Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2009 2:05:06 PM EDT
Was going to head down to Cape Cod this weekend, but the weather was looking better downEast. So be it.

I took off for Acadia National Park yesterday morning. I took some pics, but was mostly blasting around MDI on the bike. Anyhow, I'm happy to share the pics I did take. Enjoy.

I must say, of all the places I've been, Acadia National Park, right in my own backyard, is one of the prettiest places I've ever been. I assure you it's about a million times prettier than any photo, and these photos only scratch the surface of the park.

Oh, I did stop on the way in Prospect for a minute at the Penobscot Narrows Bridge.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penobscot_Narrows_Bridge

Also I had to stop in Ellsworth to check out the Veterans Memorial. After all, it's Memorial Day weekend. I seldom drive by them. I did briefly ponder how many people were driving by, barely notice it or consider what it represents, or why they have Monday off from work or school.

Ok, on to MDI. I'm not going to point out the names to every mountain, harbor, etc. You should come check it out for yourself. Trust me.

Egg Rock

This, Precipice Ledge, I'm just dying to climb. Unfortunately some damn peregrines are nesting or something till mid-August. Oh, well, another time.

actually, I think this pic is a different mountain,  but it looked like this one, but bigger.

oh, rly?

Just playing with the zoom feature a little

and who doesn't love beavers

Seawall area

a little seaweed for ya

this fog bell is about 120 years old

and finally, I saw this on the wall at a little convenience store on MDI, it made me laugh.

and that's that. I'm going to try to get right back over there soon with a nice, young lady I've been seeing lately. I think every time I've been to Acadia before, the only things I've checked out were Cadilac Mountain and Schoodic Point, so this was a nice change of pace to look around a little further. This was more of a bike trip, but I'm hoping to get back over there soon and do some of the hiking trails, carriage roads, and whatnot. So much to see and life is short. Get on it.

Link Posted: 5/24/2009 2:09:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Next time go up on Cadillac Mountain to catch the first sunrise in the US.

Cool pix.

Link Posted: 5/24/2009 2:12:36 PM EDT
[#2]
awesome pics thanks for sharing
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 2:28:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Pepperidge Farms Remembahs!

Sorry, I think of that every time I see one of those lobster boats.

Link Posted: 5/24/2009 2:52:24 PM EDT
[#4]
excellant pics. Wife and I went to Bar Harbor for our honeymoon and spent alot of time hiking around Acadia. I really like that area very much.

Thanks

J-
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 3:00:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice pics.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 3:01:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Maine is one of my favorite places anywhere, and MDI is one of my favorite places in Maine.  First wife and kids and I spent two weeks in Maine and the majority of that on MDI in '85.  Third wife, stepdaughter, and I spent three weeks in Maine in '00 but only spent a couple days on MDI.  I recognize many of the places in your pics.  The wife and I are talking about going back next year again.  (FRESH Lobster, Yeah!)
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 3:03:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice shots. I went to UMO many years ago. LOVE THE STATE!!!! Nothing but fond memories.
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 3:19:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I was there probably 10 years ago. It's a pretty sweet place, but was in the 50s in July. I was ill prepared.
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 3:20:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Cool pics. Reminds me of my trip to Bar Harbor about 3 years ago. It was in late summer/early fall and the trees were beautiful.
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 3:52:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Cool pics.  I've never been there, but looks pretty nice.
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 8:28:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Cool pix.

I bet that's nice. I always go up Cadillac when I'm there, I was trying to see some new places this time.
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 8:37:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 8:42:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 8:43:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don't know why I look at any of your pic threads.  They only depress me for I miss Maine so.

I'll take that as a compliment.

Maine'll be right here for you when you move home.
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 8:46:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 8:49:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't know why I look at any of your pic threads.  They only depress me for I miss Maine so.

I'll take that as a compliment.

Maine'll be right here for you when you move home.

What are the employment prospects looking like?

Link Posted: 5/25/2009 8:55:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Great pics. Looks like you had a fantastic day. I sure do miss my bike rides all thru central KY or down the coast of FL. Not much better in this world than cruising along on a nice two lane hwy, smelling and hearing the world around you. One day i'm going to get up there and put a dent in the Lobster population.

My bike would be pissed if I hadn't snuck a pic of her in there!
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 8:57:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Great pics. Looks like you had a fantastic day. I sure do miss my bike rides all thru central KY or down the coast of FL. Not much better in this world than cruising along on a nice two lane hwy, smelling and hearing the world around you. One day i'm going to get up there and put a dent in the Lobster population.

My bike would be pissed if I hadn't snuck a pic of her in there!

Thanks!

The bike's in there... sort of

Link Posted: 5/25/2009 8:58:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for posting.  The ex and I went there and enjoyed a really laid-back weekend.  We stayed here , these IMMACULATE little cabins at a mom & pop place.

If you go, be sure to have those popover things at Jordan Pond and walk the carriage roads.  These were roads laid out by the Rockefellers (I think) to take carriage rides on around the island, and were designed toae advantage of the views.  No cars- just foot traffic.
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 9:00:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thanks for posting.  The ex and I went there and enjoyed a really laid-back weekend.  We stayed here , these IMMACULATE little cabins at a mom & pop place.

If you go, be sure to have those popover things at Jordan Pond and walk the carriage roads.  These were roads laid out by the Rockefellers (I think) to take carriage rides on around the island, and were designed toae advantage of the views.  No cars- just foot traffic.

I wanted to check out the carriage roads, but I'm going to have to do it another time. I think you're right about the Rockefellers.

My impression of the carriage roads is that they give you an awesome view of the interior of the park. A lot of cobblestone roads, bridges etc.

eta- actually, I haven't been on a bicycle in years, but that would be a pretty cool way to check them out too. Then you could stop and go at your own leisure.
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 9:01:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 9:01:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
"Mt. Desert Island"

How is that a desert?

Just the name.

Our only desert is in Freeport. http://www.desertofmaine.com/ I have little idea what it's all about, but I made plans last night to check it out with a lady friend on Monday, a week from today.

Interesting. copy/pasted from wikipedia-
Origin of the name
Some natives stress the second syllable (de-ZERT), in the French fashion, although many others pronounce it in a fashion similar to the English name of a landscape devoid of vegetation (DEH-zert). French explorer Champlain's observation that the summits of the island's mountains were free of vegetation as seen from the sea led him to call the island "Isles des Monts Desert", or Island of the bare mountains.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Desert_Island
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 9:04:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Man do I miss New England.  

Thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 9:04:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 9:07:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Once again, awesome pics!

We're going up there this August for a little camping and exploring, haven't been in 6 or 7 years... 20+ years ago I helped move an ornithologist I knew up there.... time flies.

Well, bring a camera and check out those carriage roads for me, would ya? I live 100 miles from MDI but it's hard to get up there sometimes, work work work you know.
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 9:10:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Awesome, thank you!!
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 9:18:59 AM EDT
[#27]

well why not, I'll shamelessly borrow someone elses photobucket pics. Carriage trails

more of the coast

Link Posted: 5/25/2009 9:28:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 9:41:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Great pics in this thread!

A couple of years ago, my wife and I flew up to Manchester, NH, and then drove up the coast to Acadia (a nice, long Fourth of July mini-vacation).  It's a beautiful area.  

Oh, and the blueberry pie...  
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 12:28:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Once again you bring a tear to my eye with your pix of that great state.

I will be heading up there in July with the whole brood, staying in Friendship.

Plan on taking a bunch of pix to share here as well.

Thanks for posting and don't ever stop.
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 12:39:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Great pictures, thanks for sharing.

About 30 or so years ago, I did a lot of tromping around in that area.  Brings back some good memories.
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 12:52:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Amazing pictures, thank you for sharing.

That huge grey house is nice.  Wonder what something like that goes for.
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 1:19:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Amazing pictures, thank you for sharing.

That huge grey house is nice.  Wonder what something like that goes for.

I don't even want to know. I imagine the property taxes alone would make my jaw drop.

Probably a Martha Stewart or somebody.
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 2:16:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Once again, great job!
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 2:25:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Nice pics.  Where is the Red October?
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 2:32:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1208793

That's incredible. I'd never heard about that.  That's in the Penobscot River just a couple miles North of the Penobscot Narrows Bridge. I'm going to have to check that out.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 3:58:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Once again you bring a tear to my eye with your pix of that great state.

I will be heading up there in July with the whole brood, staying in Friendship.

Plan on taking a bunch of pix to share here as well.

Thanks for posting and don't ever stop.

Friendship is a really pretty area, I hope your stay is great. Endless things to see down there. The lighthouse at Marshall Point isn't very far from there, it's the one that Forrest Gump ran out to in the movie. My parents actually went there today.
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 4:12:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Nice pics. I live and work in the area and I see it every day.  It's beautiful here but the employment is sure taking a hit.
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 4:17:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Thanks SW..........been a while.........a loooong while since I've been in that neck-o-da-woods.
Great pix.
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 4:25:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool pix.

I bet that's nice. I always go up Cadillac when I'm there, I was trying to see some new places this time.

Do you see it before Quoddy Point?

ETA.................Is Perry's Nut House still as nutty as it was?
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 4:31:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Nice photos as usual. Maine is a beautiful sate and I hope to visit there someday with my wife.
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 5:24:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Nice pics. I live and work in the area and I see it every day.  It's beautiful here but the employment is sure taking a hit.

I'm incredibly jealous. MDI is gorgeous. I've put myself on a quest to see Isle De Haut someday soon, too.
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 6:56:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's incredible. I'd never heard about that.  That's in the Penobscot River just a couple miles North of the Penobscot Narrows Bridge. I'm going to have to check that out.

Thanks!

hahaha. Turns out this is a hoax. I was going to go check it out today. Oh, well.

Link Posted: 5/26/2009 2:26:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's incredible. I'd never heard about that.  That's in the Marsh River just a couple miles North of the Penobscot Narrows Bridge. I'm going to have to check that out.

Thanks!

hahaha. Turns out this is a hoax. I was going to go check it out today. Oh, well.

Well, I did check it out today. I see someone today has added a red x over the google earth pic of the sub.

First I stopped at Sears Island http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sears_Island
These are two pics from the west side of the island. There's actually a causeway to drive to it now, but it used to be a tidal road.

Alright, here's my wild goose chase. I was in the area anyway, figured I'd check it out.

I did leave something to perpetuate the myth though...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top