Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2010 5:50:24 AM EDT
I haven't done this in a while, life's been hectic.

Here's some pics I've been meaning to share for a while. Admittedly, they're from August, but it was a good time.

Five of us went to a good friends camp just a short ways west of Calais on the Airline Rd.  It was during a bitching heat wave, and we were all coping by staying very well hydrated, you know.

I guess we were up there for most of a week. We ate like kings, drank too much, pitched horseshoes, rammed around the backroads, and had some awesome fishing. Ah, Calais.

Where to start?

Fishing. Probably the funnest bass fishing I've ever enjoyed. Not saying exactly where, I guess anyone could figure it out though, if they wanted it bad enough. The whole region is good fishing near as I can tell.

That's all I'm showing you of that spot.

What's next? Well, the other four in the group were "couples", and though very good friends, I knew I needed to do my own thing for a day.

So, early one morning I took off on the bike for a long ride. Checked out some of my favorite spots, and a few I'd never seen.

I went down to Roque Bluffs, wasn't what I expected, no pics.

I believe these next two pics were in the little town of Cutler, can't remember.
I should have snapped a pic of the VLF transmitting facility.

So, after ramming around the area east of Machias, it was on to Lubec, and West Quoddy Head.

Awesome views of the Canadian island, Grand Manan.

There's several miles of very scenic hiking in the park, so I obliged a bit and soaked up the views. Afterall, this was just a getaway from work, life, etc.
And, damn, that cooler seabreeze felt good. That was a terrible, wicked heat spell that week.

Knew it was time to start heading back to camp, the day was getting late and we'd set up some plans for the late evening.

On the way out of Lubec, I believe this is the "Lubec Channel Light"

Back to camp. Big meal. Too much drink.  

Let's go find some bears!

I can't say where, but I think most folks know where to find the bears.

Have more pics of that adventure, but mostly just eyeballs in the dark.

Another day we all headed to Pembroke and the "reversing falls"

Temperature wise, it was the coolest spot we encountered all week. What a breath of fresh air.

Pics do no justice. Very cool place.

I can't remember what I was looking at here, there is either a bald eagle or an osprey in this pic somewhere.

It's hard to come home sometimes.

And with that, I bid you adieu.

Link Posted: 5/11/2010 5:52:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Maine.........how I miss the rocky shore...........
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 5:57:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Great pics and it looks/sounds like you had a good time.

Whenever I go back up to Maine I try and avoid the ocean like the plague. I was born and raised in Fryeburg and nothing says Maine to me like the Appalachians and miles and miles of woods with nobody else around.
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 6:00:38 AM EDT
[#3]
What kind of fish was that?  Didn't look like a bass.

I've always wanted to visit Maine.  I've pictured it as a Sportsman's Paradise.  I hear the bear hunting is great.
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 6:01:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice shots!

My family is in Brewer and we have a camp out near Ellsworth … It's funny, I've been going up there for a few weeks every year my entire life, but have never been up the coast to Lubec … I should really plan that this Summer.
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 6:05:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Maine just might be my favorite place on earth.

Awesome pics.

I go to Maine at least once a year and we always have fun.
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 6:09:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Then stay tuned. I've been to Acadia NP 3 times in the last two weeks.

I've got some really nice pics, I'll try to post them sometime soon.
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 6:13:12 AM EDT
[#7]
If you ever get the chance to get some pics of Gray Id love to see how its changed since I was last there in 92..... man I miss home sometimes.
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 6:23:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you ever get the chance to get some pics of Gray Id love to see how its changed since I was last there in 92..... man I miss home sometimes.

I'm in Gray now.  Been here since 2004.  In fact...I'm running for a council seat.  Neat place - poised for a lot of change so I'm trying to be a part of the process.  Had to use my real name though...lol, not sure how "Hokie" would be recieved by the general public!
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 6:24:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Savage_Winchester - I love these threads.  You've single handedly inspired a few roadtrips I've made over the past year.

I like the Quoddy Head stuff...it's been a number of years since I've seen that place.  Suprised you found it without a heavy blanket of fog!!!
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 6:27:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I miss Maine. Especially the Rangley to Greenville area.  I have fond memories of backing up as fast as I could to get out of the way of a charging moose.  Never rev the engine at a moose during a standoff on a narrow logging road. LOL
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 6:30:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Very nice pics.
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 6:30:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Cool pics, but I read the whole thing in Bob Marley's voice (the comedian, not the singer).

"Let's goo fine some beahs."
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 6:33:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Cool pics, but I read the whole thing in Bob Marley's voice (the comedian, not the singer).

Definitely the mentality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJNZdGF3Rys - contains vulgarity.

I admit, my accent is thick. Especially after a few days at camp.
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 6:36:35 AM EDT
[#14]
great pics. I think I talked with you a year+ ago about visiting for our honeymoon but we never did(went to mexico). Id still like to get up there sometime as it looks beautiful
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 6:38:03 AM EDT
[#15]
What a magnificent place!  Nice pictures, BTW!!

My wife and I visited there (lower coast up to Bar Harbor) a couple of summers ago.  The scenery combined with the blueberry pie made us consider relocating.  But, we looked at the temperature pattern and decided that it was just a great place to visit.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 6:40:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

My wife and I visited there (lower coast up to Bar Harbor) a couple of summers ago.  The scenery combined with the blueberry pie made us consider relocating.  But, we looked at the temperature pattern and decided that it was just a great place to visit.  

lol...yeah that whole winter part gets a little ridiculous once February is up.
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 6:44:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had between 39 and 41 on the thermometer yesterday afternoon. WTF was that?
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 7:00:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Kind of funny to find this thread as I spent the weekend back home. Columbia Falls that is.
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 7:01:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Im lucky to sail there every year on my dads boat...they live in freindship year round...still have 3 acres, 1 of which is on the water with 12' at MLW.
Manaan island.....petite manaan...Great Wass...Roque Isle-all awesome spots-west quoddy head.   You sail up there, out of reach of the stores and the harbor facilities, you tend to feel small but with nature and the ocean...I burn 3 weeks of leave every year and do 2 weeks on the boat with the kids.

here is our boat off Roque

and a shot some miles off our property-in Muscugous bay-this is harbor/hall island: 3 generations of us in this pic...we will  never sell our land-ever!

Link Posted: 5/11/2010 7:04:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Damn, I miss home!!!!
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 7:04:58 AM EDT
[#21]
I spent three years at NAS Brunswick. Wicked nice...
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 7:05:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Damn, I miss home!!!!

dude I got 5 more years here working drugs/guns then Im out and back home...20 years here and Im burnt
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 7:14:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for sharing. That's wonderful country.
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 7:22:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for sharing, I cant wait to get back up to Maine. June 2nd isnt coming fast enough!
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 7:32:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Great pics and it looks/sounds like you had a good time.

Whenever I go back up to Maine I try and avoid the ocean like the plague. I was born and raised in Fryeburg and nothing says Maine to me like the Appalachians and miles and miles of woods with nobody else around.

I used to always be inland as well. Hiking the AT, Baxter, etc.  

Just the last couple years, the ocean has been drawing me more. After visiting Monhegan Island, all I could say was "wow".

But I know just what you mean, I'll be in Baxter in a couple weeks. Probably try to do Gulf Hagas again this year as well.
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 8:11:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Great pics as always Savage

Thanks a bunch !

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It read 39 here in Dover at about 9pm last night...............but yet was only 30 down in Portland Go figure .
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 9:32:45 AM EDT
[#27]
visited once in the summer thought i was going to freeze at night lol

this thread is wicked full of the term "wicked" lol
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 9:37:48 AM EDT
[#28]
ain't that cunnin!
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 10:14:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A day or two ago we had 45 here.

This morning (or was it yesterday morning) it was 32.

Not bad for the month of May in CT.

Link Posted: 5/11/2010 10:18:38 AM EDT
[#30]
OP, a bunch of buddies and I made a trip to Maine a number of years ago to visit all the forts up the coast.

Knox and Popham were the most interesting, especially Knox. I guess Popham was cool, too, because of the location (right on the water, when tide comes in, it is almost entirely surrounded by the ocean). Popham was never finished because half-way through construction they realized forts were obsolete.

Link Posted: 5/11/2010 11:49:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
OP, a bunch of buddies and I made a trip to Maine a number of years ago to visit all the forts up the coast.

Knox and Popham were the most interesting, especially Knox. I guess Popham was cool, too, because of the location (right on the water, when tide comes in, it is almost entirely surrounded by the ocean). Popham was never finished because half-way through construction they realized forts were obsolete.

a lot of history around Popham. They still do a ton of archaeology around there.  To the best of my knowledge, the only thing holding back the amount of digging that they desire to do, is a lack of place to properly store the stuff.

Fort Knox is awesome.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=893178&page=1
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 11:54:51 AM EDT
[#32]
I miss Maine, but I love my job here! Moody's diner and lobster at Round Pond, mmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 12:03:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Awsome pics Savage!   It looks like you enjoy some pretty cool adventures.   Thanks for sharing with us again.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 1:25:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I miss Maine, but I love my job here! Moody's diner and lobster at Round Pond, mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

moddys right off Rt 1 and 220,,,,220 leads to friendship where my folks l live haha!  I love Maine
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 1:35:24 PM EDT
[#35]
nice pictures, thanks for sharing
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 1:50:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definitely the mentality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJNZdGF3Rys - contains vulgarity.

I admit, my accent is thick. Especially after a few days at camp.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
My child bride and I went to Maine for our 25th. At one point, we stopped for directions. For the life of me, I could not understand the lady at the counter...

Link Posted: 5/11/2010 3:40:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 3:49:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
visited once in the summer thought i was going to freeze at night lol

this thread is wicked full of the term "wicked" lol

You should hear us.

Fantastic as always, SW.
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 3:53:30 PM EDT
[#39]
makes me miss home...nice pics
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 4:00:10 PM EDT
[#40]
I dug for Clams near Pembroke last year.  Decent place.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 4:22:17 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A good friend of mine lives in Blue Hill (right next to Acadia NP). She invited us to come up this summer and we're definately gonna try to.  

Nice pics OP, thanks for posting them.

Link Posted: 5/12/2010 3:23:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

A good friend of mine lives in Blue Hill (right next to Acadia NP). She invited us to come up this summer and we're definately gonna try to.  

Nice pics OP, thanks for posting them.

Well, if you have the chance, there's a ferry out to to Isle Au Haut from either Blue Hill or Stonington. Stonington I think. I've never been there, dying to see it though.
Link Posted: 5/12/2010 3:34:09 PM EDT
[#43]
My buddy was stationed in Calais (CBP) and hated it there but I guess I would too if I didn't see my wife & children for 3 years
except 1 weekend every 2 months.

That is some beautiful country.
Link Posted: 5/12/2010 3:40:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Grandparents live up ther in Bolster Mills. They own the old town hall and a house on the river there. I haven't been up in a few years, but we used to go up and stay and King and Bartlett fish and game resort back in the day.
Link Posted: 5/12/2010 4:16:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks again, those help the 1/2 century old memories...
Link Posted: 5/12/2010 4:18:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Hey Savage,

Those photos look very familiar. Thats probably because I live Down East Did you get a chance to walk the bold coast trails in Cutler? The photos of the boats in the bay is definitely Cutler. I can actually see the Cutler Towers out my window right now. I have been on the base many times; it's quite the sight.

Im glad you enjoyed the area. Feel free to drop me a line next time you come down, if you do, and we can go shooting! :D
Link Posted: 5/12/2010 4:20:29 PM EDT
[#47]
i had no idea is was so beautiful over there... thanks for the great pics!
Link Posted: 5/13/2010 4:11:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Hey Savage,

Those photos look very familiar. Thats probably because I live Down East Did you get a chance to walk the bold coast trails in Cutler? The photos of the boats in the bay is definitely Cutler. I can actually see the Cutler Towers out my window right now. I have been on the base many times; it's quite the sight.

Im glad you enjoyed the area. Feel free to drop me a line next time you come down, if you do, and we can go shooting! :D

Ok, consider it done!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top