Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Polish
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/22/2016 12:41:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rmplstlskn]
For those curious about the Magpul AK/AKM accessories and Tantal compatibility, here is my experience...

My Tantal:

Zhukov-S stock:
Perfect compatibility. No modification needed in any way. Easy install.

MOE AK+ grip:
Perfect compatibility. No modification needed. Easy install.

AKM Handguard:
Here is where the Tantal and Magpul AKM handguards have issues... I did not choose the Zhukov handguard as I did not want to cut off anything on my Tantal as I want the ability to go back to original if needed. And my pic of the original Tantal build on a low-number Nodak receiver can show why I want this ability kept. :-)

The top cover will not fit the Tantal, as the Tantal has a unique tongue-type attachment in the rear and the Magpul top guard is designed for the standard AK lip attachment. I cannot see how the top cover could be made to work, but thankfully the original Tantal handguard mates with the Magpul lower handguard perfectly.

The bottom hanguard and heat shield fits very tightly but it does fit with a bit if shaving of the plastic where the insert  holding blocks at the front of the receiver insert. It takes some tapping, removing, shaving, and some more tapping, but it does fit very nicely and tightly, so zero wiggle or movement. The front of the lower handguard fits perfectly.

But.... The but is that you have to shave the right top front of the lower handguard to allow you access to the roll pin that locks the release lever. That PITA Tantal item I wished was different and easier to operate is covered up by the Magpul lower handguard otherwise. Sadly it is too loose to just leave the release lever without the roll pin. It would suck to have that flip up and your handguards fall off as you are shooting...

So far, I am very happy with the Magpul items on my Tantal. I really am glad to have my folding capability with a decent cheek weld. The Magpul lower handguard seems very well designed and the heat shield should be very effective. The M-LOK capability is also nice as I figure out how to use them to mount a light in the way that best meets my needs. (a future project as I shoot it some to get used to my favorite hand positions using the Magpul gear). The top hanguard is no big loss as there is nothing special about it, sorta thin feeling actually. The Tantal top handguard is more substantial.

I will post picks as the Snowmaggedon 2016 allows...

Rmpl

MAGPUL Tantal pics:

Link Posted: 1/22/2016 1:18:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag for later.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 2:56:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Magpul Tantal pics added
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 2:59:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks great! Thanks for the info, this will go on my project list
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 1:24:16 AM EDT
[#4]
How do you like that Parabellum mount?  Any lateral shift?
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 12:04:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bthorn:
How do you like that Parabellum mount?  Any lateral shift?
View Quote

I have not tested it enough with red dot to the rear section to answer without hesitation, but since I chose to alleviate that possibility as much as possible by mounting the red dot as far forward as possible on that mount, so far, it has been rock solid. Far forward is close to a very rigid mounting point, that being the rear sight base. That connection is solid and is not lateral anything... I really like the Aimpoint Micro in that more rear location than the common hand guard mounting area.

Rmpl
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 12:49:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the detailed info. This has made me reconsider Magpul gear for my tantal.
Page AK-47 » Polish
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top