Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/29/2008 7:20:23 PM EDT
hi, the nra.org Connecticut gun law synopsis can be found at
http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/CTSL.pdf

after reading, it sounds like you can't own an ar-15, or an ak or FAL but every store I've been in there are ar-15's and ak's and fal's on the shelf for sale.  I don't get it, what am I not understanding?  The specific thing that caught my attention was if you own the rifle in their list that you have to apply for a certificate of possession, which I've never heard of.  anybody seen this, and could you explain it to me in simple english?
thanks.

height=8

No person shall possess any “assault weapon” unless
that person possessed that firearm before October
1, 1993 and received a certificate of possession from
the Connecticut State Police prior to July 1994. The
commissioner of public safety shall maintain a file of all
certificates of transfer at the central office.
No assault weapon may be sold or transferred to
any person other than to a licensed gun dealer, or any
individual who arranged in advance to relinquish it to a
police department or the department of public safety,
or by bequest or intestate succession. Any person who
obtains title to an assault weapon for which a certificate
of possession has been issued by bequest or intestate
succession shall, within 90 days of obtaining title,
apply to the department of public safety for a certificate
of possession, render the weapon inoperable, sell the
weapon to a licensed gun dealer, or remove the weapon
from the state. Any person who moves into the state in
lawful possession of an assault weapon shall, within 90
days, either render it permanently inoperable, sell it to a
licensed gun dealer, or remove it from the state.

“Assault Weapon” are defined as:: Any selective-fire
firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or
burst fire at the option of the user or any of the following
specified semiautomatic firearms: Algimec Agmi; Armalite
AR-180; Australian Automatic Arms SAP Pistol; Auto
Ordnance Thompson type; Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-
47 type; Barrett Light-Fifty model 82A1; Beretta AR 70;
Bushmaster Auto Rifle and Auto Pistol; Calico models
M-900, M-950 and 100-P; Chartered Industries of
Singapore SR-88;Colt AR-15 and Sporter; Daewoo K-1,
K-2, Max-1 and Max-2; Encom MK-IV, MP-9 and MP-
45; Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or RN/FNC;
(any many more, see pdf link).
Link Posted: 7/29/2008 8:27:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Any select fire weapon is illegal in this state.  You can own fully automatic machine guns provided they are pre '86 transferable, registered with the ATF and the selector can only go from safe to full auto.

Now on to the ban list which refers to semi automatic "assault weapons"  The Colt AR15 and Sporter are a no go in CT.  If you have a colt and it is marked "AR15" or "sporter" that is a weapon banned by name.  Any AR15 clone is ok to own.

The FN FAL is banned by name.  The DSA clones (and similar) are ok to own provided they are in postban configuration.

AK47 type weapons are banned.  AK47 specifically refers to AK types (including the Gallil and others) chambered in 7.62x39.  Any weapon that has interchangeable parts, magazine and chambered for 7.62x39 is an AK type.  AK clones chambered in 5.56x45, 5.45x39, .308 and 12 gauge are good to go.

Any weapon specifically named on the list is banned by that name.  The clones are not necessarily banned.  As far a cert of possession goes those were issued prior to July 1994.  The only way to get one now is if you are in the state serving as active duty military.  Otherwise, if you own one of these weapons you have to get rid of it if you are moving here.

The next part of the ban has to do with feature count.  A semi automatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine can only have one of the following features

1) pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously below the action
2)flash hider or threaded barrel capable of accepting a flash hider (this counts as one feature even if the weapon has a threaded barrel and a flash hider)
3) Collapsible or folding stock
4) Grenade launcher (not like an M203 but like the one found on an SKS)
5) Bayonet lug

For example an AR15 style rifle such as a bushmaster XM15 is a semi automatic rifle with a detachable magazine and by design it has a pistol grip.  The pistol grip is the (1) allowable feature on that particular weapon under CT statute.  Therefore that weapon can not have a collapsible or folding stock, bayonet lug, threaded barrel/flash hider or grenade launcher (which it wouldn't have anyways).  If you have any more than (1) of those features on that gun it becomes and illegal assault weapon.

Here's the loophole.  Lets say that Bushmaster was manufactured before 9/14/1994.  That weapon is classified as a preban and is exempt from the assault weapons ban.  It is therefore allowed to have all the features and can be purchased and sold in state.

Quick run down:

>Full auto only - OK as long as it is registered as a machine gun with the ATF

>select fire - no go, not able to buy or sell in state.  Those that had them before the ban were required to register them and get a cert of possession prior to July 1994

>semi automatic assault weapons listed by name - no go, not able to buy or sell in state.  Those that had them before the ban were required to register them and get a cert of possession prior to July 1994

>post ban rifle (manufactured after 9-14-94) - good to go as long as they don't exceed the feature count.

>preban rifles (manufactured on or before prior to 9-14-94) - good to go with no limit on features

For more information click here.  The thread used to be tacked but is not anymore.  Not sure why.
Link Posted: 7/30/2008 4:28:28 AM EDT
[#2]
GREAT response CTbuilder1
Link Posted: 7/30/2008 4:48:58 AM EDT
[#3]
CTBuilder probably has his response to AWB questions in Word, or at least he should.

Cut/Paste

Link Posted: 7/30/2008 3:31:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
CTBuilder probably has his response to AWB questions in Word, or at least he should.

Cut/Paste

Good idea, I got a nice cramp in my hands from typing that one up last night .
Link Posted: 7/30/2008 4:42:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Where does it state in the CT statutes that

"preban rifles (manufactured on or before 9-14-94) - good to go with no limit on features"

I have searched and from what I can see , they state nothing about it being okay to own one that was built before 94.

Can you point me out to it?
Link Posted: 7/30/2008 4:58:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe I should clarify - preban rifles that are not banned by name are good to go with no limit on features.

Sec. 53-202m. Circumstances when assault weapons exempt from limitations on transfers and registration requirements. Notwithstanding any provision of the general statutes, sections 53-202a to 53-202l, inclusive, shall not be construed to limit the transfer or require the registration of an assault weapon as defined in subdivision (3) or (4) of subsection (a) of section 53-202a, provided such firearm was legally manufactured prior to September 13, 1994.
Link Posted: 7/31/2008 6:29:08 AM EDT
[#7]
The laws regarding the AWB range from sec 53-202a - 53-202o, its quite a bit of reading.
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 12:17:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Maybe I should clarify - preban rifles that are not banned by name are good to go with no limit on features.

Sec. 53-202m. Circumstances when assault weapons exempt from limitations on transfers and registration requirements. Notwithstanding any provision of the general statutes, sections 53-202a to 53-202l, inclusive, shall not be construed to limit the transfer or require the registration of an assault weapon as defined in subdivision (3) or (4) of subsection (a) of section 53-202a, provided such firearm was legally manufactured prior to September 13, 1994.

With that being said, can one assume that an HK PSG1, HK43 or an HK41 may still be purchased in CT with zero problems and zero parts removal?
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 4:54:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

With that being said, can one assume that an HK PSG1, HK43 or an HK41 may still be purchased in CT with zero problems and zero parts removal?

I don't see why not.  If they were manufactured before 9-14-94 and are not mentioned by name in the ban then there should be no issues.  

When you refer to "parts" are you talking about the features mentioned in the AWB or are you referring to 922r compliance?
Link Posted: 8/3/2008 5:04:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't see why not.  If they were manufactured before 9-14-94 and are not mentioned by name in the ban then there should be no issues.  

When you refer to "parts" are you talking about the features mentioned in the AWB or are you referring to 922r compliance?

I was referring about "parts removal" if any part needed to be removed to enter CT to make it legal. Though I agree with you that there should not be an issue with those three rifles.
Link Posted: 8/3/2008 5:22:39 AM EDT
[#11]
922r still stands regardless, since it is a Federal law.

however, if those rifles were manufactured prior to 94', the "parts", (ie, flash hider, collapsable stock, bayo lug) could stay on the rifle.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was referring about "parts removal" if any part needed to be removed to enter CT to make it legal. Though I agree with you that there should not be an issue with those three rifles.
Link Posted: 8/3/2008 8:22:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Here is where 922r confuses me.  An SKS is WAY preban but I hear that it is illegal to put that Tapco pistolgrip/collapsible stock setup on them in CT.  It can't be anything to do with the AWB considering that these rifles are 40-50 years old so I can only assume it has to do with 922r.  Yet I knolw plenty of people down south who have the folding stock or tapco stock on their SKS.  922r is a fed thing so wouldn't it apply to them as well or are they just non-compiant?  Or is it ok to throw one of those stocks on an SKS in CT?  Anyone got a definitive answer on this one?  I want to know because I would drop $200 to get an SKS so I can shoot cheap 7.62x39, but only if I could pistol grip the thing.
Link Posted: 8/4/2008 8:00:08 AM EDT
[#13]
As an fyi- you can own a banned weapon *IF* you registered it with the state back when the law took effect. But its not transferable (other then a descendent transfer).

I grudgingly registered my Sporter H-Bar and carry a copy of the registration to the range just in case.
Link Posted: 9/13/2008 6:56:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Here is where 922r confuses me.  An SKS is WAY preban but I hear that it is illegal to put that Tapco pistolgrip/collapsible stock setup on them in CT.  It can't be anything to do with the AWB considering that these rifles are 40-50 years old so I can only assume it has to do with 922r.  Yet I knolw plenty of people down south who have the folding stock or tapco stock on their SKS.  922r is a fed thing so wouldn't it apply to them as well or are they just non-compiant?  Or is it ok to throw one of those stocks on an SKS in CT?  Anyone got a definitive answer on this one?  I want to know because I would drop $200 to get an SKS so I can shoot cheap 7.62x39, but only if I could pistol grip the thing.

Yep, it has to do with the C&R status of the gun itself. You can add those features but it mut be US mfg. parts along with the other compliance parts to add up to the total number of parts to comply.
Link Posted: 9/15/2008 12:49:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Just for the sake of clarity so that I'm not making a huge mistake.

I can legally purchase an sks in ct that was manufactured prior to 9/14/94 and install a flash hider, retractable stock, pistol grip, detachable mag and keep the bayonet on it, so long as I have 7 parts for 922r compliance?
Link Posted: 9/15/2008 1:50:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Just for the sake of clarity so that I'm not making a huge mistake.

I can legally purchase an sks in ct that was manufactured prior to 9/14/94 and install a flash hider, retractable stock, pistol grip, detachable mag and keep the bayonet on it, so long as I have 7 parts for 922r compliance, change my username to "bubba" and realize that I will be subject to criticism and ridicule beyond what I'm capable of imagining?

Fixed it for you.

Link Posted: 9/16/2008 6:42:07 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm asking a legitimate question. Why be an asshole?
Link Posted: 9/16/2008 8:14:23 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

He's just joking around with you.  Lighten up Francis.

According to some of the previous responses, it looks like you would be ok as long as you are 922r compliant.  Which was my question as well.
Link Posted: 9/16/2008 9:04:05 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

According to some of the previous responses, it looks like you would be ok as long as you are 922r compliant.  Which was my question as well.

Thanks for the update. I'm still hesitant though

As far as the ribbing, I didn't read it as freindly fun, more like condescending.
Link Posted: 9/16/2008 9:22:34 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As far as the ribbing, I didn't read it as freindly fun, more like condescending.

Yeah , I'm hesitent as well.  But considering the preban status of the SKS, there should be no problem in CT with them.  So as long as fed compliance is met we should be ok.

As far as Rgapers comment, trust me he was just messing around.  He just forgot one of these: .
Link Posted: 9/16/2008 11:59:19 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah , I'm hesitent as well.  But considering the preban status of the SKS, there should be no problem in CT with them.  So as long as fed compliance is met we should be ok.

As far as Rgapers comment, trust me he was just messing around.  He just forgot one of these: .

Out of the crate, all SKS (except some of those Norincos that came from the factory accepting detachables) use fixed magazines (unless you mod them to take detachables). Thus, if you were keeping the factorty fixed mag, an SKS could have been made yesterday, and you could put whatever evil features on it that your little heart desires, since it lacks the qualifier detachable magazine- as long as you are 922r compliant.

There is some question about exactly what preban means in Connecticut with regards to the condition that a weapon had to be in on 13 SEP 94 to qualify as such. Some people, including several major dealers, will tell you that the reciever simply had to be in existance (made before that date) (not necessarily assembled into a rifle even) to qualify. Other people say it had to be not only be assembled but in an evil configuration before that date to qualify. I believe at least one member here has a letter (or email) from SLFU that says that a preban Remington semi-auto shotgun that lacked evil features before the ban can not now have evil features added to it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2008 2:54:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Totally kidding with you dude - making jest of those who trick out SKS's is pretty much standard operating procedure.  You gotta get a thicker skin if you're gonna hang here!  

Anyone who modifies an SKS is immediately declared a "Bubba" in many circles.  I had one a while back, but reverted it to the original configuration.  The balance and ergonomics of the rifle are awful with all of the accessories.  The only way to comfortably fire it was from a bipod like you're shooting an RPK.  To each his own though!  As was stated previously, make sure that you are 922r compliant with US parts count.

Link Posted: 9/16/2008 11:00:49 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Totally kidding with you dude - making jest of those who trick out SKS's is pretty much standard operating procedure.  You gotta get a thicker skin if you're gonna hang here!  

Anyone who modifies an SKS is immediately declared a "Bubba" in many circles.  I had one a while back, but reverted it to the original configuration.  The balance and ergonomics of the rifle are awful with all of the accessories.  The only way to comfortably fire it was from a bipod like you're shooting an RPK.  To each his own though!  As was stated previously, make sure that you are 922r compliant with US parts count.

No harm no foul. I just didn't get the intonation with he written word. I apologize for jumping on you.

Link Posted: 10/22/2008 1:55:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/30/2008 3:39:11 PM EDT
[#25]
What if you have a "post ban" configured gun, non Colt, no bayonet lug, no collapsible stock, but a muzzle brake (not a flash hider) permanently attached?  Ok?
Link Posted: 10/30/2008 7:38:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Yeah.  You can have a post ban configured Colt as well.  It just can't be an "AR15" or "Sporter."
Link Posted: 11/4/2008 10:39:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/4/2008 1:33:03 PM EDT
[#28]

The preban info is ABSOLUTELY WRONG on that website.  Otherwise it's not bad.
Link Posted: 11/4/2008 1:37:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The preban info is ABSOLUTELY WRONG on that website.  Otherwise it's not bad.

Yep, the whole last paragraph is just completely wrong... but if it keeps newbies from buying preban lowers, I like it.

Link Posted: 11/15/2008 5:17:07 PM EDT
[#30]
I just smacked into CTs disarmament program today when I asked a local FFL dealer if I could transfer some AK receivers for me. Wow.

Most court challenges of these types of laws seem to revolve around the legality of individual ownership of firearms, but I wonder if anyone has pushed the 'well regulated Militia' bit. I mean, as a member of the militia as explicitly stated in US legal code, how am I supposed to uphold my end if some of the worlds most proven small arms are banned? (Not that I would be defenseless with my 30-06, but thats not the point)

Its an interesting line of questioning...
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Anyway, I understand that possession is supposedly a felony here in CT, but if anyone has any non-incriminating tips for a guy who would like to 'navigate' the laws here, please divulge. I'll be picking up some 556 lowers regardless, but my desire for an AK style weapon just skyrocketed because CT says I cant have one.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 4:55:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Grab yourself any AK variant NOT chambered in 7.62x39mm, and that does not exceed the "evil"part count.

5.45x39mm, .223, .308, 7.62x54r, 8mm, .410, 20 & 12 gauges. All good here... for now.

If evil features are a must, hunt down an old preban Norinco 84S series in .223.

It's not like the CT AWB hasn't been challenged in court. It has been upheld as constitutional and a follow-up challenge was thrown out.

Link Posted: 11/16/2008 1:02:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Grab yourself any AK variant NOT chambered in 7.62x39mm, and that does not exceed the "evil"part count.

5.45x39mm, .223, .308, 7.62x54r, 8mm, .410, 20 & 12 gauges. All good here... for now.

If evil features are a must, hunt down an old preban Norinco 84S series in .223.

It's not like the CT AWB hasn't been challenged in court. It has been upheld as constitutional and a follow-up challenge was thrown out.

That was the CT Supreme Court, and took place before the Federal Supreme Court struck down the DC handgun ban. I might add that the NRA was actively avoiding the US Supreme Court out of fear, so who knows what would have happened if they had the balls to push it up the chain.

The basic finding of the US Supreme Court is that you cant just cross off a list of weapons that fall into a general category, which is exactly what the CT ban is. You don't have to give away the guns on the street corners, meaning red tape is Constitutional, but you cant just outlaw them for sale.

Regardless, if you want to be honest about crime, handguns are used in criminal activitay way more than assault weapons are due to their concealability, etc.

Even the Brady Campaigns page for reinstating the AWB is pathetically devoid of crimes committed with 'assault weapons'.

If I were the trial lawyer, Id parade all 5000 CT national guard troops through the court and ask them to testify under oath what weapon they'd choose to defend themselves and the state.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 3:12:37 PM EDT
[#33]
You are preaching to the choir. Can't argue with anything you have stated. Any AWB is as unconstitutional as hell, and should be tossed. That said, the CT supreme courts' ruling on Benjamin vs Bailey in 1995, is a prime example of the judicial system gone awry. It shows liberal, antigun,  judges making laws from the bench, and twisting our constitution into knots, to get the desired outcome. Read the twisted convoluted excerpts from Benjamin v Bailey. It's pathetic and laughable.

I know this was 1995, and the thrown out challenge was in2003, but DICK Blumenthal is still here, and our highest court just found gay marriage in our constitution. How do you think a repeal the AWB would fair in their hands?
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 6:52:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You are preaching to the quire. Can't argue with anything you have stated. Any AWB is as unconstitutional as hell, and should be tossed. That said, the CT supreme courts' ruling on Benjamin vs Bailey in 1995, is a prime example of the judicial system gone awry. It shows liberal, antigun,  judges making laws from the bench, and twisting our constitution into knots, to get the desired outcome. Read the twisted convoluted excerpts from Benjamin v Bailey. It's pathetic and laughable.

I know this was 1995, and the thrown out challenge was in2003, but DICK Blumenthal is still here, and our highest court just found gay marriage in our constitution. How do you think a repeal the AWB would fair in their hands?

+1

Until we are rid of Blumenthal we have no chance.  The only way he goes is if he runs for higher office.  As in Governor or Senate.  In either one of those offices I don't see him there for the long haul.  As long as he stays the AG he is here for life.  And even if he goes the chance is still slim.  Unless the state makes a turn around the outcome is bleak.  Not impossible but definitely an uphill battle.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 1:32:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You are preaching to the quire. Can't argue with anything you have stated. Any AWB is as unconstitutional as hell, and should be tossed. That said, the CT supreme courts' ruling on Benjamin vs Bailey in 1995, is a prime example of the judicial system gone awry. It shows liberal, antigun,  judges making laws from the bench, and twisting our constitution into knots, to get the desired outcome. Read the twisted convoluted excerpts from Benjamin v Bailey. It's pathetic and laughable.

As I understand it, the NRA actually tried to prevent the DC handgun ban from going to the US Supreme Court. Does anyone know if they tried to appeal the case you mentioned to the US SC, or did they chicken out?

Link Posted: 11/28/2008 11:38:00 AM EDT
[#36]
So my understanding of the ct ban is you can have a VZ 58 because ak type means taking an ak mag not shooting 7.62x39. The VZ shoots the same round but uses a different mag.
Link Posted: 11/28/2008 7:11:12 PM EDT
[#37]
The vz58 and the vz2000 are CT legal because they fail the horsesh*t  three fold criteria the CSP SLFU came up with. To the untrained eye they may look somewhat like an AK variant, and they are both gas operated. However, an AK variant and the vz58 CANNOT interchange parts. Two entirely different designs. The 7.62x39mm chambering is all the two designs have in common.
Link Posted: 11/29/2008 12:59:47 AM EDT
[#38]
thank god russia saw that the czech republic made the best guns of the USSR!  Only soviet republic that was allowed to make their own version. Same as the ak, but more complicated internals, and legal in the restricted state of connecticut!
Link Posted: 12/3/2008 10:14:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Let me get this straight.   I have a post ban lower receiver ( I bought it in 2007 ).  So, the only thing then is the feature count?  What about the barrel length?  I was under the impression it had to be 16".  Is this correct?

Also, by features, my rifle of course, will have a pistol grip and a detach. magazine.  It will be a 16" m4 carbine with a fixed flash hider.  Does this mean that right there is my limit of feature count items?  Can I still have a magpul CTR stock?  Is adjustable the same thing as collapsible or folding?  If so, can I modify the stock so it doesn't move and be ok with the laww?

Help!!  I hate all this crap.  Also, what is the situation in CT anyways?  When the federal AWB expired, ours didn't?  or did we have our laws or what?

Thanks in advance.

Rob
Link Posted: 12/3/2008 11:54:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Let me get this straight.   I have a post ban lower receiver ( I bought it in 2007 ).  So, the only thing then is the feature count?  What about the barrel length?  I was under the impression it had to be 16".  Is this correct?

Also, by features, my rifle of course, will have a pistol grip and a detach. magazine.  It will be a 16" m4 carbine with a fixed flash hider.  Does this mean that right there is my limit of feature count items?  Can I still have a magpul CTR stock?  Is adjustable the same thing as collapsible or folding?  If so, can I modify the stock so it doesn't move and be ok with the laww?

Help!!  I hate all this crap.  Also, what is the situation in CT anyways?  When the federal AWB expired, ours didn't?  or did we have our laws or what?

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Barrel legth is federally regulated, has nothing to do with CT law.  Anything under 16" requires a tax stamp.  On a post ban AR15 you are allowed (1) feature.  That is usually the pistol grip.  It can't have a collapsible or folding stock, no threaded barrel, no flash hider, no bayonet lug.  Detachable magazine is not a feature it is a qualifier for feature count.  If you have a perm attached flash hider and a pistol grip on a post ban AR in CT, you are in possesion of an illegal assault weapon.  If you have a perm attached non flash suppressing muzzle break you are OK.
Link Posted: 12/3/2008 1:35:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Barrel legth is federally regulated, has nothing to do with CT law.  Anything under 16" requires a tax stamp.  On a post ban AR15 you are allowed (1) feature.  That is usually the pistol grip.  It can't have a collapsible or folding stock, no threaded barrel, no flash hider, no bayonet lug.  Detachable magazine is not a feature it is a qualifier for feature count.  If you have a perm attached flash hider and a pistol grip on a post ban AR in CT, you are in possesion of an illegal assault weapon.  If you have a perm attached non flash suppressing muzzle break you are OK.

Thanks for the update!  Thankfully, I'm not in possession of anything except my Stag stripped lower receiver as I just cancelled my order from Delton until I can figure out what I'm gonna do.  I really appreciate you taking the time to put in your 2 cents.

How can I clarify what is and what is not a flash hider vs. a muzzle brake/compensator?   For one thing, I am sure I have seen complete rifles with perm. affixed A2 flashhiders in place for sale recently in local gunshops.  Personally, I was going to use a DPMS Panther with holes.  Is that really a flash suppressor, or just a compensator or muzzle brake?  Who gets to say?  Do you think anything on the end of a barrel is going to count as a flash suppressor feature?  or is there really an option that won't offend the CT statue?

Also, what's your thought on taking an adjustable buttstock, specifically a Magpul CTR and making it unadjustable?  I haven't had one in my hands yet but I'm sure it can be affixed to the buffer tube permanently via glue, a couple of machine screws or what have you...  

Thanks in advance again..
Link Posted: 12/3/2008 1:43:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Just drill a hole through it and put a rollpin through it.  That will make it legal.  Also, if you want a nice CT legal muzzle brake, look into the one that the guys from JoJo's make.  It looks just like an A2 flash hider, except that it is a muzzle brake.
Link Posted: 12/3/2008 2:40:18 PM EDT
[#43]
The stock would have to be blind pinned to be legal.  Meaning drill a hole into the flat area of the buffer tube but not all the way through it.  Then drive a roll pin into it and cover it with some black epoxy.  This way the pin can not be driven back out and is considered permanant.

As far as the muzzle break goes you can hae JoJos perm install the custom one they make, as harlenm said or look for muzzle breaks that are designated non flash hiding.  PWS makes a really nice compensator that is considered by the ATF as a non flash suppressor.  Muzzle devices do increase sound and flash though, but that's just something you will havce to deal with in CT.

The most recommended option (as well as the most $$$$) would be to buy a preban (manufactured befor 9.13.94) lower or rifle and you can have all the features you want.  Otherwise just follow the advice given above.
Link Posted: 12/3/2008 3:52:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Excellent advice guys.  I am going to follow that plan and pin the stock.   Is there a place online I can look to determine what qualifies as a flash hider vs muzzle brake?
Link Posted: 12/3/2008 4:19:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Excellent advice guys.  I am going to follow that plan and pin the stock.   Is there a place online I can look to determine what qualifies as a flash hider vs muzzle brake?

http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15shootersSite/muzzledevices.msnw
Link Posted: 12/3/2008 8:00:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Ok one more question... sorry and thank you.

The DPMS Panther with holes I want to use appears to be tagged most places as a muzzle brake or compensator and not a flash suppressor.  However according to the great link you guys just gave me.  (it's on there as a DPMS type C) http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15shootersSite/muzzledevices.msnw
it appears to require a threaded barrel.

I know that is a no-no.. so what if it's threaded on and then drilled and pinned or a tiny bit of weld or some other method....?

Basically I have a delton kit on order and that is the item I chose.  I assume that because they offered it, it's going on a threaded barrel?  If I choose something different, I'm still pretty sure the threaded barrel thing might be an issue.  

Maybe I'm being way too type A about all this crap but I don't want to commit any felonies.
Link Posted: 12/3/2008 8:47:21 PM EDT
[#47]
You would have to have it perm attached (pinned and welded) to make it CT legal.  That one you are looking at will be obnoxously loud as well.
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 11:37:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
That one you are looking at will be obnoxously loud as well.

+1

You may want to consider one of Kurt's Kustom "fake flash suppressors" which give the look of a flash suppressor without any of negative effects of a compensator/muzzlebrake.  They're simply considered "barrel extensions" because they don't actually do anything.  He makes models for threaded barrels (that would need to be pinned and welded) and he also makes a press-on version that skirts over the muzzle.  I've never seen one in CT, but know a few people who used these a few years back.

A loud muzzlebrake is not a great way to make friends at the range.

Link Posted: 12/4/2008 12:12:42 PM EDT
[#49]
http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=&idproduct=9

Expensive but probably the best all around break you can get.  It provides some flash suppression but is classified by the ATF as a non-flash suppressing break.  Provides excellent muzzle control as well.  When I finally take the plunge and buy a 6920 in pieces I will get one of these for a muzzle device (the one with the Gemtech lug).  

If you have to be stuck with a break, then might as well get one that looks cooler than the other ones
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=&idproduct=9

Expensive but probably the best all around break you can get.  It provides some flash suppression but is classified by the ATF as a non-flash suppressing break.  Provides excellent muzzle control as well.  When I finally take the plunge and buy a 6920 in pieces I will get one of these for a muzzle device (the one with the Gemtech lug).  

If you have to be stuck with a break, then might as well get one that looks cooler than the other ones

Nice, I like it..

I have more questions now though!

I think this is a good option, however... I am guessing my Delton kit is going to come with a threaded barrel.  Anyone know for sure?  

Also, seeing how I'm buying a Delton kit, does anyone have a recommendation from something they offer that I can change too in the meantime and/or less expensive?

Is there an actual list of which devices are legal or not for CT somewhere that I can look at? (something official)

Reading what the law says it sounds like I can be in trouble just for having all of these parts to assemble this rifle especially if they send me an upper with a threaded barrel.  Is that right?  Do I just hurry and get all my changes made?

Do I have to document that I permanently affixed my muzzle brake and is that sufficient to avoid a problem if the barrel was originally threaded?  Do I also have to document that I permanently affixed my formerly collapsible stock too?  I am pretty handy and have done some light gunsmithing type stuff to some of my other guns, Kimber 1911, Walther p22, Ruger 10/22 etc.  Is it legal for me to make these changes and am I really within the law by making these modifications myself?  If I do have to document it somehow, then how?

Guys, sorry for all these questions but I bet I'm not the only one curious about all this crap and this thread might be useful for the next guy.

Thanks again for all those taking time to help out.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top