BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 12
Posted: 8/21/2009 12:26:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 6:38:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Ya know, I never understood why they called Mason jars canning.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 6:39:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 7:28:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I approve of this message.  We've done quite a bit of "cold" canning of tomato based sauces and soups, but will be getting onto the pressure canning later this summer.  I can't wait to can some cheap meat.

ETA: for those interested, there are usually shit tons of people (obviously with more money than me) that give away canning jars for free on craigslist, particularly in the fall.  Last year we got 200+ over the course of a weekend in the Seattle area. Several dozen were still new in the box.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 7:50:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Seems I heard........................those jars can be used to drop grenades from a helo...................pull pin, insert grenade into jar.  Keeps the spoon in, so it doesn't blow............drop. jar breaks, spoon pops off...................................

They did it on T.V....................that show "Riptide" (let's see if anyone remembers THAT one), so it MUST be true.........................
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 9:16:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 9:21:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Once again, I approve of this message.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 9:26:01 PM EDT
[#7]
How do you plan on using that beef, i.e. what type of recipes etc?  Have you done this with beef before?  If so, what type of textural consistency did you experience out of the beef after a bit of storage?
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 9:52:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 10:06:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
snip

Thanks for the write up, sir.  This thread has seriously motivated me.    I'll be looking forward to the rest.  Also, LCR1's recipe would be kickass if it can be shared.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 10:10:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Seems I heard........................those jars can be used to drop grenades from a helo...................pull pin, insert grenade into jar. Keeps the spoon in, so it doesn't blow............drop. jar breaks, spoon pops off...................................

They did it on T.V....................that show "Riptide" (let's see if anyone remembers THAT one
), so it MUST be true.........................

I not only remember that show, I remember that episode!

Loved the helicopter on that show.  Screaming Mimi.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 10:22:27 PM EDT
[#11]
That canned beef looks delicious!

OdT, if you're interested, I've got a recipe for pickled asparagus.  Seems pretty simple, but I've never tried doing it myself.  I've tasted it, though, and it's damned good.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 12:40:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Hmmm. Eeeenteresting.....
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 1:15:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Tagscribed.  Salmon season opens soon
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 1:29:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Two can play at this game:

When Life gives you lemons...

Make lemonade...

(Don't ask)
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 4:30:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 5:08:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 5:17:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Measurements and process for yesterdays beef (mostly for Dallas, but anyone is welcome to read)

Pressure canner will hold 8 wide-mouth pint size jars, per session. (Ours. They do sell larger and smaller pressure cooker/canners. This one will also hold 12 1/2 pint jars, double stacked. Perfect for smoked salmon.) Wide-mouth jars are a bit more expensive, but are much easier to fill and to clean.

We did 16 pints yesterday. 15 lbs of beef (we bought 6 '2.5lb' roasts on sale at Safeway for $1.89lb) was pretty hard to stuff in to 16 jars after trimming away plenty of hard fat before cooking. 12 lbs of trimmed/prepped meat should be about right. If you have a dog, he'll enjoy whatever doen't fit in to the jars.... a few ounces per batch in our case.

1 clove garlic per jar, or two little ones.

Three 32oz containers of broth were used. We ended up throwing maybe a cup or so of it away, that didn't fit.

According to the canning books and several other canning enthusiasts, the recipe isn't all that critical. The process of canning is. (disclaimer:) Pay close attention to the details in your manual, including headspace and sanitation methods. And don't be lazy about the pressure cookers warnings. If you're not the type to pay close attention to detail, stick to the pre-canned stuff at the store. Hate to see anyone get hurt or sick because OdT said this or that.

Some people can it raw, some believe in browning it first, some put 1/2 teaspoon of salt in each jar, others use broth instead of water, garlic is optional, smoke it first or not at all, trim all the fat off or leave it and it will form it's own wax-like seal at the top of each jar, throw a jalapeño pepper in each jar, etc.... The possibilities are endless I suppose.

We chose to use garlic and broth only, after grilling it briefly on the smoker. I'm not sure what it is about canning something that has been smoked, but a little goes a long way. It will have plenty of smoke flavor with as little as an hours worth of smoking. (that's all that I used for the salmon mentioned before, and it was better than perfect.... and it's just enough cooking time to allow the skin to fall off of the meat easily. But that's another post, for another day)

This beef was smoked/grilled on high (hot) for about 10 minutes per side. (20 min total). We haven't tasted it yet, but there's no doubt there's a solid amount of smoke flavor, as evident by the strong smoke smell when we opened the canner. Made my mouth water

The amount of actual time it took was roughly 3 hours per batch. The amount of time spent actually working was around 30 minutes per person (2 of us). The rest of the time is spent waiting on temps to rise and fall, and monitoring the pressure on the canner. Pretty light duty really, and fun too.

We're going to do chicken breast this afternoon, using the exact same recipe. (chicken broth instead of beef broth). I bought 12 lbs of boneless and skinnless this morning. Haven't decided how I'm gonna slice them yet, but I think against the grain, to facilitate shredding, to be used in assorted mexican dishes.

Hope this all makes sense. Just kinda rattled off what we did yesterday.  

Excellent.  Instructions are copied and put into the recipe folder.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 9:19:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 11:33:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 12:47:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Seems I heard........................those jars can be used to drop grenades from a helo...................pull pin, insert grenade into jar.  Keeps the spoon in, so it doesn't blow............drop. jar breaks, spoon pops off...................................

They did it on T.V....................that show "Riptide" (let's see if anyone remembers THAT one), so it MUST be true.........................

That actually the first thing I thought of...
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 5:18:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 5:37:04 PM EDT
[#22]
You're a canning animal.  Cool addition to the thread.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 5:43:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Jars are for women.

What you need are some of these!  
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 5:45:17 PM EDT
[#24]

Ok, now you're forcing me to try canning some rhubarb.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 5:48:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 5:55:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Hey OdT, why Fuji apples for applesauce? I ask because they seem very expensive for making applesauce (to me). I have found the cheapest apples available still make great applesauce. You can jar it and freeze it no need to "can". Good stuff!

Also, now that you have eaten some of the beef, is there any adjustments you'd make to the recipe? I'm going to be giving it a try soon. Makes my mouth water.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 5:55:36 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

That is uncanny...because he's a Mason.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 6:19:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 8:18:51 PM EDT
[#29]
If you find an older pressure cooker, your county health dept can check it out for a minimal fee...(make sure it doesnt explode when you use it).......
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 8:18:53 PM EDT
[#30]
If you find an older pressure cooker, your county health dept can check it out for a minimal fee...(make sure it doesnt explode when you use it).......
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 9:02:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Great thread. This is our second year doing a garden and we are planning to can this year, I never really thought to can meat.  I definitely want to do some apple sauce, pickles and tomatoes this year. I always cook with low sugar too, everything is too damn sweet! I also got a vacuum sealer so I think I may blanch and vacuum pack some squash and zucchini, I may try canning it too though. I tend to like frozen veggies better then canned but it may be better being "home canned" I would imagine. Great info here thanks for sharing. What other stuff do you can?
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 9:12:55 PM EDT
[#32]
OdT, what was the cut of beef you used? It did look a bit lean, a round of some sort? I'm thinking chuck would be very good for this just trim out the biger bits of fat. I also think some pork shoulder would lend itself to this method very well. I think some good marinade and time before the grilling would be a good thing to try too.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 9:15:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 9:22:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 9:34:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I also think some pork shoulder would lend itself to this method very well.

Oooooooh. I hadn't even thought of pork yet. Excellent!

IBSSB (In before somebody says bacon)

Not sure what type of roasts they were. "Round" rings a bell. Chelleshooter looked hi & lo for the receipt for you, but it must be gone already. At $1.89 per lb, I'm sure it wasn't much. Definitely wasn't chuck roast. I would have remembered that.

I just looked at last weeks Safeway ad, they had top round on special for $1.89 lb. bet that was it. Starting tomorrow QFC has boneless chuck on sale, buy one get one free, which will pretty much equal $2.25 lb. I think the good thing about canning is that the process will really enhance the less expensive cuts of meat. Thanks for starting this thread. You really got me going on this.

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 10:09:40 PM EDT
[#36]
7 or 8 dozen wide mouth quart, pint, and half pint mason jars at the yard sale tomorrow.

$1/dozen

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 10:20:55 PM EDT
[#37]

Cripes, I need quart and pint jars for the honey season....

Now looking at this thread I'm gonna need a lot more jars...

Link Posted: 6/27/2009 6:11:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 6:32:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Nice!
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 10:54:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/28/2009 2:23:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:

That is uncanny...because he's a Mason.

This is perhaps the best food thread in WAHTF history!

Did you shave your arm?

Link Posted: 6/28/2009 5:34:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Looks nice. Me hungry.

Have you tried just cooking a roast in the pressure cooker? They are most awesome and faster than a roasting pan. They end up even more tender than a slow cooker.
Link Posted: 6/28/2009 10:28:06 AM EDT
[#43]
damn this was a bad thread to click on when I got the muchy's........nice job :)
Link Posted: 6/28/2009 10:38:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/28/2009 2:50:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/28/2009 4:47:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Damn, all these good food pictures make me hungry!!

Score====perfect 10/10
Link Posted: 6/28/2009 6:20:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/28/2009 8:20:46 PM EDT
[#48]
In before the finished product!

Lets see, we have cow, chicken, pig and fish. Needs more game.

Link Posted: 6/28/2009 8:31:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/29/2009 8:23:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
In before the finished product!

Lets see, we have cow, chicken, pig and fish. Needs more game beaver.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top