Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2016 3:04:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon]
Reloading For The AR-15:  Swaging Primer Pocket Crimps

Attachment Attached File

In order to reload brass cases that have crimped primer pockets, the crimp must first be removed before a new primer can be seated. There are two basic methods used to achieve this; reaming or swaging.

With reaming, you’re removing material from the case head. With swaging, you’re simply pressing material back into its original position. Of the two methods, my personal preference is for swaging with the Dillon Super Swage 600. The Dillon Super Swage returns the primer pocket more closely to its original condition than any of the other stand-alone tools that I’ve seen used to remove the primer pocket crimp.

The pic below, with a cut-out 223 Remington case in the Super Swage, shows the swaging rod and the case positioning rod to give you an idea of just how the Super Swage works.

Attachment Attached File

The next pic shows the case head of a factory-loaded round that has a crimped primer.

Attachment Attached File

Now, a deprimed case . . .

Attachment Attached File

The case from the above pic that has had the primer pocket swaged with the Super Swage . . .

Attachment Attached File

And a pic with the same case reprimed . . .

Attachment Attached File

This last pic shows the factory-loaded round next to the reprimed case for easy comparison.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 4:20:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Excellent tool, well worth the money.
Thanks for the write-up
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 4:50:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Also why it needs to be adjusted for different brass headstamps.

Nice pics.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 5:09:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 6:33:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I got my super swage last week and used it on 400 rounds this weekend. It's a great tool.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 6:39:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I just got one. Do I need to resize the case again after swaging? I haven't checked before and after specs yet.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 6:42:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ch3no2] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By akethan:
I just got one. Do I need to resize the case again after swaging? I haven't checked before and after specs yet.
View Quote

No, you can proceed to load them.

I'd initially bought one primarily for 223/556, but it does equally well on 7.62 NATO and even military pistol brass.
Changing out the punch for small/large primer pockets is super quick and simple.

Like I said before, excellent tool for any handloader.  
And, the Dillon "No B.S." warranty is outstanding (even though I've never needed it).
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 6:49:04 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

I don't. I size/trim/swage/load, without any issues.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 7:01:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice writeup. I rarely use mine anymore and just swage on my 650.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 7:03:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks Molon. Your threads are invaluable.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 10:46:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 10:53:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you for posting.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 10:57:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By BGENE:

Thank you for posting.

View Quote

Da nada.

Link Posted: 2/28/2016 12:03:27 AM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

When done correctly, it's a one-time process.

Link Posted: 2/28/2016 12:46:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 1:55:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Zero6] [#15]
I have used the Super Swage for the past 5 or so years, but ordered one of these yesterday. I'll see which one wins out.

http://swageit.com/swage-it-s550-combo-swager-for-the-dillon-rl550b/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueigAJHrP2o
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 5:51:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Should one deburr flasholes before swaging primer crimp with this machine?
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 8:48:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Good info thanks.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 12:52:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By RareBear:
View Quote

If you are going to cut them anyway, yes.
If you are not, then at least inspect to make sure the ram isn't coming down on some nasty bur.

Also, keep in mind that some case web designs are different, if you are using that thickness as a datum, be sure you know it matches your assumptions and adjustments.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 4:28:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Having just decrimped several hundred .223/5.56 cases I am thankful for my Super Swage.  I sort by headstamp anyway and load in batches so having to readjust the support rod is no burden.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 5:13:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By RareBear:

View Quote

It helps for uniformity, but it is not absolutely necessary.

Link Posted: 4/9/2016 5:51:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Excellent write up, Molon.

I found that using the RCBS tool was much easier with a bit of case lube on the swage spud.  Since the Super Swage has a very strong camming action both INTO the primer pocket and OUT OF the pocket, that's not as much of an issue, but the next time I go at it (I have a couple gallons of 9mm GI brass I'm going to do sometimes soon), I plan to put a dab of lube on the spud every so often and see how it goes.  If it has any effect, I'll do the same when I decrimp the 1300+ 7.62 NATO cases I have waiting for me to process.

And to reiterate, for anyone who has missed it, the Dillon Super Swage MUST be adjusted for the thickness of your brass' web.  Basically that means when you change headstamps, readjust the tool.  It usually takes only a tiny nudge one way or the other, but expecting every brand of crimped brass to decrimp the same way without adjusting the tool is a great way to overdo the swage on some brands and underdo it on others.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:58:12 PM EDT
[#22]
I've been using my buddy"s SS for a while.

I decided I better get my own, so I just pulled the trigger. It should be here Friday

Question on setting it up. I ran through 4k pieces the first time he loaned it to me. Felt good, brass was easy to prime. All same headstamp.

Last time I borrowed it, I did 1k more same headstamp brass. I guess he had changed the set up because when I went to load it, I was crushing primers.

So how do you know if you are swaging enough? I saw someone on YT using a gauge, but have not been able to find one.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:36:53 PM EDT
[#23]
A picture taken at an angle will more clearly show the radious left by the swager head. It leaves a nice rounded edge for a new primer to enter the pocket.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:37:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Swaging with one since 1986.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 12:52:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Broken pic links repaired.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 1:33:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ChrisGarrett] [#26]
Google the rubber band/string mod to speed things up. Once you get it dialed in, it works pretty well.

Lifts/lowers the case ram auto-majically!

Chris
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 1:38:38 PM EDT
[#27]
I've borrowed my brothers and am trying to get a feel for it - given the scarcity of primers now, I'm trying not to press any in for adjustment but I guess I'll have to.

I also designed this little 3D printed block to help out with 9mm.  Before it didn't want to line up automatically.  Just drops in there, but works great.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top