BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/22/2009 1:13:52 PM EDT
I was just wondering if anyone had a set of instructions for doing a good paracord wrap job of a triangle side folding stock. I would like to minimize the whole cheek burning thing when shooting in 105+ degree temps in the sun (as I have been doing lately).
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 1:35:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ARCANGEL] [#1]
This where posted by CXS a while ago I wrapped my underfolder using them. Hope this help.

Link Posted: 7/22/2009 3:20:05 PM EDT
[#2]
This is a good candidate for a sticky.
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 6:43:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By JSHMNGHM:
This is a good candidate for a sticky.

+1!

Thanks for that!
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 8:33:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Can we get a pic of the whole stock with the paracord in place?

Link Posted: 7/22/2009 11:21:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 11:24:44 PM EDT
[#6]
In its latest configuration I have a 1/4" strip of Neoprene under flat Paracord.

It gives a nice soft cheekweld..

CXS
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 11:40:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a dump question...
Where can I buy some paracord?
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 11:45:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shrike37] [#8]
Originally Posted By travinh:
I have a dump question...
Where can I buy some paracord?

I bought a bunch of this a while ago:

http://www.armynavydeals.com/asp/products_details.asp?SKU=180&ST=2&Type%20II%20Commercial%20Paracord
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 11:52:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Another suggestion:

Get yourself a surplus Russian trauma bandage and field tourniquet and wrap it up like the guys in the field - stuff the bandage in the inside of the stock and wrap the tourniquet around it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 11:54:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Custom-X_Sponjah] [#10]

Originally Posted By Rogue-Sasquatch:

Another suggestion:
Get yourself a surplus Russian trauma bandage and field tourniquet and wrap it up like the guys in the field - stuff the bandage in the inside of the stock and wrap the tourniquet around it.

CXS

Link Posted: 7/23/2009 2:46:33 AM EDT
[#11]
What are those pictures from?
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 7:49:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I like it but do you have any concern that the stock will rust under the paracord?
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 9:03:53 AM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By jehu:

I like it but do you have any concern that the stock will rust under the paracord?

I'm not worried..
Its an AK..

CXS

Link Posted: 7/23/2009 9:33:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Emegbers:

9th company i think
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 9:55:07 AM EDT
[#15]

Originally Posted By wesmerc:

9th company i think
Yep..

I took the screenshots. Good movie..

CXS

Link Posted: 7/23/2009 11:14:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By jehu:

It is worth the chance to me.  Plus, if it has a layer of paint that is undamaged under the paracord, then the chances are greatly mitigated.
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 11:50:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 11:47:20 PM EDT
[#18]
The question that begs to be asked:

Approximately what length of paracord does one need to wrap their stock in such a manner?
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 12:07:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Custom-X_Sponjah] [#19]

Originally Posted By ARman15:

The question that begs to be asked:

Approximately what length of paracord does one need to wrap their stock in such a manner?

IIRC I used 20'...

After the trimming and whatnot It was probably around 15'..

Better to cut some off than not have enough..

CXS

Link Posted: 8/12/2009 2:36:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Not exactly an AK, but I did this for my krinker plinker. Came out pretty well.

Link Posted: 8/22/2009 4:05:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Like the paracord idea and now see how to make it stay thanks.  What kind of pouch is the ak laying on?  Looks nice and has pistol mag pouches also.  Thanks hope to hear about the pouch and where I can get one as well.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 7:23:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Melendez402] [#22]
Hey CXS how's that Henderson holding? Mines is still  running like a champ. I love it. Damn I miss their builds
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 8:17:40 PM EDT
[#23]

Originally Posted By Melendez402:

Hey CXS how's that Henderson holding? Mines is still  running like a champ. I love it. Damn I miss their builds

Still going balls out.

I've been contemplating picking up a 5.45 Saiga, Russian Triangle Folder, and the rest of the parts I need and sending it to em to play with.

Just cant get the funds together right now to jump into another Caliber.

CXS

Link Posted: 9/9/2009 7:35:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Melendez402] [#24]
Originally Posted By Custom-X_Sponjah:

Originally Posted By Melendez402:

Still going balls out.
I've been contemplating picking up a 5.45 Saiga, Russian Triangle Folder, and the rest of the parts I need and sending it to em to play with.
Just cant get the funds together right now to jump into another Caliber.

CXS

Yeah I feel you bud. I'm thinking about  a Mossberg 930 Special Purpose and a Glock 19 OD green, but every time I have the cash something pop's up. Take care man. By the way nice post on the paracord wrap.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:38:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Towertopper] [#25]
I would go to the plumbing department at the hardware store and buy a 1/4 oz cup of food grade silicon paste and smear it on the stock before I wrapped it and wipe off to excess when done, then spray another food grade silicon over the wraps and blot dry. I like the food grade silicon because it does not have the petro-chemicals in it that the regular types have and doesn't break down the cord.

I'm a parachute rigger, skydiver, and BASE jumper, hence "Towertopper".

I've seen closing pins on rigs that had been stored packed up for a long time (couple of years) and the cord draws moisture to the point that the closing pins looked like they had file marks on them from corrosion/rust.

You'll have a nice spiral design on the stock if you took the cord off in a few years if the stock is only blued.

Just my experience and opinion and it can't hurt.

The cord you can buy off eBay from de-militarized canopies or buy new from Paragear.
Paragear
Link Posted: 10/9/2009 1:19:58 AM EDT
[#26]
another good source for para cord.  link
Link Posted: 11/22/2009 6:38:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Let me toss in an idea...Why not just buy a small black rubber hose/tube and slice down the middle and clip it over the top of the stock? Easy to take off on and nice cushion.
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 6:34:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Blast:
Let me toss in an idea...Why not just buy a small black rubber hose/tube and slice down the middle and clip it over the top of the stock? Easy to take off on and nice cushion.

+1
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 10:19:36 AM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By FreedomUSCG:

+1

I could but, it wouldn't look as sexy as this.

CXS

Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:06:43 PM EDT
[#30]
or this

Link Posted: 12/13/2009 1:09:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BarGunner] [#31]
It had some spare time today and decided to try my hand at wrapping some paracord on a couple of stocks. I've wanted to try the paracord for a while and I had this thread tagged, so today I followed the instructions and ended up doing four stocks. It was really easy, thanks to the instructions and pictures. I had it wrapped so tight that I had to put the free end in a vise in order to pull the loop tight. If I had left the free end long enough, I problably could have looped it around a screwdriver handle or something similar and pulled the loop out. I used 14' of cord on the tiangle sidefolder and 12' on the Tantal and I didn't have any problems.

Picture of a AK74 sidefolder.

Picture of a Tantal sidefolder.
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 9:46:10 PM EDT
[#32]
My first attempt on my new SLR-106.  Thanks for the great instructions.

Link Posted: 12/25/2009 10:10:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Just got my Yugo under folder.  Assume I can wrap it in paracord as well.  Anyone got picks of an under folder?  BTW, thanks for the topic.
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 9:05:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BarGunner] [#34]
Here's a couple of pix of a Polish underfolder I did the other day. It belongs to a friend and he's a lefty. The safety lever works with the paracord on the left side, but it is close. I used 11' of cord and still ended up cutting 1' off when it was finished.

Link Posted: 1/19/2010 7:18:37 PM EDT
[#35]
So I've been unsuccessfully scouring the web for a while now and am going to just ask here... Where in the heck can I get some of that flat paracord? Not the round regular 550 stuff, but whatever the flat type is?
Link Posted: 1/19/2010 7:35:31 PM EDT
[#36]
got mine at a local Army surplus store
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 11:09:22 AM EDT
[#37]
So I've been unsuccessfully scouring the web for a while now and am going to just ask here... Where in the heck can I get some of that flat paracord? Not the round regular 550 stuff, but whatever the flat type is?

Gut the "round" 550 cord. I.e. Take the strands out of the middle & you will now have "flat" paracord.
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 12:43:34 PM EDT
[#38]
I paracorded my side folder and afer a few months of use all my sweat soaked in the cordage caused it to rust pretty badly.  This is through the KG gunkote I had on there along with soaking the cord in a rust hinhibitor.  I would recommend wrapping the metal parts with electrical tape or similar to protect the metal.  The cord wrap acts like a sponge to soak up and hold all the salt, oil, bug spray, sun screen, etc... that comes off your face.  Also, re wrapping it every now and then is nice, just to get rid of the stench of it.  It's too bad I can't just use a giant piece of heat shrink on the thing.
Link Posted: 2/4/2010 10:08:23 PM EDT
[#39]
can someone help me????

When ever i para cord rap something the wrap is always able to move a bit on the sides is this normal???
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 12:32:27 PM EDT
[#40]

How did you do your magpuls? Could you post a picture and explaination? Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 3:01:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nictra] [#41]

Originally Posted By WarthogA5:
How did you do your magpuls? Could you post a picture and explaination? Thanks!
there is a tack thread somewhere on here on how to do it. Maybe it was Archived, I will look and post a link.

ETA link:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=55&t=112193

Link Posted: 2/23/2010 9:11:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 5:06:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By thorm001:
My first attempt on my new SLR-106.  Thanks for the great instructions.

http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n443/thorm001/Guns/IMG_0002-2.jpg

I like the look of these, thanks for the pointers. Now where could I find a simple triangle folder like these? I've done a fair amount of searching and see a lot of Tapco, ACE, etc, but not these. Anyone give me some direction?
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 7:04:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chris_1522] [#44]
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 9:25:35 PM EDT
[#45]
This is my wrap job. Was more of a pain to use paracord then I recalled...

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/5627/ak1m.jpg
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 8:06:07 PM EDT
[#46]

I really don't know but I'm guessing black rubber hose would get nearly as hot as metal in the sun. Para cord would take the temp down quite a bit I would think.

Link Posted: 2/24/2010 8:17:44 PM EDT
[#47]

Originally Posted By DT120:

I really don't know but I'm guessing black rubber hose would get nearly as hot as metal in the sun. Para cord would take the temp down quite a bit I would think.

Rubber pulls my beard hair...

CXS

Link Posted: 2/26/2010 1:45:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Since this is stickied, I guess I'll just put this here:

Last week I paracord wrapped my whole Romanian side-folder in green paracord.  While at a gun show today, I saw some tan paracord (naive of me to think that they didn't make it in that color), and since I initially wanted that color furniture, I bought some.  I hated having to take down all that hard work from the previous wrap, but figured I would go through the steps of how I wrap the stock since I had questions about it from a previous thread and since the thread I got it from online is no longer a working link.  So here it is.

For those wondering about cord length to wrap the whole stock:
Long straight arm of stock: give yourself about 7 feet of cord
Upper limb after the fork:  give yourself about 2 feet of cord
Lower limb w/ shoulder rest:  another 7 feet of cord
These lengths with give you a little extra cord left over to make sure you didn't cut them too short to finish the job.

First, melt (lightly) one end of your cord and tape it to the underside of the stock.  I say underside because it makes the finished product look better.  If you can tape this semi-high (a little higher than I have it in this picture), it will make the last step easier.
http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af186/T1gger/photo-1.jpg?t=1266129256
Continue to run the cord beneath the stock and then loop it around the top arm of the fork in the stock.
http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af186/T1gger/photo1-1.jpg?t=1266129372
Now you'll want to start looping the cord around the stock.  Make sure to keep the original run of cord beneath the stock in as straight a line as possible.
http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af186/T1gger/photo2.jpg?t=1266129502
Once I've made a few loops, I take the tape off of the original piece so that it doesn't cause problems later
http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af186/T1gger/photo3.jpg?t=1266129552
Keep running the loops up the stock.  Keep them tight and close together.  Now comes the tough part.  Once you reached the end of the stock, you're going to have to loosen the cord.  Before doing this, put a piece of tape around the initial end that you started with (you'll be able to tell because this part is bigger than the rest).
http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af186/T1gger/photo4.jpg?t=1266129577
After placing that piece of tape, you can begin loosening the those top loops.  Begin working your free end under the loops.  I use the back side of the scissors in the picture.
http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af186/T1gger/photo5.jpg?t=1266129692
http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af186/T1gger/photo6.jpg?t=1266129846
This particular part of the process is a pain.  It's a lot of untwisting, tightening by twisting, and simultaneously working the free end down, pulling it tight so that you have nice tight loops for the full length of the stock.  The ultimate goal is to have an end sticking out of the loop right about where the original end began.  This is so the the 2 ends basically abut and give a nice uniform look.  Once you have everything tight, you want to cut the free end that you have been pulling on so that it's able to meet the original end.  Lightly melt it with a lighter, and tuck it under the loop right above the loop covering the original end.  The result should be a uniform, tight wrapping.
http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af186/T1gger/photo7.jpg?t=1266130402
I apologize for the poor pic quality, and I'd like to thank whichever guy it was out there who made the original thread that helped me do this, but somehow had his thread deleted (or at least the link doesn't work anymore).
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 8:36:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/2/2010 10:11:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Very sweet and useful thread.

Used the OP diagram to do the ACE stock on my AR.....  (Having the loop towards the rear seems to work better.)

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top