Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/17/2006 3:11:13 PM EDT
Well, it has taken over a year and a good bit of $,  but my MAK is finally done. I posted some pics earlier, but now they are gone, so I will repost them.

Here is how it started. It was a slant cut stamped reciever that was drilled for the underfolding stock.  Picked it up from a local boardmember.

I picked up the underfolding stock and grip from another boardmember, as well as a Tapco FCG, us muzzlebrake, and us mag followers and floorplates.

But is still wasn't right. It had a hole in the rear so I chopped the tang off and sent it to Troy at InRange.  This is the work he did.

After a quick touch up job with alumahyde II from Brownells it was looking pretty good. But I still was not happy with it. It had a "garage" threading job that did not allow any kind of brake to stay on. I even tried one of those adapters that has tension screws to hold it in place. Did not work. I then found a Type 56 preban barrel on sale in the EE. I snatched it up quickly. Then it was the waiting game for Troy to find time to swap it out for me.  While waiting, I picked up a US gas piston as well.

Well, it got back on Monday and I am verry happy with how it turned out!

Now I just need to get to the range and see how the new barrel does!
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 3:18:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you change out the rear trunion?
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 3:19:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice !!!
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 3:45:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I like it!
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 3:53:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Did you change out the rear trunion?

No, the chinese reciever is thick enough to support the stock without a full rear trunion. I just had Troy close the rear with a steel plate below the original.
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 5:33:39 PM EDT
[#5]
That is a beautiful MAK. Great job!
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 6:34:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I remember when you first posted the pics, and was stunned by the quality of the welding up of the rear of the receiver. Now the thing looks beautiful! Really nice work man!
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 6:42:05 PM EDT
[#7]
wow, very nice...
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 6:58:11 PM EDT
[#8]
That's one hell of a MAKeover!

Seriously, congrats on the finished product. I've always liked MAK-90's...especially "corrected" ones, like yours.

Scott
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 6:59:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Sweet!
Link Posted: 5/18/2006 8:13:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Ive always liked the idea of getting a beat up crap gun and turning it into beauty. But you gotta remeber that it has to at least have good fundamentals like a good barrel and trigger and accuracy. The MAK-90 is such a gun! It is the perfect "project gun" that can be had for 400$ then built up into a $700 gun. IT IS essentially the same gun as the pre-ban Norincos,same quality parts and thicker barrel and receiver. But it is cheap becuase it is "post ban" (no bayonet, muzzle break etc) and it has a lopped off thumbhole receiver. But now with the ban gone these guns can be made into anything you want as long as you can find a way to get the parts for it. Excellent job.
Link Posted: 5/18/2006 12:45:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Range Report:
Well, function was fine. I shot 20 rounds at 25 yards without any problems. Group was not too bad, low and left. I just need to adjust the front sight - I cannot seem to find my sight tool at the moment.
Link Posted: 5/18/2006 1:14:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Great job on your Mak. Luckily my Mak had the underfolder rear trunion still installed. My job was much easier. I still want to change my FSB and Gas block for the bayo lug and rod holder.
Link Posted: 5/18/2006 1:35:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm lucky the pluged underfolder mak90 I got did not have the piece cut out of the rear.....just the rear tang welded on
Link Posted: 5/19/2006 5:01:26 AM EDT
[#14]
nice, did u replace the whole barrel assembly or just the front sight & gas block?
Link Posted: 5/19/2006 5:52:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
nice, did u replace the whole barrel assembly or just the front sight & gas block?

Entire barrel assembly was replaced. The old one had a poor threading job.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top