Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2009 4:28:10 PM EDT

source

Annual corn maze takes form of a road map to The County

By Jen Lynds
BDN Staff

CARIBOU, Maine — Every weekend there is something going on in Aroostook County, Mark Goughan said Friday afternoon.

This weekend, Caribou is celebrating its 150th anniversary and Houlton is lauding its agricultural heritage during Potato Feast Days.

With that in mind, Goughan decided that the theme for Goughan’s Berry Farm’s fifth annual corn maze should highlight The County. Visitors can come to the farm for opening day today to check out the maze that boasts the theme, “All Roads Lead to Aroostook County.”

“We have a lot to offer in this region and we wanted to show that,” said Goughan. “This is a fun way to do it.”

This year’s maze is etched in 6 acres of corn on the family-run farm on Route 161, the Fort Fairfield Road. Goughan and his farm crew have crafted the maze to look like a map of the state with major routes running through it. Aroostook County is a massive landmark in the creation, the craggy coast is well-marked, and Maine’s islands are represented as well.

Inside the maze, adventurers can play one of three games. One will have them find items and locations such as blueberry fields, sawmills and lighthouses in appropriate regions of the maze. Another game will quiz them on state trivia, and the third game will offer brain teasers about state geography.

“It will take you at least a half-hour or 45 minutes,” Goughan said Friday. “But you could stay in there three hours if you wanted to. It is up to you. You can play one of the games or all of them.”

The maze begins in Kittery and ends when travelers make it through The County.

Goughan and his wife, Gloria, started the farm in 1976 and grow all kinds of crops, including potatoes and strawberries. Hayrides, pumpkin patch treks and other seasonal events also are popular, as well as the farm’s homemade ice cream.

The corn mazes at the farm have always been a draw. The inaugural maze was a moose, and an eagle was created two years later.

Spuddy, the lovable character who represents the Maine Potato Board, also has been featured.

“We have always had big crowds at the maze and people seem to love it,” Goughan said. “It really is a great activity for families.”

The maze is open 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. every day until Oct. 31. The cost is $7 per person and children under 5 get in free.

Everyone who wins a game gets a free ice cream cone.
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 6:14:33 PM EDT
[#1]
That's actually pretty cool in an applie pie sorta way.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2009 3:37:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
That's actually pretty cool in an applie pie sorta way.  

I thought so
Link Posted: 9/24/2009 3:40:23 PM EDT
[#3]
No thanks. Me and the dude "he who walks behind the rows" dont mesh well
Link Posted: 9/24/2009 3:41:11 PM EDT
[#4]

obvious photoshop

Link Posted: 9/24/2009 3:43:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

This guy?

Link Posted: 9/24/2009 3:43:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I went to one of those in Louisiana, It was huge and took forever to get through.
Link Posted: 9/24/2009 3:51:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

This guy?

http://assumecrashpositions.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/malachi.jpg

He wants YOU TOO, Malachi....He wants you, too!
Link Posted: 9/24/2009 3:56:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Those crop circle guys are desperate for attention.
Link Posted: 9/24/2009 4:08:47 PM EDT
[#9]
a Maine maize maze in Maine
Link Posted: 9/24/2009 4:20:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
a Maine maize maze in Maine

I assume that it's the main Maine maize maze in Maine and not the minor Maine maize maze in Maine.
Link Posted: 9/24/2009 4:26:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

This guy?

http://assumecrashpositions.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/malachi.jpg

There's a haunted field locally where they do something similar on Halloween.  Become pretty popular from what I hear.

FWIW, I had a buddy that was absolutely terrified of corn fields.  He was a big sumbitch, but one night we had been hitting the bottle pretty hard.  Some friends and I waited until he was passed out and we drug/carried his ass out into the middle of a neighboring cornfield.  Guy made it out after a lot of pretty awful screaming, but not until he had shit his pants.  Funny until he started swinging at us.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top