Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/15/2005 6:57:37 AM EDT
Just purchased a RRA tactical entry and was wondering how to tell if the barrel is chromelined or not. Was told that it was. Just wanted to make sure. Is the barrel a 1 in 9 twist? I think that all RRA barrels are. Also, just going by fit and finish alone, this rifle is beautiful. It is much nicer than any bushmaster I have seen lately. I already have a bushmaster and wanted something different. I also had a colt and wasnt that impressed for the money. Sorry, hope I didnt upset anybody.
Link Posted: 1/15/2005 7:10:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Pull the handguards off and it will be stamped to let you know twist rate and whether or not it is chromelined.  But, as a hint the only chrome bbl that RRA does are the DEA gun, the Governmet model (civilian DEA gun),  and the R-4 bbl'd guns.  You have to request chrome separate on the order unless it is a DEA or Gov't gun.  The R-4 bbls are Wilson bbls.

Link Posted: 1/15/2005 7:24:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Not all barrels are marked whether they are chromelined or not. The easiest and most sure way to tell is to take the upper off the lower, remove the bolt and chatging handle, and look to see if you see a silver ring around the chamber. If you do, it's chromelined. If there is no silver ring, it is not chromelined.
Link Posted: 1/15/2005 7:45:24 AM EDT
[#3]
There isnt any markings on the barrel. The dealer told me that it was ordered as chromelined.
Link Posted: 1/15/2005 8:27:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/15/2005 9:47:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Two more photographs of a chrome-lined RRA Entry Tactical to go along with Troy's:

Link Posted: 1/15/2005 3:33:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Did you order the Entry Tactical or did your dealer have them in stock? If you ordered it, how long ago and where did you order it from?

The reason why I'm asking is because I've been waiting a while for one..
Link Posted: 1/15/2005 3:41:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Pull the handguards off and it will be stamped to let you know twist rate and whether or not it is chromelined.  But, as a hint the only chrome bbl that RRA does are the DEA gun, the Governmet model (civilian DEA gun),  and the R-4 bbl'd guns.  You have to request chrome separate on the order unless it is a DEA or Gov't gun.  The R-4 bbls are Wilson bbls.

Where did you see that?        NO Rock River barrles are stamped, period.  Yes, I know that Wilson makes ALL of the Rock River barrels and I have seen Wilson barrels that are marked with the twist and if it was crome lined, but RRA does not use the stamped barrels.
Link Posted: 1/17/2005 5:51:33 PM EDT
[#8]
thank you, it is chrome lined
Link Posted: 2/22/2005 9:01:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 9:19:38 PM EDT
[#10]
uhhhhh

is there any reason why my flash hider is different than those shown. and, does this thing scrw off

signed
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 11:38:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 3:04:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I've never seen any Rock River barrel marked or stamped with anything.  I have seen Wilson barrels from other vendors that were marked with the twist and whether or not it was chromed.
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 6:51:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Tweak (as always) is correct.  To elaborate on the "device" pictured in my post, it is a fake flash hider from RRA that slides around the tip of the barrel.  It does nothing other than give the look of a flash hider and provide a little protection for the barrel crown.  RRA installed them on rifles during the assault weapons ban when real flash hiders were restricted.  Stupid stuff, both the ban and the fake flash hiders, but that is what we had to live with.
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 7:04:39 AM EDT
[#14]
I just got a ban era RRA M4 barrel in and it is stamped "N9C" near the barrel extension.  I'm guessing the "9" means 1/9 twist, the "C" means chrome lined, as it looks just like the chrome lined pics above, but the "N" has got me stumped.
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 7:11:18 AM EDT
[#15]
For what its worth if youve got the pressed on fake flash suppressor, RRA will take your upper, cut the old worthless one off and thread and install a real flash suppressor for about 50 bucks.  Makes the barrel exactly 16" so they permanantly attach it, but so is the pressed on so who cares.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 7:12:31 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
For what its worth if youve got the pressed on fake flash suppressor, RRA will take your upper, cut the old worthless one off and thread and install a real flash suppressor for about 50 bucks.  Makes the barrel exactly 16" so they permanantly attach it, but so is the pressed on so who cares.  

I'm going to do it myself.
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 10:37:21 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I just got a ban era RRA M4 barrel in and it is stamped "N9C" near the barrel extension.  I'm guessing the "9" means 1/9 twist, the "C" means chrome lined, as it looks just like the chrome lined pics above, but the "N" has got me stumped.

NATO chamber?
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 10:43:12 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NATO chamber?

Duhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 11:08:49 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I've never seen any Rock River barrel marked or stamped with anything.  I have seen Wilson barrels from other vendors that were marked with the twist and whether or not it was chromed.

Here's a closeup of the chamber area of my RRA midlength carbine's barrel:

It says quite clearly "N 9 A"  It has a 1/9 twist, and is not chrome-lined.  Mongo, could the "N" mean NATO chamber?  I haven't taken a casting or anything, but is that possible?

ETA: I didn't see all of the posts before this because they probably came in while I was typing MY reply.  I thought just about all RRA barrels came with the "compromise" (can't remember the correct term right now) chamber, not a NATO chamber.  NOT THAT I'M COMPLAINING!
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 12:20:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top