Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2011 5:43:31 PM EDT
I just bought a gas/kerosene can that doesn't totally suck! Its made by Blitz USA.  

Most of the new gas cans have the insanely stupid nozzle that requires you to push down on the top of the gas tank (often soft plastic gas tank) to open the flow. These types of gas cans have cause millions of gallons of gas to be spilled that would not have with the old type gas cans. Government bullshit at its best.

The Blitz can I am linking is so easy to use I would have bought them before the insanely stupid regulations. They have a valve to that you can push down on after you position the gas can. Its not a one handed job, but its not terribly hard either.

I had to put some kerosene into a small container. I just set the can on its end so the spout was facing straight down on a chair. Then it was easy to manipulate the valve and pour the K1 into the container.  

These cans are so well done that I like them better than my pre ban gas cans. I could probably sell my prebans for more than I paid for these and buy more.

http://www.blitzusa.com/products/fuel/Containment/ef5pg.html
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 5:45:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 6:20:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I always buy the least expensive ones. Then I drill a hole in the top!  Then I plug it with a cut down wine cork.  It looks a bit redneck but that is how I roll!
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 6:30:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I always buy the least expensive ones. Then I drill a hole in the top!  Then I plug it with a cut down wine cork.  It looks a bit redneck but that is how I roll!

If you do that, you still have to deal with the stupid valve. These cost the same as the other cans and work better than the originals.

I bought two gas cans at Tractor supply tonight on sale for $8 each. The kerosene can was $12 and change.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 7:14:04 PM EDT
[#4]
screw compliant.....

what are you using them for?
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 7:19:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out the links in the post a few threads down in Survival Gear.

The new ones suck bottom line. Unless you can get decent Race Cans.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 8:06:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Am I missing something? Those look exactly like any other CARB-compliant can I've seen or used.

I have this one for my two-cycle stuff and it has the same valve doohicky as the one you mentioned.

Link Posted: 1/14/2011 8:37:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I just bought a gas/kerosene can that doesn't totally suck! Its made by Blitz USA.  

Most of the new gas cans have the insanely stupid nozzle that requires you to push down on the top of the gas tank (often soft plastic gas tank) to open the flow. These types of gas cans have cause millions of gallons of gas to be spilled that would not have with the old type gas cans. Government bullshit at its best.

The Blitz can I am linking is so easy to use I would have bought them before the insanely stupid regulations. They have a valve to that you can push down on after you position the gas can. Its not a one handed job, but its not terribly hard either.

I had to put some kerosene into a small container. I just set the can on its end so the spout was facing straight down on a chair. Then it was easy to manipulate the valve and pour the K1 into the container.  

These cans are so well done that I like them better than my pre ban gas cans. I could probably sell my prebans for more than I paid for these and buy more.

http://www.blitzusa.com/products/fuel/Containment/ef5pg.html

This can is available at WalMart here for under $10. I bought 6 of them a few months ago. And yes, they aren't too bad to use.

Link Posted: 1/15/2011 1:13:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought several of these a few months ago for back-up diesel for the P/U and cars.  

However, last month when I started to rotate them into the truck I learned what absolute crap they are.

On the first can, I tried to pour the fuel directly into the truck and the plastic latch kept getting hung up on the filler port area on the truck and I ended up with pieces of broken plastic valve latch on the ground.

Also, there is no longer a vent port on these new cans so they take forever to empty.

To rotate the rest, I ended up screwing the valve completely off and putting a funnel in the fuel port.

I would not recommend this product to anyone.
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 6:00:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Am I missing something? Those look exactly like any other CARB-compliant can I've seen or used.

I have this one for my two-cycle stuff and it has the same valve doohicky as the one you mentioned.

http://www.blitzusa.com/products/fuel/Containment/enviroflo/81005%201+%20Enviro-FloGasplus.JPG

Apparently you are missing something. Almost all the compliant cans I have seen have a tube inside a tube and they are activated by pushing down. They suck really bad.

These type cans don't totally suck and that is why I posted. For fueling up my little generator and filling my kerosene heater they are actually considerably better than the old style cans for spillage and controlling the fuel level. I can comfortably fill the kerosene heater without spilling a drop and with very little K1 smell. I can watch the fuel level while filling and cut the flow without tipping the can back.

I just thought that folks here would like to know how usable these are. I have not tried them on my truck, but if they don't work well for that I will stick a funnel in first and then use them like normal.

They are a little slower. I don't care that much about that. Its not like I am racing with my lawn mower.
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 7:00:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I had to buy one of these cans for kerosene. I was dreading it with all the horror stories I have heard about the new cans and the fill valves. I am very pleased with it. I can fill the kerosene heater without spilling a drop. I put the nozzle in the hole, pull back on the safety and push down on the lever. As the guage comes to full, I release the lever and the flow stops. Not one drop spilled. As far as how fast it fills, It is a little bit slower than a vented can, but it is not unreasonable. One day I will have to time emptying this versus my metal MFC's.

I wonder why scepter can't just put a nozzle like this on there cans so they can sell them again.
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 7:57:44 AM EDT
[#11]
How well do the plastic cans hold up with age? I was thinking of picking up a couple today and would be happy if they lasted 5 yrs.
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 8:02:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How well do the plastic cans hold up with age? I was thinking of picking up a couple today and would be happy if they lasted 5 yrs.

I have old walmart cans that I bought before Y2K. The plastic is faded quite a bit. I am not sure how many more years they will keep going before the nozzle part will finally give way. They are structurally sound. The vent caps have been replaced years ago by threading the hole and putting bolts in them.

These new cans should not be much different. I plan on buying a couple extra valves in case they break.
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 8:11:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have old walmart cans that I bought before Y2K. The plastic is faded quite a bit. I am not sure how many more years they will keep going before the nozzle part will finally give way. They are structurally sound. The vent caps have been replaced years ago by threading the hole and putting bolts in them.

These new cans should not be much different. I plan on buying a couple extra valves in case they break.

Thanks for the input!! By the way, I appreciate the reviews you do and has helped me with some of my purchases on a tight budget.
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 8:15:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the input!! By the way, I appreciate the reviews you do and has helped me with some of my purchases on a tight budget.

Thanks. I try.
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 8:41:13 AM EDT
[#15]
I have one of these gas cans. It looked different than the crappy ones I had before. It sucks ass. I may put this one on the garage sale in the spring so I don't have to put up with it any more.

its the one on this page with the straight nozzle.

http://www.scepterconsumer.com/auto/carb_cans/
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 1:03:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I did this:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=251551

ETA: I bought my cans when they came out with the self-venting nozzles. I expect the new button jobbies will break in no time.
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 3:03:58 PM EDT
[#17]
I have sevral of these plastic jugs.  The button/lever get up on some dont work at all right out the door and some work fine.  I am averaging 2 good nozels for every bad one (I have 6 cans total) but YMMV)  Replacement nozels are available.  Being plastic nozels I would not trust the working ones to last for extended periods (especialy in cold weather).  My oldest can of this type is only 6 months old so I cant speak about how long the cans will last, but I have read that it is not great if they experience temprature extreams.  Bottom line, I am convinced (but have yet to order one) that a super siphon is the best way to get gas out of these (or any CARB compliant can).
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 8:57:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Apparently you are missing something. Almost all the compliant cans I have seen have a tube inside a tube and they are activated by pushing down. They suck really bad.

These type cans don't totally suck and that is why I posted. For fueling up my little generator and filling my kerosene heater they are actually considerably better than the old style cans for spillage and controlling the fuel level. I can comfortably fill the kerosene heater without spilling a drop and with very little K1 smell. I can watch the fuel level while filling and cut the flow without tipping the can back.

I just thought that folks here would like to know how usable these are. I have not tried them on my truck, but if they don't work well for that I will stick a funnel in first and then use them like normal.

They are a little slower. I don't care that much about that. Its not like I am racing with my lawn mower.

Gotcha, I'm tracking now. Once you said the "tube inside a tube" I was instantly reminded of filling my mom's mower with that type and pretty much ALWAYS having fuel spill. Like I said earlier, I have the smaller, green-valve can for two-cycle stuff. It works ok so far(2 years). I'll have to pick up some of the 5 gallon ones and see how they compare to my DO cans...I worry that the plastic won't last very long.
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 10:29:36 PM EDT
[#19]
My Dad bought one of the 5 gallon Blitz cans with the green lever spout after the ancient US Army style Blitz died when they moved (got squashed in the moving truck).  For him it was unusable; the old cans he could do with two hands, one on the handle to lift, one on the bottom to tilt.  The new one was impossible when full; he could not lift the can and operate the lever with one hand (the other still needed for tilting).  I gave him a NATO jerry can and spout and he has no problem at all with it.  I suppose he could have used a 1 or 2 gallon can with the carb spout, but that would have been a real inconvenience.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:36:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha, I'm tracking now. Once you said the "tube inside a tube" I was instantly reminded of filling my mom's mower with that type and pretty much ALWAYS having fuel spill. Like I said earlier, I have the smaller, green-valve can for two-cycle stuff. It works ok so far(2 years). I'll have to pick up some of the 5 gallon ones and see how they compare to my DO cans...I worry that the plastic won't last very long.

My rubber maid cans were bought before Y2K. They are still fine. I have an older can that has to be 10 years older than that.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 10:28:53 AM EDT
[#21]
I filled my new 2000W Champion generator with one of these blitz cans just a little bit ago. It was super easy to avoid over filling because the valve allows you to slow the fuel flow when nearing the top of the tank. Just letting the valve close some is all it takes. I actually prefer these tops to the old type spouts for filling small tanks.

They are a lot slower over all, so there will be folks who hate them for that.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 5:03:52 PM EDT
[#22]
I found these Scepter cans yesterday...  Thought that they belonged in this thread because they are CARB compliant and seem to not suck...  They are made from significantly heavier material than the cheap Blitz HDPE cans.  The delivery mechanism seems to be reasonably sturdy/effective...  I just got one yesterday and haven't tried it out yet so I can't give any first hand experiences...

Link Posted: 2/25/2011 5:07:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I found these Scepter cans yesterday...  Thought that they belonged in this thread because they are CARB compliant and seem to not suck...  They are made from significantly heavier material than the cheap Blitz HDPE cans.  The delivery mechanism seems to be reasonably sturdy/effective...  I just got one yesterday and haven't tried it out yet so I can't give any first hand experiences...

http://image.basspro.com/images/images2/thumbs/1469791_98214-t.jpg

Let us know. The function is the big complaint, so that is the key factor.
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 4:22:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://image.basspro.com/images/images2/thumbs/1469791_98214-t.jpg

Let us know. The function is the big complaint, so that is the key factor.
OK... so I took the can out for a spin today...  I am very fond of the material - nice, thick HDPE...  I filled the can up with 5 gallons of regular and drove around a bit ending up back at my house...  when I took the can out of my trunk, not a single drop had escaped the can although the can was mildly bulged...  I then laid the can on its side in my driveway for 15 minutes - not a single drop of gas escaped the can...  I then inverted the can with the CARB spout in place but not opened - not a drop of gas escaped the can...  At this point I am reasonably pleased with the can...

...and then I tried a pour...  It ended up taking about 3 to 4 minutes to empty the 5 gallons into my car's tank...  in the process I ended up losing about a tablespoon or 2 of gasoline...  that is about a tablespoon or 2 more that I usually lose with the old style self venting (non-CARB) Blitz cans!!!  Although in fairness, it may have something to do with the fact that I stored the spout in the can when it was full and then laid the can on its side totally submerging the spout in gasoline...  this may have trapped some gasoline in the spout which was then released when the spout was engaged...  I'll have to try putting the spout in its pouring position once the can is filled... this may avoid any gasoline loss...  (I'll edit this post with the results)

The CARB compliant spout on this can is annoying for sure but I think that it is probably less annoying, more functional, and more durable than the crap spouts that I have seen on Blitz cans at Homer Depot recently...  Having said that, I can tell it is a problem waiting to happen...

So, in summary >>>

Can = Great!  Well built; doesn't leak.

Spout = Sux at least a little...  While I think it is well designed and built (especially when compared to its contemporaries), it is still a bit complex due to its CARB compliant design...  and because of its complexity, you can guarantee having a problem with it if you own it long enough (and use it)...  but I don't think that it totally sux.

Recommendation > If you use this can, you should probably keep a super siphon and maybe a long neck funnel near by.  When the spout fails, it will probably do so with little or no warning at the worst possible moment...  (I think that this is called "Murphy's Law of CARB compliant pour spouts")

Now that I think about it, this is probably a good recommendation for all CARB compliant cans...

That's my 2 cents... YMMV...
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 3:37:01 AM EDT
[#25]
I just use a funnel with the new cans.
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 4:19:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Much the same experience with a plastic blitz. 7-8yrs old, stored in a ventilated shed at a place in the mountains, subject to temperature extremes. Much o fthe color leeched out of the upper portions of the jug, but it is still sound and in use.
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 4:23:38 PM EDT
[#27]
I used one of my new blitz cans to fill up my mom's car today. It was super easy but took a little while longer than the old cans.

One thing I will say. Make sure you open the valve up to let out air pressure and to get any fuel in the valve back into the can. I spilled a little that was in the mechanism.

I know some folks hate these cans, but I am satisfied over all.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 4:47:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.blitzusa.com/products/fuel/Containment/enviroflo/81005%201+%20Enviro-FloGasplus.JPG

Quoted:
I had to buy one of these cans for kerosene. I was dreading it with all the horror stories I have heard about the new cans and the fill valves. I am very pleased with it. I can fill the kerosene heater without spilling a drop. I put the nozzle in the hole, pull back on the safety and push down on the lever. As the guage comes to full, I release the lever and the flow stops. Not one drop spilled. As far as how fast it fills, It is a little bit slower than a vented can, but it is not unreasonable. One day I will have to time emptying this versus my metal MFC's.

I wonder why scepter can't just put a nozzle like this on there cans so they can sell them again.

I agree with you guys, out of all the CARB compliant cans, these are the best I've found. I have 2 of them a 2 gallon can for my 2-cycle stuff and a 5 gallon for 4-cycle stuff. IMHO, the best thing you can do with these when you get them is remove the stupid safety "catch". It's PITA. I removed them from my cans so now all I have to do is push down on the lever, not pull the catch back AND push down.

I do have one complaint though. On the 5 gallon the valve leaks when the lever is depressed so I do get spilled fuel. The 2 gallon has been excellent. It is great for filling chainsaws, you can use the valve to control the flow of fuel rather than trying to tip the can just a little more to get a little splash of fuel in the tank.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 4:55:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Sooooooo frigging glad I bought 6 of the brand new metal cans before this CARB shit kicked off. The newer CARB ones are great for one thing...spilling fuel. I do have one or two of the new ones for a chainsaw, might have to make some mods to it. :-P
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 7:20:19 AM EDT
[#30]
For years and years I used race fuel jugs. Even when I couldnt get non carb cans in CA you could still get these. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/188/1/0/0/DEPARTMENT/Dirt-Bike-Motocross-Fuel-Cans-Accessories.aspx I had and still have dozens of them. You can get them anyplace that sell dirt bikes. Big shops charge upwards of $40.00 but find a small shop or discount plkace like cycle gear and they are about $20.00 to $20.00. I carried 4 in each of my SUV's for years. They do smell a bit but they work. I left 20 or so outside under a tarp on the shaded side of my house. Up to 105 temp and burned gas that was well over two years old with no issues. Burned that gas in my 95 yukon, 98 suburban, 97 v8 explorer and my 03 v10 super duty in CA. Now that I have euro cans I have stopped using the race jugs. But for states where getting cans are an issue look into Race fuel jugs. They are an easy way to carry 6 gallons and you can get all kinds of nozels for them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top