Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/22/2007 7:37:20 PM EDT
I received my Pelican 1720 today and was looking forward to customizing the foam for my new RRA. I have two Hardigg cases for other guns but tried the Pelican because it is so popular on this forum. Well tomorrow I am eating the freight both ways and paying a restock fee so I can order another Hardigg Storm. The handle is much more comfortable, the latches have a push button so they have less chance of opening while being tossed around by the airlines  and the fit and finish is better. LaRue Tactical has them available on their site.

Just my 2cents.
Link Posted: 3/23/2007 12:53:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Yup, Storm cases rule.
Link Posted: 3/23/2007 6:08:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Go ahead and choose whichever case you like, but.....

Pelican has an Army contract. Storm doesn't.

Why do I see more fragile and valuable equipment transported in Pelican cases?

Which of the two has a higher crush rating?

Take a look at folks around here with expensive gear and see which case they prefer.
Would MFingar trust his gear to a Storm case? I doubt it.

IMHO, Pelican cases are superior. Like I said, choose whichever yo want.

HS1
Link Posted: 3/23/2007 6:35:49 AM EDT
[#3]
yea ok my storm still rocks
Link Posted: 3/23/2007 7:48:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Why are Pelican cases superior? Do you know which has the higher crush rating

I value Mark Larue's opnion and they carry the Storm case.  

I have both side by side and I know the pelican latches will pop up if pressure is put on them and the Storm's will not.

I want the best case I can get so I would like to know the facts.
Link Posted: 3/23/2007 11:43:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Here is an update on the comparison.

-Both are made in the USA.

-According to Hardigg both companies supply the US military and have to meet the same specs. I could not find which has a higher crush rating but I think both will do the job.

-I talked with Mike at LaRue Tactical and he said they prefer the Hardigg Storm for their own use which is why they sell them. He mentioned the difference in the latch as one of the reasons.

-The Hardigg Storm handle is padded and at least to me is more comfortable.

-No right or wrong both are great cases.

Link Posted: 4/5/2007 2:07:54 PM EDT
[#6]
One shouldn't make incorrect statements about government contracts (or lack thereof) without proof or knowledge of the actual facts:  Hardigg's Government Contracts

I've used both, and while Pelican makes a great product, I would not say they are superior to Hardigg.  With the new latches (just like Hardigg's), the Pelican might be equal in quality, but definitely not better.
Link Posted: 4/6/2007 5:08:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
One shouldn't make incorrect statements about government contracts (or lack thereof) without proof or knowledge of the actual facts:  Hardigg's Government Contracts

I've used both, and while Pelican makes a great product, I would not say they are superior to Hardigg.  With the new latches (just like Hardigg's), the Pelican might be equal in quality, but definitely not better.

The Pelican I received did not have the new latches. I might have kept it if it had. The Storm handle is padded which is also a plus.
Link Posted: 4/7/2007 2:47:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm considering getting a nice hardcase for my AR's and would like to know more about these cases.  Can you guys with both supply me some pics comparing and contrasting the two?  I would like to see hinges, latches, foam, etc.  Also, does anybody actually know the crush ratings of two comparable cases?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/7/2007 4:00:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'm considering getting a nice hardcase for my AR's and would like to know more about these cases.  Can you guys with both supply me some pics comparing and contrasting the two?  I would like to see hinges, latches, foam, etc.  Also, does anybody actually know the crush ratings of two comparable cases?  Thanks.

Here are links to the Hardigg and Pelican web sites. They are better pictures than I can take. Neither company would quote crush strength but both companies say their consumer cases meet military requirements. A previous post mentioned a new latch on the Pelican cases but their web site still shows the same ones that I did not like compared to the Hardigg Storm push button latch. The Storm also has a latch on either end. I don't know if it makes a difference but it would seem more secure under extreme conditions. The Storm handle is padded and more comfortable.

Hardigg Storm

Pelican
Link Posted: 4/9/2007 2:31:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a few Pelican cases in which I either purchased new, used, or in the case of two were given to me. Granted they are not weapon cases but various sizes from the 1200 to the 1450. I like them all for carrying equipment I need protected and to stay dry. That said, Pelican cases are pricely. The storm cases seem to be lower priced and very well made. One of our SWAT officers has one for his M4 and I gotta say it has seen some abuse yet still works as intended. I may have to get a Storm case.
Link Posted: 4/10/2007 11:44:51 AM EDT
[#11]
I vote neither.

SKB cases have proven many times to me that they can take a severe beating and still perform as promised.

I just picked up my 3rd SKB case...a custom double rifle case with the new TSA locks. (Midway USA for $220)

Link Posted: 4/10/2007 11:58:20 AM EDT
[#12]
We use both at work.  I personally prefer Hardigg cases.

This one is my favorite.  It's just too damn convenient
Link Posted: 4/10/2007 12:01:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I vote neither.

SKB cases have proven many times to me that they can take a severe beating and still perform as promised.

I just picked up my 3rd SKB case...a custom double rifle case with the new TSA locks. (Midway USA for $220)

SKB cases are water resistant not watertight like the Pelican and Storm. Also I know it does not matter to everyone but they are not made in the USA.
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 12:34:28 AM EDT
[#14]
where is SKB made?
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 4:56:30 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
where is KB made?

I don't remember where they said they were made when I did the research for the original post. Here is a link to their web site.

SKB
Link Posted: 6/21/2007 9:40:58 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
where is SKB made?

According to these links, it seems like it depends on the case:
www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=2SKB-4900/328.0.10011.10010.0.0.0
www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=3I-1610-5B-L/328.0.10011.10010.0.0.0

One says North America, another Orange, CA.
Link Posted: 6/21/2007 2:42:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
where is SKB made?

According to these links, it seems like it depends on the case:
www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=2SKB-4900/328.0.10011.10010.0.0.0
www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=3I-1610-5B-L/328.0.10011.10010.0.0.0

One says North America, another Orange, CA.

The small one that is made in CA is also water tight which their rifle cases are not.  At the time of the orginial post I was just researching AR sized cases.
Link Posted: 7/1/2007 3:59:57 PM EDT
[#18]
MARSH1, just to add on more to your list you might want to check out Starlight brand cases. I was comparing between them and Pelican and went with Starlight. Now that I've seen Storm I'd have to give them serious consideration if I were getting another.
Link Posted: 7/2/2007 9:11:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought a storm 2100 a few years ago to use as a multiple pistol case and am sold on their line.  After some recent rifle upgrades I'm getting close to picking up a 3100 (tan of course).  You won't be sorry...
Link Posted: 7/2/2007 9:35:55 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought one Pelican and one storm from cases for less.

Both are great cases, the pelican has fewer latches which is quicker to access contents.

The storm has better feeling handles and seems a little heavier built.  FWIW

Pelican stands behind thier products.  heck they replaced a flashlight I had, that I bought when in the service in the late 80's.   I had nearly 20 years of use out of that light before i broke it by falling on my fanny and crushing the contents in my fanny pack.  O even then it was only cracked, it wasn't water proof anymore at that point but it lasted another 6 years before finally breaking in two.

that's some tough stuff and great folks to deal with.

I'd say buy either one, based on size options or price
Link Posted: 7/2/2007 10:11:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Yeah, there aren't any sure losers between the major brands, Hardigg/Pelican/SKB.  I'm sure my lab will chew the wheels off any of them
Link Posted: 7/5/2007 10:24:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Does Hardigg offer a carbine sized case with convoluted foam instead of the cut-away stuff?
Link Posted: 7/7/2007 2:29:38 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Does Hardigg offer a carbine sized case with convoluted foam instead of the cut-away stuff?

Mine came from CASES2GO with convoluted on top and multi layer non cut away on the bottom. You can order without foam and order whatever type you want from these guys.

FOAM
Link Posted: 7/8/2007 1:14:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for the heads up!
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top