BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/6/2004 12:08:36 AM EDT
Anyone remember the flame thread from last year, and their website that only had a under construction/coming soon page?    After seeing the recent "Best collapsing stocks" thread, I checked the Duostock website, and surprise - Its now up, with music, video, sound effects and flash animation.  

As goofy as the hockey stick shape looks, the practicality and design are interesting.   I'm not going to buy one, but since there are so many new posters here looking for something new and no one here has ever tried or reviewed one, who will be first?   This was last year's laughing stock (no pun intended); Will it end up being on future "must have" lists?

duostock.com

Link Posted: 5/6/2004 12:58:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Not me...

Digital
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 1:11:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Momma always used to say, "If you can not say something nice, don't say anything at all."
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 2:04:16 AM EDT
[#3]
My Momma always used to say, "If you can not make something nice, don't make anything at all."
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 3:59:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, I'd try one but I don't have any firearms with standard collapsible buffer tubes on them now. Plus, I'm really happy with my MagPuls.

Kisara, I do agree that it does look intriguing and might actually work out well.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 4:13:35 AM EDT
[#5]
A couple of my buddies bought theses at the gunshow.  We are going to a carbine school in June in which they will be reviewed.  At first I was sceptical, then I tried one.  They do have their purpose. Personally I think they are ugly as hell.  I would rather get shot cause I was a little slower on the draw than put one on my AR!!!!  The review will be posted late June.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:10:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for volunteering Kisara. Look forward to your report.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:36:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd rather eat cat shit with a knittin' needle than put that shit on my beloved Colt.

Why the fuck does every god damned thing have to be modified?  Fucking RETARDS!
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:14:43 AM EDT
[#8]
hahahaha no way
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:22:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
 I would rather get shot cause I was a little slower on the draw than put one on my AR!!!!  The review will be posted late June.  

Hell, I'd offer to shoot MYSELF before using that!  No offense intended to the maker...
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:23:36 AM EDT
[#10]
It looks like a big LIMA BEAN!!

However, I could see how it would allow a better cheek weld w/o having to crane your neck.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:29:20 AM EDT
[#11]
DWW22-  You only have 27 post, I wonder

If I was to design a stock with that much wasted space in the lower buttplate area, I would at least make a way to hold a extra 30-round magazine.  I feel sorry for the investor that payed for the tool.  Maybe he did it for a tax write-off. The company put more money into their website then they did in product development.

The stock may be practical but it's to F-ugly to own.

ls
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:34:30 AM EDT
[#12]
It's funny how some people are SOOOO open-minded about something new and different. I say the proof is in the pudding - does it work or doesn't it? IMHO, if you can you learn that function is more important than form, you can have an AR that really "works". Remember folks, this isn't supposed to be a beauty contest. If you want to enter your AR in a beauty contest, I suggest taping a couple of mags together and pump your AR full of silicon.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:42:36 AM EDT
[#13]

Damn, thats fugly.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:56:27 AM EDT
[#14]
I see what they are trying to do - but I wonder why they didn't incorporate the 'enhanced' cheekweld area that the LMT/Crane and the VLTOR both use?
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:16:40 AM EDT
[#15]
It looks like a decent idea, but it's certainly not asthetically pleasing. He at least put some theory and thought into the design and didn't just throw it together for looks (obviously). If the guy didn't base the design of a standard M4 telestock and just went with something completely different/new, hemight be able to pull it off. The thought is there, but the delivery is weak.

Possible improvements?

- Skeletonize it and have that ugly part swing down when you need it and go away when you don't.

As far as bashing the appearance... I think the Vltor is just as if not uglier than that thing.

Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:14:19 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm reading the web site and I'm starting to see an advantage to this stock. Damn I'd buy one but it's $90.  I got other projects on the burner.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:49:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Dig it, Boom_stick.

If they found anyone willing to put it on their gun, THEY SHOULD GET IT FREE.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:51:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Considering the M4's Max effective range is 100 meters at best (with a tail wind), how important is a perfect cheek weld?
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:09:13 AM EDT
[#19]

If they found anyone willing to put it on their gun, THEY SHOULD GET IT FREE.

No doubt!

It's like Al Franken on SNL, reporting from the scene with a satalite dish on his head.  Ya, it might work....but if it looks that goofy, do you really care?
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:12:23 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Considering the M4's Max effective range is 100 meters at best (with a tail wind), how important is a perfect cheek weld?

?

EQUIPMENT CHARACTERISTICS, CAPABILITIES, AND FEATURES
M4/M4A1 CARBINE
Caliber ................................. 5.56 mm
Weight ................................... w/30 (loaded) round mag 7.5 lb
Length ................................... Buttstock Closed 29.75 in
Buttstock Opened 33.0 in
Mechanical Features:
Riffling . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (RH 1/7 twist)
Detachable carrying handle w/integral accessory mounting rail
Buttstock has four positions; closed, 1 R open, 3/4 open, and fully Open.
Firing Characteristics:
Muzzle Velocity . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2,970 fps
Chamber pressure . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 52,000 psi
Cyclic Rate of Fire................. 700-970 rpm (approx.)
Fire Selector ............................ SAFE-SEMI-BURST (M4)
SAFE-SEMI-AUTO (M4A1)
Max Effective Rate of Fire:
Semi . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 45rpm
Burst/Auto . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 90 rpm
Sustained Rate of Fire 12/15 rpm
Max Effective Range 500 meters (individual/point targets)
600 meters (area targets)
Max Range 3600 meters

END OF TASK

... or is it a joke because of the tail wind thing?
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:21:14 AM EDT
[#21]
If they put some rails on it, made it look more futuristic, and asked $300 for it I think it would appeal to more Chairborne Rangers and Keyboard Commandos.    For Military use it seems to be a good idea.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:28:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Well it actually looks like there is a market for this, maybe I should contact Al Franken and see if we can market a satalite phone with the dish on a helmet.  I guess stranger things have happened....like:

http://www.duostock.com/DUOSTOCK.COM.data/Components/DSC00467rd.jpg
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:35:25 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
DWW22-  You only have 27 post, I wonderhr
  Lord Stoner, I don't understand.  Must you post to be knowledgeable?
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:35:44 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
If they put some rails on it, made it look more futuristic, and asked $300 for it I think it would appeal to more Chairborne Rangers and Keyboard Commandos.    For Military use it seems to be a good idea.

OHHHH NOOOO!!! BWAHHHHH HAAAA!!!

It's funny cause it true!!! But it is their right to spend all their babysitting and lawnmowing money on whatever they want to.

You forgot zombie hunters!!!
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:38:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Boom_Stick nailed it.  A great big ugly Lima Bean or perhaps some misshapen tropical fruit.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:00:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Apologies in advance for VLTOR owners.

Quoted:
I'm reading the web site and I'm starting to see an advantage to this stock. Damn I'd buy one but it's $90.  I got other projects on the burner.

I agree this is a good idea. The thing is FUGLY, but look at the VLTOR - that thing is ugly enough to make your eyes water.

I read the R&D section from the Duowhatever and I'm sort of impressed:
www.duostock.com/r&d.html

I would consider trying it too.  It looks like it will work and had a lot of thought put into it.

Edited to add: Oh, and apparently its not green either (I don't know why the website shows it that way):

Q: What color is it?
A: They are all made in a flat black finish; Of course you can paint it any color you like to match your anticipated terrain.

Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:02:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Maybe someone should CC duostock this thread so they can get some feedback from the customers (or lack of).
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:45:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:38:13 PM EDT
[#29]
I think the VLTORs look cool
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:06:34 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

?

... or is it a joke because of the tail wind thing?

It's partially a joke.  I'm going off the recent complaints from Afgahnistan and the readings of the Mogodishu event.

Dismal Terminal ballistics at ranges beyond 75 meters with M855 ball ammo.  Of course a good Marksman can hit a target out to 500 meters, but terminal ballistics at that range are shit.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:11:40 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Indeed!  There is so much "how does this look" or "I bought this cuz it looked better than that" shit on here it's sad sometimes.

Too many guys build a rifle so they can celebrate their LOOK AT ME SYNDROME at the range.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:19:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Perfect gift/accessory for the guy with the AR Canoe, the "Paddle Rifle".
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:19:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Now, if they had only called it a "tactical" something or a "SOCOM" stock, guys would be all over it.

I still can't believe they would use green for their display photo. Just asking for it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:51:06 PM EDT
[#34]
I have no need for it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:09:37 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Now, if they had only called it a "tactical" something or a "SOCOM" stock, guys would be all over it.

I still can't believe they would use green for their display photo. Just asking for it.

Paint it black, add velcro, and call it tactical.
They'd sell a million.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 1:37:56 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Paint it black, add velcro, and call it tactical.
They'd sell a million.

IT'S TACTICAL!

From Duostock Web  Ordering:
Tactical Duostock
M4/CAR15 Universal
Only $79.99 Each

IT'S BLACK!

NEARLY THERE!!!
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 2:44:59 AM EDT
[#37]
I dont know if I would buy one.  Id like to give one a try.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 3:44:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Rotate that picture 90' and it looks like me when I first "get up" in the morning.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:08:45 PM EDT
[#39]
While I’m on leave I had some time to surf the net a little and saw this thread. This came up a while ago before I’d actually used one. I am a guinea pig that has been using the stock for several months now.   I guess I’ll have to say something, this should fan a few flames!

It works!  It is designed for tactical shooting on the move.  If all you want it for is shooting prone or bench rest, don’t waste your money.  If you’re an experienced tactical shooter (I have been on a shooting team 6 years now), it will make sense to you.  You still may not like it, but it does make sense. It’s just more comfortable, if you’re comfortable, you shoot better/faster.

Once you get used to it, you will learn to keep the bottom of the stock on a “sweet spot” on your chest while held in low ready.  Instead of your head moving down as the gun comes up, you don’t move your head, the gun just swings up raising the sights to the target and it seems to just lock in place.  Makes first shot a lot quicker. With that large lower piece sitting on your chest, recoil is better absorbed and follow up shots are quicker and easier to keep on target.

It’s Black!!!  If the people doing the laughing would at least look at the website you will see that the green ones were prototypes. Kisara, I don’t know why you picked that picture to start the thread.  We had access to a prototype and it did have a few problems besides the color that have been corrected.  You guys sure do get worked up over something that’s fixed with a can of Krylon(mine is now a pleasing desert tan)

Overall I really like it even though there have been a few problems with it.  

1. It’s looks!  I have had to take some s__t off some guys in my group.  Usually once they try it they shut up.  You have to be open minded and quit worrying about it’s looks(rules out a few posters right off the bat!).  I thought the forward handgrip looked dumb at first.
2. It does take a little getting used to.  With so much muscle memory, you want to shoulder it like a regular stock and it feels weird.  After an hour or 2 of training it feels natural.  In fact, another drawback is that it spoils you.  You get used to keeping your head up and when you go back to the standard stock it pisses you off to have to bend your head over with a regular stock.
3. The fit was a little loose on the colt tube. It would rattle a little.  It really wasn’t that big a deal when it was mounted, didn’t even notice it. Nothing a little moleskin couldn't fix Several guys had trouble with the latch pin being too loose too.  It is my understanding that they have modified the mold to improve the fit and will replace anybody’s stock if they want it. They stand behind their product.

That’s my 2 cents

I don’t plan to take my Magpul off one of my guns (not for what I paid for it!).  It too is an outstanding stock.  But for close in work, I have put a duostock on my “house gun” along with my work gun.  I know that some will still criticize it and make fun of it; I guess it makes them feel like an expert.  The fact is that certain people with great credentials have been using them in far away places for a while now. I have bet my life on it a few times now.  I know I don’t have hundreds of posts, no time for that. I go back to work next week but once I get off active duty I’ll be around here a lot more.   No, I don’t know the owners or get a kickback for this post (but I should!),
Good Luck, hope to be back soon!!

Link Posted: 5/11/2004 11:27:36 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Rotate that picture 90' and it looks like me when I first "get up" in the morning.

Yeah, from that picture I'd expect the words "Ribbed For Her Pleasure" to be on the box somewhere...

I actually like it a little better like this:

I just think it looks better a little more "angular" than "sex-toy."

Definitely looks better in black:

mgabriel - thanks for the real-world input, man.  I agree that function>form, even if you do have to take some ribbing from the guys.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 11:54:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Hey!

The airsoft guys will LOVE it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 12:38:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 1:42:30 AM EDT
[#43]
For as much as I don't like the looks, I really really like the idea of not having to crane my neck to get a good sight picture. There's nothing stupider than sacrificing utility for appearances.

I think I'll get one.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:17:30 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I know I don’t have hundreds of posts, no time for that. I go back to work next week but once I get off active duty I’ll be around here a lot more.   No, I don’t know the owners or get a kickback for this post (but I should!),
Good Luck, hope to be back soon!!

No, you don't have hundreds of posts - you have eight and every single one of them has been in threads about the Duostock.  In fact, weren't you the poster who started the original Duostock thread? For such a busy guy, not affiliated with Duostock in any way of course, what is it that makes you want to post just about this one product?

Since you seem to have some experience with the product maybe you can answer the other question that is bugging me, why is everyone of these guys in the photo shooting with a collapsible stock fully extended and their head on the end of the stock?
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:39:13 AM EDT
[#45]
isnt duostocks song on their website from "the rock"
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:58:06 AM EDT
[#46]
If someone gave me one, I'd try it, but no way in Hell I'm going to pay for one of those things.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:34:19 AM EDT
[#47]
While I think this thing might work as intended, I just thought of a great name for it after seeing it for the first time in green -  the Bean Stock
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 1:38:09 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I just thought of a great name for it after seeing it for the first time in green -  the Bean Stock

So if 3rdtk gets one, he will have a new nickname!
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 4:13:23 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Anyone remember the flame thread from last year, and their website that only had a under construction/coming soon page?    After seeing the recent "Best collapsing stocks" thread, I checked the Duostock website, and surprise - Its now up, with music, video, sound effects and flash animation.  

As goofy as the hockey stick shape looks, the practicality and design are interesting.   I'm not going to buy one, but since there are so many new posters here looking for something new and no one here has ever tried or reviewed one, who will be first?   This was last year's laughing stock (no pun intended); Will it end up being on future "must have" lists?

duostock.com

www.duostock.com/DUOSTOCK.COM.data/Components/DSC00467rd.jpg

Oh my God!  I hope not!  OK, I'm all for function befor form, but COME ON!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 4:48:46 PM EDT
[#50]
So if this is for getting a quicker first shot(Weapon from standby to ready position)

Would it not be less work to keep the same mechanics and make a Raised(Repostioned) sight mount? Like to extend a rail up and over to the operator so when the weapon is raised into ready position, the sight is there without havingto hunch down and lean in to acquire a target through conventional sights?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top