Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2006 3:33:44 PM EDT
Like the title says.

I don't have a dog in this one.

I bought the complete LMT SOPMOD from Quantico Arms at the Fort Lewis, WA store. They rock!
Their cost is $236.00 for the complete stock kit.

I bought the Choate 16-01-04 mail order from Choate. Excellent service, shipped to my door in 4 UPS days.
Their cost is $135.00 for the complete stock kit.  

And now on with the show....

Both laid out side by side disassembled.

LMT butt stock

Choate butt stock

Both side by side

Bottom view

LMT buffer tube

Choate buffer tube

Both are well made, a bit of overmold plastic on both.
No big deal.

The Choate buffer tube is longer, but the inner length is the same.

The differences between the battery storage compartments is obvious (or it should be).

The LMT butt stock is made of plastic while the Choate butt stock is made from both metal and plastic.
On the "bottom" piece where the slide release is the Choate is made of metal that's been put into the injection mold (near as I can tell) and the plastic was injection molded around it.
This has resulted in the Choate stock weighing (calibrated elbow) about 1/3 more than the LMT butt stock.

I am keeping the Choate, and if I were building another AR15 I would not hesitate to buy the Choate stock kit and use it.

Comments?    
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:39:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Great compairison. I've just made up my mind on what I'm buying for mine. Looks like Choate Tool is getting my money.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:40:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool, thanks for the review.

I saw the Choate stock the other day in some gun magazine, can't remember which one, and it looked good.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:43:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I think i will be getting a Choate stock as well.............looks very nice
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:54:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I spent the day with Fred Choate at the World SWAT Challenge and his stocks ar selling fast !
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:25:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Update pictures coming:

Pictures of them mounted and........

Buffer tube follies!  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:39:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I have Choate stocks on my bolt guns.  Of course, since they don't cost as much as McMillans, etc, they get scoffed at and some snide remarks like "get a real stock".  Fucking snobs.

My Savages in Choate stocks:

The one in front is the Sniper stock, but both rifles are now sporting the black stocks like the one in the background.

These stocks work as well as some that are a lot more expensive.

Choate makes damn good stuff and it's the best value in stocks of any kind out there.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:45:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Buffer tube follies....

left to right
Bushmaster
LMT
Choate

LMT stock and buffer tube

Bushmaster stock and LMT buffer tube
It's loose

Choate stock and LMT buffertube
It's really loose

Bushmaster stock and buffer tube

LMT stock and Bushmaster buffer tube
It does not fit

Choate stock and Bushmaster buffer tube
It's very loose

Bushmaster stock and Choate buffer tube
It does not fit  

LMT stock and Choate buffer tube
It does not fit

Hmmm........
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:46:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't think anyone has been in the firearm polymer accessory business longer than Choate.

Though I am not sure about metal battery storage tubes...possible to drain the batteries?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:52:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Though I am not sure about metal battery storage tubes...possible to drain the batteries?

Only the threads are metal.
They are an insert into the tube.
The tube is plastic as are the caps.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:10:20 PM EDT
[#10]
And for the final photos:
Installed!
On my Bushmaster/Les Baer mixmaster.  

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:37:33 PM EDT
[#11]
When I fondled an LMT sopmod, it had ZERO wobble and movement.  Having a beard and a wobbly M4 stock, I can't really express the potential pain in firing the weapon without shouldering it solidly first to avoid the stock pinching hairs between it and the buffer tube.

So, is there ANY forward/rearward movement of the Choate when installed?  Can you jiggle it backwards and forward at all?  Is this another beard-trimmer stock?  

- BG
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:45:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
When I fondled an LMT sopmod, it had ZERO wobble and movement.  Having a beard and a wobbly M4 stock, I can't really express the potential pain in firing the weapon without shouldering it solidly first to avoid the stock pinching hairs between it and the buffer tube.

So, is there ANY forward/rearward movement of the Choate when installed?  Can you jiggle it backwards and forward at all?  Is this another beard-trimmer stock?  

- BG

Not on the one I have.
It's almost as tight as the LMT SOPMOD I have.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:52:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I love my Choate stocks on my other guns. And I'm waiting on a delivery of one of the AR stocks this week.
(but it's for a FAL)
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:53:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Great thread... I've actually been considering one or the other of these two stocks. I'm still inclined to go with the LMT, but that's an expensive chunk of plastic.

BTW, this thread might be better off in the AR section so it doesn't get buried so fast in GD. I did see that you left a link to it over there.

Keep us posted.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:09:32 PM EDT
[#15]
If I am not mistaken your saying the buffer tube for the Choate is not milspec so it will not work with an LMT stock or probably Voltor and is not compatable with Bushmasters or Rock River stocks either?

I also do not like the way the stock plate is held on with two small screws on the Choate.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:17:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
If I am not mistaken your saying the buffer tube for the Choate is not milspec so it will not work with an LMT stock or probably Voltor and is not compatable with Bushmasters or Rock River stocks either?

You are a sharp slice of cheese......
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:42:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
They make one for mil spec tubes also.

When I ordered it I was told that both stocks were the same, and that both would fit the mil-spec tube.

I'll have to call them up on Monday and ask.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:31:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Is it just me or does the Choate look more solid than the LMT?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:32:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

The Choate has a metal insert under the plastic while the LMT does not.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:29:47 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Choate has a metal insert under the plastic while the LMT does not.

Have you heard anyone complaining about LMT not being solid enough?  I have no problems with mine.
Link Posted: 4/26/2006 3:12:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Is it possible to remove the sling mount that is at the bottom rear of the Choate stock?  I do not mount my sling at this position and I try to remove things I don't use from my weapons.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/26/2006 5:04:30 AM EDT
[#23]
TAG
Link Posted: 4/26/2006 6:56:22 AM EDT
[#24]
I bought a Choate stock and I love it.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2006 7:14:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/26/2006 9:19:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Looking at your pictures the Choate stock looks more durable and I have to say it looks better than the LMT on the rifle.
Link Posted: 4/26/2006 11:36:09 AM EDT
[#27]
KA3B
Well done review.

Thanks  

Link Posted: 4/26/2006 11:41:55 AM EDT
[#28]
tag for update and future usage.

half the price and all of the goodness.......great concept!

BTW: Have you ever used a VLTOR (clubfoot or otherwise) stock?  If so, how does the Choate compare?

Do you have to remove the Choate stock (like the LMT) to access the battery compartments?

thanks,
ROb
Link Posted: 4/26/2006 6:00:54 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
BTW: Have you ever used a VLTOR (clubfoot or otherwise) stock?  If so, how does the Choate compare?
Do you have to remove the Choate stock (like the LMT) to access the battery compartments?

No.

No

Remember that the Choate weighs a little bit more.
Link Posted: 4/26/2006 6:08:49 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

- BG

That just explained alot, Ive had my bushmaster about a week now and have been trying to figure out how and where it was yanking the hairs out.
Link Posted: 4/26/2006 6:30:05 PM EDT
[#31]

Good thread, KA3B.

How does the cheek weld compare?

I would feel better if I knew it was a solid fit on a mil-spec buffer tube.

Link Posted: 4/27/2006 6:56:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Spoke to Mr. Choate last week ......... the kit comes with a non-mil spec extension tube and non - mil spec stock. Only way to get a mil spec stock is to buy the stock separate and obtain a mil spec extension tube. I asked 3 times to make sure that I understood the info correctly. Still a sturdy and nice looking stock if you ask me - think its a great buy for the $ spent.

Still thinking about one ....... but I really like my VLTOR club foot and about ready to drop dime on another.

Hope this helps a little.
Link Posted: 4/27/2006 7:09:36 PM EDT
[#33]
tag-
of happiness, not doom
Link Posted: 4/27/2006 8:30:44 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Spoke to Mr. Choate last week ......... the kit comes with a non-mil spec extension tube and non - mil spec stock. Only way to get a mil spec stock is to buy the stock separate and obtain a mil spec extension tube. I asked 3 times to make sure that I understood the info correctly.

Meaning they do indeed have 2 different stocks - one for mil-spec tubes and one for their own Choate-spec tubes?

Link Posted: 4/29/2006 7:57:01 AM EDT
[#35]

Meaning they do indeed have 2 different stocks - one for mil-spec tubes and one for their own Choate-spec tubes?

That was my understanding and I asked 3 times to make sure.
Link Posted: 4/29/2006 9:24:04 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Good thread, KA3B.

How does the cheek weld compare?

I would feel better if I knew it was a solid fit on a mil-spec buffer tube.

Cheek weld is the same as the LMT SOPMOD I have.
Link Posted: 4/29/2006 9:25:30 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Spoke to Mr. Choate last week ......... the kit comes with a non-mil spec extension tube and non - mil spec stock. Only way to get a mil spec stock is to buy the stock separate and obtain a mil spec extension tube. I asked 3 times to make sure that I understood the info correctly. Still a sturdy and nice looking stock if you ask me - think its a great buy for the $ spent.

Still thinking about one ....... but I really like my VLTOR club foot and about ready to drop dime on another.

Hope this helps a little.

Had I known this I would have bought just the stock.
When I called I was told that there was no difference between the two.
Next time I'll ask the owner of the company.  

Still a great stock for the price.

Link Posted: 4/29/2006 9:29:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Looks interesting, but I'd still rather have a Magpul stock.

I've got one on my AR now and consider it to one of the best firearms-related purchases I've ever made.

4 days and counting...
Link Posted: 4/29/2006 9:36:14 AM EDT
[#39]
tagged, need a stock for a build and this is pretty promising!  Save some $$$ on the stock and put more  $$$ into optics

EPOCH
Link Posted: 4/29/2006 9:36:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Finally!  Choate builds something that doesn't look like COMPLETE ASS.
Link Posted: 6/4/2006 3:56:54 AM EDT
[#41]
great info, thanks
Link Posted: 6/13/2006 12:38:57 PM EDT
[#42]
How many of you who own the Choate stock have noticed that it rattles a bit? Mine seems to be a bit loose, i.e. side to side on the buffer tube. Is this normal?
Link Posted: 6/13/2006 1:39:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Here is an idea for all those light, sight, NVG sights, laser, rail, and stock designers and companies out there:
With all these new SOPMOD, and Magpul stocks that hold spare batteries, why don't we wire these compartment up and have a central power bus that all these components can attach to.  

I mean, having powered tracks imbedded into the 1913 rail, that the clamps can be used as terminals, so we operators don't have to deal with 2 to 3 different batteries for a single weapon.

All those AA, AAA, CR123, button batteries, gone. One type of battery, no others the fudge with.  

IMO, I think the ideal small arm power source is the CR123, the capacity, the avaliability, operation temperature, and storage time.

Comments?
Link Posted: 6/13/2006 2:43:12 PM EDT
[#44]
In their early designs, Mag-Pul gave examples of stock-mounted battery packs for lights and nvg.
Link Posted: 6/13/2006 2:52:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/13/2006 4:00:20 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Here is an idea for all those light, sight, NVG sights, laser, rail, and stock designers and companies out there:
With all these new SOPMOD, and Magpul stocks that hold spare batteries, why don't we wire these compartment up and have a central power bus that all these components can attach to.  

I mean, having powered tracks imbedded into the 1913 rail, that the clamps can be used as terminals, so we operators don't have to deal with 2 to 3 different batteries for a single weapon.

All those AA, AAA, CR123, button batteries, gone. One type of battery, no others the fudge with.  

IMO, I think the ideal small arm power source is the CR123, the capacity, the avaliability, operation temperature, and storage time.

Comments?

General Mud may have some problems with it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2006 4:04:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/19/2006 4:21:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Just how resilient is it?  The LMT SOPMOD was built tough to go through an infantry assault course and weapons torture tests.  Has Choate tested theirs on a similar level?  Things have a way of getting broke when I'm using them.
Link Posted: 7/28/2006 2:35:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Any word on how it is holding up? I was looking at this stock at the last gun show, but I couldn't get the pin to retract far enough into the lever to slide it over my tube so I put it down. But for the price I would definitely like to try one (assuming I can get it on my tube).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top