AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Bobro mounts thread (Page 1 of 4)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/26/2010 9:52:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov]
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 10:04:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marksman14] [#1]
Bobros are neat, rock solid, and automatically adjust.  Really cool, but there are some design drawbacks that I noticed when I tried one.

1- The flat that is really great for putting feeler gauges against is beveled.  Makes it more difficult to get a good set for your gauges.
2- The rear ring is virtually impossible to get a torque wrench on.  If you're like me and want your high end optics set up with proper torque reduce damage, its really tough if not impossible to do with the rear ring of the bobro.
3- The horizontally split rings make it tougher for me to torque without getting some amount of scope rotation.  I'm sure plenty of you have figured out how to tighten a scope down and avoid this happening, but I have not.

Bobro definitely had aesthetics in mind when they designed this.  If the bevel went away, and the rings could be torqued from the top instead of the bottom....they'd have a better product IMHO.  Not as pretty, but functionally it would be much much easier to deal with for the initial mounting.

If you can get the optic properly leveled and properly torqued, its a great mount no question about it.

Just my observations.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 10:28:58 PM EDT
[#2]
In for feedback regarding their Extended mounts.

J
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 10:35:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I've used LaRue, Bobro, and the new generation ADM mounts, I honestly don't think you can go wrong with any of them.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 10:55:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MARSH1] [#4]
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 11:01:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By MARSH1:
Originally Posted By JAVO:
In for feedback regarding their Extended mounts.

J

The extended is a great extended mount. What makes the Bobro mounts unique is the self adjusting clamp. Also one of a kind is the very quick one handed release, even with gloves on.  We swap optics all the  time and the mount functions as advertised and the return to zero is as good as they get.

We got em in stock.

Marshall

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb190/marsh2001/Web%20photos/XTR.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb190/marsh2001/Web%20photos/Bobroclosing.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb190/marsh2001/Web%20photos/Bobro.jpg

Would like to know more about that self-adjusting  clamp.

J
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 11:04:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 11:16:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Southrnshooter] [#7]
What about the height on the ACOG mounts from Bobro?  That was the problem I had with another makers being too short.  The Trijicon mount is taller and I can see better with it.  Less FSB.  But it is just too heavy and I don't like not being able to take it off quickly.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 11:17:52 PM EDT
[#8]
The "no adjustment needed" throw levers on the BOBRO mounts won me over. If you're going to be exchanging optics between guns on a regular basis It'll save you a ton of hastle adjusting throw levers. I've owned the other QD mounts and they're awesome if you're taking an optic off and placing it back on the same gun but if you're switching between different guns then you'll likely need to adjust the throw lever either tighter or looser to accommodate the variations between each receiver's rails.

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 11:19:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 11:48:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Southrnshooter:
What about the height on the ACOG mounts from Bobro?  That was the problem I had with another makers being too short.  The Trijicon mount is taller and I can see better with it.  Less FSB.  But it is just too heavy and I don't like not being able to take it off quickly.

I will measure and take a pic tomorrow.

Still in for this.

J
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 9:10:03 AM EDT
[#11]

J

The lever acts as a cam against its follower.  Between the follower and the "shoe" which engages the rail are four "large" springs which provide the preload of the mount against the rail.  There are also two "small" springs between the shoe and the main body of the mount which cause the shoe to retract when the lever is released.

Still in for this.

J

I just measured a TA-51, an LT100, and a Bobro ACOG mount; they are all within 0.010" of each other in height by my caliper.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 9:18:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By murderman:

J

The lever acts as a cam against its follower.  Between the follower and the "shoe" which engages the rail are four "large" springs which provide the preload of the mount against the rail.  There are also two "small" springs between the shoe and the main body of the mount which cause the shoe to retract when the lever is released.

Still in for this.

J

I just measured a TA-51, an LT100, and a Bobro ACOG mount; they are all within 0.010" of each other in height by my caliper.

What was your measurement on the Bobro?  I am going to compare it to the TA-60 on my rifle.  I don't know if there is a difference in the 60 vs the 51.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 9:51:04 AM EDT
[#13]

What was your measurement on the Bobro?  I am going to compare it to the TA-60 on my rifle.  I don't know if there is a difference in the 60 vs the 51.

I don't have a TA60 in front of me to measure, but based upon the images on Trijicon's site, the TA60 is going to be substantially taller than any of the three mounts that I did measure.....my guess would be around 3/8" taller.

For reference, I went from the top of the rail to the bottom of the channel that the ACOG rides in, and got between 0.158" - 0.170"; it is essentially the "web" thickness.  My measurements are close [probably +/-0.010"], but I would not dare claim 0.001" accuracy, as it is somewhat awkward geometry to quickly measure with a caliper, and I don't feel the necessity to break out the dial indicator and fixture since they are all so close to one another.  I also don't feel like removing the TA11F from the Bobro mount, although the TA51 and LT100 were loose "spares".

Aimless, hopefully I haven't breached the protocol set forth in your OP on this thread; if so, edit away.

Also, thanks to Marshall for providing the Bobro mount for me to dissect and T&E.  

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 9:54:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 10:05:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MARSH1] [#15]
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 9:25:19 PM EDT
[#16]

Someone who shall remain nameless makes a tall ACOG mount but it's not on website. Have to call to get it and if we show enough interest maybe it will become a feature item.  They made it as a one off for Australian Army and have some extras.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 1:37:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:54:52 PM EDT
[#18]
anyone have any current news on new mounts... especially for compact acogs?  im looking for something a little taller and would like to put my front sight back on.  tia
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:37:46 PM EDT
[#19]
The only new mount that I'm aware of is a mount for the Aimpoint T1.  I can't really say much more but if you like the current Bobro mounts you will like the T1 version which will be slightly different.  No time frame as this week!
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:51:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: vermont2nd] [#20]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:24:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Can anyone tell me if the BOBRO Comp M4 mount is absolute or lower 1/3 co witness???
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:51:21 PM EDT
[#22]
My Bobro has been flawless on three different uppers, my favorite mount to use (I own all of the big 3), and it looks sexy too.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:13:34 AM EDT
[#23]
I had the Aimpoint 180 mount. It was fantastic, but it didnt start out that way. When I first got the mount, I of course put in the M2 and went off to the range. After the third shot the two bolts that hold the base to the cantilever part snapped in half, most likely due to overtightening at the factory. I emailed Bobro and in 3 days I had new bolts and a small vial of locktight. I put it all back together and never had any problem after that. Other than that, it mounted up tight, held zero after removing and remounting, and looks smooth too.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:17:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Marksman14:
Bobros are neat, rock solid, and automatically adjust.  Really cool, but there are some design drawbacks that I noticed when I tried one.

1- The flat that is really great for putting feeler gauges against is beveled.  Makes it more difficult to get a good set for your gauges.
2- The rear ring is virtually impossible to get a torque wrench on.  If you're like me and want your high end optics set up with proper torque reduce damage, its really tough if not impossible to do with the rear ring of the bobro.
3- The horizontally split rings make it tougher for me to torque without getting some amount of scope rotation.  I'm sure plenty of you have figured out how to tighten a scope down and avoid this happening, but I have not.

Bobro definitely had aesthetics in mind when they designed this.  If the bevel went away, and the rings could be torqued from the top instead of the bottom....they'd have a better product IMHO.  Not as pretty, but functionally it would be much much easier to deal with for the initial mounting.

If you can get the optic properly leveled and properly torqued, its a great mount no question about it.

Just my observations.

Coming back to this thread, I agree with most of what you said. For mounting my NF1-4, I put the upper in a vise, leveled it in 3 different spots, then attached the mount and leveled the scope from there. Tightening the rings down was tedious, I agree that vertically split rings would probably be better here. For torquing it down, I tightened what I could with the torque wrench, then on the two screws above the throw lever I gave my best shot to recreate the same amount of torque on the wrench as was needed on the others to tighten them. I haven't had any issues with the NF rotating in the mount once I got it in there tight. I'm an ME major, so tinkering with things to get them just right can be fun. When work picks back up, I'll be getting a Bobro mount for my TA31. They are, IMO, the best mounts on the market.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:27:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Can anyone tell me if the BOBRO Comp M4 mount is absolute or lower 1/3 co witness???

The Bobro M4 mount is an absolute co-witness!  If you use your Aimpoint provided spacers you would then have a lower 1/3 co-witness.  Andrew mentioned that as soon as he can find some machine time he will be producing his own spacers for the M4 mount!
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:55:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Love, love, love my Bobro mounts.  At this moment in time, they're my go to mounts if I want detachables.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 12:16:54 AM EDT
[#27]
They are the cat's meow!!!  
Link Posted: 9/17/2010 7:00:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: asiparks] [#28]
Love my AP and 30mm mounts, just waiting for the 35mm ringed version to become available.....
I like the horizontally split ring. I mount optics with my rifle upright in a clamp, or vice, with a bubble level. The horizontal split makes getting everything trued a bit easier this way... What would be nice though, would be to put the ring bolts on top, rather than the underside. It wouldn't look as nice but it would be far quicker and easier to put together...
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 2:36:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Policetacteam:
The only new mount that I'm aware of is a mount for the Aimpoint T1.  I can't really say much more but if you like the current Bobro mounts you will like the T1 version which will be slightly different.  No time frame as this week!

Any more info on when these will be available?

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:49:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Aimless] [#30]
No exact dates yet on the T1 mounts, hopefully soon!  I spoke with Andrew a few days ago and there are currently several new projects under way!  I'm not going to disclose all of them because I'm not sure how much he wants made public at this time.  The Aimpoint Micro T1 mounts are still being fine tuned, an EOTech mount(s), and a two lever scope mount with larger rings to work with Schmidt & Bender scope to name a few!!!  In regards to the larger ringed, two levered mount...it is for an unnamed military branch.  My guess (and this is just a guess) is that it could possibly be for the Marine Corp's new Schmidt & Bender 3-12 x 50 PMII LP long range sniper scopes.  Nothing hard to confirm that though.  Andrew also stated that the standard VFG will probably be discontinued and the short will assume the primary role.  The main reason behind that is that the short sell better by about 5 to 1 and the short VFG isn't really too short that you can't get your entire hand on it without issues.  I will keep you guys posted.

Paul

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 12:32:12 PM EDT
[#31]
What can you tell us about the Eotech mount?  If they make a shorter version for the XPS series I'm interested

Rob
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 2:26:01 PM EDT
[#32]
I've been trying to get him to do a mount for the XPS for about 6 months.  I would like to see one no longer than the XPS itself otherwise it defeats the purpose of purchasing a short optic in the first place.  I will find out today.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 3:57:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: vermont2nd] [#33]
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 4:40:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Temp lock for staff review
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 4:56:52 PM EDT
[#35]
I have arrived
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 4:59:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Aimless] [#36]
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:42:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duffy] [#37]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:18:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Would be nice if they updated their web-site.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 11:43:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Policetacteam] [#39]
I completely agree!  Andrew needs to update his site to also show his 1" ring mounts, ACOG mounts, etc..  One thing that I forgot to mention in a previous post was that the latest word from Bobro was that the gen 3 bi-pods would be back in production soon!  It's been over a year since anyone has had these in stock so it would be great to see one of the finest bi-pods back in full swing!!
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 11:51:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Love my  bobro mount.  I have over 2,000 rounds already and not a problem.   It's very sturdy and I really like how the lever system works.  

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:27:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Great looking rig!
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:30:02 PM EDT
[#42]
I love the Boboro mounts, the only thing that has me shopping elsewhere is their limited product line. Otherwise my favorite QD. I took a GGGaz accucam downrange and beat the piss out of it, the bought a boboro when I came back. It is awesome. Looks the sex as well.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 8:12:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 7:44:29 AM EDT
[#44]
What can you tell us about the Eotech mount? If they make a shorter version for the XPS series I'm interested

Ok...I will try my best to answer this.  As we speak I'm sending Andrew an XPS and another model to be measured.  The XPS will more than likely be the first to find a new home on a Bobro mount.  This would also raise the XPS to give the user a lower 1/3 co-witness.  Now I can't say much more than that.  Things I would like to see: 1) A spacer that could be inserted to give the XPS a lift to achieve the lower 1/3 co-witness.  By fabricating a spacer this would give the XPS user the ability to either retain their absolute co-witness or switch over to a lower 1/3 co-witness.  Everything is pretty open at the moment so if you all have suggestions throw'm out there.  I will pass them along.
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 6:00:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 8:23:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Things are being measured for the EOTech mounts.  As it looks now an existing mount will probably be able to serve double duty for an XPS mount.  My guess is the reduced size used for the Aimpoint Micro T1 mount will also be used for the XPS mount.  Once I have more factual information I will post more.
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 8:29:57 AM EDT
[#47]
I love the Boboro mounts, the only thing that has me shopping elsewhere is their limited product line.

I think you are going to see a broadened product line very soon.  There are lots of projects under way and several new ones under consideration.  If there mounts you guys would like to see please post your request.
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 9:40:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Policetacteam:
Things are being measured for the EOTech mounts.  As it looks now an existing mount will probably be able to serve double duty for an XPS mount.  My guess is the reduced size used for the Aimpoint Micro T1 mount will also be used for the XPS mount.  Once I have more factual information I will post more.

Sounds good.  Smaller and lighter than the LaRue mounts would work better for the XPS series.  The co-witness space is a good idea, too.

Rob
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 3:24:08 PM EDT
[#49]
The XPS will be a lower 1/3 co-witness only!  Not enough meat on the base to accomplish both.  Also a full size mount should also be coming for 512, etc..
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 4:11:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Love my Bobro 30mm extended mount.  I've been waiting since January for the T-1 mount to be released since I was told it was being developed, I'm sure it'll be worth it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Bobro mounts thread (Page 1 of 4)
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top