Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2009 1:52:57 AM EDT
It's becoming almost a family tradition, my youngest son Cody and I went to the Langley Ranch yesterday. This was our fourth year in a row to go hog hunting between Christmas and New Years.  This year my grandson Jacob joined us and had a big time.

Here's Jacob in the tree stand with his new BB gun

Jacob had to shoot grandpa's hog several more times, to make sure it was dead.

The red hog is mine, a 160# boar, Cody got the best hog again, a 185# boar with nice tusks.

I used my 1975 vintage Marlin 1895 in 45/70 with Federal 300 JHP ammo. A 25 yard high shoulder shot put the hog down and the bullet was found under the hide over the off side.  This was the second 45/70 I've had lately that didn't exit.

Cody used a Marlin 45/70 guide gun with the same ammo. He hit the boar right between the eyes at about 40 yards and it went down with all four feet in the air. Mr Langley went to get the mule (Kawasaki mule) but when he got back the boar was still thrashing around like crazy and required several more shots, Keith loads from a 44 magnum, to finish it. Mr Langley said it was one of the toughest hogs he's ever seen.

Nice tusks on Cody's boar, he's probably going to mount this one.

Jacob provided back up and "coup de gras" shots with his new Daisy .177 caliber rifle.

I think that Jacob and Mr Joe are buddies now ...

Link Posted: 12/27/2009 2:51:03 AM EDT
[#1]
That's cool.  

Those 300 gr. factory JHPs are relatively lightly constructed bullets.  I think they make them with old rifles and deer hunting in mind.  If you can get some of the Buffalo Bore ammo for your .45-70, I can damn near guarantee you won't have that problem again.  http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=150
Link Posted: 12/27/2009 8:03:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Three generations hog hunting, thats too cool.

whereabouts in TX is the langley ranch?
Link Posted: 12/27/2009 8:22:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Great thread.  Well done.

Jacob has excellent trigger discipline.
Link Posted: 12/27/2009 8:41:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks to all, and I think we have another little guy hooked on hunting.

Quoted:
That's cool.  

Those 300 gr. factory JHPs are relatively lightly constructed bullets.  I think they make them with old rifles and deer hunting in mind.  If you can get some of the Buffalo Bore ammo for your .45-70, I can damn near guarantee you won't have that problem again.  http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=150

I have all kind of 45/70 ammo, including some BB and one box of Garrett loads. I also have my handloads that go up into the shoulder crunching range. Since my grandson would be along I figured the Federal factory ammo would be about the quietest, and hopefully make more of a boom than a sharp crack.  They worked fine, my hog was a bang flop and Cody's didn't go anywhere, it just wouldn't die. I got over there after he'd delivered a couple of head shots and it was still going nuts. Hard to make a precise head shot when the thing is flopping around like a catfish in the bottom of the boat!

Link Posted: 12/27/2009 8:45:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Those are great pics! It looks like you guys had a fantastic hog hunt there......Jacob must have been in "Hog Heaven", going out hunting with grandpa that's for sure....!

It has been a long while since I've done any hog hunting, but when I did, I used my standard Marlin 1895 rifle in .45-70 and it worked great. The ammo was the factory Remington 300 grain JHP and it never failed to put down a hog. The ranch I hunted on was in Burnet, Texas. It was called the "North Morgan Creek" ranch back then. Not sure if it is still there, but it was a great place to hunt.

Thanks for sharing.....!!!!
Link Posted: 12/27/2009 8:49:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Three generations hog hunting, thats too cool.

whereabouts in TX is the langley ranch?

The Langley Ranch is near Centerville, TX which is halfway between Dallas and Houston.

Book your hunt early, they fill up fast.
http://www.texaswildhoghunting.com/
Link Posted: 12/27/2009 6:13:34 PM EDT
[#7]
man those hogs look like they have done a job on that land with all the mud wallows and rooting
Link Posted: 12/27/2009 6:30:54 PM EDT
[#8]
This thread made me smile.....

Looks like a FINE time was had by all.
Link Posted: 12/27/2009 6:57:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Great write up, nice happy family story.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top