Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/16/2008 7:03:51 PM EDT
Does anyone have a handle on the types of Wolf small rifle primers?

For example, Powder Valley has CCI product:  
CCI 400
CCI 450
CCI BR4
CCI 41

Powder Valley has the following Wolf lineup:
Wolf 223
Wolf small rifle
Wolf small rifle magnum

I think I have a handle on the CCI offerings but much less so about the Wolf as far as purpose and performance.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 8:01:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I have used the Wolf SRM and the Wolf "rem 223" primers in 223 loads.

They are what you want.

The Wolf SR is for low pressure rounds.

When I could no longer get Winchester SR primers, I made the switch.

A bonus is the price.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 8:10:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm using the wolf mag primers. They are cheaper then then the CCI450 and work just as well.
Link Posted: 11/24/2008 1:40:28 AM EDT
[#3]
The Wolfs are excellent primers. Stay away from the small rifle ones though as previously posted, they are for low pressure cartridges. For .223 I use the small rifle magnum. The only difference between the two is cup thickness according to a fellow named Bob Jensen in AZ who was the original importer of the Russian KVB primers (now under the Wolf name) and has done extensive testing of the new Wolf primers. He was involved with the US Palma team back then. I use the large rifle size for 6XC and .308.
Link Posted: 11/24/2008 11:32:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The Wolfs are excellent primers. Stay away from the small rifle ones though as previously posted, they are for low pressure cartridges. For .223 I use the small rifle magnum. The only difference between the two is cup thickness according to a fellow named Bob Jensen in AZ who was the original importer of the Russian KVB primers (now under the Wolf name) and has done extensive testing of the new Wolf primers. He was involved with the US Palma team back then. I use the large rifle size for 6XC and .308.

Everyone keeps saying stay away from the SR primers but I use them and havent had any problems, I have loaded up some rather hot loads with them as well and no problems. Having said that, still work you way up and be safe.
Link Posted: 11/24/2008 11:36:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought 6k of the 223 ones with my last PV order to see how they compare to CCI 450s.

I also bought some LR to see how those do as well.
Link Posted: 11/24/2008 5:25:09 PM EDT
[#6]
From an earlier inquiry. I was asking about Wolf Large Rifle.
I have been using Wolf small rifle magnum for quite a while. No malfunctions to date.

Quoted:
There are 3 different primers for each. I know that Wolf imported and sold the true 5.56 primer, but not real sure about the Nato type primer for the Large rifle.

Here you will see the Three Small Rifle primers

Primer type        Product #   Diameter/mm     Usage
Small Rifle         KVB-223       4,43     For Standard Rifle loads  
Small Rifle Magnum  KVB-5,56M     4,43     For 5,56 NATO cartridges  
Small Rifle Magnum  KVB-223M      4,43     For Magnum Rifle loads

We stock the KVB-223 and the KVB-556M, The 223 has a copper cup, and is for use in Bolt gun applications, the 556M Has a harder cup to aid in the prevention of slam firing, similar to what you have in CCI's Standard and Military primers. With Wolf's Standard being softer
There is a slight temperature difference between the 223 and 556 but nothing like the difference between the 223 and the 223M. The 223M is a true full blown Magnum primer.

I have shot the Standard Small Rifle in the 6PPC Cartridge /Stolle Panda Action with no failures, However a few shooters did pierce them. I really think it is a difference in the size of firing pin hole in the bolt face, mine is sleeved. Our Savage test rifle did fine, But our rem 700 PSS pierced them.

We tried the 556 primers and experience no failures in any of our rifles.

Anytime you make a component change you need to reduce and work up your loads to be on the safe side

Now to your Question about the Large Rifle, Same scenario

Primer type        Product #   Diameter/mm          Usage
Large Rifle           KVB-7        5,33            For Standard Rifle loads  
Large Rifle           KVB-7,62     5,33            For 7,62 NATO cartridges  
Large Rifle Magnum    KVB-7M       5,33            For Magnum Rifle Loads  

Here we do not stock the Nato listed primer, it was not available at the time. And in the case of the Large Rifle the Standard KVB-7 is a standard cup not softer copper like in the Small Rifle line. Differences will be that the 762 has a harder cup and is a little hotter than the Standard primer, but not a significant difference like there is between the Standard and Magnum primer as far as temperature.

Using a Wolf Standard Large Rifle Primer in a Semi Auto will be like using a Standard  Large Rifle Remington Primer

And Again Anytime you make a component change you need to reduce and work up your loads to be on the safe side

Hope this helps someone, I am going to bed now

Chris

Link Posted: 11/24/2008 6:09:02 PM EDT
[#7]
we need to tack a thread about wolf primers!
Link Posted: 11/24/2008 7:07:59 PM EDT
[#8]
So how do the sku numbers match what Powder Valley has?
Link Posted: 11/24/2008 9:34:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
we need to tack a thread about wolf primers!

I have two wolf primer threads tacked up in "useful information".
Link Posted: 7/24/2010 10:24:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I've used Wolf SRM primers in both my ARs for about 2,500rds and they work just fine
with no failures to report.  I've noted that they don't get as large a
dimple when the action cycles from the floating firing pin.  That
indicates to me that their primer cup is in fact harder.  I've noticed a bit lower std deviation with them in my chrono testing which leads me to believe that they burn a bit hotter than the Win SR primers I've been using.

I've also used some 3,800 of them in my 38spl+P and 357mag loads for my leverguns. I lightened the hammer spring on my Rossi as part of an action job IAW Steve's Gunz's instructions and it worked fine with the CCIs but when I switched to the Wolf I noted some failures.  The easy fix for me was to add a cut down washer behind the hammer spring to increase the striking force a bit (but not all the way back to original).  No more issues.

At the height of the primer shortage, I scored 3 sleeves of them for under $28/K.  After going through about 6,500 of the 15,000 I have, I'm happy with their performance.

Link Posted: 7/24/2010 11:09:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I have no idea what you guys are talking about.  I am using Wolf Small Rifle .223 and have not had any issues using it with .223.

The Wolf Small Rifle primer is exactly that, a small rifle primer.  The Wolf NATO primer is harder cup to prevent slam fires.  The Wolf Small Rifle Magnum is hotter (just like all magnum).

Here is the Wolf Small Rifle Primer that I am using:

Link Posted: 7/24/2010 1:31:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Per PVI (Powder Valley Inc.) from another Wolf primer thread...

Quoted:
We have sold over 100 million of the Wolf primers.  As with any primer you will have some people who say they hate the primer and some who absolutely love them.  We have had very, very few complaints regardin the Wolf primers.  The #1 complaint was the AR's piercing the primers.  This is the sole reason Wolf began importing the "223" primer.  It is specifically designed for AR style rifles.  If you will be using primers in an AR make sure you purchase either the 223 or the Small Rifle Mag.  Some people swear by one over the other but with my personal experience I prefer the 223 primer.

Link Posted: 7/24/2010 1:37:13 PM EDT
[#13]
For those of you who have used Wolf, take a look at the Tula primers.  Exact same primers.  Much less expensive.  I posted this information on our facebook page and we now have the Tula primers listed.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Winfield-KS/Powder-Valley/114579301922351?v=wall&__a=23

The Small Rifle primer can be used for anything that calls for a small rifle primer.  These primers have a thinner cup.  I compare these to the Federal primers.  They are soft.  We recommend these for bolt guns.  We do not recommend these for AR style rifles due to the chance that the firing pin on an AR could pierce the primer.

The information that the representatives from Wolf provided us is as follows:

223 Primer  (KVB223M)  Exact same compound as the Small Rifle primer.  Only difference is that the 223 has a harder cup.  

Small Rifle Mag  (KVB556M)  Hotter primer for use in magnum loads.

Now, in practical applications I can tell you the feedback we have received is that most people can't tell a difference between the 223 and Small rifle mag.  We have made repeated requests with the folks from Wolf to provide us with the differences in compounds so that we can provide this information to customers.  I think that Chris, who posted earlier, has done some testing of his own and has provided good information.

We have a representative who is going to be in the Muron Manufacturing facillity (where Wolf and Tula primers are manufactured) in a few weeks.  We will seek to clarify this further when we meet with them.
Link Posted: 7/24/2010 2:56:53 PM EDT
[#14]
well I'll be darn, looking at the PV site, I guess they do have a .223 small rifle and a plain small rifle

All this time I thought they were the same.  Lucky for me I bought the right one (by accident).
Link Posted: 7/24/2010 7:53:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Just placed my first PVI ordere ever.. ordered some Tula SR 223 primers.  Will let you know how they work out.

Thanks to PVI for making them available!

Best
Rhino Sends
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top