Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 57
Posted: 4/24/2010 10:39:28 PM EDT
First of all, I would like to apologize for the delay in getting these details out.  

The patent office dragged their feet in sending me confirmation that they had received my patent application... and I could not post the info until I had this confirmation....

This is what caused the 30+ pages of YOUR comments before the detail release...

I received this confirmation today... and posted the details today

I will post vid of GF demonstrating the device soon... just couldn't do that on short notice

WARNING: The device depicted is patent pending.  Prototype and drawings shown depict simply one embodiment of the device.  We have fully covered in the patent application every conceivable embodiment, including but not limited to, stamped and milled manufacture, single element for protrusion and securing means, etc... The PPA included 12 pages of drawings... and 19 pages of specifications (including claims)...  Also, foreign patents WILL BE applied for.

My brother says it best below:

When you've invented something useful (far moreso than 90% of the crap out there) for the AR-15, it's bound to get you excited. Put yourself in that situation.

It may not kill the Haji's for you, but it's a very simple, low cost upgrade that gives you more confidence in your weapon, and might save your ass. It adds no weight, no extra parts, and only requires a tiny change to ones loading procedure (assuming you don't already close your dust cover after an administrative loading). This invention is laconic and elegant, and it's quite understandable to be freaking-excited if you came up with it.

The patent pending invention demonstrated in the video, the "Firearm Battery Indication Device", provides a long awaited solution to a common "out of battery condition" that prevents safe and reliable firing in the AR15 type rifle platform.... The invention elegantly communicates the firearms action's battery status to the operator by utilizing the last step of the existing loading procedure. In short, an out of battery condition is made known to the operator when the present invention is not permitted to secure into the upper receiver in a similar manner as the standard dust cover is closed over the action.

Please read below if you don't understand the function of the invention... the invention is not intended to part of an immediate action drill, but is part of the LOADING PROCEDURE, as the standard dust cover would be.  This invention is not to be "shut after every shot"... it is not meant to be shut ANY MORE than the standard dust cover would be in military operations.

2. BACKGROUND OF THE INVENTION

[002]  The M-16 type rifle entered US military service in 1962, and since this time, the rifle has earned a reputation of unreliability.  This is partially due to the ability of the rifle, without the intent or knowledge of the operator, of being in an out-of-battery condition (a condition which prevents safe and reliable firing).  Such a condition, if not identified and corrected, posses a significant tactical disadvantage to the operator who unknowingly enters harm’s way with the inoperable firearm.  

[003]  Since the rifles adoption in 1962, it has included a dust-cover whose sole purpose was to keep debris out of the action.  This dust-cover is closed over the action as the last step of making rifle ready for combat operations, but said dust cover is perfectly capable of closing over an action which is out of battery.  Typical loading procedure is as follows; the operator inserts a magazine containing ammunition into the firearm, operates the charging device of the firearm, and lastly, after assuming that the rifle is in-battery (a condition which allows safe and reliably firing), the operator closes the dust cover over the action.

[004]  I write “assume” because, before the present invention, no device existed to communicate the firearm action’s battery status to the operator.  In lieu of the present invention, visual inspection of the action by the operator is the preferred method to guess the action’s battery status.  This visual inspection has proven unreliable, due to its dependence upon fallible human beings.  Further complicating this matter is the fact that visual inspection is made more difficult, often impossible, during operations in low light conditions.  In short, while closing of the dust-cover is the final step of making the rifle supposedly combat ready, the ability to close the dust-cover in no way ensures that the firearm is in-battery and thus truly combat ready.  Furthermore, insofar as I am aware, no battery indication device to solve these problems has been formerly developed, nor any battery indication device that functions in the manner described herein.

3. SUMMARY OF THE INVENTION

[005]  The present invention, an AR-15/ M-16/ M-4/ AR-10, and variant firearm battery indication device provides the long awaited solution to the problems described above by elegantly communicating the firearm action’s status to the operator.  The present invention utilizes the last step of the existing loading procedure to communicate to the operator the firearm action’s battery status.  The present invention is comprised of a rotation means, securing means, and protrusion, which altogether mount to the rifle both replacing the standard dust cover and utilizing its mounting provisions and interfaces upon the firearm upper receiver.  Said protrusion interacts with bolt carrier in such a manner as to prevent latching of said securing means into upper receiver when the bolt carrier is in such an out-of-battery condition as to not allow for safe and reliable firing.  However, if bolt carrier is in such an in-battery condition as to allow for safe and reliable firing, the protrusion and bolt carrier interaction permits the securing means to latch into firearm upper receiver.  In short, an out-of-battery condition is made known to the operator when the present invention is not permitted to secure into upper receiver in a similar manner as the standard dust-cover is closed over the action.

[006]  Accordingly one of the advantages of this battery indication device is to provide the operator of the firearm with the ability to be certain that his firearm is capable of safe and reliable operation after loading. Still further advantages will become apparent from a study of the following description and the accompanying drawings.

Please note that the patent pending invention prototype detailed in Youtube video and drawings seen below depict a single embodiment of the invention, several other embodiments are detailed in the actual patent application.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clFdFKsdWjw

In an attempt to help further understanding of what this invention does, I've decided to take some of our early concept art of one of our embodiments and post it, with descriptions.

A cross section of the upper receiver with the dust cover/device closed. Note the interaction between the protrusion and the carrier cutout. Some features exaggerated for ease of comprehension.

Note that retraction of the bolt carrier by just a few millimeters would prevent the firing pin from protruding sufficiently to strike the primer and reliably fire the weapon.

A cross section of the upper receiver, showing what happens if the carrier is slightly out of battery when you attempt to close the device. Notice how it attempts to push the carrier into battery. If it succeeds, it will then lock into the upper receiver as normal. If the carrier refuses to go into battery, the device will refuse to close, informing you of the problem.

A cross section of the upper receiver, showing what happens when the carrier is far out of battery and the operator attempts to close the dust cover/device. Notice how closing it is impossible, informing the operator of a problem.

Cliffs notes by my brother and partner in crime  

In the bolt/bolt carrier arrangement on the AR-15, the firing pin is retracted by the first few millimeters of rearward movement by the bolt carrier. This prevents the firing pin from striking the primer on the cartridge. This occurs before the bolt carrier begins to cam the bolt. This is why the AR-15 is completely safe when it comes to firing when the bolt is not safely locked to the barrel extension... It is impossible to make a properly functioning AR-15 fire in an bolt-out-of-battery state.

This is also a bit of a curse, as it means if the bolt carrier is back merely a few millimeters, the weapon will most likely not fire. This, obviously, can be a serious problem to an operator in the field. Generally, when the carrier is allowed to "slam home", it has enough energy to ensure that it goes all the way forward. However, if one does a press-check to ensure the weapon is loaded (as many people do), releasing the carrier from that slightly-rearward condition may not always have enough energy to ensure it "slams home", dirt, sand or wear can make this problem worse.

Hitting the forward assist after a press check is a must... However, the forward assist merely applies force to the carrier... It does not, in any way, assure you that the carrier is actually fully forward. Under some circumstances, you can hit the forward assist as much as you want, and you will not put the carrier into a fully-forward (in-battery) position. This is why many, including Kyle Lamb (Viking Tactics), advise against traditional press-checks, due to the fact that such an out-of-battery condition might "surprise" you with a weapon that just goes "click" on its first shot (definitely not a good thing).

This device, however, ensures that the bolt carrier is fully in battery... If it isn't fully in battery, the dust cover will not close... If the dust cover closes after your press-check, you're good to go! If it refuses to close... Something is fucked up, fix it before going into battle.

If the carrier is slightly out of battery, it may also force the carrier forward until it is properly in-battery. However, unless the carrier is fully forward and in battery (ready to fire), the device/dust cover will not close, 100% of the time.
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 10:41:03 PM EDT
[#1]
GD has really gone downhill in the last year.
ETA.  Ok, that's pretty cool.  At your first post I thought you were drunk.   You have my apologies.

Link Posted: 4/24/2010 10:41:52 PM EDT
[#2]
you don't get a free one

This thread is a placeholder for when I bust my shit out
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 10:41:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Dick Swan already has a patent.  In before the lawsuit!
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 10:43:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't think dude is able to think on this level brah... i'm an engineer and shit =)
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 10:43:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Let me guess you invented the 5.56 NATO?
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 10:44:19 PM EDT
[#6]
35 round magazine eh?
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 10:45:09 PM EDT
[#7]
it's a reliability upgrade... kindof...
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 10:46:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Cleaning it?
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 10:46:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Congratulations on inventing whatever you invented that's the greatest
ever for the AR.  Oh, and this is my place holder for when you
introduce whatever it is that's the greatest cause I'm gonna want one
of whatever it is.
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 10:46:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
GD has really gone downhill in the last year.

Why?

Or how?
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 10:47:17 PM EDT
[#11]
So In
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 10:48:20 PM EDT
[#12]
In for free shit
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 10:48:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I think ARMS already has the dick shaped grip patented.
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 10:48:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I think I know what it is.........seriously. If it's not what I am thinking, I just came up with a hell of an idea.
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 10:49:03 PM EDT
[#15]
If you don't tell us what it is we will all put you on ignore and you will never sell a single one.
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 10:49:06 PM EDT
[#16]
So, you wanted to tell us about something you cant tell us about?

Got it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 10:49:48 PM EDT
[#17]
not fooking around guys...

I'm ex Army..

now an engineer...

put in for patent last week... at risk of blaspheme... it's something that Eugene should have thought of...
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 10:49:49 PM EDT
[#18]
First page.

I heard all first page posters would be product testers.  

Since I live in a desert environment, with lots of sand and lots of heat, I figure I must be way up in the standings...  
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 10:50:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/24/2010 10:51:01 PM EDT
[#20]
The Fleshstock!
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 10:51:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Well Best of luck to you
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 10:51:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The Fleshstock!

LOL
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 10:51:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Oh hell. In on 1.
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 10:52:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.northarvestbean.org/html/images/09-18-06%20wd-40.jpg

In before Old Painless!

Link Posted: 4/24/2010 10:52:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Sweet !  Somebody finally made a Pan Flute Mount!  (whew, almost blew Post # 6K on this)  

Link Posted: 4/24/2010 10:53:18 PM EDT
[#26]
shoulder thingy that goes up?
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 10:53:34 PM EDT
[#27]
tag, oh and the piston design has been thought of...  
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 10:53:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I don't think dude is able to think on this level brah... i'm an engineer and shit =)

Oh.  I was thinking this might amount to something until I read that.  Want to futz around with CAD a bit while some designers figure shit out for real?

ETA: Oh, here I know...bark at people and call yourself a project manager because you're a PE regardless of the fact that you have no idea about anything.  It'll be awesome.

Link Posted: 4/24/2010 10:54:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.northarvestbean.org/html/images/09-18-06%20wd-40.jpg

Maybe he invented a small device that automatically squirts some WD-40 into the action every so many rounds...or maybe some KY
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 10:54:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Well if you're serious, I wish you good luck and cant wait to buy one.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 10:55:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Wait a second....arnt you that guy from Maqpul???
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 10:55:30 PM EDT
[#32]

If it's not this then you fail.
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 10:55:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Oh be sure... I'm serious...
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 10:56:09 PM EDT
[#34]
If you filed for the patent, you are covered.  It is patent pending.  So - spill the beans or get on IGNORE.
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 10:56:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Did you look at Magpul's web site first? They probably already did it.

Link Posted: 4/24/2010 10:56:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If you don't tell us what it is we will all put you on ignore and you will never sell a single one.

Link Posted: 4/24/2010 10:58:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Sweet !  Somebody finally made a Pan Flute Mount!  (whew, almost blew Post # 6K on this)  

HAIL ZAMFIR!!!
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 10:59:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Dibs on guns!
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 10:59:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If you filed for the patent, you are covered.  It is patent pending.  So - spill the beans or get on IGNORE.

did a PPA, not RPA..

when I file for RPA (within the next month hopefully) I will give update and you guys will agree that it is the best evar
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 10:59:38 PM EDT
[#40]
You bought the gas trap design from Dr. Joe?
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 11:00:33 PM EDT
[#41]
The rail mounted tactical beer holder has already been done. You ain't gonna top that.
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 11:01:23 PM EDT
[#42]
nothing to do with the operating system... will work with direct impingment OR piston guns...
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 11:01:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Fuck it, in.
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 11:01:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

did a PPA, not RPA..

when I file for RPA (within the next month hopefully) I will give update and you guys will agree that it is the best evar

So....you have over a month of nothing to share with us, and you decided to post about it now?  

Welcome to my ignore list for the next month, OP.
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 11:01:46 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe your Freakzilla.  I hope the best for your product.  Please put me down for (1) free whatever it is since I was an early supporter lol

Link Posted: 4/24/2010 11:02:05 PM EDT
[#46]
So what's the point of this thread?
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 11:02:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Dang!!! I wish I had thought of that! You are da MAN!
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 11:03:54 PM EDT
[#48]
no-need-to-reload cucumber clips are only in hollywood movies.  but if you have one, i'm buying....
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 11:04:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
In for free shit

Link Posted: 4/24/2010 11:05:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe your Freakzilla.  I hope the best for your product.  Please put me down for (1) free whatever it is since I was an early supporter lol

IM my your address, seriously
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 57
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top