Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2007 12:11:59 AM EDT
Yeah, I'm an idiot.

I've used mineral spirits in the past to clean parts. Dump some in a little tray, let'em soak, and clean them up the next day. I was recently doing some cleaning up and I cracked a glass bottle of Hoppes 9. I was looking for something to dump it in, so I poured the rest of it into my tray of Mineral Spirits.

I was cleaning the P22 the other day and stuck the slide in it, went to work. Got busy when I got home and didn't get to it until tonight.

Looks like I have a two tone P22 now.  After I polish it up I think it will look pretty good, but
Link Posted: 8/18/2007 12:18:03 AM EDT
[#1]
So Hoppes 9 mixed with mineral spirits = eats blueing?
Link Posted: 8/18/2007 2:07:05 AM EDT
[#2]
we just got a p22 and I hope you didn't mess yours up too bad . I would recomend in the future that you simply use hoppes9 by it's self . We cleaned ours and had no issues that you describe , my guess is the mineral spirits combined with the hoppes reacts with the coating in some way . By the way ours was right on out of the box , how does yours shoot ? Did you try any CCI stingers out of it yet ? We have only shot the cheap American eagle(federal)and it did good .

Eric
Link Posted: 8/18/2007 3:53:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd let it soak in MS before with no ill effects, but never for more than 20-24 hours, and never MS mixed with Hoppes 9.  I'm not sure if the MS/H9 combo, or the fact that I scrubbed it good and left it for a couple days.  

A little part that was left sticking out had the finish left on it, so I let that part soak on the bottom overnight and it took the rest off.  There were a couple of little spots left but steel wool took them right off.

eta:
To answer your question for ammo, Stingers are the best but they are also the most expensive.   If you really want a treat, shoot the Stingers after dark, if you can.  All I really shoot through it anymore is the Federal 550 bulk packs from Walmart.   $9.88 for 550 rounds is pretty good.

It shoots great, but MAKE SURE as well as the gun, you clean the magazines too.  I was having all kinds of problems, and cursing the gun, but most of my problems were from the dirty magazines jamming up.   I cleaned them up and it works GREAT now.  

I'm just waiting on my suppressor right now
Link Posted: 8/18/2007 12:16:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's the pic.   It cleaned up pretty good.

Link Posted: 8/19/2007 5:45:04 PM EDT
[#5]
That looks good. what a cool accident
Link Posted: 8/19/2007 10:58:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I think it's going to be tough to keep it looking nice with the limited handling I've done since I put it back together.  I might look at getting it chromed or something eventually... I like the shiny look, and I don't have another bi-tone pistol.   It's PHAT yo!
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 8:09:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Where in OH are you? I could reblue it for you if you want, leaving it that way it will rust very quickly and easily.

Hoppe's #9 will remove bluing.
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 8:48:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Oops!
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 11:32:36 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Where in OH are you? I could reblue it for you if you want, leaving it that way it will rust very quickly and easily.

Isn't the slide on the p22 just cast zinc or the like?

So it can't be traditionally "blued" can it?  what's there originally is a paint.

Link Posted: 8/21/2007 6:35:44 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Isn't the slide on the p22 just cast zinc or the like?

So it can't be traditionally "blued" can it?  what's there originally is a paint.

Did not know that Gun Cote it is then
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top