Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2010 5:11:05 PM EDT
I was thinking that this forum was turning into a Machining forum instead of a gunsmithing forum.

Bren MKll
I lost interest in this project, over the summer. Started thinking about it the other day.
I still need to get some barrels and mags for it, and when I do that will really light the fire.
Outside is fully welded now, and pulled off the welding fixture. Inside needs to be welded. There will be some machining on the inside that I'm not sure how I'm going to do yet.

So lets see some pics of your Parts kit builds or projects.
Link Posted: 1/7/2010 6:25:28 PM EDT
[#1]
How are you able to ensure that receiver is going to be dimensionally correct?

Link Posted: 1/7/2010 6:42:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool
This will be interesting to watch. Great looking little jig set-up there.

Quoted:
How are you able to ensure that receiver is going to be dimensionally correct?

I was wondering how you know the spacing between the separate pieces ?

ETA............

Quoted:
I was thinking that this forum was turning into a Machining forum instead of a gunsmithing forum.

This is ARFcom............it's both One compliments the other quite nicely.
Link Posted: 1/7/2010 6:45:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Did you weld in the FA bolt block before finishing welding it up?
Link Posted: 1/7/2010 6:55:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Fixture was designed to hold the parts in the proper place. I did not build the fixture, or do the welding. A friend of mine purchased the fixture. Can't remember where he got it from at the moment. Weaponeer was selling one that is very simmilar.
There is brass pin in the rear section.
The front section is held in place by that brass plug, and gets pushed up against a stop.
Center section is also pushed up against a stop.

Here you go

Link Posted: 1/7/2010 7:00:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Did you weld in the FA bolt block before finishing welding it up?

Yes.
Also welded in the bolt carrier slots in the front of the Receiver. This receiver will not accept a FA bolt.

Link Posted: 1/7/2010 7:39:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Fixture was designed to hold the parts in the proper place. I did not build the fixture, or do the welding. A friend of mine purchased the fixture. Can't remember where he got it from at the moment. Weaponeer was selling one that is very simmilar.
There is brass pin in the rear section.
The front section is held in place by that brass plug, and gets pushed up against a stop.
Center section is also pushed up against a stop.

Here you go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4sdbJWHtPw

Ah haa...........very nice.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 9:59:36 AM EDT
[#7]
updates?
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 10:41:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Getting pretty busy in the shop right now. I suppose I could work on the kit while the machine is running, instead of reading all of the Humor on arfcom.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 2:44:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Getting pretty busy in the shop right now. I suppose I could work on the kit while the machine is running, instead of reading all of the Humor on arfcom.

youre supposed to be supportng the new super awesome gunsmithing forum

when you get a chance, some new pics would be nice.

Link Posted: 2/2/2010 4:22:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Thats a jumanra (or something like that) jig. Ive been looking for one of those. Wanna sell it?
Link Posted: 2/2/2010 5:02:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Gun_Crank, what wire did you use for the welding?
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 11:26:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thats a jumanra (or something like that) jig. Ive been looking for one of those. Wanna sell it?

Not my jig.

Link Posted: 2/3/2010 11:30:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Gun_Crank, what wire did you use for the welding?

I am good at removing metal, not adding it back on. I had a welder buddy of mine do the welding.

Tig welded with ER70S2 rod.

Link Posted: 2/3/2010 12:11:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks. From the pics it looked like you went the MIG route. (No offense))

I went with jumanra's build and the last hurdle that I am facing is the welding of the receiver.

Did you (your welder) use filler with the TIG or just fill?

I was going to use MIG with Hobart HB-18.

Btw, congrats on your MkII
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 12:15:16 PM EDT
[#15]
G_C, any updates?

Link Posted: 2/3/2010 1:40:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks. From the pics it looked like you went the MIG route. (No offense))

I went with jumanra's build and the last hurdle that I am facing is the welding of the receiver.

Did you (your welder) use filler with the TIG or just fill?

I was going to use MIG with Hobart HB-18.

Btw, congrats on your MkII

Eta: Thanks- None taken. Lets see all the Bren kits in this thread, not just mine. Post em if you got em.

No up dates yet.

The welder used filler in a couple spots. It is mostly weld. I think the sinner that was torch cutting my kit must have sneezed a few times while he was making the cuts.
It is an earlier kit. I think the current MGS kits are cut right through the piston tube area.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top