Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Armor Plates (Page 1 of 12)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 12
Posted: 2/18/2006 10:15:51 AM EDT
Anyone sell these to civies?  I was looking to some 10" x 12" plates for my Wasatch.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:09:57 AM EDT
[#1]
You can find them on Evilbay or if you do a google search for SAPI plates or Stand alone plates for sale...
                                                                                                          Bushy Out...
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:14:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: terdferguson] [#2]
There's some here for sale on the EE in the Mil-Spec Clothing and Gear forum.

***ETA*** I've also heard people talk about this site favorably. They have decent prices although I've not had any experience with them.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:36:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Saw those.  Would like to get the Level IV instead of the III.

I'll check out that site.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:55:27 PM EDT
[#4]
http://www.interamer.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=360

Sorry if it's not hot, I can never figure out how to post a link someone can just click on...

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:59:43 PM EDT
[#5]
http://bodyarmour.safeshopper.com

Here is another, it's where I got mine. Unless you feel you are going up against bad guys with Armor piercing .30cal ammo...Level 4 is over kill in my book for a civy.

I went level 3 for weight and my own threat assessment of what I may need them for. I use them for training classes and for future classes that require body armor as a prerequisite for indoor/outdoor shoot houses.

Body armor is pretty easy to purchase with out having to go off Ebay

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:09:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: topgunpilot20] [#6]

Originally Posted By Harv24:
www.interamer.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=360

Sorry if it's not hot, I can never figure out how to post a link someone can just click on...

Clicking on the globe picture above font size 4 is the easiest way.

bodyarmour.safeshopper.com

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:35:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:57:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: terdferguson] [#8]

Originally Posted By topgunpilot20:

www.interamer.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=360

Clicking on the globe picture above font size 4 is the easiest way.

bodyarmour.safeshopper.com

To add to that, after clicking on the globe, a window will pop up. That window is for if you want to use words for your link. For example, blah blah blah, go "here". With here being highlighted in blue, that's what someone would click on to see your link. After entering your text for the link, another window will pop up. That window is for the actual address for the link. That's where the www.blah blah.com goes. That's called a hyperlink. No web address is actually displayed. A word or group of words are highlighted in blue to click on.

If you just want the web address displayed, just enter the web address in both the first and second window. Here's an example...

Look at this.

i12.photobucket.com/albums/a204/1313terdferguson1313/chuckposter.jpg

Sorry for the highjack, but I think everyone ought to learn how to hyperlink. It saves so much b.s. copying and pasting.

For those of you who are curious, but too lazy to click on the link, here's where it goes...

And any excuse to get Chuck Norris out there, lol.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:42:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harv24] [#9]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:44:19 PM EDT
[#10]
my first attempt, I thought maybe I had it, but the link leads no where... I'll have to keep trying, I WILL get this.....
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:54:09 PM EDT
[#11]

=www.interamer.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=354&source=gaw&kw=ballistic-armor-plates-ex

edit the link and delete the '=' in front of 'www', and you should have it.

Dave
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:07:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks buck-naked. that did it....
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:42:10 PM EDT
[#13]

http://bodyarmour.safeshopper.com

Here is another, it's where I got mine. Unless you feel you are going up against bad guys with Armor piercing .30cal ammo...Level 4 is over kill in my book for a civy.

I went level 3 for weight and my own threat assessment of what I may need them for. I use them for training classes and for future classes that require body armor as a prerequisite for indoor/outdoor shoot houses.

Body armor is pretty easy to purchase with out having to go off Ebay

Harv,

Did you go with the steel or cermanic LVL 3?  If steel, how thick are they & do they only weigh 6lbs.?   I was trying to order some DBT 5mm steel, but they told me 8 to 10 weeks before they're in stock.     Not to mention they almost cost as much as ceramic.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:14:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I went with Steel and they truly are only 6 lb. each. they are 1/2" thick but that includes the closed cell neoprene back and the ballistic cloth cover front.

There work good for what I need and are Multi hit rated for stand alone 7.62 x 39.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:01:29 PM EDT
[#15]

I went with Steel and they truly are only 6 lb. each. they are 1/2" thick but that includes the closed cell neoprene back and the ballistic cloth cover front.

There work good for what I need and are Multi hit rated for stand alone 7.62 x 39.

Thanks, I'll probably order some this weekend.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:08:49 PM EDT
[#16]

I didn't see the stand alone plates.  Am I missing them?  The ones on the page are for use with existing soft armor, which I don't plan on using.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:59:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Freakzilla] [#17]
KEJO ARMOR CORPORATION! The best, most reasonably priced plates out there!  

www.bodyarmorcompany.com
Check it out!

One disclaimer though, the steel plates are single curve square plates, no operator cut as in pic. They weigh 6 pounds and stop the AK (7.62x39) and are padded and wrapped with Balistic Nylon

The owner is great too, a vet of the Rhodesian war
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:17:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:22:31 PM EDT
[#19]
+1 for Kejo, got the Steel Plates myself and they are just fine.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:25:53 PM EDT
[#20]
here's what they look like

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:25:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 12:48:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Tag

Good stuff to know.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:11:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Lynch_Family] [#23]
Can the  US sapi plate 80cal ball protection be use as a stand alone plate in a wasatch. If not whats the reason. I sean some test online where they stop a 308 with the plate bythem selvelf with little deformentaion to the plate. Harv24. How much are the steel plates. I am interested in a set of those.
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:50:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Hoping you guys can answer some newbie questions I have about plates.

Is level IV stand-alone ceramic multi-hit with non-AP ammo, or is it one-hit only regardless of the ammo?

Level III stand-alone steel is multi-hit with non-AP ammo, correct?

A stupid question, are stand-alone plates also effective against common pistol calibers? If so, then unless additional coverage is desired, there is no need for soft armor with stand-alone plates, right?

Are regular 10"x12" plates compatible with the Eagle plate carrier?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:19:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:48:11 AM EDT
[#26]
bump

Kejo
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:22:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:26:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Congrats on a thread about body armor.  Most poeple spend their time talking about the latest do-hicky for their rifle, new mag followers etc etc.  It seems the fact that in a gun fight the other person may be firing back doesn't even enter their mind.  Body armor is just as important as your rifle and your training.
I have two Level III plates myself.
Very good then!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:01:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Face_N_The_Crowd] [#29]
I want a set of plates and I am getting ready to order soon but I have a few questions:

Is IV stand alone worth it? It looks like III stand alone will take several hits from a 7.62 x 39.

Is there a difference between IV stand alone and multi hit  IV?

Should your back plate have angled corners or square?

What is the best way to size for plates (where do you measure on your body?) / What size do I need? I am 6'2" / 230# - 46/48 long suit jacket.

TIA
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:06:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SHIVAN] [#30]

Originally Posted By Face_N_The_Crowd:
Is IV stand alone worth it? It looks like III stand alone will take several hits from a 7.62 x 39.

Level III are multi hit and can take, I think, five or six SS109 hits.

A Level IV needs to only stop one round of AP.  It can fail after that.  A Level IV multi hit, which I haven't seen available yet, should be able to stop several AP rounds.

I have only been reading about this for a couple months so my information/background is limited, but the above should be correct.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:08:19 PM EDT
[#31]

Originally Posted By SHIVAN:

Originally Posted By Face_N_The_Crowd:

Level III are multi hit and can take, I think, five or six SS109 hits.

A Level IV needs to only stop one round of AP.  It can fail after that.  A Level IV multi hit, which I haven't seen available yet, should be able to stop several AP rounds.

I have only been reading about this for a couple months so my information/background is limited, but the above should be correct.

So your saying lvl IV is not multi hit rated but lvl III is?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:33:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harv24] [#32]
You need to understand the NIJ rating. To receive a level 4 rating , the plate has to take ONE hit for 30 cal Armor Piercing...that's it.

To receive a level 3 rating it has to take multiple hits at a specific spacing with NATO M80 30 cal Ball
The ratings are very caliber specific.  Will a level 3 plate stop 9MM rds??? It's not tested for it, but it will.

I did level 3 based on my perceived needs. Will I ever need to defend against 30 AP??? not Likely.

Since the plates are for training and classes that require additional Shoot house protection I went with level 3 as I believe level 4 is over kill. The KEJO steel plate is A true level 3 if backed by Soft Level 2Aor 3A armor.. but has been tested and rated  to defeat Multiple AK rds (7.62MMX39) Stand alone (no Soft Armor needed)

The key to Armor is understanding YOUR NEEDS. Figure out what you need and then the choice is easy.
Going to a war zone??? Haji's with Dragunov SVDs firing 7.62 rimmed AP at ya?? you need Level 4

Classes where you might accidently take a hit from a student (rare but so are Plane crashes from a statistical point of view) True Level 3 is all you should need.

If you LEO you run a soft Armor 2A or 3A vest every day, so  getting a level 3 or 4 Inconjuction Plate in a carrier you keep in the trunk of your cruiser makes the most amount of Sense. No need to go with a CIRAS type carrier.

Just my take on it.

The Kejo Plates ran me $120 ea and Are a good value . Their a true 6 lb. plate in a square single curve configuration.

CPC  ceramic Level 3 in conjuction plates can be had for $150 ea. , but are ceramic and you need to understand their limitations as far as abuse/being dropped , etc. Steel can be abused and dropped till the cows come home. just my take on it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:37:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:56:08 PM EDT
[#34]

Originally Posted By metalsaber:
So your saying lvl IV is not multi hit rated but lvl III is?

No.  NIJ is.

www.ncjrs.org/pdffiles1/nij/183651.pdf
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:03:40 AM EDT
[#35]

Originally Posted By VA-gunnut:
I just received my plates from Kejo today. So far everything looks good.

Pics man!  And what kind of carrier are you using?  

For that matter, for those of you using plates, can you give us a review of the plate carrier you are using? I am sure it would be helpful to all of us who are learning about body armor!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:15:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:28:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Submariner] [#37]

Since the plates are for training and classes that require additional Shoot house protection I went with level 3 as I believe level 4 is over kill. The KEJO steel plate is A true level 3 if backed by Soft Level 2Aor 3A armor.. but has been tested and rated  to defeat Multiple AK rds (7.62MMX39) Stand alone (no Soft Armor needed).

Harv-Which soft armor, if any, have you chosen?  I think the WV classes require both (if I have read the material correctly).
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:10:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:29:07 PM EDT
[#39]

Originally Posted By VA-gunnut:
OK, here are some pics. I purchased my levelIII plates from Kenjo. I bought these because like Harv, they would best meet my needs. I've been aquiring my stuff for an upcoming shoot house class too. Here is a pic of one of the plates.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=45503

These plates need soft armor behind them to reach levelIII rating. I already had a IIIA concealable vest, so this wasn't really an issue.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=45505

I also decided to get creative for this project. I had a surplus GI vest that wasn't serving any purpose. So I decided to take the Kevlar out of it. These vests have 13 layers of kevlar in them. I took a scrap piece to the range on Sunday for a little testing. I fired a 9mm 115gr FMJ and a .40 165 Gold Dot at the kevlar from about 5yds. The 9mm penetrated about 4 layers, and the .40 about 3 layers of the kevlar. I made two pieces that would back up my plates in the carrier. This should allow me to use the carrier with or without the IIA vest I have.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=45504

For the plate carrier, I decided to go with the Wasatch. I chose this one because it came with the ability to carry rifle mags without having to add carriers to the system. This feature and the prices is what sold me on it.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=45506

I have a class coming up this weekend, and I plan on running the gear through some of it's paces to see how it holds up. I want to try and work out any bugs before the shoothouse class I plan on attending.

Wow1  Great info, thanks!

So with the plates, kevlar, wasatch, and loaded ammo how much does your rig weigh?  I am guessing 30-35 lbs fully loaded?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:35:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MlTCHELL] [#40]
Anyone know what the (Kejo) Level IV plates are rated for without a vest supporting?  I couldn't quite figure it out.

Also, has anyone who owns the Kejo plates been dissatisfied with the fit?  The "Bulletproofme" site states that their plates are "curved in three dimensions" rather than just one dimension like the Kejo plates.  Anyone think the Kejo plates fit like crap?

What about SS109/M855?  Would Level III likely stop steel core 5.56mm or would one have to go with Level IV?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:19:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Marksman14] [#41]
OK. VA, you can help me out then.

KEJO LEVEL III PLATES

Are those the plates you purchased?

The link states that they are level III.

But...they are infact only level IIIa, unless you use them in conjunction with a Level II soft armor carrier?

I'm confused because your panels say one thing, and their website says another.

From what I gather, level IV plates are ceramic only, and are only good for 1 hit from ANY type of firearm, but provide protection up to 7.62x54r

Level III is rated up to 6 hits from  7.62x51 ball ammo.

Level IIIa will protect, well, it doesnt matter.  I'd rather just have Level III and be done with it.

So, assuming I am correct above, I believe level III would be the best route.  

My questions are as follows-

1- Are the KEJO plates I posted a link to level III stand alones?  IF NOT, where can I find some level III stand alones at a decent price?

2- What are the benefits of ceramic vs steel?  Level IV is ceramic, and only rated for 1 hit.  So, does that mean all ceramic plates are good for only 1 hit?  Please clarify that, as well as any other benefits ceramic  has over steel, or the other way around.

From what I am gathering, it seems as if Level III steel plates are what I am looking for.  

I will be using the plates with an Eagle Plate carrier, so using soft armor probably will not happen.  Just seems like it would be a pain to be wearing BDU's, soft armor, then an eagle plate carrier with the plates in them over all that.  It also seems like it would be a pricey way to go, though I don't know how much soft armor runs.  IF YOU THINK soft armor underneath my eagle plate carrier w/plates is a good setup, please let me know, it may be a good setup.  It just doesn't seem logical to me.   But I may be wrong.

Sorry for asking so many questions, but its difficult to find the answers on the manufacturers websites, and frankly, I'd like to know EXACTLY what I am getting.  This isn't something I'd like to gamble with.

Thanks for your help,
Scott
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:59:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Also, anyone know anything about these Kejo plates?

KEJO Ceramic Level III

Are those real level III plates (as in 6 hits with 7.62x51 ball)?

They seem a bit inexpensive for a ceramic level III stand alone, and only weigh in at about 2.7kg

Yeah...I'm confused.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:13:31 AM EDT
[#43]

Originally Posted By Marksman14:
Also, anyone know anything about these Kejo plates?

KEJO Ceramic Level III

Are those real level III plates (as in 6 hits with 7.62x51 ball)?

They seem a bit inexpensive for a ceramic level III stand alone, and only weigh in at about 2.7kg

Yeah...I'm confused.

Scott,

if and when you get this sorted out, let me know...I suspect I am kooking at gettinga  similar rig to yours put together, maybe we can do some product comparison, etc.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:19:59 AM EDT
[#44]
"From what I gather, level IV plates are ceramic only, and are only good for 1 hit from ANY type of firearm, but provide protection up to 7.62x54r"

Not necessarily. I have a set of Level IV plates, and they're steel. 6.5lb each, by Progressive Technologies. They are NIJ certified Level IV (one round ), but when I visited the place, they showed me several plates that had taken an entire 20-rd mag from a BAR; ugly looking, but zero penetrations. You ain't doing that with a ceramic plate.

But I'd love to acquire some of the lighter level 3+ multi-hit plates; hard to find some to buy from a reputable dealer (not Ebay crap)...
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:56:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SHIVAN] [#45]
Level IV plates only have to stop ONE round of their threat category to get that rating.

HOWEVER, many will stop several rounds of AP.

HOWEVER, most dealers, makers and users will tell you that all bets are off on a Level IV plate that takes two AP rounds in nearly the same spot.  You are probably gonna be messed up.

I scored what I am hoping are brand new TAP GAMMA III+ plates at 5.2lbs each.

NIJ Threat Level III+
Stand-alone
Multi-hit capability
Thinness: 1.0"
10"x12" - 5.2 lbs.
Defeats:
7.62x54mm R LPS 148 gr. at 2400+ fps
5.56x45mm M855 Ball 162 gr. at 3300+ fps
7.62mmx51mm M80 at 2925+ fps
7.62mm NATO 148 gr. (.308 Cal.) FMJ at 2780 fps

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:42:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Submariner] [#46]

Originally Posted By billclo:
But I'd love to acquire some of the lighter level 3+ multi-hit plates; hard to find some to buy from a reputable dealer (not Ebay crap)...

Try this gentleman for what SHIVAN bought.  You will not be diappointed.  Seller is almost out.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=90&t=325596
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:48:53 AM EDT
[#47]

Originally Posted By Submariner:

Try this gentleman for what SHIVAN bought.  You will not be diappointed.  Seller is almost out.

I've seen it, thanks. I'm just not comfortable buying protective gear from someone who I can't verify is a legit dealer of that company...there are alot of ripoffs out there, Ebay'ers come to mind.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:00:17 PM EDT
[#48]
TAG
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:00:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Tag.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:23:24 PM EDT
[#50]

Originally Posted By Submariner:

I've seen it, thanks. I'm just not comfortable buying protective gear from someone who I can't verify is a legit dealer of that company...there are alot of ripoffs out there, Ebay'ers come to mind.

I understand.  There is always Botach at twice the price.  Perhaps SHIVAN will tell us where he bought his.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 12
Armor Plates (Page 1 of 12)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top