Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2012 5:38:31 PM EDT
Howdy Everyone. So I bought this digital scale from Brian Enos Website and figured I would do a short review.

I came across this scale while posting in a thread of mine regarding another digital scale. It came recommended by a few members so I looked into it. The price was about where I wanted to be ($135) and after reading some more and talking to Brian, I felt confident in my selection. The biggest selling factor was the Lifetime Warranty. Most other scales carry a 90 day, 1 year, and some up to 5 year but to find one with a Lifetime Warranty is amazing. That says a lot.

The USPS priority box was on my doorstep in two days. Not too shabby! The box was well packed and this is what it contained.

Upon opening the box the scale and its components are individually wrapped in plastic and surrounded by Styrofoam.  

I pulled the scale out of the box and set it up. Included in the box is a manual, AC plugin, plastic wind cover, 200g weight and a RCBS powder pan/funnel.

I hooked up the scale to AC power and let it warm up. After a couple minuet warm up I checked its calibration. The scale was dang near on right out of the box.

I went through the calibration mode which took about a min and started weighing. The scale responded quickly and I love how big the display is. I did notice when I trickled powder there was a delay but I mitigated this by taping the scale pan before trickling powder. I really liked the RCBS pan/funnel as it saved time when dumping powder into the shell cases.

Everything seemed to go smooth and I loaded about 40 rounds of 300blackout. I had the scale powered up for about an hour +. It performed much better than my last scale and seemed to be spot on the entire time.

Now for the pros and cons.

Pros:
Nice big illuminated display
Easy calibration
Decent price
LIFETIME WARRANTY
Super fast Shipping
Very Stable platform

Cons:
No case - You have to package it back in the original box and this is kinda a PITA.
Delay in weighing while trickling powder. This might be with all digital scales and is easily mitigated but still kinda a Pain.
Plastic wind cover is cheesy.

Overall this is a great scale for the money. I can't wait to get some more hours on it and really test it out.

Edit: 1+ year review

Well it's been well over a year since I bought this scale and I figured I would write an update. I have used the scale numerous times and still continue to use it. One thing I have noticed is a random inconsistency with measurements. The scale will give you a # and you can remove the load and drop it in a case. The scale will zero and sometimes if you 're weigh that same load it will be off a few tenths. I usually re calibrate the scale and re weigh. The consistency returns.

I talked to enos and he recommended removing all electronic interference in the room. He also talked about adding a clip on magnet to the 110v cord to remove any possible interference coming from the wall power. I have not tried the magnet but did remove or turn off some of my electronics. I still have a random inconsistency with the scale.
Link Posted: 12/9/2012 5:49:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the review, I was interested in seeing your thoughts on this scale.
Link Posted: 12/9/2012 5:53:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Good review of the scale, but take anything with a "lifetime warranty" with a grain of salt.  It usually means the lifetime of the company, they could go out of business tomorrow

Link Posted: 12/9/2012 6:09:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Good review of the scale, but take anything with a "lifetime warranty" with a grain of salt.  It usually means the lifetime of the company, they could go out of business tomorrow  

Sure. Its to be taken with a grain of salt but its sure better than a company with only a 1 year warranty.
Link Posted: 12/9/2012 7:27:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Awesome thread... I was gonna start a new thread asking the hives opinion on digital scales.

ZA
Link Posted: 12/9/2012 7:30:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Awesome thread... I was gonna start a new thread asking the hives opinion on digital scales.

ZA

I love my old Dillon electronic scale, lots of tips and tricks you can do with it vs a mechanical scale, like just taring it if you want to weigh another charge without removing what's already being weighed.

Tip: if runs off batteries don't store the batteries in it, one day the batteries will corrode and leak

Link Posted: 12/9/2012 8:07:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Just bought this one.... I've lost faith in my Frankford arsenal cheapo.... Had some over pressure rounds at the range today, and I'm suspecting a crapped out scale.

ZA
Link Posted: 12/9/2012 11:51:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 1:15:44 AM EDT
[#8]
MyWeigh makes very very nice scales. I've uses their kitchen scales for a while now. Their warranty is excellent from everything I have heard even though I have never had to use it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 8:39:18 AM EDT
[#9]

The thing to keep in mind is just looking at the box, the sensitivity of this scale is 0.01 gram which is equal to 0.15 grain which is not that sensitive if you are reloading for precision rifle.  The GemPro 250 which is about the same price and also have this "Life time warrenty” can accurately measure down to 0.04 grain which is the standard today for sensitivity.

Link Posted: 12/10/2012 9:24:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Nice report TOTHEMAX.

I'm going to set the toggle to keep this thread out of the archives.

You can always find it fast with the MY Topics button.

Please link this thread up in the Read First thread.

Done and thanks
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 7:12:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The thing to keep in mind is just looking at the box, the sensitivity of this scale is 0.01 gram which is equal to 0.15 grain which is not that sensitive if you are reloading for precision rifle.  The GemPro 250 which is about the same price and also have this "Life time warrenty” can accurately measure down to 0.04 grain which is the standard today for sensitivity.

Damn you.....

Made me cancel my order with Brian Enos and order that one!
The biggest gripe I was thinking about on the BE one was that it didn't have a case.
I don't have a reloading bench, so storage is an issue for me.

ZA
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 7:28:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I found that exact one on amazon for $88.20  with a 30 year factory warranty that's longer then I would probably own the scale. Just offering a lead if anyone is interested
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 7:42:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Howdy Everyone. So I bought this digital scale from Brian Enos Website and figured I would do a short review . . .

Thanks for the review. My problems with several electronic scales are with electrical interference and repeatability. So I'd be interested in how the scale performs in the following tests:

1) After calibrating the scale, put the calibration weight back on the scale. What does it weigh? Repeat 5 times . . . ideally, you should get the same weight each time.

2) With the calibration weight on the scale. wiggle the cord between the wall transformer and the scale (without shaking the transformer or the scale or table). Does the weight change?

3) Plug another wall transformer for any other device into the same or nearby outlet. Try crossing the cords, wiggling both cords, winding them around each other, etc. Of course, do not physically shake the transformers or the scale. Does the weight change?

Link Posted: 12/10/2012 9:36:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Howdy Everyone. So I bought this digital scale from Brian Enos Website and figured I would do a short review . . .

Thanks for the review. My problems with several electronic scales are with electrical interference and repeatability. So I'd be interested in how the scale performs in the following tests:

1) After calibrating the scale, put the calibration weight back on the scale. What does it weigh? Repeat 5 times . . . ideally, you should get the same weight each time.

2) With the calibration weight on the scale. wiggle the cord between the wall transformer and the scale (without shaking the transformer or the scale or table). Does the weight change?

3) Plug another wall transformer for any other device into the same or nearby outlet. Try crossing the cords, wiggling both cords, winding them around each other, etc. Of course, do not physically shake the transformers or the scale. Does the weight change?

Next time I reload I will test this for you.
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 7:04:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 7:12:55 PM EDT
[#16]
A head up a search on Brians form should bring a thread , IIRC he carries 2 scales and they can be found else where for a fair amount less but with a 20yr warranty
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 9:17:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Great review
Link Posted: 4/2/2013 12:55:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Tip: if runs off batteries don't store the batteries in it, one day the batteries will corrode and leak

Tip: Some quality battery manufactures offer a warranty and will replace your damaged item in addition to the batteries.  Prevention first, but if you forget and get a surprise.  

Link Posted: 2/20/2014 4:37:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Most of the companies that offering life time warranty on Electronics have a time limit which is considered as life time of that products. I have bought a scale which have a lifetime warranty of maximum 5 years.  So you must confirm that first before buying any electronic product.
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 6:14:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a check weight that I measures at work to 0.0001 grams over a year ago. Still weights the same on my Gempro 250 (to less digits of course). Different rooms different plugs ect. One trick is to place the pan in the same spot on the scale every time. I put some adhesive felt down to hold a nickel in the center of the scale. Now the weight of the pan is always in the center. Always have to turn the ceiling fan off and turn the heat down so it doesn't blow while I'm weighing.

As for wiggling the cord have not tried I don't have any pets or earth quakes,
accurateshooter.com has a little write up, and a comparison to the PACT Dispenser.
accurateshooter.com write up
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 7:00:10 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote

Here's my 250...

Link Posted: 2/20/2014 9:05:43 AM EDT
[#22]
love my gempro 250.

only time i had wonky results is when i have a vibe cleaner  going on the same power strip. shut it of and back to no problems. I guess i could run it on batteries, but I just leave it plugged in and on 24/7. eliminates the warm-up period.
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 9:46:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Seconded.  
BE is a good resource to buy Dillon gear from, but he's far from the cheapest for the same scale:
The MyWeigh i201 is $106 elsewhere, not $160, while you can get the GemPro 250 for < $120.
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 6:24:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Just ordered up a GemPro 250.  My original digital scale from B Enos seems to be f'd up.  I was getting a pretty wide ES on my work-up loads on my new 550 while trickling onto the digital scale.  Have now set-up the powder measure and was checking that on my RCBS 505 beam scale....it was throwing very consistently and the the 505 seems to check out fine.  Once the new Gem Pro arrives I will be doing some scale cross checking and I will also be loading up some more ammo using the Dillon PM and run those over my chrony to see what the ES comes out like.

i hope the Gem Pro turns out to be trustworthy
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 12:48:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 6:10:18 AM EDT
[#26]
I bought mine here too!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top