings on the ground some of which had been there for quite some time. No brass was present on the ground until I saw the brass buckets and empty trash cans (which is a good thing). The restrooms were dusty but clean (another good thing).

After walking through the Rifle Bay you enter the Shotgun Field. 5 concrete pads for trap/skeet shooting. Turning to my right and a short walk is the pistol bay (to the left and behind the shotgun bay). No covered benches but just an open field with 25 yard of room to shoot.

Walking back through the rifle bays and back out to the car (parking lot) is where I noticed the .22 rimfire lanes. This is a scheduled meet for children and because of safety concerns should not be used until the meet.

All is all.............Ed Efird is a great guy. He's very friendly and has a wonderfull range to relax, conversate with other members, and you don't have to worry with the riff-raff of public ranges.

As you enter the range.

Parking Lot and Rimfire Lanes (to the left)

Pistol bay (to the right of the parking lot) Shotgun Bay to the far left

Sneak Peek to the rifle Range with the Bay entrance on the right

Rifle Bay Entrance

Rifle Bay

Right and Left Benches

Rifle Range (shooting cross lane to the far right corner for 150 yards)

Shotgun Lanes
Link Posted: 4/15/2011 6:00:12 AM EDT
[#2]
.22 Rimfire

Rifle Range

Shotgun Bay

Link Posted: 4/15/2011 7:41:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Can one keep a loaded CCW pistol holstered at all times in the "no loaded gun" sections if one has a valid CCW?
Link Posted: 4/15/2011 8:24:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Can one keep a loaded CCW pistol holstered at all times in the "no loaded gun" sections if one has a valid CCW?

CCW - Anywhere on range property with a valid/current CCW permit.

Link Posted: 4/15/2011 11:40:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm considering joining this place.  Charlotte Rifle and Pistol Club is so damn close to me (2-3 miles) but they have a $500 initiation fee and $200/year annual fee.  This place is about an hour away according to google maps.

How many guests are you allowed to bring at once?  Also, is there a range officer?  I've never shot at an outdoor rifle range where you bring your own targets.  Is there anyone there to make sure your guns don't walk off while changing targets?
Link Posted: 4/15/2011 12:09:53 PM EDT
[#6]
There are no RO's as most of the time your there by yourself (maybe an occasional member showing up). One guest per member ($20.00 guest fee) but if you call Ed he might make an acception if you have more than one.

Link Posted: 4/15/2011 1:25:46 PM EDT
[#7]
thanks for the info  and pics

wonder what it would cost to rent the range for a weekend for an ARFCOM camp and shoot?
Link Posted: 4/16/2011 9:04:42 AM EDT
[#8]
OrigiInally Posted By Tornado_Racing:
There are no RO's as most of the time your there by yourself (maybe an occasional member showing up). One guest per member ($20.00 guest fee) but if you call Ed he might make an acception if you have more than one.

Who verifies membership and collects the $20 guest fee?
Link Posted: 4/16/2011 10:03:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OrigiInally Posted By Tornado_Racing:

Who verifies membership and collects the $20 guest fee?

Ed is there on site most of the time and when he hears someone at the range usually walks down. The guest fee goes in an envelope and are placed in a drop box. There is also a sign in sheet to log when members show up.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 11:42:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Excellent scouting report. Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top