Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2016 11:54:04 PM EDT
I've read all sorts of ratio's, what's the consensus here? I got pure Lanolin and 99% Isopropyl alcohol and the best misting spray bottle I could find on Amazon.

I got a ton of brass to size and not paying for Dillon lube anymore, but I wanna mimic Dillon's recipe. Always had good luck with it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 12:49:26 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I've read all sorts of ratio's, what's the consensus here? I got pure Lanolin and 99% Isopropyl alcohol and the best misting spray bottle I could find on Amazon.

I got a ton of brass to size and not paying for Dillon lube anymore, but I wanna mimic Dillon's recipe. Always had good luck with it.
View Quote
My misting bottles from Amazon came in missing the sprayers.  I still use my OEM Dillon bottle.

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 1:07:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I cut the ration in half and it works well. That thread says 1:8, I found 1:16 works just as well and it's a thinner lube, almost feels like dry lube.  
Very soft, slick, dry feel. Not oily at all.

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 1:09:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I cut the ration in half and it works well. That thread says 1:8, I found 1:16 works just as well and it's a thinner lube, almost feels like dry lube.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah too hard to tumble off, I added more alcohol.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 8:22:21 AM EDT
[#5]
This worked extremely well for me.   One batch of it lasted about a year, and I shoot probably 5K 223/y.  

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 8:26:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been thinking about this as well since I'm about to start reloading .223.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 2:50:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I use about a 12:1 ratio.

Love the stuff.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:18:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 5:23:07 PM EDT
[#9]

If buying HEET, which is what I do because it is 99% isopropyl alcohol and readily available... Get the Iso-Heet in the red bottle.

DO NOT USE METHANOL!

DO NOT USE HEET IN YELLOW BOTTLE.

USE HEET IN RED BOTTLE.... or off brands named Iso- whatever ... which are labeled 99% isopropyl alcohol.

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 5:52:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Sorry Dano....but Good Gosh NO!   This has been covered 1000 times ...  particularly in the aforementioned thread......14 pages of information and counting.....including methanol v iso discussion.

DO NOT USE METHANOL!

USE HEET IN RED BOTTLE ...

Dano,  I am not going to argue about it ....but imo you would be doing everyone a favor if you took down your methanol post just above this one.  

The recipe uses Red Bottle ISO HEET.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just give the brass enough time for the alcohol to evaporate off before the cases are run through through the sizer!!!!!

Hence the alcohol is just being used as a thinning agent so the Lanolin can be applied to the case thinly, and again, you have to allow enough time for the  alcohol to evaporate off.  So if you thin the Lanolin too much, then not only do you need to apply more spray, but having a longer time for the added alcohol to evaporate  off as well.

As for 99% Isopropyl alcohol it works pretty well, since it's evaporation rate is not a monster to evaporate out of spray bottle between uses, but looking for shorter wait times before you can put the cases through the sizerrs, then methanol has a faster evaporation rate instead.
If your looking for a small source amounts of methanol, then a bottle of Heet is just the ticket, since that is what Heet is.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQlfUB3exCv3UTY1gvccqnzsdREUmJPVPRW2ji30_b9q1v7OrD4UiVaFRoOHzRyziVeQWVB8G2D&usqp=CAY

As for a more expensive source for Lanolin,
http://www.bushwear.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/d/adc4myzsx3PJljTdkf54tI4IOcUbyvV7-24_6.jpg

Hence with the two above mixed, you end end up with this (lanolin and  methanol),
https://reloadingunlimited.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/RCBS-Case-Slick-Spray-Lube-4-oz-Pump-510x600.jpg

Sorry Dano....but Good Gosh NO!   This has been covered 1000 times ...  particularly in the aforementioned thread......14 pages of information and counting.....including methanol v iso discussion.

DO NOT USE METHANOL!

USE HEET IN RED BOTTLE ...

Dano,  I am not going to argue about it ....but imo you would be doing everyone a favor if you took down your methanol post just above this one.  

The recipe uses Red Bottle ISO HEET.  

I use isopropyl alky for rubbing sore muscles...  No way in hell I'd use methanol for that... Now, I do use methanol for fuel in the drag car.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 6:04:35 PM EDT
[#11]
The wife drove around today while I was at work trying to source rubbing alcohol a spray bottle and lanolin. She found exactly zero of the three items. All the rubbing alcohol was 91% she couldn't find anything higher than that. She couldn't find any lanolin and at that point she called off the spray bottle search. She said she'd look at work tonight.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 6:38:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The wife drove around today while I was at work trying to source rubbing alcohol a spray bottle and lanolin. She found exactly zero of the three items. All the rubbing alcohol was 91% she couldn't find anything higher than that. She couldn't find any lanolin and at that point she called off the spray bottle search. She said she'd look at work tonight.
View Quote

Amazon. It was cheap, easy, no running around and I found exactly what I needed. It even brought up the other stuff in the "purchased together" thing at the bottom of the page.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 7:14:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

There is NOTHING wrong with 91% iso alky.  Have used it for years.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 7:46:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, then I'll have her pickup 91%. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 8:10:37 PM EDT
[#15]
I used the home made stuff for a 2 years.  

I went back to the RCBS spray lube , I like it better.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 8:31:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

91 works, but iso heet is 99, and in every hardware and auto store in the country (automotive section of your hardware store or Wal-Mart)

Higher proof alky evaporates better.

I order lanolin from Amazon. Cant find it locally in small towns.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 8:54:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 9:51:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm going to mix some up 12:1 and see how it works for me. If it doesn't, I'll kick it up a notch.

I use the box method, but I found this cool old Tupperware one day cleaning out My moms basement, I remember it from when I was a kid. Wish I could have found the lid.

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:05:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:44:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Spray, shake, spray, shake, swish them till they stand up, spray some into the necks, shake, let dry, small spritz, shake, and into the hopper they go. Works just fine.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:46:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 10:16:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

91 works, but iso heet is 99, and in every hardware and auto store in the country (automotive section of your hardware store or Wal-Mart)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just walked into a high end salon, nothing but hot chicks and asked if they had any lanolin. They said no. Then they asked what I needed it for. I left it vague with, "Oh, you don't really want to know what I'm going to use it for."  and walked out. They all had a look of horror on their face. It was awesome.

Looks like I'll be ordering a bottle from Amazon.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 10:19:15 AM EDT
[#23]
I just walked into a high end salon, nothing but hot chicks and asked if they had any lanolin. They said no. Then they asked what I needed it for. I left it vague with, "Oh, you don't really want to know what I'm going to use it for." and walked out. They all had a look of horror on their face. It was awesome.

View Quote

Should have asked for it by name... "Nipple lube."
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 10:33:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

You have the right stuff.  I use the exact same.  I have found that 1:16 is plenty rich enough.  Any thicker and it's VERY easy to put on way to much.

I like the way Dryflash lubes his cases.

But I lay mine all oriented the same on a old plastic water softener salt bag laid flat.  Spray at a 30-45 degree angle at the mouth of the case.  Roll them with your hand until they have been completely covered with lube.

Any way you can figure to get lube inside the neck is good.

After all case prep is completed, I just wash them again with dawn and lemishine or recently have used corn cob grit to tumble off lube.

I've read your threads, you'll figure it out.  But I think 1:16 is what you are looking for.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 10:42:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
I just walked into a high end salon, nothing but hot chicks and asked if they had any lanolin. They said no. Then they asked what I needed it for. I left it vague with, "Oh, you don't really want to know what I'm going to use it for." and walked out. They all had a look of horror on their face. It was awesome.

Dammit!! I should've.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:12:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You have the right stuff.  I use the exact same.  I have found that 1:16 is plenty rich enough.  Any thicker and it's VERY easy to put on way to much.

But I lay mine all oriented the same on a old plastic water softener salt bag laid flat.  Spray at a 30-45 degree angle at the mouth of the case.  Roll them with your hand until they have been completely covered with lube.

After all case prep is completed, I just wash them again with dawn and lemishine or recently have used corn cob grit to tumble off lube.

I've read your threads, you'll figure it out.  But I think 1:16 is what you are looking for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool, Thank You. I do it just like Dryflash, just with a round container.

Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:19:40 AM EDT
[#27]
I settled on about a 14:1 ratio.  I've been using this DIY stuff for the past 6 years and its awesome.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 8:35:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Old pic,, started with RCBS, but for last few yr, been doing Lanolin as I got a few bottle worth free from in-laws..   Have also switched to ISO HEET red bottle too

Spray bottles,, found them in a used car during inspection... still have them

Link Posted: 9/16/2016 10:15:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Sensual Amber and Cucumber melon body splash?

I hope to get to mixing this up and sizing this weekend. I got kicked in the balls by life again Yesterday. I just can't seem to win lately.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 10:32:08 PM EDT
[#30]
I still use 1 gallon zip lock bags to lube my cases in. If I get interrupted, I don't have to worry about dust  or dirt settling on the cases and maybe scratching my dies.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 6:36:38 PM EDT
[#31]
I just mixed up my bootleg case lube. Even though I've had the alcohol and lanolin for a few days; I've been sick so didn't have the energy to mix it up. Still feel like crap but I had a bit more energy to do stuff.

I did the 1:8 mixture from the other thread. Sprayed about forty .223 cases in a one gallon zip lock bag with it. Shook it up and then let them sit in a bin on my bench for a few minutes. It worked great I full length sized all of them without any problems. I then tumbled them for 30 minutes to remove the lube then swagged and trimmed them. I also came to the realization that I need to change my corn cob media; it's getting really dirty.

Now to make a trip to Cabela's for primers and powder, I have cases and 500 55 grain boat tail FMJ projectiles but no powder or primers.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:04:54 AM EDT
[#32]
So, I'm finally feeling better, got out to the bench for awhile today.

I got a 16 fluid ounce bottle of 99% alcohol, and a 4 fluid ounce bottle of Lanolin, so 1:12 means about 1.3 fluid ounce of lanolin to 16 fluid ounce of alcohol, right?

Set my bottle on the scale, measured out 1.3 ounces of lanolin, dumped in 16 fluid ounces of alcohol, ended up with like 14.3 or so ounces of mix. I don't remember what it was now.

But I made a miscalculation when I went from fluid ounces to "regular" ounces. I guess. Never thought about it till my math didn't come out right.

I guess a fluid ounce and ounces are different?  I'll have to Google that.

It's a little darker then Dillon lube. I'll find out how it works tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 6:51:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I got a 16 fluid ounce bottle of 99% alcohol, and a 4 fluid ounce bottle of Lanolin, so 1:12 means about 1.3 fluid ounce of lanolin to 16 fluid ounce of alcohol, right?

Set my bottle on the scale, measured out 1.3 ounces of lanolin, dumped in 16 fluid ounces of alcohol, ended up with like 14.3 or so ounces of mix. I don't remember what it was now.

But I made a miscalculation when I went from fluid ounces to "regular" ounces. I guess. Never thought about it till my math didn't come out right.

View Quote

Mine was a bit dark too. I just added a little more alcohol. I tried measuring it out, but math was never my strong point so I just eyeballed it for the most part.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:39:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ounces are a weight measurement, fluid ounces are a volume measurement. Not related unless you start playing in specific gravity.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:44:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Specific gravity, I was usually stoned in my High School physics class.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 4:42:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Recipe is by volume and it's not critical that you be super precise.

I use 99% isopropyl alcohol ( my employer is required to put an exspiration date on every chemical) slated for disposal from work.
I've used 91% alcohol with good results as well.

My ratio is 16 fluid oz of alcohol to one fluid oz lanolin. Lanolin is very thick at room temp so the warming is critical to getting a good emulsion of lube.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:38:48 PM EDT
[#37]
I'll tell you what, that 99% alcohol will put you down if you get a big enough whiff. Dillon must use 91%.

I got a batch drying right now, may try to go out later and run it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:50:53 AM EDT
[#38]
So I ran about 250 with Dillon lube, and 250 with Homebrew. I like the Homebrew better.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 6:20:45 AM EDT
[#39]
I use 99% alcohol and lanolin mixed 12:1. It's the best stuff I have ever used.

To lube my brass I put t all the cases in a large ziplock bag, spray 3-4 good squirts in the bag, seal it up, then shake/roll the bag around. This gives me pretty evenly covered brass.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:48:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'll tell you what, that 99% alcohol will put you down if you get a big enough whiff. Dillon must use 91%.

I got a batch drying right now, may try to go out later and run it.
View Quote

The 99% dries very quickly and the 16:1 ratio feels almost like a dry lube once the alcohol evaporates.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top