Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2010 9:50:39 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 10:17:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Great post dryflash.  I always enjoy your descriptive and pic-heavy posts.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 11:00:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Great photos - I take it that the (soft) sheet lead is some kind of lead flashing - in what proportion do you mix that in with other lead alloys that you're using?

Link Posted: 8/23/2010 11:11:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Those bullets look amazing!!!  I really need to start casting my own $50 per 500 is killing me.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 11:30:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Those bullets look amazing!!!  I really need to start casting my own $50 per 500 is killing me.

once you start you can't quit.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 11:49:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 12:06:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Awesome post.  Thanks!  I swore I would never cast my own bullets, but I've enjoyed reloading so much that I just might give it a shot.  For the $300 or so dollars it would take to get started, I think it's worth a shot.  It really wouldn't take that long to recoupe your money.  I just didn't realize that you could run through them so quickly.

How long does it take to size and lube them.  This is the part that I don't fully understand.  I noted that the OP in the other thread does not size his bullets. I thought this was a necessary step?  How is he lubing the bullets?  Obviously this would be a big time saver if there isn't a huge trade off somewhere.

Thanks again for the post.  Very informative.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 12:37:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 1:01:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I was just checking out the Magma Star sizer/luber Here on Youtube, that thing looks extremely efficient.  I wonder if anybody has any first hand experiece with it?
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 1:03:57 AM EDT
[#9]
The biggest thing related to casting i've learned in the past month is the wonders of some stuff that's called "Bull plate sprue lube".    I got a sample from a local casting buddy.  You can buy it on the castboolits website.

Put a couple drops on a Qtip and treat your hot mold about every 5lbs of lead (or so).   It makes a huge difference in how the Lee molds I have throw bullets.  

It comes in a small bottle that will probably last you many many thousands of bullets.  

I used to lube my molds with beeswax but that stuff built up and made a mess about every other casting I had to clean the molds thoroughly with brake cleaner and a wire brush.

This stuff leaves no residue at all if you use it sparingly.  

Link Posted: 8/24/2010 1:16:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I was just checking out the Magma Star sizer/luber Here on Youtube, that thing looks extremely efficient.  I wonder if anybody has any first hand experiece with it?

Yes, a buddy of mine has one and it is a very slick set up.

The only trick to them is to make them work really well, you need the base heater to keep the lube heated and keep cranking down the spring to push more lube in.  Once you get it set you just crank away and the lubed bullets just fall into the bucket below, the opposite of the way the Lee works.  

I was very impressed with the set up.  If my "No-Lube" set up had not worked out I was sooooo going to be a buy on this set up.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 1:18:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I use the  sprue lube and also use a graphite coating in my mold cavitys ,, works wonders
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 11:53:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 12:11:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, a buddy of mine has one and it is a very slick set up.

The only trick to them is to make them work really well, you need the base heater to keep the lube heated and keep cranking down the spring to push more lube in.  Once you get it set you just crank away and the lubed bullets just fall into the bucket below, the opposite of the way the Lee works.  

I was very impressed with the set up.  If my "No-Lube" set up had not worked out I was sooooo going to be a buy on this set up.

There are a lot of lubes out there that don't require the use of a heater. IIRC, the Orange Magic shouldn't(here anyway, unless it's winter).

The Lyman, Saeco, and RCBS lube/sizers do not push through like the lee setup. The Star lube/size machine does, and can be set up with a bullet feeder and an air pressure lube adjuster. I have used an RCBS machine enough to want the Star, simply due to the increased speed of the latter.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 12:52:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 7:23:25 AM EDT
[#15]
awesome pics 'flash!  I'm inspired to get back into casting maybe later this fall
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:24:09 PM EDT
[#16]
The Lee Tumble Lube molds work and are nice

All I've used have dropped bullets that have not needed sizing

It'll save you some money on getting started

Also have a method to reduce skimming I'll get a picture of and post next time we smelt
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 7:10:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I made up this pile of .357 ammo this morning with my new LNL AP.   6.5gr Unique and the Lee 158gr TL boolit.   About 300 rounds and I figure total cost comes out to around $18.

Heck with the new/lower cost of primers, $18 estimate may be high.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 9:43:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 9:45:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/8/2011 10:25:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top