User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2010 11:19:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov]
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 11:30:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I prefer the 4x models, the TA01 and the TA31.

Trijicon is so kind as to offer many models so the end user can pick what best suits them.  If you can try various ones out before you purchase one.

For me:
The 1.5 ACOGs didn't offer enough magnification to really help me, and provided enough magnification to provide some slowdown over a reflex sight.

The 3.5x ACOGs are nice, and have longer eye relief, but the added weight and cost is not worth it for me over a 4x ACOG.

The 5.5 and 6 power ACOGs offer nice view, but they are large, expensive, and I am better served with a conventional scope at that point.

I had a ta31 donut reticle.  While it was fast up close, I found it hard to have a specific aiming point for 1-200 yards.  I much prefer the chevron or the crosshairs of the 01NSN.

-Will update later with my thoughts on the 01 vs the 31.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 1:22:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I chose the TA01NSN and TA31 series ACOGs for my rifles.
My favorite is the TA31F, because the chevron is very precise for point shooting and it is still large enough not to lost in rapid shooting.
I have a TA31H on my 10.5" SBR, the reason for this is the dot in the center is too large for pin point precision at anything past 100 yards, but works great inside 100.
I really like the TA01NSN due to the fact it has clear crisp cross hairs, but it is not as fast in rapid shooting because they can be lost in the background.
The 4x ACOGs do have a shorter eye relief than some other models, but I prefer to shoot nose to charging handle with the stock two spots out so I am in close to the weapon anyways.
The TA31 series seems to be the prefect balance of magnification and size, its compact, doesn't take up a lot of space but allows you to easily shoot out to 600 yards on a known distance range.
All my ACOGs i currently own are red, i have looked through the green and amber but my eye seems to bloom the reticule less with the red.

I have previously owned a TA44-4 but I did not like the 1.5x, it felt like looking through a fish bowl to me.

YMMV
Link Posted: 12/5/2010 1:41:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RFutch] [#3]
For me the best model is the TA33.  I was considering the TA11 and the TA31 also and looked at all 3 in person mounted on rifles.  This helped a lot in the decision process.

-For me the difference between 4x and 3x did not seem as big a deal in person as it does on paper.  Keep in mind it is a combat optic not a benchrest optic.
-I preferred the size and weight of the TA33 over the others especially the TA11. This was a huge part in my choice since I was trying to save weight on the rifle.
-The reticle I chose was the chevron.  At that time the horseshoe was not out yet.  If I were to buy again today I would probably go with it.
-I went with red for reticle color also before green was available.  I dont hate it but I would seriously consider the green on a future purchase.
- Eye relief was the biggest concern for me.  I could not stand the limited ER of the TA31 series.  The TA33 was just right.  

It came down to size/weight vs. eye relief.  The TA33 was the best all around performer out of the bunch and thats why I went with it.  Having all three mounted on a rifle where I could play with them side by side sealed the deal.  I strongly suggest this method if possible, it made me a lot more comfortable dropping this kind of dough on a single optic.

Link Posted: 12/5/2010 11:03:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FivespeedF150] [#4]
I chose the TA31RCO-A4 because I was building a M16A4 clone and that's the issue optic.

The reticle is a centered red chevron, with a line going down from the chevron with approximate Points of Impact for what I believe is a 62 grain M855 5.56 out of a 20 inch barrel at increasing distances. So far I have only fired the rifle at 100 yards so I have not utilized them.

Magnification is 4x, you aren't going to run circles around the sniper guys with this optic but you have an excellent field of view and with the chevron reticle I can clearly see targets that would be completely covered by the front sight post @ 100yards.

Eye relief is the most common gripe with this model, I had to remove my BUIS from the rifle and mount the ACOG as far back as possible to get decent eye relief. You need to be close!

For a range queen, the ACOG probably won't do anything that another 4x scope would do for 1/4 the price (or less), but I do not regret my purchase at all. I like the reputation that the ACOG has for durability and manufacturer support and I certainly want a rifle capable of "Social Work" just in case it's closest when the SHTF. And, of course, I must keep up with the optic snobs of AR15.com

The TA31-RCOA4 came with scope cover, killflash to mount on the front of the scope, and a very nice carrying case. I'm quite happy.

That's all I can think of for now, if anyone can think of further questions I should answer on this post please toss me a PM and I'll get them up here!

Link Posted: 12/5/2010 11:06:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#5]
<Post corrected - thanks>

Link Posted: 12/5/2010 11:11:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#6]
<Post corrected - thanks>

Link Posted: 12/5/2010 4:21:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: joseph92] [#7]

Trijicon M4CP

Eye Relief-sucks but forces you to put yournose to the charging handle like you're supposed to

Magnification- 4x which isnt too less but not too much

Reticle-Red Chevron

Size-about the same as an eotech or aimpoint, alot in a small package

Link Posted: 12/5/2010 8:22:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ben762] [#8]
I chose the TA55 on a whim from the EE. I had a "precision" build in mind for a while and when the opportunity presented itself to put an ACOG on such a weapon, I thought I'd give it a spin.

Back to an A2 stock, no problems with eye relief:

Pros of this setup-
1) Great glass, and a lot of it. The 50mm objective picks up a lot of light.
2) BAC works well.
3) Eye relief is good. I have a TA31 and before I got this optic, I didn't know what all the TA11 and TA33 owners were raving about.
4) Tough, USA built, etc - all the things you'd expect from Trijicon

Cons-
1) Weight & size. There are lots of lighter optics out there with more magnification than 5.5x. It eclipses a lot of rail space, especially so on mid & carbine length systems (though I have only mocked it up on the latter)
2) Cost. Yeah, you get what you pay for, but this is the only fixed 5.5 power optic I know of that costs this much. It is however, an ACOG. Take from that what you want.
3) Limited reticle options - red chevron only. I like the red chevron myself, but just giving other folks' preferences the benefit of the doubt. TA01-style crosshairs in a TA55 would be something I'd like to try.

Conclusion-
If you have an intermediate-range weapon that you know is going to be used in low-light environments and will take a lot of abuse, the tough TA55 is the ticket IMO.

Edits: Pictures, grammar, content & new pic
Link Posted: 12/8/2010 11:15:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#9]
<Comment not relevant to the thread removed. Please re-read the RULES I posted in the OP - Z>

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 2:23:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a TA31F that I gave a try for patrol work.  I have a rifle I use for outdoor perimeter work and wanted something with a bit of magnification (as opposed to my SBR which wears an Eotech).  I found the fixed 4x to be too much for the bulk of patrol work, which is inside 50 yards, and the short eye relief was a problem.  I couldn't mount it with a rear back up sight and still be able to shoot comfortably because the optic was too far forward.  I cannot, by policy, not use a BUIS and wouldn't want to anyway so the ACOG no longer gets used for work.  That rifle now wears a Trijicon 1.25-4x Accupoint.  I have no regrets with the Accupoint as it works like a red dot at 1.25x but can be cranked up to 4x for longer range.

The ACOG is currently on a wildcat .25-223 rifle and works fine there as I don't have a need for backup sights.  It is crisp and easy to use for anything except close range engagements.  If you don't need back up sights it works well, but paying that much for a durable combat optic just to put it on a non-combat rifle (IMO any combat rifle should have back up sights) doens't make sense to me.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 2:42:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Serenity7] [#11]
TA-33GH  
I wanted light weight, The green horseshoe and the 3x was the same as a magnifer for an aimpoint.
It's accurate and reliable a great outdoor optic.
The eye relief was longer than the 4x. Worked out good for me.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 8:29:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LA_357SIG] [#12]
TA50-4R
3x24 Red Crosshair Reticle

It was an alright optic. Eye relief was short. Really short. Short enough that mounting a rear BUIS was not doable in the TA60 mount. The ADM-B2 mount did allow a BUIS but you pretty much had to shoot NTCH. And accross the room distances put shots slightly off center POA using the BAC. I sold it and went with the Aimpoint T-1. The other negative impression was the center of the crosshair. It was the illuminated part and the black lines didn't run all the way across making precision shots difficult. ETA: In the sunlight the crosshair would seem to double in size b/c it was so bright. I had to fit an innertube over the fiber optic to shoot in the daytime.

Would I get another 3x Acog, possibly but not the
24mm model.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/31/2011 12:00:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: symaxwell] [#13]
I love how the system admin shut down my post and there are better answers to my question there than on this forum.  WTF.  Well here it goes then... Lets see if others respond on this "hidden forum".

Hey all,

Got another optic question. I'm thinking of getting a 4x32 ACOG optic. There are many styles etc. but i seems like Chevron is the most popular. Now how about the color. I have seen green and red in person...but not amber. I hear amber is the way to go. Any thoughts? Have you tried this or seen it in person? I hear the color is best for target acquisition and allows you to focus better. The red and green are harsh and many tape their fiber optic to dull it down during bright light conditions. Figure i might as well ask before i shell out 1,000 bucks. Also if you have other reticle recommendations feel free to post it here. If you got an optic post a photo.

Also any advice on the docter optic red dot? Can i just put it on on this scope for close range? Do i need to buy an ACOG with one already attached if i want to go that route?

So far here are my responses....

Since the green has come out that is all I use.

I have a hard time seeing the amber in bright light, The red washes out in bright light.

I have found the green works best for me, it is brightest at night and I have not found any issues with it in the woods when everything is green.

My 2 cents....

––VarmitSniper

Originally Posted By VarmitSniper:
Since the green has come out that is all I use.

I have a hard time seeing the amber in bright light, The red washes out in bright light.

I have found the green works best for me, it is brightest at night and I have not found any issues with it in the woods when everything is green.

My 2 cents....
Make that $0.04 worth...I concur.
––KILLERB6

you are going to get a million different answers . this is like asking ginger or mary ann? personally I like the red chevron.
––jwb47
Link Posted: 3/31/2011 6:26:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Of all of the articles that I have read, I found this the most helpful....

Fighting Carbine Optics

for ACOGs, I went with the TA-11 red and green donuts for my overall needs. (I prefer the red)
long eye relief, easy to use, KISS.

I also have CQB and long optics for secondary applications.
Link Posted: 5/31/2011 1:39:00 PM EDT
[#15]
i was thinking of getting the ta33-h and does anyone own this acog and what are your thoughts on the reticle?
Link Posted: 6/6/2011 6:32:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VeritatisUnus] [#16]
Here are my thoughts on ACOGs I've had over the years:

TA44-5 Red

This is the 1.5x16 with BAC (fiber optic) dot reticle.  I mounted this in a carry handle.  The optic is light weight, has good eye-relief and good glass.  However I found that 1.5x didn't help at all with distance shooting and the dot is way too large for precision hits at 100 yards.  With that said, this optic was not designed for long range precision and I purchased it off the EE for cheap just to try.  If one has a fixed carry handle upper with a short barrel, this optic would be a good choice for sub 100 yard shooting.

TA-50-2 Red

This is the 3x24 with BAC triangle reticle. I replaced my TA44 with this ACOG because I wanted more magnification, however as I'll explain later its not all about magnification when shooting at distance. Like all ACOGs it has great glass, and this model is small and light weight.  However, the eye-relief is horrendous and borders on not being usable.  I mounted it in a detachable carryhandle because BUIS will NOT fit behind this ACOG.  To get proper eye-relief, I had to drill a hole in the carryhandle one inch behind the factory hole.  This set up did allow proper eye-relief using an adjustable stock (albeit a bit finicky) and still allowed the use of the irons in the carryhandle.  The triangle reticle is big and bright and is great for quick close range shooting.  The tip of the triangle allows for good precision at 100 yards.  However, the triangle design shows its obvious limitations when shooting past 100.  The triangle is too large and covers too much target for precise hits.This model does not have BDC, so I felt it was just too limited... if I wanted a sub 100 yard ACOG, the TA44 would have been a better choice.

TA33-8 Amber

Now we're talking!  This is the 3x30 with BAC chevron reticle and BDC out to 600. While the TA33 is bit larger than the TA50, it is light years ahead of it functionally in every way. This scope is light weight, still compact, has great glass and most importantly has excellent eye-relief. This is the first ACOG I experienced with the amber reticle and I now prefer the amber over the red by far, and probably over the green (I have only seen the green indoors).  The amber really "pops" for my eyes and I have never experienced any washout when shooting in the bright sun in the desert.  I have used this optic in every lighting condition and terrain and still prefer amber over red. The chevron is large enough to shoot quickly at close range, the tip provides a precise aiming point at 100, and out to the 300, the open chevron doesn't cover the target allowing good hits to be made.  Past 300 is where the BDC comes in.  Its calibrated for M855 out of 14.5" barrel mounted to a flatop. The thin black lines make precision shooting easy and the BDC works very well.  I actually have the TA33 mounted on a Colt 6520 upper that has a A2 receiver (fixed carryhandle) with a 16" pencil barrel and sighted in with 55gr ammo.  I have used this rig from 0-400 yard shooting and the BDC is close enough.  I shot a Jim Beam bottle (fifth) at laser confirmed 384 yards using the 400 stadia line on the BDC first shot. That's good enough for me!  Now, the only negative of the TA33 is the field of view.  It is somewhat small, but not enough to care about.

TA11-D Red

This is the 3.5x35 with BAC triangle reticle. Great glass, great eye-relief but too big for my liking. The size and weight to me are not worth the gained field of view and slight increase in magnification (negligible) over the TA33.  The solid triangle reticle I don't like for reasons I have already stated. To me, a couple of the key advantages of the ACOG series of optics when compared to "traditional style" scopes, is size and weight. The TA11 series in my opinion nullifies those advantages.  If one was debating between a TA33 and a TA11, my vote goes for the TA33.

TA01

This is the old-school non-BAC 4x32 model. Its reticle is calibrated for M193 out of a 20" barrel mounted on a carryhandle, but the BDC works good enough with other ammo and mounted on a flattop. I really enjoy this model.  It is lightweight, great glass, good field of view, and the reticle allows very precise shooting. However, the eye-relief is somewhat short, but not enough to prevent a BUIS from being mounted behind it. I have used it with both A1 length and adjustable stocks. Lacking the BAC, it is not a good scope for close range/quick shooting, but if mounted in a carryhandle, one can use irons below for that application and then use the scope for precision work. Or with the mini red dots on the market, a combo of the TA01 with one is an option. If someone is looking for an ACOG and plans to do a lot of 100-300 yard shooting at relatively small objects, then this is a great scope.

TA31-F Red

This is the 4x32 with BAC chevron. This optic essentially shares the same dimensions as the TA01 but features the BAC chevron reticle.  I like this optic because it is lightweight, features great glass, good field of view, and the reticle is versatile (see my thoughts about chevron reticles in the TA33 review).  It however does suffer the same eye-relief issue as the TA01 described above, but to repeat, BUIS mounted behind it have never been a problem.  I shoot nose-to-charge handle...or at least close enough and the rifle this scope is on has an adjustable stock.

In the end, the TA33 with the amber chevron remains my favorite ACOG I have tried.  It has all the right features while staying light and compact. If trying to decide which ACOG to use on 14.5-16" carbine, then give the TA33 some serious consideration. (Update)  The TA33 also allows the use of Butler Creek caps.  This gives the user the ability to use the TA33 as an occluded eye gunsite when the front cover is closed, preventing reticle washout in clode quarters while employing a tactical light.

Hope this helps.

Update:  TA45-R4  This is the 1.5x24 model with red crosshair.  This optic is small and light, but I don't like anything about it.  The eye relief is too long (yes that is possible).  When shooting nose to charge handle, because of the long eye relief it has major tunnel vision and creates the illusion of the FOV being very distant.  Also, the FOV is too small for speed in my opinion.  Lastly, the reticle is also not condusive to speed either and crosshairs are better reserved for higher magnification models.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 8:04:58 PM EDT
[#17]
One point I have not seen addressed in this thread, but have caught mention of in other threads is eyebox size.  Some ACOG's being more forgiving of alignment behind it so you don't get the black ring around your sight picture when you are in a hurry.

Which are better than others?

I've been down the 1-4x route.  Too heavy, liked the 4x, didn't like that when I brought the rifle up at 1x for quick shots that I had to be perfectly aligned behind it to get a full sight picture.

Switched to an Aimpoint Micro, love the weight and how fast it is for snap shots, but would like some more magnification.

Which brings me to the ACOG.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 8:38:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#18]
<This thread is for specific ACOG-related questions and reviews, not about the reliability of certain vendors - Z>

Link Posted: 8/22/2011 10:03:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#19]
<This is also not the thread to ask where the appropriate thread is. PLEASE READ THE POSTING RULES IN THE OP - Z>

Link Posted: 8/22/2011 10:14:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eviljoe] [#20]
So far I like the TA44SR-10 (all of the TA44S models really, though I assume I like the cirlce-dot over the crosshairs, which seem too fine to me).
It's brand new, but the 1.5X is very fast at short range with BAC (and seems to have less of a POA/POI issue for most people, including me).

The 1.5X with Circle-Dot extends my Center Mass range to an easy and fast 200 yards (the longest range I have access to).  
I just think the 1.5X is optimal at the most common "urban" distances from 15 to 150 yards, since the clarity and crispness of the reticle are better for me than the red-dots.
Inside the house, where many complain about ACOG reticles washing out with flashlights, I'm more likely to use point-shoot/muscle-memory along with the light and laser to aim (if an armed intruder is in a room with me, I can hit a 4" group without any sights at all).

IF I lived in an open, rural area I'd probably go with the TA11 (or if I was deployed to Afghanistan, the TA31––though the short eye-relief of 4X does bug me more than it should).
In suburbia and at the range, however, the FOV and ER of the 1.5X so far is great for fast and accurate shooting (I've used Eotech XPS, T-1s, and 1-4Xs, but so far the 1.5X acog is as good or better for my purposes).
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 1:09:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By kwrangln:
One point I have not seen addressed in this thread, but have caught mention of in other threads is eyebox size.  Some ACOG's being more forgiving of alignment behind it so you don't get the black ring around your sight picture when you are in a hurry.

I've been down the 1-4x route.  Too heavy, liked the 4x, didn't like that when I brought the rifle up at 1x for quick shots that I had to be perfectly aligned behind it to get a full sight picture.

Switched to an Aimpoint Micro, love the weight and how fast it is for snap shots, but would like some more magnification.

Someone has to have some input on this somewhere.

Link Posted: 8/24/2011 3:16:31 AM EDT
[#22]

Someone has to have some input on this somewhere.

Many of the posters above have addressed eye relief in their opinions.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 8:20:54 AM EDT
[#23]
I think that James7800 pretty much summed it up with his very insightful post on another thread:

Originally Posted By James7800:
...snip

It always helps if you can handle the different models in person, but if not you should ask yourself this question:  Which is the least important to you, eye relief, field of view, or weight?
If the eye relief is least important, get the TA31
If the field of view is least important, get the TA33
If weight is least important, get the TA11

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 9:51:54 AM EDT
[#24]
I chose the TA31-F
4x32 magnification, BAC red chevron.
I bought an ACOG due to the quality and praise the sights have received, fiber optic and tritium power light sources, and most of all to supplement a magnified optic into my system.  I've run red dots and magnifiers and still will, but i wanted a high quality lighter weight solution as well.

I chose the TA31-F for the high quality glass, light weight, field of view, and versatility of the reticle.  The chevron can be accurate while remaining relatively fast for target acquisition.  Eye relief sucks but so far seems to be a non issue if I keep my nose to the charging handle, which I do and always have done.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 12:31:03 PM EDT
[#25]
I ran into something yesterday that I think should be brought up for ACOG owners:
From Trijicon's FAQ:

How do I remove the back up iron sights from my TA01NSN ACOG® in order to mount the Trijicon RedDot™?

Remove both the front and rear sight in order to properly mount the RedDot™ and to clear the sight picture. The rear sight is factory installed on the ACOG® using two hex bolts and “Red” Loctite® adhesive. In order to remove the sight, you must apply heat to the bolt area. This will loosen the adhesive grip enough so that you can remove the bolts using a standard 7/64 inch hex wrench. Please use caution when applying heat to the rear sight screws. Extreme heat may damage the internal gaskets or lens coatings of the ACOG.

Trijicon recommends using a soldering iron and placing it in the screw socket. Leave the soldering iron on the screw long enough to thoroughly warm up the screw threads, allowing the Loctite to deactivate. Do note that the duration depends on the soldering iron and settings.

For the front sight, first remove the TA51 mount that comes equipped with your scope. Then place the scope in a vice with the windage adjuster (the adjuster on the side of the scope and not the top) facing towards you. When placing the ACOG in the vice, use padding or another soft buffer to minimize surface scratches. Because of the amount of force generated with the use of a vice, caution should be exercised when tightening. Over-tightening the vice may lead to damage to the ACOG housing, adjustment caps or lenses which may result in the loss of the ACOG’s airtight seal.

Once the ACOG has been properly placed in the vice, using a 3/16 nylon punch, tap the front sight away from you and out of the dovetail. Tap at the base of the sight (near where the sight meets the top of the ACOG housing). Do not use excessive force when tapping the front sight otherwise you may damage the sight.

Both the rear and front sights can be reattached to the ACOG if properly removed. Simply screw the rear sight back into place and tap the front sight back into the dovetail groove.

I did some Googling, and I believe that the base screws are also Loctited.
Link Posted: 10/9/2011 12:06:57 PM EDT
[#26]
I have experience with the TA11-J with the RMR mount on top.  I like the eye relief as if gives a little more flexibility for the stock positioning.  The sight picture is wide and shows red with the "t" picture which can get drowned out when the tac light is turned on (only see the black).  The weight of the scope is not too much of an issue as the positioning flexibility allowed me to mount at a very balanced part of the rifle.  

I read a lot about the issues with quick acquisitions for short range, hence the RMR added.  I love the concept.  The dot is adjustable in size and is touted as a 3.25 MOA; I'm perfectly zeroed and at 50 yards I group within 1.5" on 4 shot sessions.  The one complaint could be the move from cheek to chin wield for sight picture on the red dot.  It takes some training and has not been an issue.

The scope is very high quality and quite durable with great clarity.  I'm very pleased with the purchase and overall benefits of the product.
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 8:31:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ironmaker] [#27]
I'll add my experience using a TA-33 to hunt groundhogs with:

First the results

Where it ended up:

Drug out for a picture. That's a biggun'

As people have stated, the ACOG is ideal for man size targets.  My TA33 is an amber chevron.

I see why people put covers over the fiber optic on their ACOG’s.  If you are in the bright sun and are looking into the shade, the reticle is too bright.  It is also too bright for pinpoint aiming on a small target on a bright sunny day.  On a man size target, no problem.  

For longer range hunting, 3X is not enough.  Two times I had a hard time discerning grass/dirt from being a groundhog.  With my 4.5-14 Leupold, that is never an issue.

ETA: Fixed the picture links.

Link Posted: 12/12/2011 8:57:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Liquidmetal] [#28]
I chose the TA33G-13 (7.62x39, green horseshoe reticle) for my YHM 7.62x39 AR because it is the only ACOG available with a 7.62x39 reticle.  Absolutely no regrets.  Eye relief and clarity are excellent, the green horseshoe reticle rocks.  The TA33G-13 is also significantly smaller and lighter than the Eotech/3x magnifier combo it is replacing on this rifle, which is very nice.  Not a single negative thing to say, I consider it money very well spent.  This is my third ACOG and I never feel like I didn't get my money's worth.

Link Posted: 12/12/2011 9:32:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 53vortec] [#29]
TA11-E, purchased it for an AR10A4 carbine I intended as "the ultimate 0-500yd weapon."

Main reasons for this specific model were the BDC, eye relief, and red chevron.

BDC and red chevron were the main factors; I would have bought this scope if it were or 4x. I believe an 5x or higher would be an impediment, but admit I don't have any experience with ACOGs over 4x.

I find the red chevron grabs my eye best and offers the best precision - to me it naturally draws to the target.

The BDC is well suited to the 16" carbine with 147gr ammunition. The TA11E is calibrated for a 20" bbl shooting M852 (168gr HPBT), but the 147 from a 16" only deviates 2" from that trajectory, and that's at 500 yards. I later crunched the numbers and found that for a 16" 5.56 weapon, M193 and M855 are within 3" out to 500.

In all it's turned out to be a great, rugged optic with versatility for a number of my rifles (though its home is still the AR10.)
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 8:09:18 AM EDT
[#30]
I knew I wanted a 4X magnification, and eye relief wasn't an issue for me, so I decided one of the 4X32 BAC ACOGs would fit that requirement nicely. I have uncorrected astigmatism and am also mildly red/green color blind, so a red chevron or triangle reticle works best for me. I chose a TA31A (triangle reticle) over a TA31F (chevron reticle) because when I bought the TA31A three years ago I could get one for $300 less than a TA31F. I really like this reticle: immediately after bringing the AR up to firing position I can get an excellent sight picture using the BAC. Saving the $300 was definitely worth it - I am not at all sorry I didn't get the TA31F.
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 11:32:03 PM EDT
[#31]
I have been searching the web/forums for some time and can't seem to find an answer- what is the difference between the TA31RMR-G and the TA31ECOS-G?  Other than .3 inches in length and dark/brown vs black.  Am I missing something obvious?

Putting this on a Colt 6920.  Any additional insight, comments or suggestions are welcomed!!!
Link Posted: 5/16/2012 12:15:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lasnyder] [#32]
advantages I perceive with the  4x32 chevron BAC (I have a TA31F with red chevron)....

outstanding dusk light gathering ability due exit pupil diameter of 8mm (32mm/4)

top of chevron 100m
inside top of chevron 200m
top of vertical line 300m....distance between bottom legs of chevron at 300m subtends 19", average width of a man's shoulders

remaining stadia lines subtend 19" at remaining distances, or one side is approximately 10" for wind hold off

BAC fiber optic illumination point is at focal point and is used for tracking moving targets.... allows you to track moving objects at 1x and your brain will switch to 4x when motion stops

if you pull back slightly from full eye relief, and get a slight ghost, the chevron is still brightly illuminated at focal point ,and acts like a dot for close targets, provided you shoot with both eyes open....I shot a TA01 without fiber optic at all six of the Ft Benning 3 gun matches.. in 2010 I had to hold off approximately 15" of wind at the 400m 10" target... took me 3 shots with the stadia lines

EDIT... disclaimer ... a good friend designed the reticle of the TA31F red chevron...

I have a 1.5x16 on another rifle with amber triangle... works well out to 200m... I need the slight magnification for target identification... I have a 3.75 astigmatism, corrected, and I don't see symmetrical shapes when looking through dot scopes
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 11:29:25 AM EDT
[#33]

Originally Posted By Liquidmetal:

I chose the TA33G-13 (7.62x39, green horseshoe reticle) for my YHM 7.62x39 AR because it is the only ACOG available with a 7.62x39 reticle.  Absolutely no regrets.  Eye relief and clarity are excellent, the green horseshoe reticle rocks.  The TA33G-13 is also significantly smaller and lighter than the Eotech/3x magnifier combo it is replacing on this rifle, which is very nice.  Not a single negative thing to say, I consider it money very well spent.  This is my third ACOG and I never feel like I didn't get my money's worth.

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz359/Liquidmetalpics/AR%20Pics/681c9541.jpg

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz359/Liquidmetalpics/AR%20Pics/9c6d0ed2.jpg  

Very nice! I have the TA33G-H (same optics, instead mine is 5.56) and LOVE it.

But as someone stated earlier, it would be ideal if you have multiple optics to look threw and mount to see which one best fits you.

Link Posted: 7/27/2012 9:16:15 AM EDT
[#34]
I have my ACOG 4X32 TA02 LED setup behind a FLIR T-50 Thermal as it provides the exact same FOV as the Thermal does....it has two NV crosshair reticules for when I am using NV and four visible lighted reticule levels for day use.

However I do not need the lighted reticules at all when using behind my FLIR T-50 or 60 Thermal.

Excellent thermal weapon sight!

A longwave thermal imaging sensor, the Trijicon ACTS (Advanced Combat Thermal
Sight) combines performance in a multi-use design. The small and lightweight unit
clips easily to the Trijicon ACOG® to present the shooter with the same field of view
while preserving reticle calibration and boresight. Alternately, the ACTS stands alone
as a rugged, hand-held imager for scouting, surveillance and covert operations

http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product1.php?id=ACTS

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:13:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Weight savings and size were a issue for me so I went with the TA33-GH. Eye relief is excellent and it is perfect on my BCM middy in a larue mini mount. This is my go to gun and use it for everything even deer hunting. Indoors and outdoors this scope is awesome. I looked through some 4x models and felt they did not offer anything more over the 3x30. You might get some flare on super bright days but I have found it only bothers on really small targets. I paid $875 here on the EE used and I have no regrets and would buy the same scope again.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:30:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By 53vortec:
TA11-E, purchased it for an AR10A4 carbine I intended as "the ultimate 0-500yd weapon."

BDC and red chevron were the main factors; I would have bought this scope if it were or 4x. I believe an 5x or higher would be an impediment, but admit I don't have any experience with ACOGs over 4x.

I find the red chevron grabs my eye best and offers the best precision - to me it naturally draws to the target.

The BDC is well suited to the 16" carbine with 147gr ammunition. The TA11E is calibrated for a 20" bbl shooting M852 (168gr HPBT), but the 147 from a 16" only deviates 2" from that trajectory, and that's at 500 yards. I later crunched the numbers and found that for a 16" 5.56 weapon, M193 and M855 are within 3" out to 500.

In all it's turned out to be a great, rugged optic with versatility for a number of my rifles (though its home is still the AR10.)

Pic.....please!
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 9:22:46 AM EDT
[#37]
When you zero an ACOG, does the bullet drop compensator change accordingly? I want the BDC to change depending on whatever round I'm shooting and not simply stay calibrated to whatever Trijicon set it to.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 5:58:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Hokie:

Pic.....please!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hokie:
Originally Posted By 53vortec:

Pic.....please!

Sorry I missed this post a year ago.

Did you want a pic of the TA11-E itself or it on the AR10?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:59:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Anybody using a TA01 or other 1.5 inch eye relief model on a .308 AR?

I love the TA01 on an AR-15, but it's a lot of money to spend only to get whacked in the eye if the eye relief is too short.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:49:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sgwlower] [#40]
Ta31 ECOS red. I get the nose to charging handle thing--but the eye relief is just to small. Even with nose to charging handle, I found if my head was not perfect, I would not get the best sight picture. The RMR piggyback was the best asset.

Ta33 GH: Its a TA33 which to me is the best Acog, light, get glass, quick, amazing eye relief.. However for me the horseshoe reticle covers way to much of the target. What would make the GH perfect would be if the center dot was a 1moa dot like an Eotech, The 2 moa is perfect for a man sized target, but not for a crows head.

Ta33-11/12: My choice of cup of tea. All the great things about the ta33, but with an incredibly useful crosshair reticle. the illuminate center crosshair is still bright and big enough to point shoot, but fine enough for precision work.

[url=http://s1182.photobucket.com/user/800mZero/media/20140810_161216_zpsa4420c1c.jpg.html][/url
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:16:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Warhawk:
Anybody using a TA01 or other 1.5 inch eye relief model on a .308 AR?

I love the TA01 on an AR-15, but it's a lot of money to spend only to get whacked in the eye if the eye relief is too short.

View Quote

I use a TA01NSN on my Colt 901 7.62.
The BDC is close enough out to 300 yards.

No, I've never been whacked by the ACOG due to recoil.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:57:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: borderpatrol] [#42]
ACOG TA01 LAW reticle is a no non-sense all purpose scope that is ideal for use inside of 250 yards. I zero mine at 200 yards and am able ton hit anything point blank to around 225 yards. It a simple duplex with no BDC markings. It's cheaper than the other ACOG's and available for around $850. It's capable of better accuracy because the crosshairs aren't crowded with the 200 yard/meter line common to the other options.

JP Rifles sells a custom reticle TA01 ACOG that's designed for 77 grain SMK's traveling around 2700 fps fired at an elevation of 2000 feet. This is almost identical to Mk 262 ammo when fired from an AR-15. It closely follows what most competitors are shooting. The custom JP Rifles reticle eliminated the 200 yard BDC line so the crosshairs are not cluttered and can be easily seen for better precision aimed shots. 5.56mm shoots flat to 200 yards for all reasonable purposes. From 300 yards and further out the BDC is more valuable.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 3:25:59 PM EDT
[#43]
I have the ACOC Trijicon TA-31 H mounted with the Tactical Larue mount and an  adjustable Trijicon RMR mounted on top.  I was driven to these scopes after shooting this incredible combination on a friend's LWRC MA 6A2.  I was so impressed with the reliable target results that have always happen with the Trijicon product. Although these items are expensive, they do produce and match the rugged environment of the AR. I have used the Aimpoint also and they are also very good.

"If the government doesn't trust us with our guns, why should we trust them with theirs"
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 9:11:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Alright, I've got one for you guys.

Regular Acog or the new LED Acogs?
Seems like it's over $500 to replace tritium so the LED Acog appeals a bit more to me. I wish it still kept the fiber optic, but I think I'd still favor the LED if it's also bomb proof.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 9:33:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Johnson184:
Alright, I've got one for you guys.

Regular Acog or the new LED Acogs?
Seems like it's over $500 to replace tritium so the LED Acog appeals a bit more to me. I wish it still kept the fiber optic, but I think I'd still favor the LED if it's also bomb proof.
View Quote
Way late to answer you but just for someone who might come later. Put this question to Trijicon recently and they redo the Tritium for a flat service charge of $188.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 10:00:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Had 7 or 8 various ACOGS since the very first one came out.

TA-33 with red horseshoe is my #1 choice....best value footprint...
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 11:09:28 PM EDT
[#47]
I have 2 ACOGs. Both are 4x32. Red triangle in one and green ACSS reticle in the other. At the time I bought the red triangle there was no ACSS version yet. Now that there is, I think thats the one to have. It has more ranging capability as well as wind leads. The ACSS version of the ACOG is only available through Primary Arms as far as I know and you can get it in red or green reticles.

Rudy
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 11:32:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Full disclosure, I am not a fan of LPVOs or red dots sight. ACOGs just work better for me and I like the way they are constructed. Here's my two cents...

My first ACOG was a TA50 with red triangle, no BDC, in a QR mount. This is an amazingly clear, light and compact sight that would rule them all if it wasn't for the horrendous eye relief. Considerably worse for me than the TA31 eye relief for some reason. I traded it off but still wonder if I should have.

Second ACOG was the TA31f with red chevron in a Bobro mount. I shoot NTCH so I had no issues with the limited eye relief and it did everything well for my type of shooting. used this on four different ARs over the years and it was great on each. I would put one of these on my Bushy ACR if I was able to shoot out further than 200 yards in my AO. I sold it to fund the next one but I still think this is the best one and only ACOG if you can only have one. I could go with the TA31a with red triangle as well but at 4x power the chevron lets you see more and provides the BDC. I, myself, cannot stand the horseshoe or crosshair reticles in this model for some reason. YMMV

Third was a TA11 with green chevron .308 reticle in a LaRue mount. I got this for my SCAR 17 and still think it it is the perfect optic for this rifle. Tough and able to take the recoil impulse of the 17 and very clear with great eye relief. But it was large and heavy and after a while I realized that I was never shooting past 200 yards and one of the best features of the 17 was it's light weight for a .308 battle rifle. I took off the TA11 and went back to irons and even though my groups opened up I liked shooting the rifle better. This says more about me and the SCAR than the TA11 but it is worth mentioning. I will say I would never put a TA11 on a .556 AR15 due to size/weight but it suited the 17 perfectly. Having it getting old in the box unused just because it looked cool on the rifle seemed silly so I sold it to another 17 owner.

Fourth ACOG is the TA47 with red triangle, no BDC, in a LaRue mount. This is a 2x and is compact and lightweight compared to the 31,11 and even the TA33. I got a great deal on it on the EE and I must say I like it more than I thought I would. Tried it out on the SCAR 17 when I first got it an then moved it to my ACR and it works great for me on both. Looks very small on the SCAR of course but I could live with it. I can easily hit small targets at 200 yards quickly and repeatably and it is much faster up close than any other ACOG I had. 2x seems to be enough for my type of shooting and the lack of BDC does not seem an issue as I zeroed the ACR with it at 50 yards. It shoots about 2" high at 100 and comes back on target again around 220 yards with m193. I would say the the TA47 is the least talked about ACOG but it really works well. Anyone who has tried it was impressed.

I have only handled the TA33 and am curious as to what I would think of it compared to the others I have owned. If pressed I would have to choose a TA31F or A if I could have only one for the AR platform. Red or green is fine but I lean toward the red as I noticed the green can bloom a bit too bright for me under some conditions.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 12:50:37 PM EDT
[#49]
I was always a TA31 fan, mainly due to being issued them.  Got used to shooting with them and wanted nothing else.  

Simple, no knobs to futz with and once you practiced shooting with them at close range you could do pretty well with them.

Then a buddy of mine was wanting to get a EOTECH and get rid of his TA33.  He agreed to give me the TA33 if I just bought an EOTECH for him.  Sounded like a good deal to me so I did that.  

I immediatly fell in love with the TA33.  Lighter, more eye relief and the reduction to 3 magnification didn't bother me.  If I'm shooting more than 200 yards in my area it's because someone prepped the area to shoot that far.  I was able to get better at close range shooting with the TA33 than the 31.  

Now days the only TA31s I have are for clone builds and I try to find TA33s.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top